PDA

View Full Version : Spencer to the PUP

Errant Hothy
08-28-2007, 07:05 PM
No big shocker there.

This is per 610 Sportsflash about 45 seconds ago.

At this point I just hope he's able to comeback at all.

Koolaid Time
08-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Any medical diagnosis given?

houstonhurricane
08-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Sad news. Hopefully he will be able to perform later this season.

tulexan
08-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Was this any real surprise? He hasn't participated at all in training camp.

CloakNNNdagger
08-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Any medical diagnosis given?

A cute case of Kneerosis Rustitis :shots:

TEXANRED
08-28-2007, 09:11 PM
A cute case of Kneerosis Rustitis :shots:

Good job cloak, now your going to make me go look this up......

TEXANRED
08-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Darn you.:stooges:

the wonger need food
08-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Nothing sad or unexpected here. Odds are against him playing this season but everyone seems pretty confident that he will be ready for next year. This was a very serious injury and it's only been about 10 months since it happened.

V3rm0nt3r
08-28-2007, 09:29 PM
At least their not rushing him back and risk a career ending injury.

edo783
08-28-2007, 10:23 PM
At least their not rushing him back and risk a career ending injury.

Pretty much my thinking. Wait on him til next year. Don't rush anything.

BSofA04
08-28-2007, 10:35 PM
For those who said not to rush Spencer back, I agree. As a fan though, it's tough not to see him on the field because he could be our best draft product. We'll have to wait to find out. He's an athlete, he'll bounce back.

TexansLucky13
08-28-2007, 10:43 PM
And we have the Dayne Train to thank for this.....

:brickwall:

Carr Bombed
08-28-2007, 10:50 PM
I will never forgive Ron Dayne. Everytime I look at him, I just think about a bust that took out the leg of the LT we've been waiting years for.

TexansLucky13
08-28-2007, 10:53 PM
I will never forgive Ron Dayne. Everytime I look at him, I just think about a bust that took out the leg of the LT we've been waiting years for.

Agreed.

:hairpull:

Joe Texan
08-28-2007, 10:54 PM
A cute case of Kneerosis Rustitis

Have you been hanging out with miss teen South Carolina

Runner
08-28-2007, 10:57 PM

Maybe you can go easier on Dayne if you ask yourself this question:

What was Spencer doing, being pushed back three yards towards the backfield on a running play?

ObsiWan
08-28-2007, 11:08 PM

every since that happened, I've felt the owes us

ATX
08-28-2007, 11:52 PM
every since that happened, I've felt the owes us

He was very instrumental in our first ever victory over the SB champs Colts....

TexanSam
08-28-2007, 11:56 PM
I wonder if the Texans and Kubiak still consider him the future at LT

bckey
08-29-2007, 01:42 AM
I hope Spencer can eventually play for us. What I don't want is for them to count on him for next year and pass up the lt position in the 08 draft.The Texans desperately need a good young center and a good young lt. Spencer may be the lt of the future but if Kubiak thinks there is even the slightest possibilty that he can't make it back then draft a lt.

BSofA04
08-29-2007, 02:55 AM
I hope Spencer can eventually play for us. What I don't want is for them to count on him for next year and pass up the lt position in the 08 draft.The Texans desperately need a good young center and a good young lt. Spencer may be the lt of the future but if Kubiak thinks there is even the slightest possibilty that he can't make it back then draft a lt.
I think from the DD/DW incident, Kubiak learned his lesson. This next draft is has 4 very solid LT's so I agree with you, if Spencer is a "maybe" we need to do what's best for the franchise.

But for now, I'm very excited about this season.
:fans:

PapaL
08-29-2007, 07:09 AM

What was Spencer doing, being pushed back three yards towards the backfield on a running play?

Blocking.

You don't have to block your man 3 yards down field. Especially at either T position you can make your guy run upfield and away from the play he essentially blocks/runs himself out of the play. More so on plays that are going through that T/G hole.

Not that I remember what the play was. Just speaking in general here.

Runner
08-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Blocking.

You don't have to block your man 3 yards down field. Especially at either T position you can make your guy run upfield and away from the play he essentially blocks/runs himself out of the play. More so on plays that are going through that T/G hole.

If I were to look at the results, I'd say Spencer's blocking on that particular play led him directly back to the path of the running back. I'm not sure that was how it was drawn up.

If the replay were available, I think a viewer would see that Spencer was noticeably slow off of the snap on that play and the defender was therefore able to explode into him and push him back.

Overalls
08-29-2007, 07:46 AM
I am not suprised. I just hope he can come back one day. It wasn't that long ago people were saying that this is a career threatening injury. That said, I think our O-line is looking far ahead of where it has in a long time. Does anyone remember what our sack total was when whats's his name, the QB missed a bunch of games. If I am not smoking the hippie lettuce, I believe we only gave up 29 that year. I know it was an unTexan like #. I think Schaub will make a world of difference.

Here is to Spencer making it back by the break.

Mr teX
08-29-2007, 09:10 AM
I am not suprised. I just hope he can come back one day. It wasn't that long ago people were saying that this is a career threatening injury. That said, I think our O-line is looking far ahead of where it has in a long time. Does anyone remember what our sack total was when whats's his name, the QB missed a bunch of games. If I am not smoking the hippie lettuce, I believe we only gave up 29 that year. I know it was an unTexan like #. I think Schaub will make a world of difference.

It is career threatening for him for various reasons. I don't see him coming back & being that same bookend LT we thought he could be. Kubes is just giving the young guy this extra opportunity to see if he can indeed bounce back & be the same guy they thought he could be when he was drafted. If they get any inkling that he can't be, they'll be looking at someone in the 08' draft.

Texans Horror
08-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Just PUP? Is this front office spin or does he really not belong on IR? Later in the season, can he be designated IR? I really want him to come back and succeed. My frustration/trepidation is that he didn't look all that good when he was in there, and now he has a bigger problem added to his learning curve.

beerlover
08-29-2007, 09:52 AM

he kinda had his hands full blocking Dwight Freeney & doing a mighty fine job of it as I remember :cool:

Marcus
08-29-2007, 10:01 AM

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3544

(on the progress of Spencer) I thinks been very good. Since they went in and did the scope, hes probably made as much progress as hes made throughout the process. I think its still a reach to say that hes going to play for us this year, but well see. Hes come a long way. Well know here within the next month. Hes going to have to make a great deal of progress for us to count on him playing. But, as far as will he play again, will he make it back, will he be a factor in this organization, I dont have any doubt that he will. But I think its still going to be a tough go this year.

Sorry Kubes, I love you to death. I think you're the coach that will take us to the Super Bowl. But I think Spencer's playing days are over. Hope you and Smith plan accordingly.

Mr. White
08-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Sorry Kubes, I love you to death. I think you're the coach that will take us to the Super Bowl. But I think Spencer's playing days are over. Hope you and Smith plan accordingly.

Agreed. It's looking more and more like Spencer is the new Joppru.

threetoedpete
08-29-2007, 10:22 AM

Or on third and long, with Spencer being bull rushed, where were Daynes eye's ?
Spencer's setting his feet to absorb the bull rush, I dont see how he could controll the situation. Dayne however, had all the controll. or should have. And he screwed the pooch. We can't afford another play like this is all I know. I forgive him. But I do not except that he had no culpablity on that play.

threetoedpete
08-29-2007, 10:31 AM
I think from the DD/DW incident, Kubiak learned his lesson. This next draft is has 4 very solid LT's so I agree with you, if Spencer is a "maybe" we need to do what's best for the franchise.

But for now, I'm very excited about this season.

Depending on the juniors who choose to come out there will be a few of them on the board in '08. So do you gamble on Spencer's recovery or do you wade in one one ? Don't nessecarily have to be a first round guy or an OLT. But I do expcet them to plug one of the three holes on our the o-line with a high end guy. Worst case scenario for me would be the group does come together and it gets pushed back onto the back burner one more time. There will be a lot of temptation on that board. The fact is they should be grooming Pitts' replacement now. And someone is going to have to decide whether or not Winston is going to make it this next off season.

Marcus
08-29-2007, 11:03 AM

Spencer's setting his feet to absorb the bull rush, I dont see how he could controll the situation. Dayne however, had all the controll. or should have. And he screwed the pooch. We can't afford another play like this is all I know. I forgive him. But I do not except that he had no culpablity on that play.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find this whole finger-pointing blame game to be silly and stupid. Ron Dayne didn't mean to hurt Spencer on that play. And Spencer didn't mean to put himself in a position to get hurt by Dayne.

It was a freak injury. File this in the 'Sh*t Happens' drawer and give it a rest.

The Pencil Neck
08-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Just PUP? Is this front office spin or does he really not belong on IR? Later in the season, can he be designated IR? I really want him to come back and succeed. My frustration/trepidation is that he didn't look all that good when he was in there, and now he has a bigger problem added to his learning curve.

On the PUP, they can check him out around game 7 and if he's still not ready, they can IR him.

Shaft75
08-29-2007, 11:17 AM
This shouldn't be any surprise. I told you guys that he told me that this weekend at the game. I feel bad for the guy. He was making a name for himself last year. I think putting him on the PUP is just giving him another deadline to be ready by.

PapaL
08-29-2007, 01:10 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I find this whole finger-pointing blame game to be silly and stupid. Ron Dayne didn't mean to hurt Spencer on that play. And Spencer didn't mean to put himself in a position to get hurt by Dayne.

It was a freak injury. File this in the 'Sh*t Happens' drawer and give it a rest.

Yeah but it's another reason why I dislike Ron "LT Career Killer" Dayne.

Malloy
08-29-2007, 01:41 PM

I agree, it's really pissing me off that there's so much finger-pointing here. I guess it's a Houston thing...

I blame the bone, quit breaking damnit!

The Pencil Neck
08-29-2007, 01:51 PM
I agree, it's really pissing me off that there's so much finger-pointing here. I guess it's a Houston thing...

I blame the bone, quit breaking damnit!

The bone is the victim, here. Don't blame the victim.

And don't even try to make the argument that the bone was asking for it.

Goldensilence
08-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Depending on the juniors who choose to come out there will be a few of them on the board in '08. So do you gamble on Spencer's recovery or do you wade in one one ? Don't nessecarily have to be a first round guy or an OLT. But I do expcet them to plug one of the three holes on our the o-line with a high end guy. Worst case scenario for me would be the group does come together and it gets pushed back onto the back burner one more time. There will be a lot of temptation on that board. The fact is they should be grooming Pitts' replacement now. And someone is going to have to decide whether or not Winston is going to make it this next off season.

Studdard has looked pretty good in the playing time he's gotten. Kid just looks like a football player and plays with the kind of fire i'd love to see the entire line play with.

I'm still very curious about Frye. Kid is really raw only playing one year at LT in college but has the kind of atheleticism for a solid LT. I'd prefer we keep him on the roster this year and let him develop as a good backup plan. Also Chris White. How he develops this year could play into next year's plans.

One other thought is say Spencer does make it back... probably not this year but next and he's lost a step or can't play to the level at LT we saw last year. What about moving him back inside? I'm wondering if that'd be an option.

Something else I've been pondering. Say the Texans Offense continues on the upward path it has been in preseason.THat during the regualr season it's suprisingly solid, can move the chains, and has big play capability. there's bound to be some coaching oppurtunities opening up next year. It'd look real good on Sherman's part for his time hear how he's helpd make big difference in the line's play. He's got a good coaching resume and could be in line for a new HC gig. How wil lthat change the dynamics of our OL plans? Do we continue with the hybrid ZB/power scheme or go to a more pure ZBS style?

Hervoyel
08-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Blocking.

Granted, he was blocking. At least he was attempting to block. When you're being pushed back like that however odds are you're losing.

It happened guys. These kinds of things happen in football. Blaming Ron Dayne for that is just ridiculous in my opinion.

HOU-TEX
08-29-2007, 02:48 PM
I don't blame Dayne for Spencer's injury. Personally, I don't like his running style. He will plow into whoever's in front of him, including our Olinemen. He's taken down easily by shoestring tackles. I don't like him as our #2 RB.

Hence the reason AG's got to remain healthy throughout the season. If he does, he'll have a career year.
:cool:

Texans Horror
08-29-2007, 03:04 PM
I still blame the Boselli Curse.

ObsiWan
08-29-2007, 03:12 PM
He was very instrumental in our first ever victory over the SB champs Colts....

that's a start.

badboy
08-29-2007, 04:38 PM

Look at your LTs on this team. No matter how Salaam does, he is not the man for the future. He is earning his check and is a stand in. Black has shown no reason for us to feel warm and cozy. Spencer comes back or not we need another LT. We should draft best one available and hope we have enough to do the job in 08. Problem is we still look to need a FS and CB going into next season. Now a one, third and fourth based on what we have seen with Smith's draft ability (which is one the scouts actually) could solve our problems; but I think free agency will be used for one spot at least.

Texans Horror
08-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Look at your LTs on this team. No matter how Salaam does, he is not the man for the future. He is earning his check and is a stand in. Black has shown no reason for us to feel warm and cozy. Spencer comes back or not we need another LT. We should draft best one available and hope we have enough to do the job in 08. Problem is we still look to need a FS and CB going into next season. Now a one, third and fourth based on what we have seen with Smith's draft ability (which is one the scouts actually) could solve our problems; but I think free agency will be used for one spot at least.

The Texans having big bucks next season should provide for at least one premiere player, likely a linebacker or d-back, IMO. But we're still 16 games away from any such decision.

badboy
08-29-2007, 05:23 PM
The Texans having big bucks next season should provide for at least one premiere player, likely a linebacker or d-back, IMO. But we're still 16 games away from any such decision.How can we justify going for a LB? I see that as one of our deepest spots. As LTs are solid in draft, we should go for that imo in first round so this priority position is locked up one way or the other. In 3rd, we can go for FS or CB best avail. Personally I think a strong FS will allow us to get by with what we have at CB for another year. i am ot clear on DB available in off season?

HOU-TEX
08-29-2007, 05:34 PM
How can we justify going for a LB? I see that as one of our deepest spots. As LTs are solid in draft, we should go for that imo in first round so this priority position is locked up one way or the other. In 3rd, we can go for FS or CB best avail. Personally I think a strong FS will allow us to get by with what we have at CB for another year. i am ot clear on DB available in off season?

Even though a position's deep in depth, doesn't mean there's quality NFL talent throughout.

IMO, we do need a LB. As well as a CB, FS, LT, C and eventually another RB. There's still several holes in the team. Having said that, there's still plenty of reason to be optimistic about this season. There have been many teams go deep in the playoffs still having question marks at multiple positions.:texflag:

Vega
08-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Let's not say that Spencer's not going to play again just because we've been screwed in the past by Boselli, Joppru, and DD/DW. Spencer has a different injury than any of them, and his recovery is completely independent of the recovery of any of the others. I know it's easy (and tempting) to say, "we've heard this song before," but unless I hear some actual medical evidence that he's not on the road to recovery, I'm still going to be optimistic that he can come back.

Now, that said, I definitely agree that his injury should not preclude us from making moves at LT. If he's able to come back and play this year, we will get a good feel for if he's a long term solution (although I would like more depth at the LT spot... no one right now gives me a warm fuzzy). If he can't come back, then we should also go after an LT (worse things have happened than having two).

The Pencil Neck
08-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Let's not say that Spencer's not going to play again just because we've been screwed in the past by Boselli, Joppru, and DD/DW. Spencer has a different injury than any of them, and his recovery is completely independent of the recovery of any of the others. I know it's easy (and tempting) to say, "we've heard this song before," but unless I hear some actual medical evidence that he's not on the road to recovery, I'm still going to be optimistic that he can come back.

Unfortunately, Spencer's injury doesn't have a high recovery rate. IIRC, it's at about 20-30% or something like that. Just the fact that he's able to walk without a cane should be seen as something of a success.

ObsiWan
08-29-2007, 06:06 PM

Our line isn't in as dismal shape as its sometimes advertised. Still, I agree, the "solid" guys now are getting along in years so that says we need to draft/sign stud O-Linemen next year and the year after to prepare them to step in.
- Salaam is playing fairly well now, in his, what?, 10th year. So now, or next year at the latest, draft a youngster next yr to take Salaam's place. I'm not betting on Spencer ever being completely right again.
- Winston seems to be doing fine at RT. Let's hope he keeps growing and we're set there for the next decade or so.
- I suspect that "Kasey Studdard" is being groomed as Pitts/Weary's replacement unit.
- Brandon Frye will likely spend this year on the practice squad and is probably going to end up being a guard or RT. He's supposedly the kind of athletic O-lineman Kubiak seeks.
- Chris White is young and on the rise; he could replace Flana-Kinney at center in the next couple of years.

Runner
08-29-2007, 06:42 PM

There are getting to be a lot of taboo subjects on this board.

Is there a place where I can list the posts I don't want to see any more? I usually just ignore them, but it might be simpler if everyone just posted what I wanted to see. :sarcasm:

Runner
08-29-2007, 06:56 PM

I'd assume looking for a hole in the line and looking at the defense, not looking at the ground three feet in front of him. I'm just saying Dayne doesn't need to be tarred and feathered over this.

"But we're not supposed to be talking about this", Runner susurrates.

Texans Horror
08-29-2007, 07:30 PM
How can we justify going for a LB? I see that as one of our deepest spots. As LTs are solid in draft, we should go for that imo in first round so this priority position is locked up one way or the other. In 3rd, we can go for FS or CB best avail. Personally I think a strong FS will allow us to get by with what we have at CB for another year. i am ot clear on DB available in off season?

I'm going on the huge assumption that the team won't hire a quarterback, running back, or lineman. JMO, but I don't think linemen fair that well when giong through free agency. It's just better to build your own blocker. Quarterbacks, running backs, and wide receivers should be set, but we'll see - especially when it comes to wide receivers. That leaves linebackers and d-backs. Both seem to fly around during the offseason, and I know of at least one linebacker who will be looking for a new home (Briggs). Not saying the Texans would have any interest in him. Just pointing out that d-backs and backers will be available. It will be an easy way for the Texans to fill a major hole so that they can address other issues (say a tackle, center, or another d-back) with the draft.

Texans Horror
08-29-2007, 07:33 PM
There are getting to be a lot of taboo subjects on this board.

Is there a place where I can list the posts I don't want to see any more? I usually just ignore them, but it might be simpler if everyone just posted what I wanted to see. :sarcasm:

I'm all for a stop to the Carr debate. I don't want to see the 2006 draft re-hashes either, or the coulda-been arguments.

badboy
08-30-2007, 04:49 PM
I think LT, CB and FS are easily our top weak areas. Now Faggin can step up this year and fill that need but I think he is a nickle CB. Perhaps Bennett will come along. John Mclain said that he has been improving, so we might not have to address that with a high pick & as I said, I'm not sure if any CB free agent will be available. If we can draft a solid player at FS that would ease the CB pressure also. I'm not too certain how Brandon Harrison will do. I still think LT is the place to go with #1 pick regardless if Spencer returns healthy or not and Kubes has said twice this week that Spencer might not be back this season.

dalemurphy
08-30-2007, 04:59 PM
I think LT, CB and FS are easily our top weak areas. Now Faggin can step up this year and fill that need but I think he is a nickle CB. Perhaps Bennett will come along. John Mclain said that he has been improving, so we might not have to address that with a high pick & as I said, I'm not sure if any CB free agent will be available. If we can draft a solid player at FS that would ease the CB pressure also. I'm not too certain how Brandon Harrison will do. I still think LT is the place to go with #1 pick regardless if Spencer returns healthy or not and Kubes has said twice this week that Spencer might not be back this season.

I'm inclined to go with best player available with the first round pick... with $30 million in cap room, we can fill needs in free agency (much like last year) and then draft for value.

let's not forget we'll need a young RB next season.

badboy
08-31-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm inclined to go with best player available with the first round pick... with $30 million in cap room, we can fill needs in free agency (much like last year) and then draft for value.

let's not forget we'll need a young RB next season.Not trying to be argumentative but let's look at it. We are not imo at the point where we can take best player now, we need to shore up our weak areas as all three are significant. 2008 free agents that Texans might be interested in 1)RB Michael Turner UFA Chargers 25 yoa probably a bidding war. 2) LT Max Starks UFA Steelers 6'7" 337 solid but not a super star. Will probably require a high $ package. We've got it but will he be worth it? 3) Mike Doss Safety Vikings.

I usually prefer a young free agent that you have some sort of NFL history to base a decision on compared to draft. However, you have to gamble a lot of $ as you do with day one picks. For another year, I am saying we need to get the LT resolved. Is that Starks? Maybe. With our new QB and offense, we might not need a pro bowler just a solid guy that gets the job done(see Matt Schaub). Black will make this team and that is a shame. Spencer probably will not be back this season. That is a lot of pressure on Salaam. Do you make an offer now to Steelers for Starks? Does Pittsburgh want to keep him? In my mind, I go for a LT in first round as there should be one available when we pick. In 3rd, we can go for best available CB or Safety IF we have to. Maybe Bennett wins the starter role as I predict. Now we have LT in first, no need for a #2 CB so we can draft FS in 3rd or a RB if we can get a FS agent. We have done pretty well drafting RB on day two. Green looks good now but will he at the end of 16 games? Maybe Walker does a Jacoby and nails down the RB position for 08. At least with our picks and $30 million we should be able to address our pressing needs.

DBCooper
08-31-2007, 04:30 PM
1)RB Michael Turner UFA Chargers 25 yoa probably a bidding war. 2) LT Max Starks UFA Steelers 6'7" 337 solid but not a super star. Will probably require a high $ package. We've got it but will he be worth it? 3) Mike Doss Safety Vikings.

1. He will get some decent money next year. And we just paid decent money this year for Green. I see a RB in the draft.

2. I don't know much about Starks. If Spencer cannot play this year, they will have to do something.

3. Doss would be a nice pickup.

threetoedpete
08-31-2007, 05:39 PM
The Texans having big bucks next season should provide for at least one premiere player, likely a linebacker or d-back, IMO. But we're still 16 games away from any such decision.

Well Asante Samuels franchise number is around 7.9 million. So, times that by four or five years plus 10% ,then figure your signing bonus.....top flight corner isn't going to be cheap. Bennit needs to get on a weight program and get up to speed PDQ ,I'm thinking.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Seth Wand was just released by the Tacks. His release from the Texans was still somewhat puzzling to many.........performance? personal conflict?.........lots of stories were out there, but nothing solid. Lots of people thought that he could still develop into a decent LT.

Runner
08-31-2007, 11:42 PM
Seth Was was just released by the Tacks. His release from the Texans was still somewhat puzzling to many.........performance? personal conflict?.........lots of stories were out there, but nothing solid. Lots of people thought that he could still develop into a decent LT.

There was no freakin' personal conflict with whoever. If Wand was anything he was a solid citizen.

IMO.

The team decided to go another direction.

beerlover
08-31-2007, 11:58 PM
Well Asante Samuels franchise number is around 7.9 million. So, times that by four or five years plus 10% ,then figure your signing bonus.....top flight corner isn't going to be cheap. Bennit needs to get on a weight program and get up to speed PDQ ,I'm thinking.

if Spencer cannot fully recover expect the Texans to finally draft a top LT, then add secondary help. Cap room money would best be invested in future contracts to tie up current players the Texans want to keep long term like DeMeco, Jacoby & Daniels, however I do like taking advantage of other teams mistakes when presented (Schuab) :)

Texans Horror
09-01-2007, 01:23 AM
So far, Studdard's still on board...we'll see if he makes it past 3 pm tomorrow...

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2007, 09:51 AM
There was no freakin' personal conflict with whoever. If Wand was anything he was a solid citizen.

IMO.

The team decided to go another direction.

To me, Wand was indeed a non trouble maker......but these were rumors (unfounded) going on. My feeling is that he did not show the "fire" they were looking for. Still, I believe he could be a viable LT......in this system.

That being said, the Tacks have 3 remaining tackles.......Roos has been their LT in 2006 and they seems pretty satisfied with him. From the other 2, one is a swing guard/tackle (mostly right) with STs value.........and the other one is strictly a right tackle. Unless they are going to fish for more tackle, I would call this a very "lean" list. But they have so many needs, they may feel that they must restock the squad with other unduplicated positions that have virtually no realistic potential at this time.

Runner
09-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Unless they are going to fish for more tackle, I would call this a very "lean" list. But they have so many needs, they may feel that they must restock the squad with other unduplicated positions that have virtually no realistic potential at this time.

It is lean - they have 8 o-lineman, one of whom is a rookie fourth round draft pick they pretty much had to keep on the roster or lose. I don't know if any team goes into the season with that few. They must have a bunch of receivers or some other position where they are going for quantity over quality.