PDA

View Full Version : My Game impressions

Goldensilence
09-09-2007, 04:27 PM
One: i know the stadium didn't look completely packed but even on the TV it sounded loud and looking to be disrupting the Cheifs offense. Good job in the seats guys and gals!

Two: Good pressure from our front four. I was really pleased with Mario's performance. I hope it's something he can build on and get a goodshot of confidence.Good performance as well from TJ. Excellent play on the int. N.D. once again solid vet leadership and good play on the field. I really think signing him was one of the best moves.

Three: Nice first game by Matt Schaub and the offense. I know leadership gets thrown around...but the thing i saw was poise. There was a few plays where he extended the play with his legs and found an open man. Never seemed rattled even after the pick. AJ...stud. Jones will be the #2 by the end of the year... it keeps looking harder and harder to keep him off the field. The thing that impressed me the most was after a long drive and a score by the cheifs that seemed t oget a little momentum. Schaub and the offense sealed the deal with a 10 minute drive! Impressive.

Overall solid job offensively. Defense played GREAT. St were solid as well... I think Jones did himself a slight disservice (so to speak)doing so well with PR in the pre-season.Solid win against a playoff team last year. I know there's a lot of questions with that KC team. But it's an impressive win nonetheless.

I want to say something good about the KC team. Got a lot of work to do obviously and once again questionable game management by Herm. I think Bowe looked impressive though and it'll be a good thing to have him get some game experience. The defense was pretty good too by KC. Good pressure upfront.Our line held up enough.

Congrat Texas! :fans:

Wolf
09-09-2007, 04:32 PM
one BIG thing I noticed was our 2 minute offense... we threw still and showed me that Kubiak has confidence in Schaub

we didn't see that type of offense last season in that situation

jaybird
09-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Just to follow up with what you said

Stadium - to me it looked pretty packed. Never heard how many were there.. but it was LOUD. Great to see the players really getting into it. Anyone see Kris Brown on the sidelines several times leading the cheers? That's the loudest I've heard it for a Texans game in awhile. Great job by the fans. Truely a homefield advantage today. I hope the roof stays closed all season

Mario had a great game IMO. He had a lot of double team, constently was giving the Chief's OL trouble. The DL played a solid game. Even though I had a feeling that the chiefs would have some trouble running just for the simple fact that LJ didn't play much, he's still a great player and the Texans held him in check

With that said the OL looked average to below average. I know we got some points, but there were several plays where Matt was running for his life or there would be a Chief defensive player in the backfield before Green even got the ball. The OL NEEDS to improve

With that said. Matt did a very nice job today. His play fakes are fantastic! And he typically gets the ball away quickly.

Also, I was happy to see how much JJ was involved early in the game, but it felt like we went away from him in the second half. Would be nice to keep him involved. KC did a nice job of not kicking to him on punts. And I tell you what, the crowd LOVES him on returns. That guy has a TON of energy!! He's the first one in the tunnel and the loudest guy in there.

Overall a very good game. Need to keep it up on the road next week. It'd be nice to be 2-0 going up against Indy.

JohnsonFan
09-09-2007, 04:52 PM
the stadium was 99 percent full

ccdude730
09-09-2007, 05:37 PM
OFFENSE
the offense did pretty well minus a few things. i thought we left some points on the field at the end of the first half. we had an opportunity to run a 2 minute drill and we kept moving backwards. it was poor blocking up front by steve that allowed a sack and green getting stuffed behind the line.

schaub did good on his reads and buying time. he had a toss in the endzone where he underthrew AJ but otherwise i thought he did really good today. one of the plays that stands out to me is the 3rd down play where edwards (i think) had a clear path at him and he flipped it over another LB to daniels for the first down. excellent play that we probably wouldnt have converted last season.

DEFENSE
as for the defense, i was starting to get a little worried after the chiefs first drive, but they came back and played exceptional. our DLine was getting pressure but i would have liked to see a little more blitzing to see how it would have affected their offense. Mario and TJ both came to play today.

i was a little worried with simmons leaving with his injury but i was pleasantly surprised with von hutchins at FS. not sure how his play today will affect cc brown whenever boulware is ready to start.

SPECIAL TEAMS
turk booting the ball was pleasant. a 53 and a 59 yarder i believe...the coverage unit needs some work though. they made some plays early on (anderson) but they also allowed too many yards in the chiefs return game. JJ didnt do much on the punt returns, but i think he was just wanting to get the ball in his hands to make a play.
:texflag:

jaybird
09-09-2007, 05:41 PM
OFFENSE
it was poor blocking up front by steve that allowed a sack and green getting stuffed behind the line.

schaub did good on his reads and buying time. he had a toss in the endzone where he underthrew AJ but otherwise i thought he did really good today.

Two things... first off I completely agree with you on the blocking... it looked like he just took those plays off or something because he looked horrible.

And I think it was more of a miscommunication with the INT. AJ broke of his route and Matt threw it to the outside where AJ ran to the inside... I think Matt should have lofted one up there for him. It wasn't really 'under thrown' just a misread/miscommunication between the two from where I was sitting.

FirstTexansFan
09-09-2007, 05:42 PM
it was poor blocking up front by steve that allowed a sack

Not to be argumentative, but I've reviewed that play three times here at the house. The block was missed by Chester Pitts, McKinney only looks guilty as he leaves his man to come over in an attempt to block the guy penetrating. Also, Pitts was getting his rear chewed on the sideline by Kubiak after the play :) The other sack given was the responsibility of Salaam or the running back, they missed the guy creeping up on the line.

JohnsonFan
09-09-2007, 05:43 PM
there was one guy on their D who kept running over pitts and mckinney who was that?

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2007, 05:44 PM
there was one guy on their D who kept running over pitts and mckinney who was that?

Boone, I believe.

DBCooper
09-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Good game overall.

Sloppy at times.

We were able to capitalize on some mistakes.

Mario played well. Touchdown!

Who was that wearing Travis Johnson's jersey, Pac-Man? lol

We were able to convert some first downs when we needed them.

The main thing that stuck out was being able to run the ball and control the clock. 12 minute drive? wow. We only got 3, but wow.

Schaub looked pretty decent, a few passes he should not have made, but overall pretty good.

Mckinney got man-handled.

Defense hits hard.

W

1-0

We'll have our hands full next week, but I'm enjoying today.

ccdude730
09-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Not to be argumentative, but I've reviewed that play three times here at the house. The block was missed by Chester Pitts, McKinney only looks guilty as he leaves his man to come over in an attempt to block the guy penetrating. Also, Pitts was getting his rear chewed on the sideline by Kubiak after the play :) The other sack given was the responsibility of Salaam or the running back, they missed the guy creeping up on the line.

i saw it briefly but didnt really get a chance to view it again and what it looked like was they both started to double the DT then pitts let mckinney go 1 on 1 with him while he turned to help double the end with salaam.

whatever happened, the coaching staff will make sure that everyone knows their assignments.

edo783
09-09-2007, 05:55 PM
IMO, we played reasonably well, certainly well enough to win. However, KC made us look better than we actually played. 1st quarter I was worried and then we seemed to start playing with more confidence and as the game went on we did better.

FirstTexansFan
09-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Well ya had two plays in a row where that guy just blew both of them out. After that, nothing, so they made whatever adjustment they needed to stop that BS hehe If this was a Capers coached team, they would have had to go to the next series, look at the aerial shots, and still fail in adjusting. Our coaching staff rocks ;)

4Texans
09-09-2007, 05:57 PM
With that said. Matt did a very nice job today. His play fakes are fantastic! And he typically gets the ball away quickly.

His fakes were solid. He sold those like a slick used car salesman. :shades: I couldn't believe how he was practically left alone out there on the bootleg, where he ended up throwing the INT.

gwallaia
09-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Just got back from the game. Surely this has been mentioned but I'm going to say it anyway.

The drive for the FG in the 4th quarter burned 10 minutes and 18 seconds off the clock. Way to pound the ball on the ground and eat up the clock. That's how you win football games. Excellent drive by the Texans!

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Just got back from the game. Surely this has been mentioned but I'm going to say it anyway.

The drive for the FG in the 4th quarter burned 10 minutes and 18 seconds off the clock. Way to pound the ball on the ground and eat up the clock. That's how you win football games. Excellent drive by the Texans!

Why, yes, now that you mention it, we were pretty pleased with...

THE LONGEST LASTING DRIVE IN TEXANS HISTORY TO END WITH A SCORE. :specnatz:

YoungTexanFan
09-09-2007, 06:10 PM
we had an opportunity to run a 2 minute drill and we kept moving backwards. it was poor blocking up front by steve that allowed a sack and green getting stuffed behind the line.

McKinney did look bad most of the game, but Pitts looked horrible. Quite possible the worst game he has played in the last few years. Pitts alone costs us that 2 minutes drill at the end of the first half. He had a penalty and then completely missed his assignment. 35 yards to go for the first down, after 25 yards of Chester penalties.

HotRodsHair
09-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Two things that really stuck out to me.

One) What a great play action fake on the long TD pass! They totally sold it.

Two) When you have a two TD lead entering the fourth quarter, the other team just closed it to fourteen with their first FG and their feeling their oats a bit, it sure doesn't hurt to be able to run off a totally demoralizing 10 minute 36 second drive with ten straight runs. Very, very impressive. Completely iced the game.

Oh yeah, and the DL ROCKED!!!!!

real
09-09-2007, 06:14 PM
McKinney did look bad most of the game, but Pitts looked horrible. Quite possible the worst game he has played in the last few years. Pitts alone costs us that 2 minutes drill at the end of the first half. He had a penalty and then completely missed his assignment. 35 yards to go for the first down, after 25 yards of Chester penalties.

Schaub ran into that sack.

HardcoreTexan
09-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Definatly a few mistakes that will hopefully be worked on this week...but starting the season with a big win sure does feel good:fans:

Spike
09-09-2007, 06:18 PM
I missed the beginning of the game, as our games take second billing to Titans games in Austin.

My initial impression of the game was the same thing that I saw in the pre-season - First and foremost, this is a much improved team on both sides of the ball from what we had two years ago and even at the end of last season. KC is far from the best team we will play this season, but I was still happy to see the Texans maintain control of the entire game.

I only saw the interception by Schaub on replay which looked sloppy - but his the long TD pass and his ability to keep the chains moving really impressed me. The offensive line didn't look great by any means, but we were still able to get some push on runs and they were able to hold the rush for long enough to move the ball vertically. We shot ourselves in the foot with turnovers and penalties, but at the end of the day, we were able to move the ball and sustain drives consistently. We left some points on the field today - but even without sexy numbers, the offense put points up and was able to keep the clock moving when they needed to.

I was really happy with the play of the defense. Overall, the line was able to get pressure. I was happy to see Mario get the fumble recovery for the TD, but was happier to see him get pressure on the QB and record two sacks. TJ made am impact today. I thought the LB corp did an excellent job stuffing the run and coming in for support after initial stops. The secondary didn't let anyone get behind them.

I think this was a good first game for the team. We played well and were in control the entire game, but I think that there is a lot of room for improvement on both sides of the ball - especially the offense.

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Schaub ran into that sack.

Did Schaub run into that sack or was that on Pitts?

McKinney and Pitts were doubling on... Boone?... and Salaam was handling a guy alone. Pitts left McKinney to help Salaam (who didn't need help) and that allowed Boone to move up through where Pitts had vacated and get the sack.

Initially, I thought Schaub ran into it but after watching the replay, I don't think so. I think that was a brain fart by Pitts.

real
09-09-2007, 06:39 PM
I think Pitts messed up, but I also think Schaub ran into the sack.

I don't know if it is Schaubs lack of faith in our interior O-line, or just a tendency that he has, but he loves to run outside of the pocket to buy xtra time vs. stepping up into the pocket...

Haven't re-watched the game, so I'm going off memory, but I believe Shcaub could have stepped up into the pocket on that play instead of trying to roll out to buy time..

Runner
09-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Overall a very nice game. Dre Johnson was outstanding, the D-line looked good, and the team capitalized on turnovers. The offense had some good to very good drives, although I'd like to see them score more points on those drives. It was good the team scored on the turnovers (field goal and Mario's TD), but Dre's long catch was the only offensive touchdown. The offense needs to get more points on the board. I don't think the o-line looked much different than before; they had good and bad play intermingled. The difference this year is that Schaub took advantage of the times they played solid rather than panicing on every play. That made the offense look better as a whole.

Overall, I'd say the Texans were an average team today. Much better than many games before, but plenty of room for improvement. They looked like they belonged in the NFL and were talented enough to execute their plans and impose their will at times.

beerlover
09-09-2007, 08:46 PM
from field level you get a much different view of the trenches, the battles on the line of scrimmage. This was the best the Texans front four have ever looked, they applied pressure, closed down running lanes & overall dominated the Chiefs offensive line. They deserve a solid B+ & may very well be the strength of this team.

the offensive line getting pummled from the left side & interior. the Texans where most effective going to the right side, Weary was solid & Winston is looking like a stud, but as been already mentioned the Center to the LT was suspect. overall grade a C, an area for much improvement.

the skilled players WR (Johnson, Walters & Jones) are the best ever. the RB tandem of Green & Dayne is also the best ever. under the cool direction of new QB Matt Schaub this facet of the team has made tremendous strides. still along way to go but you can see the parts working just need to be put them together, which should happen in time, B.

Linebacking lead by DeMeyco is solid if not outstanding, good sideline to sideline coverage just need to shutdown the middle a little more, B.

secondary played well today, Dunta is always around the ball, Faggins & Simmons also strong but may lack quality depth. but I was pretty happy overall with their play & give them a C+.

Special teams, excellent. no big returns today but they will come. need to wrap up better on the tackling but Turk can really punt the living crap out of the ball & Chris Brown is still solid, I'll give them a B today but look for more in the future.

Overall a very satisfying day @ Relient, not the greatest game but the entertainment value seems worth the wait, finally. winning helps too :logo:

Texans Horror
09-10-2007, 09:43 AM
There were too many mistakes, but it's also the first game, so I understand that much of this should be corrected. At the same time I am still suspect of the o-line and the defensive secondary. KC does not have an outstanding secondary, especially with Larry Johnson not really in the game. It will be interesting to see how the Texans' secondary grades out against Steve Smith and Jake Delhomme.

The o-line made a lot of sloppy mistakes, and their run-blocking never looked that good. Schaub seemed able to make the most of the o-line's ineffectivity, but still got sacked and hurried. And this was against a line that lacked Jared Allen.

Speaking of KC's Defensive Line, the Texans should have had a better run game. They must have a better run game. 70+ yards from Green, with too many yards in garbage time. Dayne did fine - he did what he is supposed to do, which is put a fresh pair of legs behind a juggernaut and just pound the line starting in the third and fourth quarter. He is there to punish the line, not necessarily break out big runs.

I am very happy with the result of this game. AJ looked great. Jacoby showed flashes. Of course the D-line played very well (as they should). It should be a milestone game for the Texans. They didn't win on luck. They didn't win because the other team had an off-day. They outplayed the guys on the other side of the line.

At the same time, before we put them in the play-offs, the Texans have a long ways to go. The next two weeks (Carolina and Indy) will give a much better determination of who the Texans are.