PDA

View Full Version : Grading the Bucs Game

maddogmrb
08-31-2007, 09:33 AM
After seeing the players from both teams kneeling, holding hands, and praying for the Bucs WR Paris ??, I give the following grades:

Texans = A+.

Bucs = A+.

That's all I've got to say about this game.

Texans_Chick
08-31-2007, 09:39 AM
Nice points. That was so sad given how promising his preseason was. Here's my take on the game:

AOL FanHouse: Bucs Beat Texans 31-24: Any Questions? (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/08/31/bucs-beat-texans-31-24-any-questions/)

Exithios
08-31-2007, 09:41 AM
After seeing the players from both teams kneeling, holding hands, and praying for the Bucs WR Paris ??, I give the following grades:

Texans = A+.

Bucs = A+.

That's all I've got to say about this game.

The loss was meaningless and irrelevant, we saw second string, third string, and waiver fodder sharing reps throughout the game and got a good look at our final roster options.

The end of the game was one for the highlight reels. I can proudly say that Houston has the classiest NFL franchise in the history of pro football. Parris Warren has a future in this league but unfortunately he is out for the season if not longer. I feel for the kid.

My $0.02

maddogmrb
08-31-2007, 09:56 AM
Nice points. That was so sad given how promising his preseason was. Here's my take on the game:

AOL FanHouse: Bucs Beat Texans 31-24: Any Questions? (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/08/31/bucs-beat-texans-31-24-any-questions/)

Enjoyed your take on the game. Some of my thoughts:

Frye had a shaky start at LT but settled in and did better as the game wore on.

Jackson was more than competent at RT.

The team seemed to have confidence in running behind Studdard/White and I think they did a good job overall.

Lundy showed life again after a couple of mediocre showings.

I'm not a big Dayne fan either. It seems like 1 play he gains a solid 4 yards and the next he just runs into a pile up front and falls down for a 1 yard loss. Not a good net average (1.5 ypc).

You are so right about our MLB. However, I think the safeties had alot to do with the Bucs continued success throwing over the middle. I do think Brandon Mitchell is a keeper at S.

I was impressed with the play of OLB Trent Bray.

Bennett had his best game and his technique on the "int that wasn't" was flawless. And he made a couple of good tackles, too!! (I think Dunta put on Bennett's jersey for this game to help out his buddy!)

On the DL, I don't know who Robinson is at DT but, he sure was making plays last night. And my man, Earl Cochran, looked good again.

:d:

Errant Hothy
08-31-2007, 10:52 AM
You are so right about our MLB. However, I think the safeties had alot to do with the Bucs continued success throwing over the middle. I do think Brandon Mitchell is a keeper at S.

I think alot of the Bucs success down the middle had more to do with Gruden playing J. Stevens deep into the 3rd quarter. I would hope that a 1st team TE could abuse some 2nd string/3rd string/rookie LBs, and of course the well known issues with the S spots.

As for Deljaun Robinson, DE, Mississippi State, 6’ 3 1/8” 299 lbs. 5.07.

Post draft re-cap (mine, and I think quoting myself is overly cocky):
The Chronicle listed him as a DE (which could mean so did the Texans, and then again maybe not), but I’ve only seen him listed as a DT. Pro Football Weekly says he has a “very serious injury concern”. Thanks to Lucky it was heart surgery to fix a leaky valve. Pro Day numbers: 27” vertical, 9’ 5” broad jump, 4.74 short shuttle, 7.54 three cone, and 23 reps at 225.

Hervoyel
08-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Darius Walker impressed me. I think he should land on the practice squad if possible. He was much quicker than I expected.

I was sad to see David Anderson fumble the ball. I like him and think there's a place on our team for him but stuff like that will get you sent packing if you're not careful.

I thought Zabransky was way over-excited and clearly not ready for this level but he did at times impress me. I think he needs a season on the practice squad.

The receiver position is a tough one in my opinion. I know McCardell didn't do much in the preseason but I just kind of want at least one true veteran back there. I guess for all practical purposes that would be Andre Johnson (time flies doesn't it) so maybe we don't need McCardell. Still I'd have liked to see him make this team for some reason.

The safety play could completely undermine the entire season if we don't get somebody to step up back there. That was my biggest concern watching the 2's and 3's (who I don't think are that far away from our 1's where the safety spots are concerned).

Texan_Bill
08-31-2007, 11:02 AM
I think if you try to put JZ on the practice squad, someone claims him quickly....

On that first drive, I give Sage and the offense an A+, based on tempo. The offense moved the ball quickly and efficiently!!

Leahmic223
08-31-2007, 11:03 AM
I liked Darius Walker, not saying he could be a RB in this league one day...but he hardly got his chance to prove himself. In preseason he had 5 carries last night for 34 yards and averaged 6.8 yards a carry. I know he wasn't up against first string defense but like Smith said, hes made the most of what he has gotten and has looked VERY VERY motivated to just make the team.

Hopefully he'll find his way on the team someway so he can get a shot. He should have gotten way more than 5 carries especially the way he was just ripping through tackles.

HOU-TEX
08-31-2007, 11:06 AM
I think if you try to put JZ on the practice squad, someone claims him quickly....

On that first drive, I give Sage and the offense an A+, based on tempo. The offense moved the ball quickly and efficiently!!

Possibly, but are you willing to sacrifice a roster spot to keep him? I don't think I would.

I agree, the first drive was picture perfect. It's a nice feeling knowing we have a backup QB that can be relied on.

:fans:

Texans_Chick
08-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Darius Walker impressed me. I think he should land on the practice squad if possible. He was much quicker than I expected.

I was sad to see David Anderson fumble the ball. I like him and think there's a place on our team for him but stuff like that will get you sent packing if you're not careful.

I thought Zabransky was way over-excited and clearly not ready for this level but he did at times impress me. I think he needs a season on the practice squad.

The receiver position is a tough one in my opinion. I know McCardell didn't do much in the preseason but I just kind of want at least one true veteran back there. I guess for all practical purposes that would be Andre Johnson (time flies doesn't it) so maybe we don't need McCardell. Still I'd have liked to see him make this team for some reason.

The safety play could completely undermine the entire season if we don't get somebody to step up back there. That was my biggest concern watching the 2's and 3's (who I don't think are that far away from our 1's where the safety spots are concerned).

I would have liked to see McCardell play more. I know he has been injured so that wasn't possible. I would just hate to get into regular season play and then go through second receivers developing the dropsies. (I'm still traumatized by Wali Lundy looking good in the preseason and then watching the running back parade last year). Hard to find a place for him, but he really didn't get too many balls his way, and it is hard to evaluate him.

The safety play is double plus non-good.

Vinny
08-31-2007, 11:18 AM
I don't think any team would put Z on their game day roster...I don't think he is near ready to play in real games....I think we could take a chance on trying to put him in the PS. One thing about having a bunch of young wr's....young wr's may not always be able to read defenses well and that leads to missing blocks, missing hot routes and not swinging your eyes around to the ball in the right situation. If we go with mostly young guys...we better run the ball well this year.

Texan_Bill
08-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Possibly, but are you willing to sacrifice a roster spot to keep him? I don't think I would.

I agree, the first drive was picture perfect. It's a nice feeling knowing we have a backup QB that can be relied on.

:fans:

See, thats where I would be skiddish... When push comes to shove, NO I wouldn't want to use up a roster spot, so I would probably take my chances. However, there are teams that do carry 3 QB's on their roster.

And yes.... It's nice to be able to say that Sage is your second stringer...

eriadoc
08-31-2007, 11:22 AM
I don't think any team would put Z on their game day roster...I don't think he is near ready to play in real games....I think we could take a chance on trying to put him in the PS. One thing about having a bunch of young wr's....young wr's may not always be able to read defenses well and that leads to missing blocks, missing hot routes and not swinging your eyes around to the ball in the right situation. If we go with mostly young guys...we better run the ball well this year.

I think that's a big part of why Walter has the #2 job pretty well handed to him. Jacoby may force his way onto the field, and that would be great, but AJ and Walter do offer a fair bit of experience at the position - Walter less on-field experience, obviously, but I would think he has great preparation habits, knows the offense well, and doesn't make as many mistakes.

Yankee_In_TX
08-31-2007, 11:28 AM
We've made many improvements over the last two years. But let's face it - our 3rd string (second for the defensive backfield) and waiver fodder is pretty talentless...

But no worries, it's a sad day in H Town if we see those guys over the next 16 games.

HOU-TEX
08-31-2007, 11:32 AM
See, thats where I would be skiddish... When push comes to shove, NO I wouldn't want to use up a roster spot, so I would probably take my chances. However, there are teams that do carry 3 QB's on their roster.

And yes.... It's nice to be able to say that Sage is your second stringer...

If a third QB is ever needed, I'm sure Van Pelt will be available.:gun:

I would assume Kubiak keeps Sage off of special teams this year. :texflag:

Errant Hothy
08-31-2007, 11:36 AM
I think that if we try to put Zbransky on the PS and some team does claim him, we would still be able to find another young QB worth putting on the PS. There have been a couple of UDFA QBs playing at least as well as Zbransky this preseason.

Double Barrel
08-31-2007, 11:36 AM
I thought Sage looked good, and it is some comfort to know that we'll finally have two competent QBs on our roster.

I was not impressed with Zabransky and we shouldn't hold a roster spot for the dude. I'd rather keep McCardell on the active roster as a vet WR instead of a rookie project QB.

JJ is clearly showing himself to be one stud PR and WR, a potential playmaker on our offense with AJ. Hopefully his regular season is in-line with his pre-season, because he'll be on the short list for OROY if it is the same trajectory.

Marcus
08-31-2007, 11:38 AM
Walker showed enough to where I seriously doubt he will clear waivers.

Vinny
08-31-2007, 11:38 AM
I think that if we try to put Zbransky on the PS and some team does claim him, we would still be able to find another young QB worth putting on the PS. There have been a couple of UDFA QBs playing at least as well as Zbransky this preseason.yep, a lot of teams are going to be releasing their own version of Zbransky to put on their PS's this weekend.

infantrycak
08-31-2007, 11:58 AM

Just like Vinny said with Zabransky--there are going to be a bunch of RB's hitting the market.

YellerLotYeller
08-31-2007, 12:08 PM

I was very impressed with his effort last night....especially when he lowered his shoulder after his helmet popped off! Hope he gets a chance to show off his skills somewhere. If he can proove he's durable and consistant, he'll have a job.

tulexan
08-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Just like Vinny said with Zabransky--there are going to be a bunch of RB's hitting the market.

Yeah, have you seen Pierre Thomas from the Saints? If they cut him, there is no way that he will clear waivers.