PDA

View Full Version : The Texans (Schaub's Family)

CloakNNNdagger
08-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Schaub could have been Atlanta's starting quarterback.........Any regrets? The Star-Telegram reports: (http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/212378.html)

Matt Schaub has played two exhibition games as the starting quarterback for the Houston Texans. Not once has he played the "what if" game.............................................. .................................................. .

"I'm incredibly excited about this opportunity here in Houston and being part of this organization, so that thought [of being the starting quarterback in Atlanta] has not even entered into my mind," Schaub said...........................

The Texans have applauded Schaub's work ethic, leadership and passion for the game, qualities they rarely, if ever, saw in Carr.

"It is different," Texans owner Bob McNair said. "David was wonderful in many ways, and one of them was he was such a solid family man. But on the other hand, he spent so much time with his family that some of his teammates felt like he should have been spending more time with them. In the case of Matt, no one has any second thoughts about his commitment to the team and him viewing the team as his family. He's here, and he's leading by example.

"He's a solid guy, and I think he's just going to keep getting better and better. His teammates like him, and they have confidence in him, and I think it really shows up when you get down to the clutch situations. I think Matt is going to perform well under pressure."

Grams
08-25-2007, 08:38 AM
So do I.

Schaub looks like a QB.

Now I have never played football, but I sure have watched a lot, more than a lot, as I remember watching YA Tittle playing with the Giants.

There are just some QB's that when they step on the field, or in the huddle, have something different. Hard to say exactly what, but a presence, the look in their eyes, the command over the field, just the way they handle themselves, their body language. Combination of all.

I am not comparing the two, but it's like watching Joe Montana with 2 minutes left and coming onto the field needing to score. You could tell by lookling at him, they he believed that he could do it and the rest of the team around him believed that if he tought he could do it, so did they.

Schaub has this.

I am not saying he will be a HOF player, or be as good as Peyton or Brady, etc. But I do think he is our key to a winning season(S).

Second Honeymoon
08-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Schaub could have been Atlanta's starting quarterback.........Any regrets? The Star-Telegram reports: (http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/212378.html)

that quote from McNair was Newspeak for 'David didn't put in enough time to be successful. He was a clockpuncher and never was committed like Schaub is.'

HotRodsHair
08-25-2007, 10:54 AM
that quote from McNair was Newspeak for 'David didn't put in enough time to be successful. He was a clockpuncher and never was committed like Schaub is.'

Bingo. That's how I read it as well. I think he was trying to make sure he didn't diss Carr too overtly, but it's obvious he feels Schaub is more dedicated.

ObsiWan
08-25-2007, 10:58 AM
I never thought I'd see the day....

...ever.

CloakNNNdagger
08-25-2007, 11:22 AM

Exactly...........No one tells an NFL QB to ignore his family responsibilities........only to not ignore his team responsibilities that afford him a comfortable family life. Carr never had a problem with taking his millions home......exactly at 5 pm.

TexansCM
08-25-2007, 11:59 AM
I think David somewhat put the cart before the horse. He was married and had a kid with another on the way IIRC before he was even drafted. Most guys are all football and having a good time going out with the boys at his age. Much like Schaub was coming into the league. Now Schaub is going to get married, but his girlfriend is already accustomed to the way he works. Carr's wife was not and she probably was cracking the whip to get him home.

sakebomb
08-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Hell has frozen over. I never thought I would hear a statement like that from McNair. I like it.

Mr. White
08-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Seems like this has been a sharp point for debate even after local reporters and radio hosts have said as much numerous times. Then the national media picked up on it.

The main defense was "you can't believe everything you read."

Now, I'm just waiting for someone to say that McNair was misquoted. Maybe this quote was from Bizarro Bob McNair.