PDA

View Full Version : Trade talk continues

real
08-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Chiefs notes
ēTRADE TALKS CONTINUE: Speculation continues that the Chiefs are attempting to trade backup safety Greg Wesley, possibly to Houston. Wesley, who performed well in Thursdayís game, said he hadnít heard any new news on his status.

Wesley has been unhappy since losing his starting job.
ďIím confident in my ability,Ē Wesley said. ďI know what I can do and what I can bring to a team. Whatever happens, happens. Iím preparing myself for whatever. Iím in shape. I feel good and Iím ready to play, but right now Iím as blind as anyone to the situation.Ē

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/246903-p2.html

LORK 88
08-27-2007, 03:57 PM
I really want this to happen, especially with Earl out and us being incredibly thin at safety to begin with. I know he's not a great cover safety, but he's definitely an upgrade over what we have curently (Brown's bad angles are killing me and Simmons is more of an in the box safety). My only concern is what the cost is for him. I wouldn't mind giving up a 5th for him, but I wouldn't feel too confortable giving up anything more than that.

Texans_Chick
08-27-2007, 03:58 PM
A trade to Houston might be uncomfortable for them given that they play Week 1.

The Patriots are notorious for signing players just to get info on opposing teams. To help the Texans at a really thin position might be a little rough on them.

Shaft75
It would be great to have him on our team, but Simmons hasn't done all that bad filling in for Earl.

eriadoc
I think we should trade them Jordan Black for Wesley, lol.

Errant Hothy
08-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Did anybody remember to watch the KC-NO game over the weekend? Could Weasley really have played that well, seeing NO went for something near 480 total yards?

hollywood_texan
08-27-2007, 04:02 PM
A trade to Houston might be uncomfortable for them given that they play Week 1.

Then maybe a trade after opening day?

real
08-27-2007, 04:07 PM
The guy has been in the leauge 7 years and has 29 career INT's. (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/playerStats?categoryId=69881) Has gone over the 100 tkl plateau. Has forced a fumble in every season except one.

Plus he's fairly Young at 28.

The only question I have is....Strong or Free ?

Anyone know which one he plays and how good is he ?

Errant Hothy
08-27-2007, 04:10 PM
The guy has been in the leauge 7 years and has 29 career INT's. (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/playerStats?categoryId=69881) Has gone over the 100 tkl plateau. Has forced a fumble in every season except one.

And on the other hand you have Chief's fans saying he does nothing but get burned. So do we go with the numbers or the reports from the fans?

real
08-27-2007, 04:12 PM
And on the other hand you have Chief's fans saying he does nothing but get burned. So do we go with the numbers or the reports from the fans?

I'll go with neither and try and find a clip of him for myself.

It's not like fans haven't called out guys that have gone elsewhere and had success.

Jabar Gaffney...

Lucky
08-27-2007, 04:19 PM

He's played both. He was the SS before moving to FS when Sammy Knight was signed a couple of years a couple of years ago.

infantrycak
08-27-2007, 04:22 PM

Spent his first five years at strong and then started the last two at free.

AZwhoopr
08-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Wesley would be an upgrade to what we have right now no doubt. But if he were to come here his heart better be with Houston rather than KC come game 1 of the season!:bat:

kiwitexansfan
08-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Wesley would be an upgrade to what we have right now no doubt. But if he were to come here his heart better be with Houston rather than KC come game 1 of the season!:bat:

There will be resentment against KC for the benching and trade. He'd come to play.

YoungTexanFan
08-27-2007, 05:50 PM
I hope we sign the guy just so C.C. Brown doesn't have to start for us.

V3rm0nt3r
08-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Bring him in to chalenge both of the safetys and see which one is weaker.

A teams only as strong as it's weakest link.

kiwitexansfan
08-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Bring him in to chalenge both of the safetys and see which one is weaker.

A teams only as strong as it's weakest link.

I like your thinking.

3/4 of the secondary could use an upgrade at this point. In my view it is the teams only significant weakness.

Errant Hothy
08-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Any news?

mexican_texan
08-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Any news?
I haven't heard anything, but I would say the Chiefs wouldn't make a trade until after we play them.

Errant Hothy
08-28-2007, 04:40 PM
I haven't heard anything, but I would say the Chiefs wouldn't make a trade until after we play them.

I don't know. Firstly if the Chief's trade him after week one I don't think the Texans offer as much. Also the Chiefs may want to trade him before the final cuts to free up a roster spot.

Mr. White
08-28-2007, 05:00 PM
If the trade were to happen as soon as today, what are the chances he could even play the opening game?

Seems like it might take a little longer to acclimate a new player to the defense than the offense.

V3rm0nt3r
08-28-2007, 07:05 PM
If the trade were to happen as soon as today, what are the chances he could even play the opening game?

Seems like it might take a little longer to acclimate a new player to the defense than the offense.

close to none but as TexansChick said he could be useful to feed Kubiak info on the schemes and such.

ObsiWan
08-28-2007, 07:19 PM

I know this isn't the same guy who chastised me for quoting "numbers" when I was discussing Morlon Greenwood's worth.
:)

back to topic:
I agree that we should make this deal. KC, if I'm not mistaken, is asking for a 5th or 6th rd pick. I haven't heard what Rick Smith's counter offer was...
....anyone know?
...maybe a 7th, upgradeable to a 6th if he ends up starting or playing XX number of snaps...?

The Pencil Neck
08-28-2007, 07:24 PM
back to topic:
I agree that we should make this deal. KC, if I'm not mistaken, is asking for a 5th or 6th rd pick. I haven't heard what Rick Smith's counter offer was...
....anyone know?
...maybe a 7th, upgradeable to a 6th if he ends up starting or playing XX number of snaps...?

Rick Smith almost has them convinced to just give us this guy but he's bargaining for them to give us their first round pick, too.

Greedy bastid.

:whip:

kiwitexansfan
08-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Rick Smith almost has them convinced to just give us this guy but he's bargaining for them to give us their first round pick, too.

Greedy bastid.

:whip:

Rick Smith is the man.

I would give a 6th or 7th for him.

GuerillaBlack
08-28-2007, 07:53 PM
If we could get a 7th for him, that would be great.

Errant Hothy
08-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Update time:

Why lose a pick at all to get Weasley

Chiefs | Wesley on the bubble?
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:52:24 -0700

Bob Gretz, of KCChiefs.com, reports Kansas City Chiefs FS Greg Wesley may not make the team's final roster.

per www.kffl.com

FYI, remember the hype for Boomer Grisby, well the Chiefs have moved him to FB, and he may not make the 53 man roster.

Twitch-Houston
08-31-2007, 12:46 PM
FYI, remember the hype for Boomer Grisby, well the Chiefs have moved him to FB, and he may not make the 53 man roster.

I think he's hurt.

badboy
08-31-2007, 12:59 PM
I think it was reported that KC asked for a 6th but Smith said no. If, as I project Bennett come on strong at CB and the Dline developes a push, the pressure eases significantly on the safeties. If we can upgrade by gtting him for a 6th or 7th, I signed off on that deal. But remember draft is reportedly strong in most rounds next year.

PapaL
08-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Update time:

Why lose a pick at all to get Weasley

Chiefs | Wesley on the bubble?
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:52:24 -0700

Bob Gretz, of KCChiefs.com, reports Kansas City Chiefs FS Greg Wesley may not make the team's final roster.

per www.kffl.com

Guess we will find out tomorrow. Hopefully they cut him and we sign him.

Carr Bombed
08-31-2007, 02:58 PM
Every big passing play we gave up during the preseason came straight up the middle of the field, we desperately need to do something to close that weakness.

HuttoKarl
08-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Every big passing play we gave up during the preseason came straight up the middle of the field, we desperately need to do something to close that weakness.

Yep...we need Kenny Phillips in the 2008 draft!!!

Errant Hothy
08-31-2007, 03:11 PM
Yep...we need Kenny Phillips in the 2008 draft!!!

We'll need to finish below .500 to get a draft spot high enough to get Mr. Philips. So which would you rather have a .500 or better season; or a losing season and the chance to get Philips in the 08 draft?

badboy
08-31-2007, 03:23 PM
Every big passing play we gave up during the preseason came straight up the middle of the field, we desperately need to do something to close that weakness.Some of it has to be the FS cheating over to help the CB. ALso, our LBs are good on the run but not so good in coverage. This will resolve somewhat as we get a few games under our belts.

Wolf
08-31-2007, 03:57 PM
tidbit

Safety Greg Wesley. The Chiefs have been trying to trade Wesley for the better part of the last six months. There have been a couple of interested parties including most recently the Houston Texans. That deal didn’t get done when Wesley refused to re-negotiate his contract. Wesley can still contribute on the field, but he won’t be a starter and that’s not likely to leave him as a happy camper.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/08/31/gretz_the_next_moves/

Linebacker Rich Scanlon. The Chiefs figure to keep seven linebackers, although the situation with Wesley may force them to carry five safeties, which has a trickle down effect on the other positions. Right now, it looks like Scanlon trying to pry the seventh linebacker spot out of the hands of rookie free agent Nate Harris. Against St. Louis, Scanlon and Harris were on all four major kicking teams units. The decision may come down to Scanlon’s experience against Harris’ upside and speed.

Texans34Life
08-31-2007, 04:40 PM
So Wesley doesn't like the $ we are trying to offer him....great.

Damn you McNair!

Errant Hothy
08-31-2007, 04:48 PM
So Wesley doesn't like the $ we are trying to offer him....great.

Damn you McNair!

This isn't baseball, where the owner can simply spend to his heart content.

There is the salary cap, and you don't want to over pay for somebody ala Casserley, and if it is anybody's call it was Rick Smiths not McNairs.

Marcus
08-31-2007, 06:07 PM
I'll go with neither and try and find a clip of him for myself.

It's not like fans haven't called out guys that have gone elsewhere and had success.

Jabar Gaffney...

:rofl:

YOU could have success as a receiver with Brady throwing to you.

Please.

Errant Hothy
09-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Looks like he's staying in KC:

Chiefs | Wesley likely to remain with team
Sat, 1 Sep 2007 08:21:46 -0700

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs FS Greg Wesley will likely begin the season with the team. The Chiefs discussed a trade involving Wesley with at least two teams, including the Denver Broncos and Houston Texans, but those talks cooled.

per www.kffl.com

Marcus
09-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Looks like he's staying in KC:

The Chiefs discussed a trade involving Wesley with at least two teams, including the Denver Broncos and Houston Texans, but those talks cooled.

I bet they wouldn't have cooled if Casserly was still here. Wesley most likely would be a Texan right now, and KC would have gotten another 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.:eek: