PDA

View Full Version : Free Safety

MissouriTexan
09-03-2007, 12:58 AM
Just wondering, does anyone know if we have any more options to go out and grab a FS? If we get one I'll be more than happy with our secondary, which is in my opinion the weak spot of the team.

texanfan2002114
09-03-2007, 01:07 AM
According to John McClain, he was on Fox 26 Sports Sunday about 2 hours ago and said that R. Smith is still trying to get another safety. He did not specify FS or SS but I would assume the Texans are trying to get a FS.

The Pencil Neck
09-03-2007, 01:10 AM
Just wondering, does anyone know if we have any more options to go out and grab a FS? If we get one I'll be more than happy with our secondary, which is in my opinion the weak spot of the team.

There are some guys on the street.

AND, as Rick mentions, we're fat at TE. We can trade either Dreessen or probably Putzier and possibly get someone.

So... let's see if Rick can find something.

J-Russ
09-03-2007, 01:12 AM
I hope whoever Rick gets can start at FS, I really don't think I can withstand another season of CC at free safety.

beerlover
09-03-2007, 01:22 AM
There are some guys on the street.

AND, as Rick mentions, we're fat at TE. We can trade either Dreessen or probably Putzier and possibly get someone.

So... let's see if Rick can find something.

if not...... I'm really curious to see Von Hutchins get his shot @ FS, actually both Hutchins & Boulware where drafted in the same year (04)? ya never know for sure how players are going to pan out in the NFL from College but maybe, just maybe in a system that fits can come into their own giving the Texans a pair of young & talented safetys :shades:

PHAROAH
09-03-2007, 01:54 AM
I think that Donovan Darius was cut by the raiders and he would be a perfect fit due to the fact that he has loads of experience and that we are so young even with M. Boulware on the team. Darius would be a special player for us.

The Pencil Neck
09-03-2007, 02:17 AM
if not...... I'm really curious to see Von Hutchins get his shot @ FS, actually both Hutchins & Boulware where drafted in the same year (04)? ya never know for sure how players are going to pan out in the NFL from College but maybe, just maybe in a system that fits can come into their own giving the Texans a pair of young & talented safetys :shades:

Well, I liked his pick against dabearse. I'd feel better at seeing what he can do if he could beat CC for the position outright... which might happen some time during this season if he gets more time to learn the position.

But, still, 5' 9" is really, really small. Aren't FS's usually a bit bigger than that?

MissouriTexan
09-03-2007, 02:49 AM
I think we need a FS who's pretty much purely pass defense focused; we have plenty of run defense at this point. Are Darius or VH more hard hitters or coverage guys?

TexansLucky13
09-03-2007, 03:06 AM
I think we need a FS who's pretty much purely pass defense focused; we have plenty of run defense at this point. Are Darius or VH more hard hitters or coverage guys?

Darius is a hard hitter for sure. He wasn't very effective in coverage last year and that's the reason he got the can. He would just be another SS, and we don't need one right now.

MissouriTexan
09-03-2007, 03:47 AM
Darius is a hard hitter for sure. He wasn't very effective in coverage last year and that's the reason he got the can. He would just be another SS, and we don't need one right now.

Never thought we'd be able to say that.

beerlover
09-03-2007, 08:30 AM
But, still, 5' 9" is really, really small. Aren't FS's usually a bit bigger than that?

Bob Sanders is only 5'8"

Ed Reed is a giant @ 5'11"

somewhere in between should be acceptable then :)

HJam72
09-03-2007, 08:54 AM

Seems like VH is more ball-hawking, pass D. Don't know about Darius. I totally agree with you on your first sentence.

whiskeyrbl
09-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Josh Gattis FS was released by Jax. He is a rookie was said to be having a good rookie camp. Was 105th taken overall in this years draft. 6'1 211lbs. and runs a 4.55 40.

Goldensilence
09-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Josh Gattis FS was released by Jax. He is a rookie was said to be having a good rookie camp. Was 105th taken overall in this years draft. 6'1 211lbs. and runs a 4.55 40.

I know a lot of people thought he'd be a good late round sleeper pick out of Wake.Guy just seems like a gamer in the mold of Kerry Rhodes. Not sure if he'd be more a project this year or might be able to crack the lineup during the season but i really wouldn't mind giving him a look.Obviously FS is a glaring need here. Hopefully Rick wil lbe able to find something before the start of the season.

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Bob Sanders is only 5'8"

The better shorter FS's have vertical jump that allow them to compensate for their lack of height. This is somewhat worrisome in that for example Boulware at 6'2" has a vertical jump of 39.5 inches, where as Hutchins has a vertical jump of only 34.5. Von Hutchins is not going to easily be able to consistently pass defense jump balls with today's typically tall WR's and TE's.

Tedc
09-03-2007, 11:33 AM
The better shorter FS's have vertical jump that allow them to compensate for their lack of height. This is somewhat worrisome in that for example Boulware at 6'2" has a vertical jump of 39.5 inches, where as Hutchins has a vertical jump of only 34.5. Von Hutchins is not going to easily be able to consistently pass defense jump balls with today's typically tall WR's and TE's.

Good point.

Boulware's strength is his leaping ability and his physical play.

awtysst
09-03-2007, 12:17 PM

See this is a pick I never understood on Draft Day. You take Reggie Nelson as your FS with your first overall pick and then they take Gattis in the 5th? Were they trying to convert him? If so, why not take a more traditional SS? They already had Nelson in the fold so to me this was a foolish decision by Jax to take Gattis.

I say lets grab him for the practice squad. Let him develop. Maybe he can be our FS of the future and Harrison can be our SS of the future.

The Pencil Neck
09-03-2007, 12:20 PM
See this is a pick I never understood on Draft Day. You take Reggie Nelson as your FS with your first overall pick and then they take Gattis in the 5th? Were they trying to convert him? If so, why not take a more traditional SS? They already had Nelson in the fold so to me this was a foolish decision by Jax to take Gattis.

I say lets grab him for the practice squad. Let him develop. Maybe he can be our FS of the future and Harrison can be our SS of the future.

Yeah, that was a really weird pick. Like it was insurance in case Nelson didn't pan out.

awtysst
09-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Yeah, that was a really weird pick. Like it was insurance in case Nelson didn't pan out.

So, now is the time to take advantage and grab him for our PS.

Hook'er
09-03-2007, 01:08 PM

I remember Kubiak talking about him pre-draft, it would be nice to pick him up.:texflag:

Hook'er
09-03-2007, 01:12 PM
So, now is the time to take advantage and grab him for our PS.

I wouldn't put him on the PS. CC sucks, let him challenge for playing time.:texflag:

tulexan
09-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Bob Sanders is only 5'8"

If Ed Reed is a giant at 5'11", what is Sean Taylor at 6'2"?

Line_Producer
09-03-2007, 01:35 PM
If Ed Reed is a giant at 5'11", what is Sean Taylor at 6'2"?

Ha. Goliath perhaps?

awtysst
09-03-2007, 02:08 PM
I am 5'10 maybe I can play FS!

Dallas_Texan
09-04-2007, 02:52 PM
I wanted us to pick up Gattis in the fourth/fifth anyways. That would be a great pick up....maybe he can give us some insight into what Jax has up it's sleeve for this year!:cool:

Two fourth round picks for the price of one!!

awtysst
09-05-2007, 12:21 PM
From what i have heard Gattis has not been picked up yet by any team. That in itself is interesting.

Errant Hothy
09-05-2007, 12:28 PM
From what i have heard Gattis has not been picked up yet by any team. That in itself is interesting.

Interesting in so much that it means he probably sucks, and was way over vauled on draft day. If Casserley were still here, he'd already be a Texan (with a fat contract no less).

HJam72
09-05-2007, 02:24 PM
I am 5'10 maybe I can play FS!

See, there ya go. All those fans in the stands and we can't find one guy to outplay CC Brown at FS? :) There's bound to be a coupla guys up there.

....maybe a high school girls track star?

:user:

PS-I would do it, but I have this fear of....well....death, is all. Plus, I might vomit if I can't smoke while I'm playing.