PDA

View Full Version : Talk Smack about Mario more often..

Koolaid Time
08-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Maybe all the garbage printed in the "Comical" and smack ranted on Houston Sports Radio about Mario this week inspired him to Kick A and take names tonight.....

The guy has been playing great all night. I hope we will be seeing more of this in the future..

rmartin65
08-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Or he is on the left side, and he is better suited for that.

Koolaid Time
08-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Or he is on the left side, and he is better suited for that.

Maybw that as well.. But the radio says he is all over the place tonight.

Fox
08-25-2007, 09:55 PM
He played well. He put pressure on the QB, stood up against the run, showed some speed of the edge... I liked his performance. I also saw him get pushed to the ground on occasion, but he's not going to look like a stud every play. Every player has some good plays and some bad plays, if you just nit pick on his bad plays you're going to develop a pretty bad and biased impression. What he needs is experience and good coaching to reduce the bad plays and make him more consistent.

I thought he looked real good as our LE as well, he's more natural there IMO.

J-Russ
08-25-2007, 09:58 PM
he should've had about 3 sacks this game. Showed good pressure and played with alot more effort today. I say we should keep him on the left and let Babin play on the right.

V3rm0nt3r
08-25-2007, 10:02 PM
he should've had about 3 sacks this game. Showed good pressure and played with alot more effort today. I say we should keep him on the left and let Babin play on the right.

than what with Weaver?

Inside with Okoye?

edo783
08-25-2007, 10:04 PM
I say we should keep him on the left and let Babin play on the right.

Right now, that looks like the right mix. Mario seems much more comfortable on the left side and he seems to plays pretty darn well there.

Leahmic223
08-25-2007, 10:07 PM
My only knock is he needs to tackle better, he left about 3 sacks out on the field, and both he missed by just inches....eh at least the pressure and intensity was there, definitely looked like a different guy though and much improved.

HotRodsHair
08-25-2007, 10:11 PM
One thing Mario should be given credit for is his effort chasing plays. He is in on tons of tackles away from his side and is often one of the first guys to the ball five or ten yards beyond the line. One one play in particular during the last Dallas drive of the first half I watched him speed rush five yards behind Romo only to catch the receiver of a five yard pass at the point of the tackle moments later. He has incredible speed.

And am I mistaken, or did Okoye get a sack on the last play of the first half?

J-Russ
08-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Okoye pressured Romo but he evaded him, Anderson finished Romo and got the credit.

I thought Mario should've got half a sack on the sack from Orr.

Busa_Bill
08-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Mario = much improved. No question he was giving it 100% tonight.

Wish he would have taken a good shot at Romo when he fumbled instead of slinging him to the ground. I want to see him take somebody's head off!

CloakNNNdagger
08-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Got back from Reliant..............Mario looked much better with pressure, but was always going wide outside. He was playing both right and left end almost equally and as usual looked a little stronger against the run which came to that side or center. While on the left side he was using his hands like a cat pawing ultra fast at some hanging catnip. this almost slapping motion was performed against the left tackle's chest..............what's with that maneuver?.........All-in-all, there was some fire detectable.

HotRodsHair
08-25-2007, 10:40 PM
He, and the rest of the DL, looked very stout against the run. This could be a pretty impressive D. Stuffing the run is job 1 of any defense.

Marcus
08-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Mario Williams is going to do nothing but get better . . . and better . . . and better.

Amobi Okoye is going to do nothing but get better . . . and better . . . and better.

I saw flashes tonight. As long as I continue to see those flashes, I'm happy. It's gonna be fun to watch.

Ryan
08-25-2007, 11:10 PM
just got back from the game...i am as optimistic as humanly possible right now:fans:

real
08-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Very impressed with Mario tonight...Saw some really good things from him out there...really good...

Especially on the left side...

Marcus
08-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Very impressed with Mario tonight...Saw some really good things from him out there...really good...

They must have been listening to ya, xtru. ;)

Hagar
08-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Player____________TKL SO AS FF FR
M WILLIAMS________4__2__2__0_0

Turn about is fair play. Mario looked good tonight as did the rest of the team. They keep this up and I'm going to have to rethink my 8 - 8 prediction for this season.

Since Mario did so well on the left side and since Babin is having such a nice preseason, our front D-line may change to Mario, Maddox, Okoya, Babin.

eriadoc
08-26-2007, 12:47 AM
Travis Johnson had a heck of a game tonight, too, so you might want to find a spot in the front four for him as well.

gg no re
08-26-2007, 12:52 AM
TJ needs to stop losing his helmet though

Unless he's using it like those Xena chakram thingies

HJam72
08-26-2007, 02:18 AM
Williams, Johnson, Maddox, Okoye, Babin :)

Clark Ryans

TRY AND RUN NOW!

Do we really need Greenwood, when we could do this? :)

I'm just kidding, of course. We don't have the secondary for it.

mexican_texan
08-26-2007, 02:29 AM
I didn't catch the game, but I recall Mario having his best games on the strong side.

gjmac2
08-26-2007, 08:34 AM

X,

Your post earlier this week was right on the money. He is, and should remain, the LE on this defense. He just looks more comfortable playing that way, more aggressive and less tentative.

Just my .02

BattleRedToro
08-26-2007, 09:30 AM
X,

Your post earlier this week was right on the money. He is, and should remain, the LE on this defense. He just looks more comfortable playing that way, more aggressive and less tentative.

Just my .02

I thought that his earlier poor performances might be due to his lack of familiarity and comfortability with playing RDE. That was why I started a thread to analyze what position Mario Williams was lined up in last year on the plays that he had the most success.

On a few plays, I think I saw Shantee Orr lined up as RDE with the first unit, or was he just lined up as the WLB blitzing, with Mario at LDE. It seemed to create havoc in the back field. I hope to see the 4 Firsts front that Xtru and others, including myself, have been asking for, on Thursday.

CloakNNNdagger
08-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Got back from Reliant..............Mario looked much better with pressure, but was always going wide outside. He was playing both right and left end almost equally and as usual looked a little stronger against the run which came to that side or center. While on the left side he was using his hands like a cat pawing ultra fast at some hanging catnip. this almost slapping motion was performed against the left tackle's chest..............what's with that maneuver?.........All-in-all, there was some fire detectable.

Could someone, if you didn't see it during the game, please review Mario film on the right side and please explain to me was was with those maneuvers?

Leahmic223
08-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Could someone, if you didn't see it during the game, please review Mario film on the right side and please explain to me was was with those maneuvers?

I saw it.

One thing I noticed is that at the start it seemed like he was running away from the tackle to get space. Because usually he used to get locked up and then he'd be useless on the play.

So from what I seen when he had his space he did that 'clawing' I am not sure if he did it on purpose, but I think once he had the space he could use his speed and I saw it as sorta 'Juking' the tackle. I'd have to see the game again though. I think it is coming on again on NFL TV in about 15 minutes.

HJam72
08-26-2007, 09:41 AM
I don't get to watch all the games, but I'm gonna go ahead and just give my opinion on this position situation with Mario. I don't think he has a fast enough first step to have much success rushing the passer from the weak side. He's fast enough, but I don't think he's quick enough for it. I've seen him go like he was going to try to do it, sort of get beat to the outside (or at least not win the quickness battle well enough), and then go way back inside and head for the noseguard/center area like he thought there'd been a hand off or something. Any player knows you don't actually have time to do all that and still get to the QB in one play.

The good news is that Mario is even stronger than we probably thought when he was drafted. He might get to the QB as much from the strong side as we hoped he would from the weak side, and that frees up somebody else to do that weak side edge-rushing.

dskillz
08-26-2007, 09:44 AM
I saw the effort there tonight, maybe the smack talk all week did help. For all the calling out the media did all week, I am sure the coaches did alot more in practice.

I think the one thing that is missing with Mario is technique. That is something that is going have to develop. A spin move, a swim move, a feint move all would help him as he is strong and fast already.

V3rm0nt3r
08-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Williams, Johnson, Maddox, Okoye, Babin :)

So is Weaver in the picture right now or is he just makeing millions riding the bench?

real
08-26-2007, 04:57 PM

I'm going to review the film and do a write up about every position and try to get actual times so people can go back and look at it if they want to...

I saw what you were talking about and that wasn't really any specific technique...he was just trying to keep the offensive linemans hands busy, and off of him...

Mr. White
08-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Is it safe to say yet that Mario's picking up some technique?