PDA

View Full Version : Practice Squad

The Dude Abides
09-02-2007, 07:07 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5102886.html

Offensive tackle Brandon Frye, the sixth-round pick, will be on the practice squad.
Undrafted rookies on the practice squad are quarterback Jared Zabransky, free safety Brandon Mitchell, running back Darius Walker and defensive end Deljuan Robinson.
Veterans signed to the practice squad are guard Mike Briesel, defensive tackle Tim Bulman and receiver Harry Williams.

LORK 88
09-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Good find, I've been curious about this all day.

CloakNNNdagger
09-02-2007, 07:46 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5102886.html

We kept most of the names this board was hoping for..........BUT, this list can change over the next week or so.

Lucky
09-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Offensive tackle Brandon Frye, the sixth-round pickMore outstanding research by the General.

JohnsonFan
09-02-2007, 07:59 PM
good news, thanks

Goldensilence
09-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Was hoping to keep Frye... i am surpised he passed Waivers. Was really hoping he'd just make the squad and be able to see some game time at some point this year. Glad to see him Big Z and Darius on the PS.

shawn76ers
09-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Are these 2 players any good?

1. DE Deljuan Robinson
2. WR Harry Williams

I noticed they were picked up & placed on the PS

JohnsonFan
09-02-2007, 08:58 PM
whats up with pass? is he sitll injured?

The Pencil Neck
09-02-2007, 09:01 PM

1. DE Deljuan Robinson
2. WR Harry Williams

They've both played pretty good this preseason. They were really high on Harry Williams but we were just so deep at WR.

The Pencil Neck
09-02-2007, 09:02 PM
whats up with pass? is he sitll injured?

Pass is long gone. He's a free agent.

If we have an injury during the season, we may re-sign him if he's still available.

valleytexfan
09-02-2007, 09:19 PM
I like keeping Zabransky and Darius, but where's Abbate? I really wanted to keep him.

rmartin65
09-02-2007, 09:21 PM
I like keeping Zabransky and Darius, but where's Abbate? I really wanted to keep him.

Abbate was IR'd.

valleytexfan
09-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Abbate was IR'd.

ahh yes. Brain fart. Sorry. :gun:

the wonger need food
09-02-2007, 09:43 PM
No David Anderson??? Curious.

Hagar
09-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Abbate was IR'd.Not being knowledgable about IR requirements, what does that mean?

So, he's on the team and can't play? How long?

vtech9
09-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Not being knowledgable about IR requirements, what does that mean?

It simply means that he will not be able to play at all this year.

Leahmic223
09-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Glad Darius made it on the squad and Zabansky.

GuerillaBlack
09-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Glad to see Darius on the PS.

Overalls
09-02-2007, 11:44 PM
I didn't expect a couple of those guys to make it past the waiver wire. So good for us.

kiwitexansfan
09-02-2007, 11:44 PM
No David Anderson??? Curious.

He was active for a while last year I think, he might not be eligible??

TexansSB07
09-03-2007, 05:03 AM
Not being knowledgable about IR requirements, what does that mean?

in a Megan Manfull article yesterday, she said they are kept on team until healthy when an injury settlement is reached on contract, then they released to sign with another team

BattleRedToro
09-03-2007, 09:12 AM
in a Megan Manfull article yesterday, she said they are kept on team until healthy when an injury settlement is reached on contract, then they released to sign with another team

That is if they are healthy before the end of the season. I also believe they don't have to take an injury settlement if the Texans and the player don't want to part ways.

keyser
09-03-2007, 11:01 AM
So, basically it seems that the IR can be used as a way of keeping the rights to a couple of extra players, rather than letting them go through waivers and onto the practice squad. And, the players themselves might like this because they get paid at their regular salary rate (which I think is higher than the practice squad rate), and don't run the risk of getting flat-out cut (without going to the PS). On the downside, though, I think that IR players are barred from any practice with the team. If so, that could hurt the development of Abbate and Harrison (assuming they will be physically recovered enough to practice this season in the first place).

One other question - is the PUP list not available at this point? My understanding of that is that they're on it for 6 weeks, and then a decision has to be made - either put them on IR, put them on the active roster, or release them (and possibly then try to sign them to the PS). That would seem to be a better option, but maybe the deadline has passed.

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2007, 11:36 AM
So, basically it seems that the IR can be used as a way of keeping the rights to a couple of extra players, rather than letting them go through waivers and onto the practice squad. And, the players themselves might like this because they get paid at their regular salary rate (which I think is higher than the practice squad rate), and don't run the risk of getting flat-out cut (without going to the PS). On the downside, though, I think that IR players are barred from any practice with the team. If so, that could hurt the development of Abbate and Harrison (assuming they will be physically recovered enough to practice this season in the first place).

One other question - is the PUP list not available at this point? My understanding of that is that they're on it for 6 weeks, and then a decision has to be made - either put them on IR, put them on the active roster, or release them (and possibly then try to sign them to the PS). That would seem to be a better option, but maybe the deadline has passed.

I don't think that many teams would "hide" players on IR since their salaries still count against the cap........essentially a dead body.

awtysst
09-03-2007, 12:21 PM
We need to sign Josh Gattis, FS from Wakeforest. He was originally taken by the Jags(the same team that took Reggie Nelson, FS in the first round). I think he could be a potential FS of the future and would be a steal to grab him as a PS member.

bckey
09-03-2007, 12:55 PM
We need to sign Josh Gattis, FS from Wakeforest. He was originally taken by the Jags(the same team that took Reggie Nelson, FS in the first round). I think he could be a potential FS of the future and would be a steal to grab him as a PS member.

I think that most of us agree. However Smith and Kubiak are probably trying to figure out who to cut or drop from the practice squad to make room for whoever they sign. You have to figure if we all see Gattis out there they for sure do. I've seen his name on all 3 Texans boards. I would cut Harry Williams from the practice squad to make room.

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Gattis is definitely available........the Jags have chosen their final 8 PS list........and he's not on it.

76Texan
09-04-2007, 02:58 AM

1. DE Deljuan Robinson
2. WR Harry Williams

I'm quite impressed with Robinson (first name pronounced DELL-WAHN during pre-season.
He's very active and keeps his motor running.
Only concern is his health.
Guy had surgery for a leaky valve (heart) and sat out his FR season, I believe.
He played only 8 games last year due to injury (knee I think, but not sure) and still made 2nd team SEC.

threetoedpete
09-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Houston: QB Jared Zabransky, RB Darius Walker, DL Tim Bulman, DL DelJuan Robinson, OT Brandon Frye (5/HOU), SS Brandon Mitchell, WR Harry Williams and OG Mike Brisiel

http://www.gbnreport.com/practicesquads.html

threetoedpete
09-08-2007, 01:20 PM
I don't think that many teams would "hide" players on IR since their salaries still count against the cap........essentially a dead body.

Plus the fact if Sheriff Rodger gets wind of it, you get striped of Draft picks.

threetoedpete
09-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Gattis is definitely available........the Jags have chosen their final 8 PS list........and he's not on it.

I thought C.J. Gaddis would of made a good canidate also. So ...you gotta figure that Kubes' finger prints are all over the free saftey positon decidsion. Either they got someone targeted for '08 to go after in the FA market or they really like
Brandon Mitchel there. All I know for fact is that to go tramping for one in the '08 draft looks like a long shot at best. There's Kenny Phillips, then everybody else. And the everybody else isn't going to scare anyone. From what I saw of Demps last weekend he isn't as good a prospect as Gattis was this off season.
Mearyweather and Pescatelli look like the real deal so far.