PDA

View Full Version : Texans will beat the Chiefs and here is why:

TheRealJoker
08-23-2007, 12:51 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d801adf58&template=with-video&confirm=true

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- His 25-day holdout made Larry Johnson the most highly paid player in Kansas City Chiefs history. The Pro Bowl running back is not sure, however, if it will make him ready for a full role in the season opener.

Asked Wednesday if he thought he'd be 100 percent ready by Sept. 9 when the Chiefs open at Houston, Johnson said, "No, it'll take a little bit more than that."

:doot:

Kaiser Toro
08-23-2007, 12:54 AM
I agree, if we can get a couple of doots on our side, we will walk away with a win. :doot: :doot:

TexanSam
08-23-2007, 12:56 AM
Does this mean he'll rush for only 100 yards instead of 150? Regardless, I still like our chances even if he was 100%. Damon Huard or Brodie Croyle starting doesn't exactly strike fear in opposing defenses. And KC's offensive line is depleted with the loss/retirement of some of their old mainstays.

DBCooper
08-23-2007, 01:00 AM
Does this mean he'll rush for only 100 yards instead of 150? Regardless, I still like our chances even if he was 100%. Damon Huard or Brodie Croyle starting doesn't exactly strike fear in opposing defenses. And KC's offensive line is depleted with the loss/retirement of some of their old mainstays.

Yeah, but they also lost Black, that should make them better..............

TheRealJoker
08-23-2007, 01:04 AM
Their best defensive player isn't playing either...and if we get Wesley im sure we'll interrogate him to find out their defensive gameplans just like the Bills did to Lawyer Milloy before they annihilated the Patriots on opening day a few years back.

AZwhoopr
08-23-2007, 01:08 AM
Ha if they don't have LJ for the game vs. us I have no doubt in my mind that we'll win this one lol. LJ is a crucial part of their offense. Especially since they're QB status isn't exactly the best in the league. I'd be much prouder of our team if we beat em with LJ playing though. That'd pump me up!:whip:

EDIT: Misread thinking that it said he might not play. Oh well lol.

Texanmike02
08-23-2007, 01:26 AM
Larry Johnson at "not quite full strength" > our running backs... so I'm hoping you're not suggesting that we're going to win based on comparing the running games.

Mike

Goldensilence
08-23-2007, 01:29 AM
I actually think the absense in TC will help keep him fresh. Historically after a 400+ carry season RB's are depleted. It'd be a BIG bonus if they can get Priest Holmes back this year.

KC needs to bite the bullet and Herm Edwards needs to say it. REBUILDING. I jsut don't see them havinga big year unless someone in that WR corps steps up and they somehow manage to plug the holes left by retirement in the OL and McIntosh's injury. Doesn't help Jared Allen is suspended upfront on the DL for 4 games.

JohnsonFan
08-23-2007, 02:13 AM
i dunno LJ is good nothing we can do about it he can be at 80 percent and run ppl over or at 100 and run ppl over

kiwitexansfan
08-23-2007, 02:20 AM
I don' think LJ being 85% fit is going to make much difference, he knows the system already and they have ok RB depth to give him a breather.

Bigger issues for them are QB inexperience, OL depth and talent, and continued defense inadequacies plus Herm Edwards quetionable game management.

I am confident that we win this one.

:fans:

PapaL
08-23-2007, 07:12 AM
Even if LJ do not play, Priest Holmes and Michael Bennett combined could more than make up.

sakebomb
08-23-2007, 07:53 AM
just like the Bills did to Lawyer Milloy before they annihilated the Patriots on opening day a few years back.

I would rather end up like the Pats in that scenario. Didn't they go on to win the Super Bowl?

nfl-brit
08-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Larry Johnson at "not quite full strength" > our running backs... so I'm hoping you're not suggesting that we're going to win based on comparing the running games.

Mike

Sadly, I must agree with Mike. LJ can threaten at less than 100%. And with their dreadful options at QB, you know he'll have the rock all night long!

At least our LBs will know who they're looking for at most of the snaps. To win, we'll have to force them to throw.

CloakNNNdagger
08-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Even if LJ do not play, Priest Holmes and Michael Bennett combined could more than make up.

Priest may not be there either, as his "return" is questionable. I would take for granted that LJ will be back in full force, and game plan to that end. Our DL has injuries that will undoubtedly compromise us on opening day, and the noninjured members for the most part have not shown what we would like to have seen thus far. All in all, we've been respectable with our run defense, but will it hold up with a motor like LJ? And if they manage to contain the KC run game with the concentration of players on or near the line, will the secondary hold up to even an occasional passing "surprise" (luck or otherwise) that KC's mediocre QB is bound to show them? Maybe, we'll get a better idea after the Girlies' game.

nunusguy
08-23-2007, 09:09 AM
I actually think the absense in TC will help keep him fresh. Historically after a 400+ carry season RB's are depleted.

Totally agree !

bigbrewster2000
08-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Sadly, I must agree with Mike. LJ can threaten at less than 100%. And with their dreadful options at QB, you know he'll have the rock all night long!

At least our LBs will know who they're looking for at most of the snaps. To win, we'll have to force them to throw.

Are their QB options dreadful? Huard looked good in his time last year, granted I haven't paid any attention to them this year but, I still have a hard time believing this game is going to be a walk over. No team in the NFL is. I guess I will be paying attention to the Cheifs game this week, Croyle will get the start.

Texans_Chick
08-23-2007, 09:43 AM

The Texans defense strikes fear in no one except for their fans.

Signed,
Mark Brunell
totally fierce quarterback

ObsiWan
08-23-2007, 10:02 AM

Signed,
Mark Brunell

That's cold, T_C.
:)

HoustonFrog
Plus it is Liberty White Day and everyone in the stands will be wearing white. How are they going to deal with that?:bat:

Although I was never sure if it worked at Miami Heat games.

Mr. White

Looks to me like Priest is a longshot to even make the team. I think he's in the same boat Dom Davis was in last year.

He can't get off the PUP list and is questionable for the regular season.

LJ's gonna play.

Insideop
08-23-2007, 10:26 AM
I don't want to sound all doom and gloom, but before we go "counting our chickens before they hatch," we need to realize that what looks like a win on paper, doesn't necessarily mean a win on the field. I have seen it too many times where a team that is supposed win (on paper), comes in and "lays a fat goose egg" so to speak. Remember the saying, "on any given Sunday," means just that!

Having said that, I think the key to the game (and season) will be long sustained offensive drives for us to keep their offense off the field. If we can do that, especially for the first 3 quarters, I think it will keep the defense rested enough so they don't have a collapse in the 4th quarter, like we've seen a number of times in the past. I know our defense should be pretty good this year, but I think they'll be alot better (fresher/sharper) if the offense can stay on the field longer and score more points (see football 101). JMHO! :texflag:

DBCooper
08-23-2007, 10:29 AM
I don't want to sound all doom and gloom, but before we go "counting our chickens before they hatch," we need to realize that what looks like a win on paper, doesn't necessarily mean a win on the field. I have seen it too many times where a team that is supposed win (on paper), comes in and "lays a fat goose egg" so to speak. Remember the saying, "on any given Sunday," means just that!

Having said that, I think the key to the game (and season) will be long sustained offensive drives for us to keep their offense off the field. If we can do that, especially for the first 3 quarters, I think it will keep the defense rested enough so they don't have a collapse in the 4th quarter, like we've seen a number of times in the past. I know our defense should be pretty good this year, but I think they'll be alot better (fresher/sharper) if the offense can stay on the field longer and score more points (see football 101). JMHO! :texflag:

Yep, just like everyone has a big fat W on the calendar when they see the Texans on there.

Not for long.

bayshorebevo
08-23-2007, 10:46 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/692/story/241793.html

Larry's going to do plenty of damage. Our defensive line that has been such a topic recently is going to get a workout against the run. Our offense will be getting their toes wet so it will be up to the defense to keep the scoring down.

badboy
08-23-2007, 10:57 AM
I thought Texans had done ok historically against "name" running backs?

Errant Hothy
08-23-2007, 11:01 AM

Signed,
Mark Brunell

Post of the day, at 9 am even!

ensign_lee
08-23-2007, 11:06 AM

I'm pretty sure in primetime vs. the Chiefs last time, LJ destroyed us...and destroyed us ridiculously

The Pencil Neck
08-23-2007, 11:08 AM

Uh... I can think of some name RB's that have ripped us to shreds.

Hookem Horns
08-23-2007, 11:33 AM
The other reason the Texans might beat the Chiefs is that the Texans are 1 -0 on opening day vs teams that have had their training camp as a reality show on HBO.

Texans Horror
08-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Shaun Alexander had a field day with the Texans, too. Of course, this was back in aught-five...

I've been getting extra Chiefs attention due to the HBO series. It looks to me like they are having quarterback trouble more than anything else. Not having Jared Allen will be a major impact to their defense, IMO. Like if the Texans lost Demeco or Dunta.

I think their offensive line has really improved. They brought in Turley (Hurley?), and he seems to be doing a good job. IIRC, there was a shot from their play-off game where I-65 was blown up by a Colts defender. Herm Edwards said they had gone a long way to fixing up that o-line. Is scares me that the same thing has been said of the Texans o-line, except that they hired the guy being blown up on that play.

Overall, I'd say the Texans have a 50/50 shot at them. The Chiefs will be without some of their biggest stars, and are rebuilding, as was stated earlier. Obstacles will be stopping Tony Gonzales, pass rush and winning turnovers, and runnign the ball well.

kiwitexansfan
08-23-2007, 04:27 PM
The other reason the Texans might beat the Chiefs is that the Texans are 1 -0 on opening day vs teams that have had their training camp as a reality show on HBO.

That there is some impressive train spotting. And we all no stats don't lie!! :doot:

Texans Horror
08-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Based on what I've heard about the Saints/Chiefs game, the odds sound better. Huard has had trouble getting going, and Croyle is very inconsistent. I am sure if he had Larry Johnson in the backfield, the mistakes would not be so obvious/common.

powerfuldragon
08-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Damon Huard or Brodie Croyle starting doesn't exactly strike fear in opposing defenses.

with our defensive backfield, i worry.

TexanSam
08-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Here's how the Texans will beat the Chiefs:

End of first quarter - Texans down 10-0
End of second quarter - Texans down 20-3

Halftime - TexanSam wins fan lotto, gets to be the emergency 54th player on the roster. Suits up immediately and is placed as the 7th WR going into the 3rd quarter

3rd quarter - Coach Kubiak decides TexanSam can play since he can't do much worse than any of our other wide receivers except AJ. TexanSam becomes Schaub's go to target, catches 12 balls for 150 yards and two TDs in one quarter. He also fills in for Jason Simmons at safety and intercepts two passes in the end zone.

End of 3rd quarter Chiefs 20, Texans 17

4th quarter - TexanSam is triple teamed and is unable to make big plays. Neither offense can do anything. Kris Brown injures hamstring on training bike, TexanSam immediately fills in as emergency kicker. TexanSam kicks NFL record 63 yard field goal to tie the game and send it to overtime.

Overtime - Texans win the toss and TexanSam returns the kick to the 50 yard line. TexanSam lines up at QB for a trick play and shows Van Pelt how it's done. He completes a 50 yard pass to himself to throw and catch the winning TD. Cheerleaders give me their phone numbers.

I can't wait!

powerfuldragon
08-24-2007, 03:34 PM
keep the dream alive.

mexican_texan
08-24-2007, 03:50 PM

Halftime - TexanSam wins fan lotto, gets to be the emergency 54th player on the roster. Suits up immediately and is placed as the 7th WR going into the 3rd quarter

3rd quarter - Coach Kubiak decides TexanSam can play since he can't do much worse than any of our other wide receivers except AJ. TexanSam becomes Schaub's go to target, catches 12 balls for 150 yards and two TDs in one quarter. He also fills in for Jason Simmons at safety and intercepts two passes in the end zone.

4th quarter - TexanSam is triple teamed and is unable to make big plays. Neither offense can do anything. Kris Brown injures hamstring on training bike, TexanSam immediately fills in as emergency kicker. TexanSam kicks NFL record 63 yard field goal to tie the game and send it to overtime.

Overtime - Texans win the toss and TexanSam returns the kick to the 50 yard line. TexanSam lines up at QB for a trick play and shows Van Pelt how it's done. He completes a 50 yard pass to himself to throw and catch the winning TD. Cheerleaders give me their phone numbers.

I can't wait!
:vinny:

PapaL
08-24-2007, 04:08 PM
M.Bennet is looking fairly good. (KC vs NO is on NFLN right now)

Errant Hothy
08-24-2007, 04:12 PM

I can't wait!

That's all you got. NO tackles, NO assists on tackles, NO sacks, NO forced fumbles, NO Fumble recoveries...dude you suck about as much as Mario

:sarcasm:

Allstar
08-25-2007, 05:21 PM
It seems Huard got the nod ahead of Brodie.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2991036

J-Russ
08-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Huard named Chiefs' starting QB

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Damon Huard, a career backup who played well in relief last season, was named starting quarterback Saturday for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Huard, 34, went 5-and-3 last season after Trent Green was injured in the season opener. He had been battling second-year quarterback Brodie Croyle for the job after Green was traded to Miami.

Croyle, 24, apparently played himself out of contention by throwing an interception in each of three preseason games. Huard, because of a sore calf muscle, did not play in the Chiefs preseason loss Thursday against the Saints.

The Chiefs regular season opener is Sept. 9 against the Texans in Houston.

link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d801ce1ed&template=with-video&confirm=true

Should we be scared? He hasn't looked too sharp in the pre-season, but with 8 starts last year, he threw for 1800+ yards with 11td and 1 int on 60% completion. Hope last year was a fluke.

Texans Horror
08-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Huard seems to still be shaking the rust off, as opposed to Brodie who is working towards his form. I'm not sure the Texans will be more threatened by one or the other.