PDA

View Full Version : Random Preseason Thoughts

The Pencil Neck
08-27-2007, 03:21 PM
There were a couple of other threads these might have fit into but... what the heck.

1. The 3rd preseason game is widely regarded as the best 'test' of your starters. This is where you really gameplan a little and try to play your starters for over a half. Interestingly, this is the first time we've won that third game. Even though we went 3-1 last year, we lost to Denver 17-14 in the third preseason game. :fans:

2. I'm starting to get the feeling that Anthony Weaver is going to get PUP'd or traded.

3. I think there's a possibility that Jordan Black doesn't make the team.

4. People talked about how bad our defense looked against the Cardinals. Did anyone notice that the Cards lit up the Chargers D pretty good?

5. I think that Rick Smith is trying to work some magic today to get a deal done to bring in some secondary help.

barrett
08-27-2007, 03:40 PM
1. good point.

2. from everything that I've heard Kubiak say, Weaver is slated to play in the opener at KC. I doubt seriously we would trade him at this point. PUP'd maybe but currently from all the information out there he will be playing (maybe not starting, but playing) in the KC game. Kalu and Cochran both have shown some good moments. Plus with the moving Mario experiment last week I"m not sure who goes where anymore. Orr and Anderson are in a 3 point from time to time last week and then there is Babin. If Mario is on a strong side things get pretty wide open as to where and who plays the other side.

It would appear to me that they are still trying to figure out how to get that D-Line to work and with Weaver still an unknown, I doubt they would abandon the idea of keeping him in the mix.

3.No Way. Allthough Jordan Black has been pretty lackluster, He's the second best LT we have on the team right now that isn't hurt. Plus Kubiak just said that Black "was brought in to push Ephraam and that is exactly what he has done. He'd doing a good job". So I don't see him going anywhere.

4.It doesn't change the fact that our pass defense has looked bad against everybody (even the Cowboys at times) thus far. Good for the Cards, bad for us.

Side note though - Duante was a terror out there on every play except the one that he misjudged that Romo over threw and he was caught way out of position. He even would have stopped that TO touchdown if he hadn't knocked himself silly.

5. Best I can tell Rick Smith is always working his magic. I have a severe man crush on that dude.

The Pencil Neck
08-27-2007, 04:51 PM
2. I don't think Jordan Black IS our best uninjured LT. I think he's our 3rd or possibly 4th best uninjured LT behind Salaam, Pitts, and possibly Winston. They might keep Black on the roster to go in occasionally and spell Salaam but if Salaam goes down with a serious injury, I don't think Black becomes the starter. I think they'd re-arrange a bunch of other things and either move Studdard to LG and Pitts to LT or move Winston over to LT and either Black or Jackson to RT.

So, it starts getting complicated because you've got Frye who's got a lot of potential and he's a guy that might not clear waivers. But I don't think you can keep Frye and Black.

If we use Black to give Salaam rests, then we're going to have to call plays to minimize the possible damage he can do. We'd have to do the same thing if we stuck Frye in there and personally, I'd feel better moving Winston over and putting Jackson in.

But, I didn't say that Black is definitely gone. Just possibly. He's gotten schooled by some 2nd and 3rd stringers.

BSofA04
08-27-2007, 05:37 PM
I agree that Jordan Black doesn't seem like a viable option for fulltime LT duties. He just seems weak and slow.

I'm hoping that Rick Smith can pull off some crazy trade and get us someone who will not only push Salaam, but could possible take over LT duties later this year. Salaam is a solid LT, but he seems to wear down towards the end of the season and that's not good when we have to play the Bucs, Broncs and Jags in December. If we can get someone that can take reps off Salaam to fill in from time to time, I'd be beneficial later down the line. Case in point, Salaam's going to see Peppers (at times ), Freeney/Mathis, Jason Taylor and Jamaal Anderson right off the bat.

Of course this is assuming Spencer doesn't make it back this year. Kubiak gives me the indication that they might hold him out this year.

kiwitexansfan
08-27-2007, 07:29 PM
If Rick Smith is working magic it better be for secondary help because we do get toasted back there.

Our O-Line is adequate, Salaam is surprisingly effective and the rest are solid.

In terms of back up LT, we are thin, I am not a fan of shifting Pitts to cover their if Salaam goes down and despite his limitations Black has savvy on his side over Frye and whoever else you might throw in there.

Spike
08-28-2007, 12:16 AM
(3) I just don't think we are deep enough to get rid of a veteran LT right now. What about putting Frye on the practice squad?

(5) If Rick Smith goes out and finds someone to shore up the secondary, they ought to go ahead and make him GM of the year before the season starts.

The Pencil Neck
08-28-2007, 12:20 AM
(3) I just don't think we are deep enough to get rid of a veteran LT right now. What about putting Frye on the practice squad?

I just think that Frye might not clear waivers and I think he's a more talented tackle than Black with a lot more potential. It would be a shame to lose the kid.

The Pencil Neck
08-28-2007, 12:26 AM
(3) I guess there's also a possibility that we'll keep both Jordan Black and Frye and possibly just keep 1 FB on the roster. Kubiak has mentioned that Dreessen and OD can both line up as fullbacks. We could keep Vonta, move Abbate to the practice squad, and let Cook go. That leaves us with just 4 running backs: Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Gado/Lundy, and Leach.

But it does free up a spot for an extra lineman.

It's going to be interesting to see how Kubiak/Smith shuffle our O and D line spots around.

threetoedpete
08-28-2007, 12:26 AM

(5) If Rick Smith goes out and finds someone to shore up the secondary, they ought to go ahead and make him GM of the year before the season starts.

I stand to be corrected, but has Frye seen any PT with the third team guys ?

I don't understand why you move the best o-lineman we got out of position ? Weaken two positions in one move....Brilliant ! If you've watched Chester Pitts closly when he pulls, his OLT days are floating down the river of seasons past. Moving Pitts would be, at best, a dessperation move. I'm sure he'd love the oportunity, but Kubiak and Sherman ain't moving him.

Carr Bombed
08-28-2007, 12:28 AM
Black will not stick here just because he's the #2 LT, he will be on the Texans roster because he's a versatile lineman that can play mulitple positions along the line, like he did in KC.

Thats what you want in your backup lineman and thats why I think Jordan Black will be on the roster.

It is a shame that Brandon Frye got hurt and never was able to show what he's got, because I too think he has some potential, but if he doesn't clear waivers I think we'll just take another lineman with potential in the next draft.

We do have Studdard and he has played very well. He will be a great back up for the guards.

barrett
08-28-2007, 12:54 AM
I don't understand why you move the best o-lineman we got out of position ? Weaken two positions in one move. Moving Pitts would be, at best, a dessperation move.

I agree. I know I've seen several posts over the last two years talking about moving him but I just don't see it. I think sliding Winston over and letting Jackson play makes more sense than moving Chester.

But in the end, I agree with Carr Bomb word for word on Black. I'm not a fan of his play either but there is no question that versatility seems to be the #1 decider of backups in this league. #2 is probably youth, but it is still #2.Thats all Kubiak talked about last year was who is our swing? who is our swing? Versatility.

totally unrelated, cut Cook. Keep one Fullback. I can't watch him drop another pass.

Well, ok, somewhat related, because Kubiak was also talking about the center battle and talking about how McKinney's ability to play two positions means they only suit 7 Linemen instead of 8. If we keep only one fullback and McKinney counts as two spots, it is conceivable that we would keep Frye anyway, or at least someone that might develop.

just a thought.

brakos82
08-28-2007, 01:28 AM
There's a reason God made Oklahoma... :texflag:

Carr Bombed
08-28-2007, 01:30 AM
There's a reason God made Oklahoma... :texflag:

I don't think God made OKlahoma....

http://www.nbc5i.com/sports/13968715/detail.html?better_headline

Insideop
08-28-2007, 08:18 AM
I just think that Frye might not clear waivers and I think he's a more talented tackle than Black with a lot more potential. It would be a shame to lose the kid.

Yep, I agree with ya on this one P.N. I hope they find a way to keep Frye. Maybe they could put him on the PUP (he was hurt in TC for awhile) and keep him that way. I just don't want them to expose him to the waiver wire, lose him, and have him turn out to be a good lineman somewhere else. Especially when we need good O-linemen here. JMHO!