PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs news

Errant Hothy
09-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Might be time to start one of these up:

http://www.810whb.com/scripts/archives/getStory.asp?article=15183

KANSAS CITY, Mo. Though his roster remained fluid at its lowest levels, Herm Edwards saw his starting lineup solidify Monday as his Chiefs began preparations for Sunday's season opener in Houston.

Kansas City welcomed left tackle Damion McIntosh back to practice for the first time since he injured a knee Aug. 1 in training camp. The former Kansas State left tackle, the first free agent signed by the Chiefs this year, is hoping to play against the Texans, Edwards said.

"I just assume he's going to be ready,'' Edwards said. "Will he have a full load? I don't know that yet. We'll seek as the week goes along.''

Edwards also confirmed that Kyle Turley would open at right tackle, though he could still split time with Chris Terry.

Settling in at the right tackle spot seems to have worked well for Turley.

His attempt to come back from almost two years of football inactivity following career-threatening back surgery was hindered last year by his reduced weight (275 pounds) and the team's desire to move him to left tackle, not his natural position. The suddenly undersized Turley played the first two games at left tackle and five more at right tackle, but was injured and inactive for five others. The Chiefs released him at the end of the season, but re-signed him in the summer for another shot.

"He got his weight up (to 306) for one,'' Edwards said of the improvements Turley made over the past year. "He's not flipping and flopping between right and left tackle now, either. Last year he came in wanting to play tight end, but that's Turley. That's why I like the guy.''

Edwards also announced Monday that young veteran Jimmy Wilkerson will open at right defensive end when Jared Allen serves the first game of his two-game league suspension.

So it's starting to look like their O-line may be closer to full strengh.

infantrycak
09-05-2007, 12:21 PM
So it's starting to look like their O-line may be closer to full strengh.

Fully staffed, but not close to full strength in comparison to the OL they had two years ago.

beerlover
09-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Fully staffed, but not close to full strength in comparison to the OL they had two years ago.

I'm really looking forward to the match-ups across the OL to see how our young guns fare, if Mario can get off to a good start it could bode diaster for a depleated KC line :mario:

Errant Hothy
09-05-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm really looking forward to the match-ups across the OL to see how our young guns fare, if Mario can get off to a good start it could bode diaster for a depleated KC line :mario:

If the D can slow down LJ, even if it reguires 8 in the box; and force Huard to beat them I think we'll have a great shot at a W.

:fans: :texflag: :fans:

gtexan02
09-05-2007, 01:39 PM
The question is not if we can slow down their offense. Our defense is going to give up a few points early in the year, and thsi game will be no exception. I expect them to score anywhere from 10 to 21 points solely based on the fact that we are notoriously poor against pass catching TEs AND against bruisers like LJ.

The MAIN question I have is can our offense move the ball against this defense? Lets not forget that while our D was much improved last year statistically, the Chiefs were a surprise too, surrendering something like the 11th fewest points per game. They've since then revamped their LB corp, they've revamped their secondary, and bolstered their DL. And Edwards is a good D coach.

Vega
09-05-2007, 02:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3005400

Looks like LJ will be held back a bit.

"Larry is going to be on a little bit of a leash early," coach Herman Edwards said Tuesday. "He has to get his legs underneath him. Michael's healthy, which is good. We feel very comfortable with the runners we have now. It's not all on L.J., which is good."

That should help. Michael Bennett just doesn't make you that nervous.

LORK 88
09-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Mario is going up against a guy he recorded 1.5 sacks on or a converted DE; I like those odds.

Leahmic223
09-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Don't mean to hi-jack the thread and change the subject...but we don't need TWO Cheifs threads, they don't deserve that. :texflag:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3005400

Larry Johnson set an NFL record in 2006 with 416 rushing attempts. In the early going of this season, the Chiefs' top running back will see a lighter workload, however.

After a 25-day holdout, nobody expects Johnson to be at his peak at Houston.

Backup Michael Bennett, recovered from the bumps and bruises that slowed him last year, will probably carry much of the load early.

"Larry is going to be on a little bit of a leash early," coach Herman Edwards said Tuesday. "He has to get his legs underneath him. Michael's healthy, which is good. We feel very comfortable with the runners we have now. It's not all on L.J., which is good."

Playing behind Priest Holmes, Johnson saw little action in his first two seasons, then became the full-time starter in 2005. In the past two years, Johnson has rushed for 3,539 yards and 37 touchdowns.

Seems like the Cheifs themselves feel like LJ might not be ready, I am really feeling good this game. I also wonder how Dunta will be after being robbed, I hope he is pissed off and ready to hit...

:d:

Padrino
09-05-2007, 05:09 PM
The question is not if we can slow down their offense. Our defense is going to give up a few points early in the year, and thsi game will be no exception. I expect them to score anywhere from 10 to 21 points solely based on the fact that we are notoriously poor against pass catching TEs AND against bruisers like LJ.

The MAIN question I have is can our offense move the ball against this defense? Lets not forget that while our D was much improved last year statistically, the Chiefs were a surprise too, surrendering something like the 11th fewest points per game. They've since then revamped their LB corp, they've revamped their secondary, and bolstered their DL. And Edwards is a good D coach.thats a very good take on the game and i agree. i can't wait to see how our D plays against your best players

quicksilver
09-05-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't see why we should believe anything a coach says before a game. Herm (and every other head coach in the NFL) has every reason to employ every misdirection he can in everything he says before we hit the field Sunday.

Padrino
09-05-2007, 05:16 PM
very true. they all are BS artists. why give away your hand.
plus, isn't a "light load" for LJ around 25 carries?

Leahmic223
09-05-2007, 05:24 PM
very true. they all are BS artists. why give away your hand.
plus, isn't a "light load" for LJ around 25 carries?

Yeah lol good point.

infantrycak
09-05-2007, 05:39 PM
OK, over/under at 23 carries.

I'll go under.

JohnsonFan
09-05-2007, 05:49 PM
LJ wont be getting that many carries, the less the better for us

edo783
09-06-2007, 09:44 PM

I'll go under.

I'll take the over. I think all of Herms good intentions will go out the window as the game goes on and they are wantng to win.

Wolf
09-06-2007, 09:48 PM
all I can say is we better prep like it is LJ.... this is the regular season folks..every game means something esp for the Chiefs with San Diego in their division and esp in the AFC

JohnsonFan
09-06-2007, 09:52 PM
i am confident we can hold larry to under 100 yards

BSofA04
09-07-2007, 02:46 AM
Over 23 carries and over 100 yards, although it's going to take 32 carries. No way does Edwards hold back on LJ, even the Texans are game planning like he's the premier back. When it comes to the NFL, "You play to win the game....hello!"

Vinny
09-07-2007, 02:51 AM

I'll go under. I'm in the over camp....unless we jump out and take the lead and can control the clock. Otherwise, they are cramming him down our throats.

I never bought the coachspeak that he would not see many touches the first game...he is the Chiefs best player and he will touch the ball quite a bit unless we get out to a big lead. He knows their offense and RB's don't need much camp (just ask LT). With our new offense (one that finally sports a real starting caliber NFL QB for a nice change of pace) we may be able to put some teams in the hole and control the tempo of the game.

Overalls
09-07-2007, 06:47 AM
I will take the under for the 25 caries and 100 yards. Although I did start him on my FF team.