PDA

View Full Version : From the Dallas Morning News . . .

Marcus
08-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Want to read a Dallas sportswriter's take?

Super Bowl talk premature after Cowboys' performance (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/082607dnspotaylor.3b02d72.html)

We all know Houstonians have an inferiority complex when it comes to Dallas, in part, because football reigns in Texas and the Cowboys have five championships, while Houston the Oilers or Texans has never even played in a Super Bowl.

"We knew they were going to be aggressive," said Marcus Spears, "because of the whole Houston-Dallas thing."

There's no team Houston would rather beat than Dallas. That's why there was playoff-type intensity in Reliant Stadium.

No joke.

Is there any other rational explanation for why 70,512 the largest preseason crowd in the history of professional football in Houston watched the game? Does the Governor's Cup really mean that much?

Guess so.

Tony Romo said the crowd noise contributed to a fumbled snap in the shotgun and nearly caused another. Phillips said the Cowboys didn't match Houston's intensity.

No one disagreed.

They couldn't. All you had to do was look at the scoreboard.

real
08-26-2007, 04:45 PM
LOL@ no team Houston would rather beat than Dallas...

Making it sound like we went all out while they were cruising is just making excuses....

They lost because they were losers.....the end....

rollinstone18
08-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Cowboys fans are so smug. The CBS announcers here in Austin were killing me.

nfl-brit
08-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Inferiority complex my flawless arse!

Dallas suck!:cowboy1:

Honoring Earl 34
08-26-2007, 04:56 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d801d9a16&template=without-video&confirm=true

SheTexan
08-26-2007, 05:03 PM
If the situation had been in reverse, the media would be having a field day!! We would be blasted with clips of the Cowboys beating the c*ap out of the Texans! The only clip I saw last night, after coming home from the game, was of TO making his TD. They didn't even mention JJs kick off return, just his TD. Really tickes me off how they down play any success we have. I know we have to earn it, and we will. BUT, in the meantime, it would be nice to see some positive coverage, esp when we deserve it, like NOW!! JMO!

Leahmic223
08-26-2007, 05:06 PM
If the situation had been in reverse, the media would be having a field day!! We would be blasted with clips of the Cowboys beating the c*ap out of the Texans! The only clip I saw last night, after coming home from the game, was of TO making his TD. They didn't even mention JJs kick off return, just his TD. Really tickes me off how they down play any success we have. I know we have to earn it, and we will. BUT, in the meantime, it would be nice to see some positive coverage, esp when we deserve it, like NOW!! JMO!

Yep saw ESPN this morning...no Jacoby Jones...

That's alright, when we start winning all those guys will swear they had the Texans going 10-6. :texflag:

nunusguy
08-26-2007, 05:20 PM
The best laugh I got from the Cowboys fans about the final score was in viewing one of their message-boards a 'Pokes fan offered that one of the reasons they lost to the Texans was that the Cowboys were more preoccupied with evaluating their younger players. I just thought that was kinda amusing given that he didn't seem to realize that Phillips left his starters in the game 'bout 5 or 10 minutes longer than Kubiak did.

Honoring Earl 34
08-26-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm just posting articles ... I'm not trying to take over your thread Marcus .

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/214280.html

Wolf
08-26-2007, 06:09 PM
what gets me is when they mention the attendance..and like every game played ..I am sure there were a few thousand cowboy fans... and like any good team.. when on the road, you take care of business early and you shut down the crowd noise..

I didn't see much complaining from the Cowboy writers when it was in Arlington...and said the Texans lost because they didn't have enough in attendance.

sometimes I hate preseason.. because excuses come in bunches ..one team prepared more, one team left their starts.. well on the other side of the fence.. one team should have prepared enough and the other team, it should be a blessing because it should be better competition for the 2nd team if another team left their starters in ..

gwallaia
08-26-2007, 06:12 PM
What a prick.

I would rather beat the Hillbillies.

Hervoyel
08-26-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm not a Cowboys fan by any stretch of the imagination but I see the "inferiority complex" they're talking about all the time in here and on the main board. I look at people waving around 19-10 signs and I cringe inside because all it does is look weak and pointless. The beating the Cowboys put on us last season sucked to watch but I think it was a good thing in the long run. It put a stop to all that 19-10 crap.

The Dallas Cowboys have won 5 Super Bowls and Houston professional football teams haven't even caught a whiff of a Super Bowl. That's the bottom line. The only response to that is to go out and win a championship and then to do it again. The only response to that is to go out and win consistently while ignoring this manufactured rivalry that does nothing but make Houston fans look envious of what Dallas fans have.

Ignore it people. Ignore them.

I like to watch the Cowboys get beat but more than that I like to watch the Texans win games. When they move Dallas to the AFC South then I'll care about them on a full time basis. Until then they mean nothing to me unless they're on our plate come Sunday.

Marcus
08-26-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm just posting articles ... I'm not trying to take over your thread Marcus .

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/214280.html

Thanks for the link.

Talk about secondary problems. Newman has a plantar fascia tear in his heel?

Sounds like we have a better chance of going to the Super Bowl than they do.

Twitch-Houston
08-26-2007, 06:36 PM
what gets me is when they mention the attendance..and like every game played ..I am sure there were a few thousand cowboy fans...

There were more than a few thousand bandwag.....er um...Cowboy fans there. Our tickets were on the 40 three rows back from the Cowboy's bench and we were surrounded by cocky Cowboy fans. They were as into the game as we were. They just didn't have as much to cheer about as we did. :doot:

After Romo threw the interception, one of the Cowpie fans could only say, "Wait till December"

brakos82
08-26-2007, 06:39 PM
After Romo threw the interception, one of the Cowpie fans could only say, "Wait till December"

Then what, they'll freeze half to death and still play poor football? :texflag:

V3rm0nt3r
08-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Typical Cowgirl BS!!!

Take this loss like a man like we did for these last 5 years.

And all this CRAP about the back up corner and the crowd is pathetic. A SUPER BOWL contending team should not lose to a team looking at a top 10 pick for the 3rd year in a row.

BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wild:

nfl-brit
08-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Would this be an appropriate moment to remind everyone that Dallas suck?

:fans:

grinch1134
08-26-2007, 08:20 PM
What is really crazy is that after the Broncos game with the Pokes, Denver complained that the Pokes broke the unspoken rule of not playing too hard during the preseason. The Pokes replied that they play to win every game and laughed at the playing too hard comments. Wow, that attitude has changed.

DeepSteelBlue
08-26-2007, 08:23 PM

But ESPN did manage to show TO score. ESPN really sux...

nfl-brit
08-26-2007, 08:28 PM
What is really crazy is that after the Broncos game with the Pokes, Denver complained that the Pokes broke the unspoken rule of not playing too hard during the preseason. The Pokes replied that they play to win every game and laughed at the playing too hard comments. Wow, that attitude has changed.

Makes the various excuses/comments I've been reading about ring hollow, methinks. The Cowgirls are bruised, mate, no doubt about it. I don't think they'll be the only egos we bruise this season, either!

The future's so bright..........I'm going to drink more beer!

:fans:

Hardcore Texan
08-26-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm not a Cowboys fan by any stretch of the imagination but I see the "inferiority complex" they're talking about all the time in here and on the main board. I look at people waving around 19-10 signs and I cringe inside because all it does is look weak and pointless. The beating the Cowboys put on us last season sucked to watch but I think it was a good thing in the long run. It put a stop to all that 19-10 crap.

The Dallas Cowboys have won 5 Super Bowls and Houston professional football teams haven't even caught a whiff of a Super Bowl. That's the bottom line. The only response to that is to go out and win a championship and then to do it again. The only response to that is to go out and win consistently while ignoring this manufactured rivalry that does nothing but make Houston fans look envious of what Dallas fans have.

Ignore it people. Ignore them.

I like to watch the Cowboys get beat but more than that I like to watch the Texans win games. When they move Dallas to the AFC South then I'll care about them on a full time basis. Until then they mean nothing to me unless they're on our plate come Sunday.

I don't buy into this "inferiority complex" that is being talked about here, it may be some Houston fans feel this way, but not me or any other fans that I know personally, I just can't stand the cowgirls period. I am surrounded by "Cowboy" fans who know nothing about the team and love to slam the Texans every chance they get. So it's more like they have a superiority complex. I prefer to have a more educated opinion than most of the cowpie fans I bump into with more knowledge about my team other than starting QB's name or just that we suck for drafting Mario. Talk about freakin' annoying!

They do have a bunch a rings, and none of those players are around anymore either, and we are a very new/young team. Its kind of apples to oranges. So just because they have had past success doesn't mean we aren't a worthy opponent...somehting they just had to learn the hard way.

I think the fans were excited about this interstate rivalry, I don't think it is manufactured at all, the players were way into it. Did you see D Rob's reaction or TO's reaction, or Owen Daniels pop up after that hard hit. It look like there was no love lost out there.

TexansSB07
08-26-2007, 10:00 PM
What a prick.

I would rather beat the Hillbillies.

Jean Jacques Taylor is most definitely a prick of epic proportions, but after hammering most of DFW sportsmedia (I live in Cowgirl Land) he is only one to answer back.

He claims we getting too worked up over a preseason game, I told him hey go back to 2005 preseason game and look at the over the top writing claiming cowboys destined for greatness in 2005 (when they didn't make playoffs).

Well you guys are wound up to tight was his response, I said we were wound up because you BS artists are saying meaningless game, Dallas bored and "uninspired", instead of manning up and admitting got butt kicked for 3 quarters.

Guys face Dallas sportsmedia would disappear if one of the local owners stopped too suddenly, I have given up get one of the crack attack to admit they got handled like you would a dirty diaper..DUMPED IN THE TRASH!!!

:texflag:

CloakNNNdagger
08-26-2007, 11:23 PM
LOL@ no team Houston would rather beat than Dallas...

Making it sound like we went all out while they were cruising is just making excuses....

They lost because they were losers.....the end....

Wasn't it George Washington that once said, "It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one."?

HardcoreTexan
08-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Tony homo and the cowgirls suck:wild:

TexanRevolution
08-27-2007, 12:07 AM
Rep your way on that TexansSB07.

I e-mailed Mr. Taylor the following quip;

Wait just a second...on one hand, you blast Denver for complaining about "secret preseason code about game-planning for opponents." Then justify Dallas' @ss whipping by saying that "There's no team Houston would rather beat than Dallas. That's why there was playoff-type intensity in Reliant Stadium. No joke. Is there any other rational explanation for why 70,512 the largest preseason crowd in the history of professional football in Houston watched the game? Does the Governor's Cup really mean that much?"

Actually, there's no fans we'd rather shut up than the ridiculous band wagoning, front-running loudmouths called Dallas sports fans. We could give a rat's @ss about your Cowboys...its your arrogant fans (and your uppity sportswriters whom we detest).

So let me get this straight; Denver gets lambasted for accusing Dallas of 'playing too hard', while an up-and coming Houston team (that laid the wood to the 'boys starters to the tune of 21-6) gets criticized because 'it's just preseason' and 'the game only mattered to them'. WTF??? I find it funny that the game really mattered to us when your starters played an entire 2 series longer than ours. Yeah, but we 'wanted it more'...keep telling yourself that.

And please stop with the whole Houstonian inferiority complex...you guys are the ones that always throw the "5 SB rings" into the discussion, as if the entire world swoons at the thought. Get over yourselves, you've won as many division titles, playoff games, and superbowls in the last 5 years as the Texans. And no, Houston doesn't consider a preseason game vs. the cowpokes the 'biggest game of the year'. You aren't that important.

Oh, and don't try to spin the whole "it's a rivalry for them, but not for us" card. As of last night, the Texans have a 3-1 record against your 'boys. 1-1 in the reg. season, and 2-0 in the preseason. When you guys live up to your end of the bargain (making the series competitive) then we'll call it a rivalry. Until then, go lick your wounds, make your excuses, and enjoy the humble-pie Houston delivered to your doorstep.

Signed,

An 'inferior Texans fan'

2BCF
08-27-2007, 12:39 AM
Nice job, TR!!

YellerLotYeller
08-27-2007, 12:54 AM
Great post revolution...me thinks you'll have rep power soon!

Texan_Bill
08-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Funny thing is cowgurls fans talk about this not being a rivalry game yet their announcers on the NFLN called it a rivalry game a couple of times. SO which is it???

Ah yes, keep it vague and non-commital for the sake of convenience... Scenario:
Cowgurls win: "The cowgurls are SB bound while continuing its pre-season dominance, beating up our little neighbor to the South..."
Cowgurls lose: "It's just a preseason game. We were not trying. We did not game plan. They were up for us, because this their SB... " Que up the baby crying.

Typical... Have some sack - cowgurls!!

(Those who have the NFLN know that their re-broadcasts will have the home teams announcers the first half and the visiting teams announcers the second half... They aired the game at 10:00 am Sunday)

hobie
08-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Is there any other rational explanation for why 70,512 the largest preseason crowd in the history of professional football in Houston -----

That was paid attendance, there was no where near that inside, but there was a larger crowd than normal though. And from what I saw, there was plenty of Cowboys fans there, so it is just as important to the Dallas people as it is our own local fans..

Call it what you want, they got outplayed Saturday night, plain and simple.

Twitch-Houston
08-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Is there any other rational explanation for why 70,512 – the largest preseason crowd in the history of professional football in Houston -----

That was paid attendance, there was no where near that inside, but there was a larger crowd than normal though. And from what I saw, there was plenty of Cowboys fans there, so it is just as important to the Dallas people as it is our own local fans..

Call it what you want, they got outplayed Saturday night, plain and simple.

Our tickets were on the Cowboy's side and the Cowboy fans were certainly acting like they cared. Well, except the two Romo groupies that came and sat next to me. All they cared about was texting their friends on which Cowboy player was cute or not.

Almost had a fight break out as well between some Texans fans and some "I don't care about this game" Cowboy fans. You don't get that worked up about a game you supposedly don't care about.

Since we were only 3 rows behind the Cowboy bench, you could see the wind come out of their sails after Jacoby's run back. Romo was definitely down after his interception. I never got the feeling from the Cowboy players that they weren't trying. When something went wrong they were pissed, when something went right they celebrated.

It sure was fun to be on the winning side while surrounded by the enemy....ha ha We just started waving bye bye at the end to the shocked Cowboy fans.

TD
08-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Is there any other rational explanation for why 70,512 the largest preseason crowd in the history of professional football in Houston

Um...yes there is. Its what the Texans draw. The attendance for the Bears game was 70,060. :cowboy1:

hobie
08-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Um...yes there is. Its what the Texans draw. The attendance for the Bears game was 70,060. :cowboy1:

Well that is PAID attendance....actual butts in seats and paid attendance harldy ever match up, and there was no way there was that many for the Bears game...but regardless, $$ is in the owners hand !

V3rm0nt3r
08-27-2007, 03:12 PM

It's nice to know that people are starting to turn back to Houston for football.

texasguy346
08-27-2007, 03:21 PM

That's alright, when we start winning all those guys will swear they had the Texans going 10-6. :texflag:

Jacoby Jones' 91 yd punt return was top play number 2 from week three of the preseason on Sportscenter.

Joe Texan
08-27-2007, 03:39 PM
I look at people waving around 19-10 signs and I cringe inside because all it does is look weak and pointless.

I get goose bumps when i see and say it, It just happens to be the first game ever played by the Houston Texans and we did it against a five ring team ha ha ha ha. It also happens to be forever etched into the Texans Plack at the Hall of fame which reads something like this:

On September the 8th, 2002 The Houston Texans beat the Dallas Cowboys 19 to 10 in their inagural game in the NFL.

TD
08-27-2007, 03:44 PM
On September the 8th, 2002 The Houston Texans beat the Dallas Cowboys 19 to 10 in their inagural game in the NFL.

Yeah, but that game wasn't important to Dallas.

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/2002/0819_large.jpg

Texan_Bill
08-27-2007, 03:47 PM
LMAO:

"We've got to win that game"
-Darren Woodson

Double Barrel
08-27-2007, 03:53 PM
There's no team Houston would rather beat than Dallas. That's why there was playoff-type intensity in Reliant Stadium.

I'd rather beat the Titans.

If he considers that to be playoff-type intensity, then he should come down to hear/see Reliant when it really is playoff time!!

Is there any other rational explanation for why 70,512 – the largest preseason crowd in the history of professional football in Houston – watched the game? Does the Governor's Cup really mean that much?

Like mentioned, paid attendance. I'd say the actual number was around 50,000-55,000, IMO.

The Guvna's Cup...hmmmm....I guess that give a meaningless pre-season game some meaning, 'eh? idonno:

It put a stop to all that 19-10 crap.

They can never take away the first game in franchise history, tho'. :texflag: :cowboy1:

eriadoc
08-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Regarding the attendance numbers - they are reported the same every game. They only report paid attendance; never actual attendance. So the 70,060 number for the Bears game is a relevant number.

As for the paid attendance number itself, the Cowboy fans bought tickets and pumped up the attendance numbers as well. I'd estimate at least 10% of the crowd was wearing Cowboy gear and hanging their head at halftime.

Texan_Bill
08-27-2007, 04:09 PM
The best I can tell is that it was the 52nd consecutive sellout..

Seor Stan
08-27-2007, 04:35 PM
The Guvna's Cup...hmmmm....I guess that gives a meaningless game some meaning, 'eh? idonno:

Sincerely,

The Silver Boot.

Errant Hothy
08-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Then what, they'll freeze half to death and still play poor football? :texflag:

No, December is when Cowboy QB's blow the game by muffing the hold on a chip shot FG.

TexanRevolution
08-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Here's the reply from the illustrious Mr. Taylor;

"follow the broncos and leave me alone"

Um...who said anything about me following the Broncos???

Would it be too much to ask for these guys to actually read an e-mail. Crap, no wonder they can't write anything intelligible (much less provide any depth of analysis).

Thorn
08-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Even since I can remember being a football fan, Ive had to live with Cowboy fans in Houston sneering at me and my Oiler and Texan love. Ive learned to hate the Cowboys, not because of any silly inter-state rivalry, but because of the crap Ive taken over the years from stuck up inane, boorish and rude Cowboy fans. I do not have these feelings about other Dallas teams. I could care less what happens between Houston and Dallas when it comes to baseball or basketball.

When it comes to the Cowgirls, however, there is much personal resentment for the reason Ive stated above. I hate the Cowgirls, always will. I will root against them in any game, pre-season or super bowl. As much as I love to root against Indy, I would bow before the alter of Manning any day of the week if hes playing Dallas.

The Dallas Cowgirls and their fans can all kiss my ass. http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Leahmic223
08-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Even since I can remember being a football fan, Ive had to live with Cowboy fans in Houston sneering at me and my Oiler and Texan love. Ive learned to hate the Cowboys, not because of any silly inter-state rivalry, but because of the crap Ive taken over the years from stuck up inane, boorish and rude Cowboy fans. I do not have these feelings about other Dallas teams. I could care less what happens between Houston and Dallas when it comes to baseball or basketball.

When it comes to the Cowgirls, however, there is much personal resentment for the reason Ive stated above. I hate the Cowgirls, always will. I will root against them in any game, pre-season or super bowl. As much as I love to root against Indy, I would bow before the alter of Manning any day of the week if hes playing Dallas.

The Dallas Cowgirls and their fans can all kiss my ass. http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I think it might be bad to root for Manning though when he plays the cowgirls though. Because if they win it just makes it harder for us to win our division.

So I do root for the Cowgirls when they are up against the other inferior teams in the AFC South(They will be inferior this year baby :texflag: ) Because it just makes things easier for us.