PDA

View Full Version : Team speed

TheRealJoker
08-23-2007, 03:53 PM
This is where I think we've improved the most this offseason. Our team speed, particularly at WR is way better than it was at this time last year.

AJ/JJ/JM/AD/BJ...WOW!!!

real
08-23-2007, 03:56 PM
I don't know if BJ makes it.

TheRealJoker
08-23-2007, 04:01 PM

Me neither, I was just posting him as an example of our overall speed at the position. This time last year the only WR we had was AJ because Mathis was hurt. Now we've got potentially 4 more guys with comparable speed to AJ.

mexican_texan
08-23-2007, 04:03 PM
I doubt it.

Shaft75
08-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Man would I love to see the Texans spread the field with these guys. Install a no-huddle for Schaub, and let two guys streth the seam and bring Owen and Andre underneath. We should be able to make some plays!

:throwball:

Double Barrel
08-23-2007, 04:33 PM
The no-huddle that the Bills used to use with Jim Kelly just killed teams. Defenses had no time to adjust or substitute personnel, and it was just brutal to watch you team try to deal with it.

I'd love to see us with some kind of option to use that, especially if we went three WR sets like the Bills 'red gun' offense would use. They'd still have a TE, so the run was still a threat (especially with Thurman Thomas back there), but could easily use the TE and HB in passing plays, as well.

kiwitexansfan
08-23-2007, 04:36 PM
WR has a lot of speed but on the defensive side of the ball we are still pretty slow in the backfield.

Sorry to rain on the party but we may need to score a lot of points to make up for the big plays they may give up.

Twitch-Houston
08-23-2007, 04:39 PM
The no-huddle that the Bills used to use with Jim Kelly just killed teams. Defenses had no time to adjust or substitute personnel, and it was just brutal to watch you team try to deal with it.

I'd love to see us with some kind of option to use that, especially if we went three WR sets like the Bills 'red gun' offense would use. They'd still have a TE, so the run was still a threat (especially with Thurman Thomas back there), but could easily use the TE and HB in passing plays, as well.

Everytime the Colts go into no huddle they are hard to stop as well. I never understood why they didn't do it even more instead a doing it in the typical spots.

No huddle would be awesome. Keep the action moving as well. With our receivers life would be hell for defenses.

ObsiWan
08-23-2007, 06:15 PM
1. Johnson, A.
2. Walter, K.
3. Jones, J.
4. Mathis, J.
5. Davis, A.

6. Pick from:
McCardell
Johnson, B.
Adams, C.
Anderson, D.,
Williams, H.;

My money is on McCardell although I'd rather have the speed of Bethel....

real
08-23-2007, 06:19 PM
David Anderson.

HotRodsHair
08-23-2007, 06:38 PM
WR has a lot of speed but on the defensive side of the ball we are still pretty slow in the backfield.

Sorry to rain on the party but we may need to score a lot of points to make up for the big plays they may give up.

In the preseason so far the passing defense has looked very poor, giving up 280 yards per game through the air (30th overall) despite playing two teams who are not really known for having potent passing offenses. The rush D has been decent, at less than 100 yards per game.

However, the scoring has been pretty good and the Texans are averaging 26 points per game which is third in the preseason. (I know, it's just the preseason.) The scoring D is holding at 20 points per game.

A six point differential, if carried into the season, would bode well for this team. To put it in perspective, they gave up 23 and only scored 16 per game during the last season.

kiwitexansfan
08-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Nice break down hotrod.

Lets hope we hold that over into the regular season....

Random question time: Have the Texans ever scored more points than they have conceded??

YoungTexanFan
08-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Random question time: Have the Texans ever scored more points than they have conceded??

Everytime we win. Yes.

Line_Producer
08-23-2007, 07:16 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say just about everytime they won ;).

I really hope I misunderstood the question.

*damn. He beat me to it.*

The Pencil Neck
08-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Nice break down hotrod.

Last preseason.

HotRodsHair
08-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Nice break down hotrod.

I'm going to assume you are referring to the season averages, so I looked at the previous best season (2004) and found they surrendered 21.2 while scoring 19.3, a breakdown of -2. That's really not that bad. To put it in perspective Indianapolis had a regular season split of +4.

Double Barrel
08-23-2007, 07:32 PM
The highest we've ever scored is 31 in regular season and 33 in pre-season.

HotRodsHair
08-23-2007, 07:45 PM
The highest we've ever scored is 31 in regular season and 33 in pre-season.

That 33 was the last game, and one thing we need to note is only seven of them came from a TD by a kick returner and none were scored by the D. That's an impressive offensive production. However, I must also concede that the special teams returners should be credited with getting the field position needed for many of those points.

The point I'm trying to make (albiet poorly) is this was no @ three rivers defensive scoring fluke. This team is showing to be capable of puting up scores.

kiwitexansfan
08-23-2007, 09:23 PM
I think our offense is taking the next step this year, I would be dissappointed if we didn't at least much the 2004 production.

I would rep your work Hotrod but my work won't let me in.

Porky
08-23-2007, 09:51 PM
In the preseason so far the passing defense has looked very poor, giving up 280 yards per game through the air (30th overall) despite playing two teams who are not really known for having potent passing offenses. The rush D has been decent, at less than 100 yards per game.

However, the scoring has been pretty good and the Texans are averaging 26 points per game which is third in the preseason. (I know, it's just the preseason.) The scoring D is holding at 20 points per game.

A six point differential, if carried into the season, would bode well for this team. To put it in perspective, they gave up 23 and only scored 16 per game during the last season.

The Cardinals aren't known for having a potent passing offense?

Ok. :gun:

HotRodsHair
08-23-2007, 10:35 PM
The Cardinals aren't known for having a potent passing offense?

Ok. :gun:

That's what I get for writing without taking the time to do my homework. Arizona is indeed a potent passing offense. My bad.

Good work catching that.

Porky
08-23-2007, 10:37 PM
That's what I get for writing without taking the time to do my homework. Arizona is indeed a potent passing offense. My bad.

Good work catching that.

No prob. Was just kinda wondering about that statement!