PDA

View Full Version : Dunta distracted??

Marcus
09-05-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm a little worried about how prepared mentally that DRob will be for the game Sunday.

Being held up at gunpoint and in fear for your life and family is a traumatic experience. He is probably dwelling on it every waking moment, living the event over and over in his mind, staring at the ceiling when he should be sleeping, and when he does sleep, it's a nightmare filled restless sleep.

A cornerback has to watch a lot of film to study tendancies of the opposing team in preparation for the game. I have to wonder if he's just staring at the screen while his mind is thousand miles away.

I dunno, maybe his coaches and teammates have been able to get him focused to where he can be his best on Sunday, but I doubt it. It's just too soon.

If he has a bad game on Sunday, I won't be surprised.

Texan Asylum
09-05-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm a little worried about how prepared mentally that DRob will be for the game Sunday.

Being held up at gunpoint and in fear for your life and family is a traumatic experience. He is probably dwelling on it every waking moment, living the event over and over in his mind, stairing at the ceiling when he should be sleeping, and when he does sleep, it's a nightmare filled restless sleep.

A cornerback has to watch a lot of film to study tendancies of the opposing team in preparation for the game. I have to wonder if he's just staring at the screen while his mind is thousand miles away.

I dunno, maybe his coaches and teammates have been able to get him focused to where he can be his best on Sunday, but I doubt it. It's just too soon.

If he has a bad game on Sunday, I won't be surprised.

Makes you wonder.

The man is very blessed to be able to play Sunday. Thank God he wasn't injured.

MissouriTexan
09-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Dunta "Brings the Wood" Robinson? I'll expect he'll just pretend the opposing WRs are the robbers.

But in all seriousness I agree. Let's hope he's had enough time to really think about it and can focus on the game. If he has a bad game I'll completely understand.

ObsiWan
09-05-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm kinda hoping he pretends anyone he goes to tackle is the guy who robbed him - except now that guy isn't hiding behind a gun.

Git 'em Rob!

MissouriTexan
09-05-2007, 11:56 PM
I'm kinda hoping he pretends anyone he goes to tackle is the guy who robbed him - except now that guy isn't hiding behind a gun.

Git 'em Rob!

Ha! Said it first.

Allstar
09-05-2007, 11:57 PM
I was actually thinking the same thing earlier today. Who knows what those guys said to him. For all we know they told him that they WERE going to kill him and held the gun to the temple of his head the whole time. Certain things can really mess you up mentally.

Marcus
09-06-2007, 12:09 AM
And for a bizarre twist, I wouldn't be surprised that the Chiefs have heard about this incident, and adjusted their game plan to try to take advantage of it.

It's a cruel world sometimes.

Texan Asylum
09-06-2007, 12:11 AM
And for a bizarre twist, I wouldn't be surprised that Chiefs have heard about this incident, and adjusted their game plan to try take advantage of it.

It's a cruel world sometimes.

Part of the game I suppose. I'm sure he'll remind them who he is on the field. :bat:

Leahmic223
09-06-2007, 12:12 AM
For guys that REALLY LOVE the sport they are playing. The Football field or Basketball court or baseball diamond is their escape from problems.

It's been that way in their youth (since some of them have lived pretty hard lives) that the only time some of these guys enjoy life is on the field or on the court or whatever it may be.

This isn't always the case though. I just remember watching Kobe have to play through what he did knowing that he could be in prison. He said so himself "The basketball court is my escape."

This is why Vick still tried to get on the field and play. Just to know that for those 2 hours he could enjoy life again.( I am not justifying ANYTHING lets just get that straight) I am just saying I can understand why before the whole thing blew up, why Vick wanted to just get back to playing football.

Sometimes it is like this for the fans. Enter the fans of the Saints. How just going to the football game and being there at the time was your grace period if you will...your 'Lets just forget about all those things right now and just watch some football!" of course after it reality hits again and the problems come back up.

I mean there have been numerous stories of athletes having problems in the real word, but on the field none of that matters. I can't really remember if it was the Israel soccer team, but I remember Bill Walton saying something like "It is amazing that sometimes no matter what's going on sports can bring people together and let them forget about whats going on."

Just like when a guy loses something dear to him, or is having problems in his life. A lot of times, football is that escape.

So what I am getting at is... I don't think he will be focused on it too much. Maybe a little before the game...but once the snap starts, hopefully he will just get lost in the game. I don't know though, if he's one of those players that has lived a tough life, I doubt its bothering him and having him lose sleep.

I think he will be all right. He seemed like he was really dedicated to shutting guys down for this year.

Ole Miss Texan
09-06-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm with you...you just beat me to the punch...

I don't know what's in the mind of a professional athlete or Thank God not of someone who was robbed at gunpoint...but

I think at least when Sunday comes and its game time...Dunta is going to show up...When I used to play sports, I would just get so wrapped up into the game that you really have no idea whats going on in your life...your basically playing with your instincts and thats what your trying to focus on...you don't think about anything else during those couple hours.

Good news though is that if he is a little distracted..at least its the Chiefs...he could guard both their wr's with his eyes shut.

Week 2 at Carolina is a different story...eeww and then week 3 against the colts! he'll be tested then...But game 1 is a warm up for him.

I love the fact he was facing AJ all offseason, that was a really good move on his/coach's part. Is it just me or has Dunta kind of turned a corner. I feel like he always knew he was good... but now it seems he wants the be GREAT and wants to get this team to the playoffs. I'm seeing a lot more fire from him ...

JohnsonFan
09-06-2007, 12:25 AM
i think the robbery will just motivate him to hit harder and get us a win

Ole Miss Texan
09-06-2007, 12:28 AM
i think the robbery will just motivate him to hit harder and get us a win

Is it possible he could hit any harder? lol, he was laying some lumber during the preseason...he's going to be fun to watch.

Andrew6
09-06-2007, 12:31 AM
as a human being finding this out about another human I think wow thats going to really mess that person up mentally for a while.

as a fan being I find myself going PLEASEEEE don't let this mess him up mentally.

HJam72
09-06-2007, 12:42 AM
I'm really not worried about Dunta being focused. He may be the most focused athlete I've ever seen.

hot pickle
09-06-2007, 04:23 AM
I'm really not worried about Dunta being focused. He may be the most focused athlete I've ever seen.

yup yup.. hes gonna be fine.. dunta is a tough dude

Carr Bombed
09-06-2007, 04:32 AM

Apparently, you weren't watching Hakeem Olajuwon teach David Robinson how to play basketball back in 95. I know Dunta is focused, but that might be taking it to the extreme.

HJam72
09-06-2007, 05:48 AM
Apparently, you weren't watching Hakeem Olajuwon teach David Robinson how to play basketball back in 95. I know Dunta is focused, but that might be taking it to the extreme.

Well, maybe I'm wrong, but I did say "focused" and not "best" or "most talented". I also am ignoring the recent past and talking about this year. Anyway, that guy is really focused now and I'm not worried about it.

Grams
09-06-2007, 07:49 AM
The man just got robbed in his house, tape up, watched while his girfriend and her kids came into the middle of the situation with the robbers still there, and you are worried about how he will play on Sunday?

I know he is an important part of our team, but let's get real here. Sunday is just a football game. He and his family just survived a home invasion, let's just be thankful that everyone is not injured or worse.

ObsiWan
09-06-2007, 07:53 AM
The man just got robbed in his house, tape up, watched while his girfriend and her kids came into the middle of the situation with the robbers still there, and you are worried about how he will play on Sunday?

I know he is an important part of our team, but let's get real here. Sunday is just a football game. He and his family just survived a home invasion, let's just be thankful that everyone is not injured or worse.

I kinda thought that sentiment went without saying
:shades:
and for anyone who survives that experience, not just a guy making millions playing ball.

Texan_Bill
09-06-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm reminded of the incident with Morgan Ensberg in Spring Training when he and another guy were held at gunpoint in their hotel room... Morgan turned out just fine............... errrrrrrr :backsout:

Seriously though, I think he will be fine. Dunta does not strike me as someone who will lose focus.

Kaiser Toro
09-06-2007, 08:43 AM
For guys that REALLY LOVE the sport they are playing. The Football field or Basketball court or baseball diamond is their escape from problems.

It's been that way in their youth (since some of them have lived pretty hard lives) that the only time some of these guys enjoy life is on the field or on the court or whatever it may be.

This isn't always the case though. I just remember watching Kobe have to play through what he did knowing that he could be in prison. He said so himself "The basketball court is my escape."

This is why Vick still tried to get on the field and play. Just to know that for those 2 hours he could enjoy life again.( I am not justifying ANYTHING lets just get that straight) I am just saying I can understand why before the whole thing blew up, why Vick wanted to just get back to playing football.

Sometimes it is like this for the fans. Enter the fans of the Saints. How just going to the football game and being there at the time was your grace period if you will...your 'Lets just forget about all those things right now and just watch some football!" of course after it reality hits again and the problems come back up.

I mean there have been numerous stories of athletes having problems in the real word, but on the field none of that matters. I can't really remember if it was the Israel soccer team, but I remember Bill Walton saying something like "It is amazing that sometimes no matter what's going on sports can bring people together and let them forget about whats going on."

Just like when a guy loses something dear to him, or is having problems in his life. A lot of times, football is that escape.

So what I am getting at is... I don't think he will be focused on it too much. Maybe a little before the game...but once the snap starts, hopefully he will just get lost in the game. I don't know though, if he's one of those players that has lived a tough life, I doubt its bothering him and having him lose sleep.

I think he will be all right. He seemed like he was really dedicated to shutting guys down for this year.

Thank you for writing that so I did not have to. Athletes look forward to the competition after personal setback. It is simply therapeutic.

Marcus
09-06-2007, 08:53 AM

Where are you going with that one? Of course everyone is thankful that he and his family wasn't physically hurt.

But that doesn't mean he's not going to be a mental basket-case for awhile.

And even if . . if . . he's focused on Sunday, as we all hope, I seriously doubt he's done his 'homework' beforehand.

Like I said, if he gets burned for a couple of TD's on Sunday, I won't be surprised.

PapaL
09-06-2007, 09:01 AM
After reading this thread, I'm sure he'll be distracted now. In all seriousness, getting on the field should be the escape but like Marcus is saying it's the moments sitting in the game room watching film where the mind tends to wonder off.

nunusguy
09-06-2007, 09:57 AM
The subject of this thread is certainly valid because D-Robs experience would have to be a traumatic experience for anyone and as such is a potential wild-card in this game, especially when you consider what a strategic and important position the CBs play.
But the thing is, I dunno if anyone on this Board knows anything about Dunta Robinson the person and therefor we can only guess how this event might or might not effect his play this weekend ? Could be no one who knows him could predict its possible effect upon his performance this weekend ?
While D-Rob is certainly a fierce competitor, this was an extraordinay event that potentially could have been a fatal experince for D-Rob ! So I gotta say,
it could be a factor this weekend ? But that's purely a guess on my part.

Porky
09-06-2007, 09:58 AM
It's tough to say what will happen with Dunta, but it has crossed my mind. I could see it going either way. Hyper focused, or totally un-focused. Each person reacts to a traumatic experience differently. I don't think any of us know, perhaps not even Dunta, until they lace them up on Sunday.

As far as I am concerned, he gets a total pass this week. If he does not play well, he won't get a single bad word from me. At this point, I am more concerned about his personal welfare and mental state, moreso than a football game.

Kaiser Toro
09-06-2007, 10:02 AM
I would be very surprised if Smith did not blitz Dunta early, and often, and then put him on an island for the rest of the game.

Ole Miss Texan
09-06-2007, 10:06 AM
I don't know if anybody read the article about this situation on espn/si/foxsports.com ...I don't remember which, but at the bottom people can post their thoughts on the article and whats going on.

Of course very few were from houston, but everyone was saying how dumb he was for keeping his door unlocked, why didn't he have a security system, etc!?

I didn't write anything but was about to go off on them. I don't know where dunta lives (article said fort bend county sherriff spoke), or where y'all live, and quite frankly it doesn't matter much. But I feel Houston is a fairly safe city. Is there crime, home envasions, etc...yes of course. but when I'm home, and everyone else I know, they leave their backdoor unlocked. or the security system unarmed. when I go to bed or leave of course i lock up, but this is not NYC or a place where this sort of thing happens all the time, am I wrong or just oblivious!?

it says dunta lives in a gated community...and yet these people are saying he's dumb for having 1 door unlocked...I just feel they don't get it b/c they live in a totally different environment.

SheTexan
09-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Dunta is a professional. He'll take care of business. I truly doubt he'll let this affect his play on Sunday. If he does, then who cares.

Grams
09-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Where are you going with that one? Of course everyone is thankful that he and his family wasn't physically hurt.

But that doesn't mean he's not going to be a mental basket-case for awhile.

And even if . . if . . he's focused on Sunday, as we all hope, I seriously doubt he's done his 'homework' beforehand.

Like I said, if he gets burned for a couple of TD's on Sunday, I won't be surprised.

Where I was going with this is that the man just survived and ARMED home invasiotn with his girfriend and her CHILDREN there, and all you guys seem to be worried about is how will he play on Sunday.

How would you guys be if your wife and small children walked in her home and found armed men and you tape ducted up with a gun pointed at your head.

Give tha man a break he will do the best he can. It is just a football GAME not life or death.

Double Barrel
09-06-2007, 10:20 AM
I agree with SheTexan. D.Rob will bring his game on Sunday. I'm sure this incident rattled his cage a bit, but I think he's mentally strong and will focus on what he needs to do.

HOU-TEX
09-06-2007, 10:24 AM
I agree with SheTexan. D.Rob will bring his game on Sunday. I'm sure this incident rattled his cage a bit, but I think he's mentally strong and will focus on what he needs to do.

I agree too. There's nothing better than a slobber-knocking game of football to at least temporarily clear the mind.:texflag:

tulexan
09-06-2007, 10:47 AM
I believe Bob Sanders had a great game after being stabbed. I wouldn't worry too much.

Marcus
09-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Where I was going with this is that the man just survived and ARMED home invasiotn with his girfriend and her CHILDREN there, and all you guys seem to be worried about is how will he play on Sunday.

How would you guys be if your wife and small children walked in her home and found armed men and you tape ducted up with a gun pointed at your head.

Give tha man a break he will do the best he can. It is just a football GAME not life or death.

You couldn't possibly miss the point any more if you tried.:dontknowa

Grams
09-06-2007, 01:10 PM
You couldn't possibly miss the point any more if you tried.:dontknowa

Maybe I did, it was early when I read it, but it just seemed like more people were concerned as to how he would play, than how he was doing.

hadaad
09-06-2007, 02:49 PM
I understand your point but there is another thread on the board where this is discussed. This thread is a football thread wondering how focused Robinson will be on Sunday. I don't think it's classless to mention it in a football thread.

I agree, I'm glad Robinson isn't hurt and I hope he doesn't carry too many emotional scars from it (affecting his play or otherwise.)

Grams
09-06-2007, 03:01 PM
I probably just need to make sure I have finished my first cup of coffee before I try to comprehend anything written.

dickieb
09-07-2007, 12:43 PM
I believe Bob Sanders had a great game after being stabbed. I wouldn't worry too much.

It was actually Nick Harper, but he did have a good game from what I remember.

real
09-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Dunta is a dread head. He will be out of mind focused and on point Sunday.

Texanfan4ever
09-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Dunta is the most driven and animated man on that field. He will be on point on Sunday, chomping at the bit for every opportunity he can get.

Htownsportsfan
09-07-2007, 11:13 PM
KHOU is reporting the police have found one of the suspects in a raid in the third ward. Dude was wearing one of Dunta's watchs. According to the report Robinson was at the station for an ID. I hope they catch both these *********s and cut of their B*lls! I hate thiefs!

JohnsonFan
09-07-2007, 11:28 PM
this is great news! hope the other is caught1

Wolf
09-08-2007, 01:08 AM
I think he will be fine (probably jinxed him).. I would think with a multi-million dollar business, Texans probably had counselor come in and talk about the event with D-rob and see if he needs anything emotionally to get off of his chest.

I say that because even though it is basically two different type of events , At Home Depot, a coworker died last year at home and the company brought in people to counsel any employee that wanted to talk about the impact the event might have caused them

of course I have been known to be wrong