PDA

View Full Version : Shiver's 10 NFL Truths (Mario)

J-Russ
08-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Shiver's prediction posted at NFLDC

Mario Williams will become one of the best Defensive Ends in football.
He was already a force against the run last year. Pro Football Prospectus has him as a top-10 run defender according to their metrics. He has the incredible strength and long arms to dominate in that department for his entire career. As a rookie, with a painful injury, that is quite the feat. People may not be impressed with his sack totals; however, he had plenty of QB hurries and hits, which shows that his 4.5 sack total is a little unfortunate. Mario Williams had 4.5 sacks, 14 hurries and 4 hits, compare that to Mark Anderson and you will see what I am talking about. Anderson had 12 sacks, an impressive number to be sure, but he only had 1 QB hit and 4 QB hurries. Itís evident that Anderson was very fortunate while Williams was unfortunate. All too often sack totals are misleading, which is why hits and hurries are essential to realize just how effective a DE really is at pass rushing. He did very well despite having the NFLís worst interior D-lineman. With Amobi Okoye added to the rotation that will certainly only help that unit

link: http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12303

Double Barrel
08-29-2007, 04:55 PM
I really look forward to watching our D-line once the gloves come off and we start bringing the blitz.

Mario needs to quit thinking about it and just do it...and somebody needs to write "Vince Young rules" all over his Lambo the night before the KC game. :D

Texans_Chick
08-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the find.

I love contrarian football views. Orthodoxy be damned. :texflag:

Dallas_Texan
08-29-2007, 05:00 PM

He was already a force against the run last year. Pro Football Prospectus has him as a top-10 run defender according to their metrics. He has the incredible strength and long arms to dominate in that department for his entire career. As a rookie, with a painful injury, that is quite the feat. People may not be impressed with his sack totals; however, he had plenty of QB hurries and hits, which shows that his 4.5 sack total is a little unfortunate. Mario Williams had 4.5 sacks, 14 hurries and 4 hits, compare that to Mark Anderson and you will see what I am talking about. Anderson had 12 sacks, an impressive number to be sure, but he only had 1 QB hit and 4 QB hurries. Itís evident that Anderson was very fortunate while Williams was unfortunate. All too often sack totals are misleading, which is why hits and hurries are essential to realize just how effective a DE really is at pass rushing. He did very well despite having the NFLís worst interior D-lineman. With Amobi Okoye added to the rotation that will certainly only help that unit

Great article! Finally a educated, nonbiased (I'm assuming) point-of-view!!! Mario will bring the pain. I still stand by that decision! :d:

Leahmic223
08-29-2007, 05:03 PM

I hope Apple sees this...please Apple, log on today and see this man. He's always saying Mark Anderson is better, I am trying to tell you when you play on a Elite defense that's what happens...everyone gets sacks.

But I am wondering where he found hurries recorded? I can never find that.

I think we saw that in the 3rd game, he left the game with no sacks but we know he should at least had 2. Hopefully he'll learn how to close in on the QB, once he does that...who knows.

Still though he has to prove and get it done this year.

hollywood_texan
08-29-2007, 05:15 PM
...and somebody needs to write "Vince Young rules" all over his Lambo the night before the KC game. :D

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i15/hollywood_texan/spicoli2.jpg

My dad is a TV repairman and has an ultimate set of tools. I can fix it!

Hey, where did you get that jacket?

After that, we're going to jam with Stones. And you girls are invited.

Exithios
08-29-2007, 05:19 PM
I hope Apple sees this...please Apple, log on today and see this man. He's always saying Mark Anderson is better, I am trying to tell you when you play on a Elite defense that's what happens...everyone gets sacks.

But I am wondering where he found hurries recorded? I can never find that.

I think we saw that in the 3rd game, he left the game with no sacks but we know he should at least had 2. Hopefully he'll learn how to close in on the QB, once he does that...who knows.

Still though he has to prove and get it done this year.

The Dallas game was meerly a measureing stick against, what is presumed to be, one of the best o-lines in the NFL. If mario plays with that much intensity in the regular season then he is well on his way to earning the respect of a 1st over-all pick, stepping out of the shade of the 2 who will be unnamed.

V3rm0nt3r
08-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Whats nice is that this guy surronds this with other well reasoned remarks.

no "the aliens are coming" or stuff like that

Lucky
08-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Whats nice is that this guy surronds this with other well reasoned remarks.

no "the aliens are coming" or stuff like that
Predicting the Colts not winning the AFC South is akin to aliens delivering free pizza & beer door-to-door. But I say, "Come on in ET, let's party!"

Second Honeymoon
08-29-2007, 08:40 PM

nice point there but sometimes you make your own luck. we all saw more from Mario against Dallas. more importantly, the defense played better as a unit and made some big plays. mario could finish the season with 0 sacks and I wouldnt care as long as we are winning and the team is playing with some emotion and attitude. just win baby.

mario played hurt last year and didn't further injure himself. that bodes well for the future and with guys like Parcells and Belichik (and Kubes) all lauding praise on this guy and just saying to be patient, those guys know a lot about football and the dirty work that it takes to win. I hope for the best with Mario and think we just look awesome this preseason. Hopefully they come out on fire against KC. I think if they can make a big play early, it could just snowball and everything could come together.

I am just hoping for a Ravens-like Superbowl year where everything came together and they won a Superbowl from pretty much out of nowhere. We have a VERY young team. maybe not this year, but soon. I could see it happening and there would be the whole Luv Ya Blue thing reborn. I wonder if Bud has that slogan trademarked. I don't want to have to give Bud a nickel everytime Mack Hayes sings Luv Ya Blue.

Leahmic223
08-29-2007, 09:57 PM
nice point there but sometimes you make your own luck. we all saw more from Mario against Dallas. more importantly, the defense played better as a unit and made some big plays. mario could finish the season with 0 sacks and I wouldnt care as long as we are winning and the team is playing with some emotion and attitude. just win baby.

mario played hurt last year and didn't further injure himself. that bodes well for the future and with guys like Parcells and Belichik (and Kubes) all lauding praise on this guy and just saying to be patient, those guys know a lot about football and the dirty work that it takes to win. I hope for the best with Mario and think we just look awesome this preseason. Hopefully they come out on fire against KC. I think if they can make a big play early, it could just snowball and everything could come together.

I am just hoping for a Ravens-like Superbowl year where everything came together and they won a Superbowl from pretty much out of nowhere. We have a VERY young team. maybe not this year, but soon. I could see it happening and there would be the whole Luv Ya Blue thing reborn. I wonder if Bud has that slogan trademarked. I don't want to have to give Bud a nickel everytime Mack Hayes sings Luv Ya Blue.

Luv Ya Navy Blue :texflag:

I think the Red Uniforms are better, I wish we could just switch to those as our primary and make the navy blues our alternate.

Insideop
08-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Luv Ya Navy Blue :texflag:

I think the Red Uniforms are better, I wish we could just switch to those as our primary and make the navy blues our alternate.

No! No! No! That's "Luv Ya Deep Steel Blue!" :shades:

Leahmic223
08-29-2007, 10:31 PM
No! No! No! That's "Luv Ya Deep Steel Blue!" :shades:

Yeah...its a bit darker than Navy I guess lol. We need to pull out the deep steel blue unis more often, I remember having a good game that day. But I see on the jersey schedule not this year...just the Red Unis twice.