PDA

View Full Version : Mario Williams and the DL

Wolf
09-09-2007, 03:13 PM
I don't want to jinx the guy, and I know one game doesn't make a season and the whole "it is a team effort".... I know all that, but this is something I have been waiting for , for about 17 real games now and when I see something written like this, I am in disbelief.... now I need ESPiN to make me come down to earth(or maybe Carolina)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20070909034

This is the Mario Williams the Houston Texans have been waiting for.

Last year's top overall pick returned a fumble for a touchdown, had five tackles including two sacks to help the Texans to a 20-3 win over the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday.

I also know that every game ,Mario isn't going to have stats like that

I hope this game is a spring board for our DL and their confidence..

and for TJ, beautiful read on the INT ..I hope it gets you started too ..more they do the better for Okoye to grow and take pressure off
:texflag:

feebleminded
09-09-2007, 03:37 PM
I don't want to jinx the guy, and I know one game doesn't make a season and the whole "it is a team effort".... I know all that, but this is something I have been waiting for , for about real 17 games now and when I see something written like this, I am in disbelief.... now I need ESPiN to make me come down to earth(or maybe Carolina)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20070909034

I also know that every game ,Mario isn't going to have stats like that

I hope this game is a spring board for our DL and their confidence..

and for TJ, beautiful read on the INT ..I hope it gets you started too ..more they do the better for Okoye to grow and take pressure off
:texflag:

I don't know if you could see it on TV but the funny thing about that play was that Travis and Amobi were all confused on the substitution. Travis literally barely made it 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage at the snap after running in from the sideline. Good hands for the big guy.

real
09-09-2007, 03:39 PM
heeeeeeeeeeeey, and I love it!

gg no re
09-09-2007, 03:43 PM
I don't know if you could see it on TV but the funny thing about that play was that Travis and Amobi were all confused on the substitution. Travis literally barely made it 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage at the snap after running in from the sideline. Good hands for the big guy.

That was what made the interception so much more wonderful

TJ was late to the line and once he got there the ball just landed in his hands

jaybird
09-09-2007, 03:44 PM
That was what made the interception so much more wonderful

TJ was late to the line and once he got there the ball just landed in his hands

Maybe that's what Damon never say him. It was a great catch

JohnsonFan
09-09-2007, 03:45 PM
All i have to say about mario to you all is.... I TOLD YA SO!!! omg i knew he would break out i said it he is worth the pick! GO MARIO

Wolf
09-09-2007, 03:46 PM
All i have to say about mario to you all is.... I TOLD YA SO!!! omg i knew he would break out i said it he is worth the pick! GO MARIO

give it time padawan , give it time

AGGIEZ
09-09-2007, 04:54 PM

Sorry buddy, but if you sunshine pumpers are going to gripe at us for calling Mario a bust after 1 season and 2 pre-seasons, you sure as hell can't call Mario a freaking Pro-bowler\furture hall of famer after 1 good game.

If he has double digit sacks this year, I may start to rethink my feelings on how he wasn't worthy of a Top 5 pick much less our #1 overall, but that remains to be seen...

real
09-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Aggie, Mario is a good football player.

That's prett much the end of that.

How good he is going to be is going to be up to him.

DBCooper
09-09-2007, 05:00 PM

Give it a rest JohnsonFan, one your first posts was "Mario = is one of the biggest busts in history"

NitroGSXR
09-09-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm very happy with Mario but here's my question which pertains to the rest of the DL and N.D. Kalu in particular. Will N.D. Kalu miss any games? He cracked several bones in his hand according to ESPN. He injured his hand during the game and had it placed in a cast before returning. His return was a good sign but on the other hand... are we pushing it here? If he misses games then who would be inserted into his slot in the rotation? All of a sudden our defensive line just got a little thinner with the trade of Babin (which I supported) and now maybe the loss of Kalu. Did we overspend ourselves against a paltry Kansas City offensive line? I think we just may have.

jaybird
09-09-2007, 06:43 PM
He should be ok with a cast on it... might affect his play a little bit, but I expect him to still play.

Second Honeymoon
09-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Mario showed some ability to rush the passer and hurried a few throws as well. Both of his sacks and his fumble return were team plays, but Mario was there to make the play and you gotta give him credit for it.

I couldn't have envisioned a better start to the season except I would have liked Jacoby to get loose once or twice as WR and as KR/PR.

FWIW - Travis Johnson now looks like he cares and looks to be in good shape. Maybe all this is going to come together finally this year :)
*fingers crossed*

I <3 my Texans!!!!

Texans Horror
09-09-2007, 07:19 PM
What I liked was seeing an interception by Dunta, an interception by TJ, and a fumble recovered for a touchdown by Mario, marking the most productive effort by our last three first round picks that I have seen. My hat's off to them. It was great seeing all three of them having an impact in a game.

Wolf
09-09-2007, 07:21 PM
http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/nfl-football-central/58763-mario-williams.html

only 2 posts on carolina thread about him

Pantherstang84
09-09-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm very happy with Mario but here's my question which pertains to the rest of the DL and N.D. Kalu in particular. Will N.D. Kalu miss any games? He cracked several bones in his hand according to ESPN. He injured his hand during the game and had it placed in a cast before returning. His return was a good sign but on the other hand... are we pushing it here? If he misses games then who would be inserted into his slot in the rotation? All of a sudden our defensive line just got a little thinner with the trade of Babin (which I supported) and now maybe the loss of Kalu. Did we overspend ourselves against a paltry Kansas City offensive line? I think we just may have.

You never overspend when you get the W. This is NFL football injuries happen.

Wolf
09-09-2007, 07:26 PM
http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/carolina-panthers/58762-did-anyone-notice-what-mario-doing-today.html

another thread

jaybird
09-09-2007, 07:31 PM
http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/carolina-panthers/58762-did-anyone-notice-what-mario-doing-today.html

another thread

I like how they make it look so easy to beat the offensive... just shut down AJ lol... yeah... it's that easy... and I have a feeling if you shut down AJ you'll be getting a lot of JJ on the other side ;)

NitroGSXR
09-09-2007, 07:36 PM
You never overspend when you get the W. This is NFL football injuries happen.
I know that injuries happen. What I meant by overspending was that this occured in the fourth quarter. We had already put the game away. We had a 20 point lead. I did not mean overspending in terms of money. Just wanted to be sure we were clear on that. N.D. Kalu is our vereran who's anchoring our youngsters. We have to do our best not to lose him by playing him smart. Did we really need Kalu in the fourth? To the point to bring him back into the game with a cast? I really don't know about that. I can understand if this happened in the first half and him returning for the second but cheeeeee. Leaving the game long enough to get a cast put on and then returning just seems like an overspend. We have depth on that defensive line, don't we? I realize it's a littler thinner without Babin but it's plently deep. I would have maybe reinserted Kalu in the game if his replacement was sputtering or something.

**DISCLAIMER**

I do not claim to be a guru. I'm just your typical average die-hard Texans fan who genuinely wants to understand the game on a deeper level. I can only submit my thoughts and logic of thinking until shown that there's a better option. So let's talk rationally, folks!

Wolf
09-09-2007, 07:40 PM
IMO it is one of those things that when it happens we say "Why keep the guy in" but on the other hand, if Kubiak took the guys out and the Chiefs came back.we'd be saying"Texans choked"

To me it was bad luck

Second Honeymoon
09-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Give it a rest JohnsonFan, one your first posts was "Mario = is one of the biggest busts in history"

owned?

Pantherstang84
09-09-2007, 07:52 PM
IMO it is one of those things that when it happens we say "Why keep the guy in" but on the other hand, if Kubiak took the guys out and the Chiefs came back.we'd be saying"Texans choked"

To me it was bad luck

Exactly. You don't call off the dogs until the last second expires from the clock.

beerlover
09-09-2007, 07:55 PM
what the cameras fail to show you is the love & respect Mario feeds off from his teammates. they really gravitate towards him, he is their leader & as he assumes more & more of the leadership role his game will flourish. its not all about Mario its about his defense, his teammates, his team :logo: I'm not sure you can say the same thing about Bush, seems to me like he is more all about himself, I don't know I guess were seeing history play itself out now:shades:

jaybird
09-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Exactly. You don't call off the dogs until the last second expires from the clock.

Or you know for sure you're going to win... I'm ok with calling off the dogs early... but in this case I was fine with coach keeping everyone in there and playing hard.

Maddict5
09-09-2007, 08:12 PM
owned?

do you really have to ask? :)

+ rep DBCooper, - rep johnsonfan... the circle of life

TEXANRED
09-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Mario was fantastic today, he showed up to play.

This is the Mario that I was hoping to see last year, he got into the back field, he made plays, closed lanes, and was disruptive.

Hell, the whole line was freakin fantastic. TJ's int was phenomenal.

Hookem Horns
09-09-2007, 08:21 PM
If he has double digit sacks this year, I may start to rethink my feelings on how he wasn't worthy of a Top 5 pick much less our #1 overall, but that remains to be seen...

Hey, no matter how he turns out at least we weren't duped by the media into taking Reggie Bust. Just think of how bad that would be right now.

Leahmic223
09-09-2007, 08:40 PM
what the cameras fail to show you is the love & respect Mario feeds off from his teammates. they really gravitate towards him, he is their leader & as he assumes more & more of the leadership role his game will flourish. its not all about Mario its about his defense, his teammates, his team :logo: I'm not sure you can say the same thing about Bush, seems to me like he is more all about himself, I don't know I guess were seeing history play itself out now:shades:

I'm going to give you rep for this...

Football is the ultimate team sport IMO. In bball, you can literally bring one guy in and all of sudden you are a contender. In Baseball...well offensively it is about matchups, Hitter vs Pitcher simple. Although the fielders do have to have chemistry.

Football though...everyone has to respect eachother, every one has to get along as a team, and you HAVE to play as a team IMO. How many superbowls are won with guys like Terrell Owens? How many superbowls are won with guys like Jerry Rice?

Mario did so much for him (not to undermine the whole dline because they did GReat...just great. TJ ended it with a INT also...man I am excited)

I think we building something special here in Houston fellas, I really do. Whether we draft a CB or HB next year in the 1st round I think 2008 and beyond is our time...or I hope lol.

Jackofalltrades
09-09-2007, 08:47 PM
We're just not that worried about Williams. Our line sees the prolific sack duo in the NFL every day at practice.

Williams may live up to his billing some day, but he has a ways to go.

I come in peace.

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2007, 08:51 PM
We're just not that worried about Williams. Our line sees the prolific sack duo in the NFL every day at practice.

Williams may live up to his billing some day, but he has a ways to go.

I come in peace.

We're aware that our d-line has a lot of improving to do. It was just good to see them starting to come together today. Granted, it was against the Chefs... but still. It's been a long, long time since we beat someone we were supposed to beat.

Jackofalltrades
09-09-2007, 08:55 PM
We know the feeling, we have a penchant for losing very winnable games.

I do think you guys have made some strides, but in the AFC you're either dominant or your at home come the post season. Can't exactly say the same for the NFC lately.

Wolf
09-09-2007, 09:04 PM
what's to stop him? THREE defenders?!?!

ya'll just keep on with it. he'll get to do his "sssh-ing the critics" move after every sack for his whole career.

he can't do it...well, he can do it, but it's only the preseason...alright, but it was only one game...

i wasn't bashing him and I was just saying I know there is a ying and a yang in his play.. I know there is a balance

heck I'd love every game he had 5 tackles 2 sacks and a td
it would give him 80 tackles 32 sacks and 16 tds for the season..

Wolf
09-09-2007, 09:29 PM
i certainly don't expect him to have a career day everytime he plays either, but i think it's funny that as soon as he does something right someone has to say that, "it was only one game" or, "there will be games where he doesn't score a td" and so on...

besides...there is nothing stopping mario from having 32 sacks.

I agree with that, yet I am the type that tries to stay level so to speak.

there are going to be ups and downs

DBCooper
09-09-2007, 11:25 PM
We're aware that our d-line has a lot of improving to do. It was just good to see them starting to come together today. Granted, it was against the Chefs... but still. It's been a long, long time since we beat someone we were supposed to beat.

That's an important point you make.

We have always had trouble winning the games we are supposed win.

I hope this is a trend. You have to win these types of games.

nero THE zero
09-09-2007, 11:30 PM
This is something of note I haven't seen mentioned:
Texans DE N.D. Kalu cracked bones in his hand and returned to the game after getting a cast put on it in the fourth quarter.

Also, apparently Kubiak said he expected a big game from Mario because he had the best practice of his career Thursday.

YellerLotYeller
09-09-2007, 11:58 PM
This is something of note I haven't seen mentioned:
Texans DE N.D. Kalu cracked bones in his hand and returned to the game after getting a cast put on it in the fourth quarter.

Also, apparently Kubiak said he expected a big game from Mario because he had the best practice of his career Thursday.

In the locker room it sounded like Kubiak was so proud of Kalu after getting the sack, he almost choked up.

ledzeppelin229
09-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Kalu is the perfect guy for the young D-Line..he always shows up to play.

JamesC
09-10-2007, 01:56 AM
I was glad to see Mario and the rest of the D-line step up the intensity today. I've been pretty critical of Mario in the past so I told my friend eating crow never tasted so good. Now I just hope he can keep up the intensity next week.

BattleRedToro
09-10-2007, 06:58 AM
I was literally jumping out of my chair with glee when Mario took that fumble in for a TD. I have been a vocal supporter of him from Day 1, and I have been derided for it amongst my coworkers as well.

But, as much as I loved seeing the sacks and TD return, what really stood out to me was the way that the entire Defense shut down the run and Larry Johnson in particular. I know he didn't practice much during the preseason but the last time he came to Reliant Stadium he ran for over 200 yards. To hold him under 50 this time is a great improvement, and ultimately led to to the sacks by forcing Kansas City to throw.