PDA

View Full Version : Why No FS?

maddogmrb
09-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Why haven't we picked up Gattis or someone else? Anybody know why? It sure can't hurt us, can it?

Vinny
09-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Perhaps they don't think Gattis is an upgrade to Brown. You don't just pick guys up to pick them up once camp is over....you have to cut someone to make room for each person.

MissouriTexan
09-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Has it gotten to the point where it's extremely unlikely we're going to get another? People seemed somewhat (yes, somewhat) at ease with what we had before Boulware. After we got him, it was all about getting another safety.

pappy
09-04-2007, 08:19 PM
well hold on new rules in the nfl make it even better to grab someone after the first game . Look to see alot of activity before week two as it is made even more advantages to sign a waived player then . In the nfl you never know how things will shape up .

Hervoyel
09-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Personally I believe that the Texans will either conduct another trade or they'll stick with Brown unless things get out of hand. They can only fix so many things at one time.

I also think that the Texans coaches expect improvement on the defensive line and increased pressure on opposing quarterbacks. I don't think they're expecting FS to be as difficult a position to play as it was last year.

Marcus
09-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like there is this belief that if you have a good enough secondary, it will make up for getting no pressure on the quarterback?

Have I got that right?

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like there is this belief that if you have a good enough secondary, it will make up for getting no pressure on the quarterback?

Have I got that right?

The less pressure you get, the better the secondary has to be. The better your secondary, the less fearsome your pass rush needs to be.

Get no pressure, and you have to have an infinitely good secondary. And visky versky.

Of course, that assumes that the pressure forces the QB to make throws which is true in some cases but not others. Sometimes, it doesn't make any difference how much pressure there is or isn't.

dickieb
09-04-2007, 11:33 PM
I smell another trade coming, just a feeling but probably someone on offense is leaving to make way for a FS.

Errant Hothy
09-05-2007, 09:56 AM
NFL teams just do not willingly release players who are capable of covering recievers in the NFL. Why? They are to hard to find and once you find them they are to valuable to cut, espically good ones or youngs ones.

PapaL
09-05-2007, 10:08 AM
I smell another trade coming, just a feeling but probably someone on offense is leaving to make way for a FS.

Ron Dayne? Please... :doot:

Marcus
09-05-2007, 08:27 PM

Have I got that right?

The less pressure you get, the better the secondary has to be. The better your secondary, the less fearsome your pass rush needs to be.

Get no pressure, and you have to have an infinitely good secondary. And visky versky.

Of course, that assumes that the pressure forces the QB to make throws which is true in some cases but not others. Sometimes, it doesn't make any difference how much pressure there is or isn't.

Hmmm. Looks like I do have it right.:crazy:

If your pass rush is weak, it doesn't matter how good, or bad your secondary is. It all starts up front, in the trenches. If you don't win the battle there, you are hanging your secondary out to dry.

The Pencil Neck
09-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Hmmm. Looks like I do have it right.:crazy:

If your pass rush is weak, it doesn't matter how good, or bad your secondary is. It all starts up front, in the trenches. If you don't win the battle there, you are hanging your secondary out to dry.

You're wrong. And you're right. And you're too black and white.

In what you're talking about, it's really like a ratio. If you have a strong pass rush, your secondary doesn't have to cover as long before they NORMALLY get there. If you have a weak pass rush, your secondary has to cover longer before they NORMALLY get there.

A good secondary can make a weak line look good and vice versa. You can have a great pass rush but if your secondary can't cover, you will get burned over and over before the rush can get there.

There are going to be plays when your pass rush doesn't get there no matter how good they are. There are going to be plays when you've got guys running free in the secondary no matter how good your secondary is. Interceptions and bad throws aren't always caused by pressure. And similarly pressure doesn't always make the QB make a bad throw. You can bring pressure and be all over the QB and he can still tear you apart with great throw after great throw.

So... No, if your pass rush is weak, it DOES matter how good or bad your secondary is. A good secondary will make them look better. But, yes, it does all start in the trenches and if you don't get pressure, you are hanging your secondary out to dry.

Leahmic223
09-05-2007, 10:42 PM
I am starting to think we Hate Free Safeties or something...since we have ignored ever really having a TRUE FS back there.

I think we should draft a FS next year in the first, not a RB for the future, but a FS first.

TK_Gamer
09-05-2007, 10:52 PM
it's funny, all the talk since Kubiak took over about Denver never drafting a RB in the first round and not needing a stud RB. It looks like Kubiak has another querk, like we dont need a quality FS to compete. It's kinda worrisome the attitude he seems to have on the subject. Just my oppinion...

Leahmic223
09-05-2007, 11:21 PM
You're wrong. And you're right. And you're too black and white.

In what you're talking about, it's really like a ratio. If you have a strong pass rush, your secondary doesn't have to cover as long before they NORMALLY get there. If you have a weak pass rush, your secondary has to cover longer before they NORMALLY get there.

A good secondary can make a weak line look good and vice versa. You can have a great pass rush but if your secondary can't cover, you will get burned over and over before the rush can get there.

There are going to be plays when your pass rush doesn't get there no matter how good they are. There are going to be plays when you've got guys running free in the secondary no matter how good your secondary is. Interceptions and bad throws aren't always caused by pressure. And similarly pressure doesn't always make the QB make a bad throw. You can bring pressure and be all over the QB and he can still tear you apart with great throw after great throw.

So... No, if your pass rush is weak, it DOES matter how good or bad your secondary is. A good secondary will make them look better. But, yes, it does all start in the trenches and if you don't get pressure, you are hanging your secondary out to dry.

I agree with you on this.

This is why one of the coaches said "This team is built to make things easier for the secondary."

Its like if we had a good secondary, it gives the Dline more time to get to the QB because the QB can't throw to covered WRs(well he can try it usually isn't too good.)

Or

If we get a good Dline then it makes things easier for the Secondary because they don't have to cover long. Also the QB can throw before getting sacked...but again it usually doesn't end well for the offense throwing a hurried pass or into coverage.

I know this is basically what you are saying...I just wanted to type it also...I don't know why...idonno:

HJam72
09-06-2007, 12:36 AM
We don't need free safeties or runningbacks. We can win it all with 10 players on each side of the ball. :fans: