PDA

View Full Version : Which will be better, offense or defense?

TexanSam
08-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Which unit as a whole do you think will have a better year this season, the offense or the defense?

While I think our offense is going to improve this year, I think it will be the defense that is the best. We had a top 10 defense from week 4 to the end of the season last year and I think we'll only get better. If Mario Williams elevates his game and if our safeties can perform just a little better, I think we may have one of the top 8-9 defensive teams in the league.

HotRodsHair
08-24-2007, 08:16 PM
I have yet to see the offense show signs of being a real juggerknot, but the defense has shown some glimpses of being a pretty solid unit. The added speed and depth at the LB spot along with a resurgent Travis Johnson and newcommer Okoye on the line should yield greater defense as the season progresses. We really haven't seen what Shaub and Ahman can do yet, so it's really too early to say the offense. But if Green and Shaub live up to the hype this could be a pretty solid offense.

kiwitexansfan
08-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Offense.

The line has had another year to gel in the new scheme, Schaub brings a pocket presence and field vision previous lacking, Green/Dayne are productive duo, and the receiver corps is the best it has ever been.

I think if the D shows improvement this year it will be because the Offense if winning the time of possesion battle.

4Texans
08-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Offense.

The line has had another year to gel in the new scheme, Schaub brings a pocket presence and field vision previous lacking, Green/Dayne are productive duo, and the receiver corps is the best it has ever been.

I think if the D shows improvement this year it will be because the Offense if winning the time of possesion battle.

Well said! I think the O will show the biggest improvement, but I think the D will rank higher.

Double Barrel
08-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Defense...as long as our line shows up. This is Richard Smith's second year, we were getting better as the season progressed last year, and we've got some solid talent in key positions.

I think our offense will look good over time, as well, but we have a lot of new players and it usually takes a little time to find it's groove.

Ryan
08-24-2007, 11:09 PM
we will never know the answer to this until the end of the season. There are too many "if's" on both sides to determine which side of the ball will perform better.

YoungTexanFan
08-24-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm actually going with the offense looking better. I think that our line is coming together. While we still don't have a LT, even if Spencer comes back, I think Schaub will be able to mask that to a degree instead of acsentuate it like Carr. I think Studdard will be a very solid presence to our line, and we have a stable of RB's to chose from. I think we have a very solid WR core and a very solid TE or two.

Our defense concerns me a lot. We have potential in a lot of spots, but it just doesn't seem to be ready now to me. Mario is still a project, and I accept that, but he will be expected to produce more than he has indicated he will to this point. I expect virtually nothing from Okoye this season, and unsurprisingly, he has show just that in preseason. I've never like Faggins period, mostly because he sucks. I haven't cared for D-Rob as a CB in about a season and a half. D-Rob has not shown an ability to cover his man or prevent the catch. He has not made many plays on the ball in the air, and frankly, I do not consider him an NFL cover CB anymore. He is just an undersized SS to me now. This is not good for our team. Our LB core is actually fairly solid with Meco and Clark. We have seen some positives out of other players as well in the pre-season. Our D-line has shown us nothing, period, but I expect them to be about NFL average or a little below as we get rolling.

Basicly, there are far too many questions on defense to say that they will be better production wise than our offense. Our offense has a lot of positions settled, and a lot of very good depth. We just don't have that on defense.

Vinny
08-24-2007, 11:12 PM
offense...easily. The defense is going to dissapoint us this year...at least thats what I see early on.

YellerLotYeller
08-25-2007, 02:20 AM
Just on what we saw last year, I have to go with defense. I just hope we are pleasantly surprised by the offense.

ObsiWan
08-25-2007, 05:21 AM
I would vote special teams. That's were the best coaching and the most weapons reside.

But since that's not one of the options, I'll abstain.

TexansSeminole
08-25-2007, 05:31 AM
The offense will be better.

Our secondary is pretty bad and it will show this year. I've already seen C.C. Brown make 2 critical mistakes in the preseason and our best safety in Glenn Earl is out for the year. Some individual guys may make some strides in the secondary but overall it looks like the secondary will play pourly this season.

nunusguy
08-25-2007, 07:27 AM
Over 70 % of those participating in this poll to this point say the offense,
which really surprises me. I'm sure I dunno which unit will perform better,
but the Texans organization clearly has made the biggest investment in the
DLine which of course is considered the key to overall defensive performance,
so looks like these fans are going thumbs down on the Texans success in
drafting.

The1ApplePie
08-25-2007, 09:51 AM
I'd say offense

No matter how you improve the front 7, the secondary is still Dunta, a blind guy, and a couple of cripples.

Vinny
08-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Over 70 % of those participating in this poll to this point say the offense,
which really surprises me. I'm sure I dunno which unit will perform better,
but the Texans organization clearly has made the biggest investment in the
DLine which of course is considered the key to overall defensive performance,
so looks like these fans are going thumbs down on the Texans success in
drafting.
probably because our front 7 consists of DeMeco and the Pampers brigade. In two games Williams doesn't look ready, and he said that he has to reinvent his game already after two preseason games (not a good sign), and Okoye looks....well, like a teenager playing with Men. The only real force in the front 7 is DeMeco Ryans....and our secondary has one NFL caliber starter on it. You are still feeling that Pollyanna camp feel good stuff about how awesome our defense looks when there is no live hitting going on in camp. Frankly I hope I'd dead wrong about the defense letting us down this season. Got the ol' fingers crossed.

Lucky
08-25-2007, 10:50 AM
I never walked out of a Texan practice this summer thinking the offense was ahead of the defense. With all of the offseason improvements the Texans made, maybe they should be. But other than this past preseason against a very weak Cardinal defense, I haven't seen it.

Certainly, the Texans defense has holes. But, they also have a lot of talent. And a guy who I think will be one of the best players in the league leads them. Some guys make the players around them better. Or at least make up for their mistakes. DeMeco Ryans is one of those players. When I look at how much Ryans and the rest of the defense improved over the course of the season, how can anyone say that improvement won't continue? After watching a half of a preseason game?

Guys like Okoye, Clark, Fletcher, and Barber will be better than the guys they've replaced. Contary to popular opinion, I'm certain that Mario will get better. So will Babin & Travis Johnson. And Dunta is playing the best ball of his career. Ask Andre Johnson.

Matt Schaub has made a difference in the offense's attitude, no question. Ahman Green is a legit NFL lead back. The offensive line looks confident for the first time in team history. And who knows how far an emerging talent like Jacoby Jones can reach in his rookie season. But side by side, the Texans defense has more talent. Eventually, talent rises to the top. While I expect major improvement from the offense this season, if the Texans are to win this year (yes, I said win), it will be because of the defense.