PDA

View Full Version : Gameday Preview from HPF

DocBar
09-07-2007, 10:48 AM
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/preview/2007/week01.html
Pretty good read as usual.

Vinny
09-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Mohr does a good job writing for their previews...this is the most notable change from the Texans 1.0 imo2. Throw More Than 1 TD
In David Carr’s final 32 games as a Texan, he threw for two or more touchdowns in just five games. He threw none in 14 games. Any wonder why the Texans were 8-24? The team has to make plays in the passing game and it's up to Kubiak to help his new protégé out by devising a smart, effective gameplan against a team that should be easy pickings, relatively speaking.

gtexan02
09-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Why is everyone so convinced of the crappiness of the Chiefs D?
They ranked 11th (I think) in points allowed last season, bolstered their LB corps significantly and upgraded their starters at both DL and S. Not to mention some of their guys were young and should be entering their prime

Vinny
09-07-2007, 03:06 PM

homervision

Errant Hothy
09-07-2007, 03:09 PM
homervision

That and the suspension of Allen I think are the biggest culprits.

:fans: :texflag: :fans:

Mr. White
09-07-2007, 03:13 PM
The Chiefs D is pretty damn good. Our only hope against them is that we can wear them out by keeping them on the field.

If we turn the ball over on offense, all bets are off.

The Pencil Neck
09-07-2007, 03:17 PM
They ranked 11th (I think) in points allowed last season, bolstered their LB corps significantly and upgraded their starters at both DL and S. Not to mention some of their guys were young and should be entering their prime

Honestly, they could be really good. It's going to be a good test of our offense. I think they were like 15th in yardage allowed last year.

DBCooper
09-07-2007, 03:21 PM
homervision

Does that come in HD?

The Pencil Neck
09-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Does that come in HD?

HR... High Rosecolored.

DBCooper
09-07-2007, 03:45 PM
HR... High Rosecolored.

lol

Would that be rose colored Kool-Aid?

JohnsonFan
09-07-2007, 03:47 PM
thanks, interesting read

Specnatz
09-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Why is everyone so convinced of the crappiness of the Chiefs D?They ranked 11th (I think) in points allowed last season, bolstered their LB corps significantly and upgraded their starters at both DL and S. Not to mention some of their guys were young and should be entering their prime

I think the Colts game from a couple years ago where they got punked so bad that on Tuesday the jokes were Indy just score another touchdown on KC. So that still has people questioning there defense.

Lucky
09-07-2007, 04:12 PM
They ranked 11th (I think) in points allowed last season, bolstered their LB corps significantly and upgraded their starters at both DL and S.
How can anyone really know whether the Chiefs defense will be good or not? The KC defense that was on the field last season won't be playing in Reliant Stadium on Sunday. With their best defensive player on suspension, the Chiefs will be playing 6 new starters on defense. Maybe they'll be better than last season. Maybe not. You won't know until they play.

But, I don't think it's blind homerism to point out that the Chiefs D has flaws. Jared Allen is their best defensive player, hands down. He causes disruption along the line and KC can't replace that. The linebacking corps of Johnson, Harris, and Edwards has speed, but they aren't strong against the run. Harris is still young, but has already bounced around the league. Edwards is in his 12th season and hasn't played the WLB spot in 6 years. Derrick Johnson is talented, but has been a questionable tackler since entering the league.

Law and Surtain are wily, vet corners. But, they can't handle WRs all over the field. Behind them are a couple of 2nd year players. Page and Pollard may become an upgrade over the vets the Chiefs deployed at safety last season. But, they'll probably be better in week 16 than week 1. These noobs deserve to be tested downfield.

What I'm saying is that you can't just look at last year's numbers and tell if a team or a unit will be good or bad the following year. With Allen missing, plus the turnover of personnel, I think it's fortunate the Texans are facing KC early, rather than later in the season.

mridge01
09-07-2007, 04:28 PM
This is my official first post on this forum. I never knew about it. I like it. There is a lot of activity here compared to some others. Aside from that, I like the Texans in a tight one clinched in the 4th quarter by a Brown FG. If the Texans d-line let Huard stand back there like they are allergic to him, all bets are off. I don't think they need to rush consistently since they obviously aren't capable of it, but in 3rd down and passing situations definitely and maybe one or two other times that could lead to turnovers. I expect a Texans win 20-17, but have visions of many a pedestrian QB looking like a probowl MVP against a nonexistent Texans pass rush.

Dallas_Texan
09-07-2007, 04:38 PM
This is my official first post on this forum. I never knew about it. I like it. There is a lot of activity here compared to some others. Aside from that, I like the Texans in a tight one clinched in the 4th quarter by a Brown FG. If the Texans d-line let Huard stand back there like they are allergic to him, all bets are off. I don't think they need to rush consistently since they obviously aren't capable of it, but in 3rd down and passing situations definitely and maybe one or two other times that could lead to turnovers. I expect a Texans win 20-17, but have visions of many a pedestrian QB looking like a probowl MVP against a nonexistent Texans pass rush.

Let's hope you're right newbie....but only about the win:shades:

Wolf
09-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Key to our defense is we have to get a hat on Tony G .... esp on 3rd down, we have to shut down drive continuing plays ...I have lost track of the am't of times a TE would get open and burn us on 3rd down..With our front 4 that we have now, we need to produce pressure and not let Tony run free