PDA

View Full Version : More love from SI.com

indiantexan
09-05-2007, 05:00 PM
SI.com's Marc Trestman writes

"The Houston Texans may have hit the jackpot with quarterback Matt Schaub."

"...Schaub is 26 and has spent the last three years watching and learning how to handle the pressure of running this offense against NFL caliber defenses. Thanks in part to his training, Schaub has begun to change the culture of the Texans. He has become a factor by practicing more efficiently and bringing the locker room closer together. He also has allowed Kubiak and Sherman to be creative with their play-calling because of his intelligence and fundamental understanding of the offense."

Link for entire article http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/marc_trestman/09/05/schaub/index.html

Leahmic223
09-05-2007, 05:11 PM
When we win against the Cheifs, Schaub will be praised and raised overy VY, it will be a great day in Houston.

Padrino
09-05-2007, 05:14 PM
When we win against the Cheifs, Schaub will be praised and raised overy VY, it will be a great day in Houston.with the hardon sports columnists have for VY, thats unlikely. even if the texans do manage to win.

DiehardChris
09-05-2007, 05:53 PM
I really can't wait for wagon-jumping Texan fans to have to STFU about how we 'gave up too much' for Schaub. What a load of crap.

Seņor Stan
09-06-2007, 10:39 AM
This is a really good article. Covers a lot of Schaub's WCO experience from UVA.

I evaluated Schaub when he was coming out of Virginia in 2004. I sincerely believe he was playing in the best coached offense in college football and executing the principles of the West Coast offense better than any college QB ever had. It was clear to me by watching the structure of the offense, his footwork and superior accuracy that NFL teams would be all over him.

Texan Asylum
09-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Schaub is 26 and has spent the last three years watching and learning how to handle the pressure of running this offense against NFL caliber defenses. Thanks in part to his training, Schaub has begun to change the culture of the Texans. He has become a factor by practicing more efficiently and bringing the locker room closer together. He also has allowed Kubiak and Sherman to be creative with their play-calling because of his intelligence and fundamental understanding of the offense.
Bingo! Change the collective mindset and heart, and you'll change history. :texflag:

Exithios
09-06-2007, 10:53 AM
SI.com's Marc Trestman writes

"The Houston Texans may have hit the jackpot with quarterback Matt Schaub."

"...Schaub is 26 and has spent the last three years watching and learning how to handle the pressure of running this offense against NFL caliber defenses. Thanks in part to his training, Schaub has begun to change the culture of the Texans. He has become a factor by practicing more efficiently and bringing the locker room closer together. He also has allowed Kubiak and Sherman to be creative with their play-calling because of his intelligence and fundamental understanding of the offense."

Link for entire article http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/marc_trestman/09/05/schaub/index.html

This is what I am most interested in. I can't wait to see if this gets ellaborated on Sunday.

powerfuldragon
09-06-2007, 10:57 AM
with the hardon sports columnists have for VY, thats unlikely. even if the texans do manage to win.
i misread that as hadron... i thought we were gonna talk about mesons, bosons, and the LHC CERN has in switzerland.

Shaft75
09-06-2007, 11:19 AM
i misread that as hadron... i thought we were gonna talk about mesons, bosons, and the LHC CERN has in switzerland.

:um: What?

Line_Producer
09-06-2007, 11:23 AM
:um: What?

Haha, I thought it was funny. :doot:

Vinny
09-06-2007, 11:24 AM
He also has allowed Kubiak and Sherman to be creative with their play-calling because of his intelligence and fundamental understanding of the offense.I've argued with people for years about Carr limiting our offense....but I guess we had to get a real QB for some folks to figure out that it wasn't the coaches as much as it was the guy pulling the trigger. You can't call a play if you don't think your QB can execute it.

HOU-TEX
09-06-2007, 11:34 AM
I've argued with people for years about Carr limiting our offense....but I guess we had to get a real QB for some folks to figure out that it wasn't the coaches as much as it was the guy pulling the trigger. You can't call a play if you don't think your QB can execute it.

A QB that can't execute a Shotgun formation should've given most people the hint.:gun:

I expect our offense to continually become more diversified as the season progresses. We now have a QB that has brain matter filling his head rather than air.:texflag:

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2007, 11:46 AM

"You must spread some Reputation around..."

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2007, 11:47 AM
A QB that can't execute a Shotgun formation should've given most people the hint.:gun:

I still don't understand that.

Carr was fine in the shotgun BEFORE last year and he does fine in the shotgun in Carolina. There was some other problem there.

Vinny
09-06-2007, 11:48 AM
I still don't understand that.

Carr was fine in the shotgun BEFORE last year and he does fine in the shotgun in Carolina. There was some other problem there.he wasn't that impressive in the gun...he still took the safe pass over the courageous one more often than not.

eriadoc
09-06-2007, 11:52 AM
he wasn't that impressive in the gun...he still took the safe pass over the courageous one more often than not.

He did that from every formation, not just the shotgun. The shotgun issue was not Carr's fault. Just a couple weeks ago on the Kubiak show on 610AM, Kubiak alluded to the center being a problem with that last year. With Carr gone, he has no reason to throw Hodgdon under the bus, unless that was the problem. Hodgdon is gone now, too, as it were, but the interview to which I refer happened prior to that cut.

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2007, 11:55 AM
he wasn't that impressive in the gun...he still took the safe pass over the courageous one more often than not.

He wasn't that impressive anywhere. The point is that last year a lot of people were saying that we weren't running any shotgun formations because Carr couldn't do it. But... that can't be the reason. Sure, he might not have been making the reads that Kubiak wanted him to make and he might have been jumping around in his progressions or whatever but that's no reason to totally shelve all shotgun plays.

Last year, if we were in the shotgun, it was a QB running play. I don't understand why that was.

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2007, 11:56 AM
He did that from every formation, not just the shotgun. The shotgun issue was not Carr's fault. Just a couple weeks ago on the Kubiak show on 610AM, Kubiak alluded to the center being a problem with that last year. With Carr gone, he has no reason to throw Hodgdon under the bus, unless that was the problem. Hodgdon is gone now, too, as it were, but the interview to which I refer happened prior to that cut.

Would we cut all shotgun plays from the playbook because our backup center was bad at them?

This baffles me.

eriadoc
09-06-2007, 01:12 PM
This page has been intentionally left blank.

HOU-TEX
09-06-2007, 01:39 PM

This is why I pin it on YKW. It wasn't just Hogdon. We started the year with Flanny and ended with McKinney. I know I've tossed back a few since then, but I don't remember seeing the gun with them either.

I just don't think YKW could process all the info at once. Meaning, handle the snap, begin progressions then make the decision to throw. He couldn't multi-task.

Oh well, we don't have to beat that horse anymore.:pirate:

Honoring Earl 34
09-06-2007, 01:44 PM

I thought the problem with Carr in the gun was that he went even faster with his reads .

The split second that he had to find the ball made go faster when he looked up .

eriadoc
09-06-2007, 02:25 PM
So ..... how about that article from SI?