PDA

View Full Version : NAACP official: Vick shouldn't be banned from NFL

Hookem Horns
08-22-2007, 11:32 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/08/22/vick/index.html

Why are these guys involved, especially when there is no issue of race in this case? This is an issue for PETA not the NAACP.

Khari
08-22-2007, 11:39 AM
They just made themselves look like morons. Vick should be suspended and I will not watch a game in which he plays.

Cjeremy635
08-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Quote from article:
"White also said he didn't understand the uproar over dogfighting, when hunting deer and other animals is perfectly acceptable."

In that case, I have no problem with them killing the dogs as long as they eat them. That's a rule that 99% of the "hunters" abide by. :nicedog:

Mr. White
08-22-2007, 11:44 AM
The same guy came out and made a similar statement a few weeks ago. Just another Vick fanboy trying to use his position as head of the Atlanta Chapter to inject race into the issue.

The national body of the NAACP still hasn't gotten involved to my knowledge.

Specnatz
08-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Each time the NAACP steps up into something like this Martin Luther King roles over in his grave. With as many things that happen in this country that they should be speaking out on they have to open their mouth and insert thy foot on this kind of crap.

Now that is just being out of touch with reality.

By the way if Mr White was caught dogfighting I wonder if he would keep his job.

awtysst
08-22-2007, 11:58 AM
You know, I honestly believe that if Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr knew what was happening with his organization he would roll over in his grave. There is still discrimination in this country that the NAACP should be looking at and working towards fixing. This is just an example of a person trying to create a name for himself, and he should be ashamed of his actions.

Texan_Bill
08-22-2007, 12:08 PM
White is an *****.... I love this gem:

"We feel that whatever the courts demand as a punishment for what he has done, once he has paid his debt to society, then he should be treated like any other person in the NFL," White said.

It should have read like this you moron:

"We feel that whatever the courts demand as a punishment for what he has done, once he has paid his debt to society, then he should be treated like any other person in the NFL that has pleaded guilty to a dog fighting felony which also included gambling," White said.

Duh...... I think thats what Roger Goddell is considering right now.

HoustonFrog
08-22-2007, 12:12 PM
This guy is a laughingstock. I was just reading about it on ESPN and these things floored me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2986382

Excuse #1 and Letting a Guy Off the Hook:

White said the Atlanta chapter supports Vick's decision to accept a plea bargain if it's in his best interest, but he questioned the credibility of Vick's co-defendants, saying an admission of guilt might be more about cutting losses than the truth.

"At this point, you're not looking at guilt or innocence," White said, referring to the possible harsher sentence Vick could have received had he taken his case to trial and been found guilty. "You're thinking, 'What I better do is cut my losses and take a plea.' But if he saw this as the best thing to do at this point for his future, then I think he made the correct choice."

And #2

"His crime is, it was a dog," White said.

Whatever moron

real
08-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Ok...This is D-u-m-b....

Vick SHOULD be banned from the NFL...

The fool committed a freaking felony...

No one else can commit a felony and expect to go back to their corporate job, or any kind of job for that matter....

Vick needs to find work where he can. The NFL doesn't have to do a damn thing.

Mr. White
08-22-2007, 12:15 PM
By the way if Mr White was caught dogfighting I wonder if he would keep his job.

If I were caught dogfighting, I would need lots of stitches and hospital time before I could go back to work.

Maybe a rabies shot.

Texan_Bill
08-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Mr. White, how can you make such asinine remarks?!?!!?!!?

Hookem Horns
08-22-2007, 12:24 PM
The NFL should ban this guy just to save some face with the image of the league. Just imagine the circus that is going to be in every visiting city that Vick plays in. There will probably be a protest in every city, outrageous signs everywhere, fans booing everytime he touches the ball, etc.

True, he didn't go OJ and kill humans, however he murdered innocent dogs and that tends to pull at people's emotions. Whether it's right or wrong, in movies people tend to get more emotional when animals die more than when people do.

Specnatz
08-22-2007, 12:26 PM
I am sorry but ever since I saw the NAACP get upset over a hispanic female get named as head of the Dallas Indipendent school district, I have no respect for the organization.

It is a money making enterprise and that is it.

Vinny
08-22-2007, 12:30 PM
To me is it simply amazing how uneducated and ignorant some sectors of the community are. When these Einsteins equate hunting to dog fighting and actually have a straight face, it tells me how out of touch with humanity they are, and how low their character is to condone such a disgusting practice. Sure, that hamburger you ate today didn't die of old age...but it wasn't tortured and forced to fight for the right to live for the amusement of a bunch of shallow idiots.

powerfuldragon
08-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Does anyone else find humor in the fact that the head of ATL's NAACP chapter is named white?

Double Barrel
08-22-2007, 12:37 PM
To me is it simply amazing how uneducated and ignorant some sectors of the community are. When these Einsteins equate hunting to dog fighting and actually have a straight face, it tells me how out of touch with humanity they are, and how low their character is to condone such a disgusting practice. Sure, that hamburger you ate today didn't die of old age...but it wasn't tortured and forced to fight for the right to live for the amusement of a bunch of shallow idiots.

Word.

When hunters start catching deer and making them fight to the death in a brutal blood sport, then I'll feel the same way about hunters (which technically would not make them "hunters" anymore).

Hunters perform the same actions that a butcher performs. One shot kills are what they strive for, and it is not about enjoying the brutality of animals viscously killing each other for sport.

The only people that I will grant any respect for this comparison are true vegans (no part of their life has anything remotely connected to using animals). I might still find them to be a bit whacko, but I'd respect their dedication to living the mentality.

Everyone else that compares dog fighting to deer hunting are just stupid, though.

Hookem Horns
08-22-2007, 12:39 PM
Does anyone else find humor in the fact that the head of ATL's NAACP chapter is named white?

When you posted this I wondered if there where a White Supremacist named Black. Sure enough there is. Oh the irony!

http://www.stormfront.org/dblack/press101997.htm

swtbound07
08-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Hunters are well regulated and licensed. There are permits, safety courses, background checks, bag limits, game wardens...i could go on and on. Hunters and fishermen are responsible people. I am a hunter. We don't shoot the deer in its hoof to watch it limp around for a little bit for our own amusement. One shot kills are the credo. No pain, no realization, just food. I feel sorry for fish, what with the whole hook/asyphiaxtion thingy, but what can you do

Texan_Bill
08-22-2007, 01:16 PM
When you posted this I wondered if there where a White Supremacist named Black. Sure enough there is. Oh the irony!

http://www.stormfront.org/dblack/press101997.htm

LMFAO!! That is too funny!

Porky
08-22-2007, 01:27 PM
When SWT actually agrees with the majority on this, you know the man is a jackass of the highest order. This guy makes Paris Hilton look like Socrates in comparison.

Cjeremy635
08-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Word.

When hunters start catching deer and making them fight to the death in a brutal blood sport, then I'll feel the same way about hunters (which technically would not make them "hunters" anymore).

Hunters perform the same actions that a butcher performs. One shot kills are what they strive for, and it is not about enjoying the brutality of animals viscously killing each other for sport.

The only people that I will grant any respect for this comparison are true vegans (no part of their life has anything remotely connected to using animals). I might still find them to be a bit whacko, but I'd respect their dedication to living the mentality.

Everyone else that compares dog fighting to deer hunting are just stupid, though.

I couldn't help but laugh, the visualization is great!!! Sorry guys/gals, I'm a hunter and I'm not one for animal cruelty, but I'd probably watch that sport and I don't even have a desire to see dogs fight.

infantrycak
08-22-2007, 01:38 PM
For a laugh--Deer Attack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJUvLInmo0U)

TexansLucky13
08-22-2007, 01:49 PM

LOL!

:woot2

Cjeremy635
08-22-2007, 02:05 PM

I remember seeing that one before....crazy stuff! IIRC, the hunter had coated himself down in "doe in estrus scent" and it set the buck off. Word to the wise, NEVER SPRAY YOURSELF DOWN WITH DOE URINE!! :shades:

Cjeremy635
08-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Sadly, you wouldn't think that would be a necessary statement, Cj...
For MANY different reasons!

LOL, you never know. That little tidbit of info right there could have saved someone's life. Seriously, a troop of girl scouts could go on a nature outing and happen upon some remnants of a hunter's camp. Suddenly, little Sally picks up a discarded bottle of "Tink's 69" and accidently sprays little Suzy's Brownie outfit. They think nothing of it, just that it has a foul odor, and continue on their outdoor excersion. About 30 minutes into the hike, little Suzy gets gorged and mauled to death by a fiesty buck in rut. Now, LYB, had they happened upon this priceless testimony beforehand, they could have been taking snapshots of butterflies and earning their wilderness badge instead of screaming in agony. :cool:

HOU-TEX
08-22-2007, 02:30 PM

For another animal related laugh.

http://www.stupidvideos.us/video.aspx/IDp~131

Koolaid Time
08-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Here is the easy way out of this for the NFL...

Mr. Vick will be suspended from the NFL for as long as he is in custody of State and Federal Authorities....

Upon his release from prison, Mr. Vick is free to "try out" for any NFL team..

Feds.. 2 years
State of Virginia: 8 counts at up to 5 years per count. Say he gets 1 count, stacked on his Federal time...

Minimum Total: 7 years.

7 years in prison means Vick is washed up by the time he gets out..

Yankee_In_TX
08-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Ironically enough, didn't black leaders scream and demand Imus be fired?

Cjeremy635
08-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Ironically enough, didn't black leaders scream and demand Imus be fired?

Yeah, they did.

GlassHalfFull
08-22-2007, 02:50 PM
I hate that people try and make this a race issue. If Peyton Manning or Tom Brady had done this crime - they would be trashed worse than Vick has been (well, if that was possible).

Double Barrel
08-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Word to the wise, NEVER SPRAY YOURSELF DOWN WITH DOE URINE!! :shades:

Words of wisdom. Sort of like "Don't eat the yellow snow!".

swtbound07
08-22-2007, 02:55 PM
I hate that people try and make this a race issue. If Peyton Manning or Tom Brady had done this crime - they would be trashed worse than Vick has been (well, if that was possible).

I disagree. As much as i generally hate the race card, I think that Brett Favre doesnt get the Vitriol that vick does here. I think thats mostly due to people already being predisposed to hate vick for whatever reason, probably partly due to race. Thats not to say it wouldn't be a story, or there wouldn't be outrage...but i don't think it would have the venom that it does when directed towards vick.

Cjeremy635
08-22-2007, 03:00 PM
I disagree. As much as i generally hate the race card, I think that Brett Favre doesnt get the Vitriol that vick does here. I think thats mostly due to people already being predisposed to hate vick for whatever reason, probably partly due to race. Thats not to say it wouldn't be a story, or there wouldn't be outrage...but i don't think it would have the venom that it does when directed towards vick.

Did I miss something? When was Favre charged with being involved in running a dog fighting ring?

GlassHalfFull
08-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Did I miss something? When was Favre charged with being involved in running a dog fighting ring?

Prime example of how rumors get started!!

I still maintain it would be worse. People would have a sense of betrayol they don't have with Vick. Not because of race, but because of the stunts he has pulled.

Specnatz
08-22-2007, 03:11 PM

swt veiled attempt at making an excuse for vick.

swtbound07
08-22-2007, 03:15 PM
swt veiled attempt at making an excuse for vick.

im not excusing vick. Im simply stating that the public outcry is worse then it would be for a white quarterback of the same public stature. Whether or not it is wrong as an entity of itself is another debate entirely, but please don't sit here and smile and tell me america would be just as outraged. Black and white do still exist. Sad, but true.

infantrycak
08-22-2007, 03:17 PM

I think you have a kernel of truth but are overstating it. First, not everyone saying a person who commits a crime should be or will be prosecuted is flinging venom. To the extent you perceive it as venom or it is actually being flung, dog lovers are going to fling it no matter what race the person accused--they are dog lovers, not race haters. Are there some people who are primarily motivated by race in this case and don't really care about the dogs except as an excuse?--sure, out of 300 mil people there are bound to be some--personally I don't think it is a significant segment of the population. What you wouldn't hear would be a bunch of white folks calling in saying dogs aren't important in white culture.

I think you are also underestimating the predisposition against Vick created by his own actions with Ron Mexico, flipping the bird, the water bottle and by association the actions of his brother--all racially independent.

Cjeremy635
08-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Prime example of how rumors get started!!

I still maintain it would be worse. People would have a sense of betrayol they don't have with Vick. Not because of race, but because of the stunts he has pulled.

Sorry....I guess the sarcasm of my response didn't come through in the typing. I was being a smarta$$. :shades:

GlassHalfFull
08-22-2007, 03:28 PM
I got the sarcasm, I was trying to compound it!!

Tedc
08-22-2007, 03:46 PM
im not excusing vick. Im simply stating that the public outcry is worse then it would be for a white quarterback of the same public stature. Whether or not it is wrong as an entity of itself is another debate entirely, but please don't sit here and smile and tell me america would be just as outraged. Black and white do still exist. Sad, but true.

I feel you are totally wrong.

If Pac Man Jones does something wrong (what are the odds?) and Joe Montana does the same thing, I feel there is a larger outcry about Joe from the fans based on his past. They would feel MORE betrayed by a man who they truely believed was an idol.

Vick has a tainted past and it is not so much a stretch to believe his guilt and it is easier to accept the possibility that he is. Joe Montana would be more of a news story but the crime would be viewed as the same.....disgusting.

On another note, let's not forget the gambling charges Vick faces. That is something the NFL can't look past.

Texan_Bill
08-22-2007, 04:05 PM

Funny, you should have listened to Jim Rome today. Jemele Hill (a black female writer for ESPN's Page 2) addressed the very same issue about this being a white quarterback.

She used Tom Brady for example. What she says is that is if Tom Brady were to have a "history" of indescretions such as Vick has had, he would have been equally lambasted by society as a whole.

By the way, her article is a good read... Vick did this to Himself (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070821)

I know, I know, she's an Aunt Jane..... :rolleyes:

Vinny
08-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Some of you young guys don't know or don't remember your history but the NFL kicked popular Ohio St QB Art Schlichter out of the league for gambling many years ago. This may amaze some folks but he was white.

Texan_Bill
08-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Some of you young guys don't know or don't remember your history but the NFL kicked popular Ohio St QB Art Schlichter out of the league for gambling many years ago. This may amaze some folks but he was white.

Yankee knows all to well about Art Schlicter............ :specnatz:

Specnatz
08-22-2007, 04:53 PM
And the http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/Specnatz/sign-crap.gif award goes to Stephon Marbury.

"We don't say anything about people shooting deers and shooting other animals, you know what I mean? From what I hear, dogfighting is a sport. It's just behind closed doors and I think it's tough that we build Michael Vick up and then we break him down ... I think he fell into a bad situation."

WOW there really are some insightful folks out there. Fell into a bad situation? No you fall into a bad situation when your woman runs off with another man and takes all your money with her. Financing an illegal activity and then gambling on it is not falling into it, it is jumping feet first and landing on your "johnson".

Porky
08-22-2007, 05:49 PM
And the http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/Specnatz/sign-crap.gif award goes to Stephon Marbury.

WOW there really are some insightful folks out there. Fell into a bad situation? No you fall into a bad situation when your woman runs off with another man and takes all your money with her. Financing an illegal activity and then gambling on it is not falling into it, it is jumping feet first and landing on your "johnson".

my current moron list:

Deion Sanders - Check
Peyton Manning - Check
Emmit Smith - Check
Newly added section:
Stephon Marbury :gun:

Ya, Portis and White. Forgot about those two.

And today, I am adding a new wing on to my main moron building. This wing is devoted to the morons of the highest order. Deion in an honorary lifetime member.

But our newest inductee is Jason Whitlock. Does this guy actually mean what he writes? If so, he might deserve one whole wing to himself that is above and beyond the Deion wing. It'll be called the Jason Whitlock Moron hall of fame lifetime memorial wing.

If you haven't seen it, get a load of this - Vick deserves shot at redemption (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7146976?MSNHPHMA)

Texan_Bill
08-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Clinton Portis - Check
Mr. White - Check

*Disclaimer: that's R.L. White - not the Mr. White on the boards*

Spled
08-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Watch Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel this month to see how cruel this activity (not sport) is. Blacks and whites do it. Defending it, in a cheap attempt to throw the race card, makes you responsible for it continuing.

Khari
08-22-2007, 06:50 PM
mr white just proved that some ppl are dumber than doggies :woot2:

NFLforher
08-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Quote from article:
"White also said he didn't understand the uproar over dogfighting, when hunting deer and other animals is perfectly acceptable."

My husband hunts deer and he has never electrocuted, hung, or drowned one.

edo783
08-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Yankee knows all to well about Art Schlicter............ :specnatz:

I bet ya dont!:shades:

Joe Texan
08-22-2007, 08:27 PM
I am a hunter,
I have hunted Deer
I have never dropped one though

I had a dog
he bit my neighbor
I gave him away to a good home
Guess I should have had his pool electrofied

I did catch a fish and I fed it to my Duck

Mr White is nothing but a man trying to play the card of one who needs attention, If I say this I get more press. He has now made me realize that what he says goes in one side and out the other.

Overalls
08-23-2007, 12:28 PM
As an old Oiler fan, two of my favorite QBs are Moon abd McNair. Both have had incidents with alcohol and domestic abuse and/or weapons as has our own Ahman Green. There is no public outcry over any of them. Part of what is perceived as unfair criticism by some, I feel is brought on more by the personality of the person involved. Vick has certain attitude that does not tend to make you like him if you don't like his attitude. Moon and McNair have an attitude of reaching out to the community and are seen as friendly guys. No one made a thread bashing Moon when he was recently charged because he is out of the public eye and for the most part we wish him well. Some of us, as Texans fans may remember back when Vick came out early to avoid being drafted by us. That in itself will taint some peoples opinion of him.
We in general want to be people to like us and tend to want to be around people that are like us. To small minded people this can be based on race. I have no problem with people of any race, but I base my friendships on people in my circle of influence. Thus if you are a tailgater I know, I know you by the fact that you are a Texans fans, not because you are white. If you go to my church, I know you as a Christian, not because you are white. If you work for me or I work for you, I know you as someone I depend on to help me get my job done, not because you are white. Racism still exist but to use it as an excuse or as a crutch fans the flames of those wanting to keep it in place. Without Jessie and Al don't have jobs. Part of what they do is to try to make you think you have the problem not others who wish to throw the gas on the spark.

I wanted Vick to be drafted by the Texans.
I don't hunt. I don't fish. I am just a fat man that likes to eat.
I wish him well and feel that more than a year in jail is more than he deserves.

HoustonFrog
08-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Lately there has been one guy I've heard on Rome and read that has made sense, and that has been Jason Whitlock. I never liked the guy much but he hasn't kissed up and he has told it like it is about avoiding race and about looking at the crime, etc...no excuses...then he disappointed me today with this b.s. on Fox. I just think he took one part of what Mr. White said and agreed while ignoring the underlying theme..he pled because he had no choice and might be innocent but this was the best route

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7146976

Again, I concur with Mr. White. Michael Vick and every other convicted felon deserve an opportunity to re-enter society and earn an honest living. Now that Vick has acknowledged his wrongdoing, offered an apology through his attorney and is prepared to accept his fate, we should treat him with compassion, and support his rehabilitation efforts.

Texan_Bill
08-23-2007, 01:51 PM
:huh:

Jason... Jason.... Jason..... No one deserves ****. People need to earn a second chance.

I agree that people who PAY THEIR DEBT TO SOCIETY may 'earn' a second chance, but Vick hasn't earned anything yet. Hell, he hasn't even been sentenced yet...

Memo to Jason:
We'll talk about it after he pays his debt.

Specnatz
08-23-2007, 02:11 PM
:huh:

Jason... Jason.... Jason..... No one deserves ****. People need to earn a second chance.

I agree that people who PAY THEIR DEBT TO SOCIETY may 'earn' a second chance, but Vick hasn't earned anything yet. Hell, he hasn't even been sentenced yet...

Memo to Jason:
We'll talk about it after he pays his debt.

Given? Ahh so now I have to give things to someone. I agree Bill they need to earn it, vivk has not said anything his lawyer said it. His lawyer also said he was not guilty and that vick is looking for spring training. so I guess vick is going to try his hand at baseball not football.

infantrycak
08-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Good to see the National President of the NAACP make more responsible comments:

WASHINGTON -- Falcons quarterback Michael Vick "is not a victim" and should be held responsible for his actions involving a dogfighting ring in Virginia, the national president of the NAACP said Thursday.

"He absolutely must account for what he has done," Dennis Courtland Hayes, interim president and CEO of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said in an interview with The Associated Press.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2988279&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

Specnatz
08-23-2007, 04:03 PM

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2988279&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

Well you can color me impressed.

Hookem Horns
08-23-2007, 04:05 PM

I assume he is not a Falcons fan and the moron in Atlanta is.

infantrycak
08-23-2007, 04:14 PM
I assume he is not a Falcons fan and the moron in Atlanta is.

He probably also realized the damage to the reputation of the NAACP (I know, I know) resulting from affiliating with Vick at this point.

CloakNNNdagger
08-23-2007, 05:43 PM
He probably also realized the damage to the reputation of the NAACP (I know, I know) resulting from affiliating with Vick at this point.

I came across an editorial by Michael Wilbon an African American sports collumist (Washington Post) who has the ability to see past the surface. It is worthwhile to read the entire collumn:

Back in the spring, when Vick's trouble was with the state of Virginia and not the federal government, Falcons owner Arthur Blank and Goodell asked Vick repeatedly to tell them of his full involvement, to address the allegations head on at the time, before it got worse. But Vick, according to a person with knowledge of such a conversation, told his advisers that law enforcement people couldn't prove he did anything. Vick thought he had stiff-armed his owner, his lawyers and the commish like a bunch of bad tacklers.

Like most people who are arrogant but not particularly smart, Vick overplayed his hand. To get back into pro football -- and there's no guarantee -- Vick is going to have to repeatedly and convincingly demonstrate a level of humility I doubt he's felt a single day in his life. And it has to start between now and Monday's appearance in Richmond.

If he says what arrogant athletes in trouble usually say, that this is behind him and it's time to move on, his penitence will be insufficient. He'd better take the approach, and publicly, that his god isn't finished with him yet and there's a better man at the end of this regrettable process than at the beginning. Vick, clearly a man used to taking what he wants without fear of consequence, had better start begging quite literally for mercy and forgiveness. In public. Every chance he gets. We may be a forgiving culture, but only if people believe the sinner is genuinely contrite.

Of course, Vick has never been any good at these things. He's never been lovable, never been charming or PR savvy. He's rarely extended himself or been engaging publicly. But that's where the rehabilitation of his reputation begins, with doing all the things he thought previously were beneath him.

If he just remains the same old Michael Vick, he's got no chance.

Vick Doesn't Know Contrition (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/20/AR2007082001879.html)

gwallaia
08-23-2007, 06:06 PM
“If the police caught Brett Favre (a white quarterback for the Green Bay Packers) running a dolphin-fighting ring out of his pool, where dolphins with spears attached to their foreheads fought each other, would they bust him? Of course not,” Sharpton wrote Tuesday on his personal blog.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20411561/

Al Sharpton is non-stop entertainment.

Double Barrel
08-23-2007, 06:26 PM
“If the police caught Brett Favre (a white quarterback for the Green Bay Packers) running a dolphin-fighting ring out of his pool, where dolphins with spears attached to their foreheads fought each other, would they bust him? Of course not,” Sharpton wrote Tuesday on his personal blog.

Wha....?? :crazy:

GlassHalfFull
08-23-2007, 06:36 PM

LOL perfect

CloakNNNdagger
08-23-2007, 07:18 PM
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/2/Q/sharpton_caricature.jpg

LET ME MAKE JUST ONE THING PERFECTLY CLEAR...............IN CONTRAST TO MY OPPONENTS STATEMENTS ON VICK'S SITUATION, MY OPINIONS ARE IN NO WAY RACIALLY MOTIVATED.

edo783
08-23-2007, 07:23 PM

That is about as moronic a statement as has ever been posted on this board. Sharpton is such a duffass and media whore.

Cjeremy635
08-23-2007, 07:36 PM

HA HA HA HA HA....was that real? I just spewed coke out of my nose reading that. That's a freakin' hoot!!! :laughjump: lol:

GlassHalfFull
08-23-2007, 07:46 PM
HA HA HA HA HA....was that real? I just spewed coke out of my nose reading that. That's a freakin' hoot!!! :laughjump: lol:

Clink on the link - it is real:fans:

nunusguy
08-24-2007, 09:09 AM

You are of course correct swtbound07, and if one has any doubts they should take a look at some of the message boards, chat sessions, etc. going
on in the Atlanta area. If I were to copy/paste some lanquage used over there (in the ATL Journal-Constitution), it would be immediately purged from this Board by the moderators. It's just difficult for many members of the white race in particular to accept the reality of racism. I dunno all the reasons
for that, but the subject is beyond the scope of this thread.
Whatever racial problems that may exist in Houston between Black & White citizens pale in comparison to these sorts of problems in the Atlanta area. I know, I lived and worked in ATL for a year back in the mid 90s and while I certainly liked ATL and all of the people I worked with at Delta Airlines, I learned alot about the area including the deep divisions on social issues between citizens of the area based strictly along racial lines.
I'm not in any way saying that Vick didn't screw up and shouldn't be punished for his transgressions. But anybody who does not think there is a racial element to this situation is simply ignorant or in denial.

HoustonFrog
08-24-2007, 09:24 AM
You are of course correct swtbound07, and if one has any doubts they should take a look at some of the message boards, chat sessions, etc. going
on in the Atlanta area. If I were to copy/paste some lanquage used over there (in the ATL Journal-Constitution), it would be immediately purged from this Board by the moderators. It's just difficult for many members of the white race in particular to accept the reality of racism. I dunno all the reasons
for that, but the subject is beyond the scope of this thread.
Whatever racial problems that may exist in Houston between Black & White citizens pale in comparison to these sorts of problems in the Atlanta area. I know, I lived and worked in ATL for a year back in the mid 90s and while I certainly liked ATL and all of the people I worked with at Delta Airlines, I learned alot about the area including the deep divisions on social issues between citizens of the area based strictly along racial lines.
I'm not in any way saying that Vick didn't screw up and shouldn't be punished for his transgressions. But anybody who does not think there is a racial element to this situation is simply ignorant or in denial.

I completely disagree as to where race fits in. Do I think that there are racial lines drawn in Atlanta and all throughout the country?Yes I do. I'm not naive. I have seen some of the language. Go look at the article on FoxSports by Jason Whitlock. There is all kinds of racism evident in the responses.

Where I disagree with you though is where this all came from. The Vick case is not about race. The Feds didn't come after him because he was a black QB. Again, they have come after the Martha Stewarts of the world..rich, white woman,..just as hard. Where racism snuck into this was from people outside the story making it about race. Many, not just the African-American community, but in all communities, started saying it was a witch hunt because of race. When people start throwing the race card where it doesn't belong it THEN brings out the hidden racists who are sick of hearing of perceived excuses from the black community. Where as a man like myself and most normal humans won't equate the calls on 610 or the Atlanta NAACP's leader as representing a race, there are many racists out there that will. That is where this problem stems from. I really believe a case that is about dog fighting became a case about race when the cultural lines were drawn outside the legal system. I like what Jameeka Hill said in her article

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070821

But Vick let you down. He betrayed you. He heightened the stereotypes of black men instead of eroding them. Racists certainly will feast on Vick, but he was the one who made himself an entrée.
You can say Vick was persecuted unfairly by the white media, say we should be more concerned with the war in Iraq than an illegal dogfighting ring or say his downfall wouldn't be a 24-hour news event if he were the highest-paid white quarterback.

But it's impossible to stand on moral high ground while trying to defend something so low. Vick did something wrong, something against the law, something disgusting and vile. Even worse, he appears to be the financial backer and mastermind behind the dogfighting ring.

swtbound07
08-24-2007, 09:31 AM
I completely disagree as to where race fits in. Do I think that there are racial lines drawn in Atlanta and all throughout the country?Yes I do. I'm not naive. I have seen some of the language. Go look at the article on FoxSports by Jason Whitlock. There is all kinds of racism evident in the responses.

Where I disagree with you though is where this all came from. The Vick case is not about race. The Feds didn't come after him because he was a black QB. Again, they have come after the Martha Stewarts of the world..rich, white woman,..just as hard. Where racism snuck into this was from people outside the story making it about race. Many, in the not just the African-American community, but in all communities, started saying it was a witch hunt because of race. When people start throwing the race card where it doesn't belong it THEN brings out the hidden racists who are sick of hearing excuses from the black community. Where as a man like myself and most normal humans won't equate the calls to 610 or the Atlanta NAACP's leader as representing a race, there are many racists out there that will. That is where this problem stems from. I really believe a case that is about dog fighting became a case about race when the cultural lines were drawn outside the legal system. I like what Jameeka Hill said in her article

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070821

THATS NOT THE POINT. nobody (sensible, that is) is saying the feds made this case because vick is black. what i AM saying, and I think is very valid, is that the public opinion is worse because vick is black. A lot of people's reasons for defending vick are very likely racial at this point, but by the same token, so are a lot of peoples outrage.

Texan_Bill
08-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Frog, I posted that link to her article earlier in this thread, but I didnt get much feedback on it... It was a very good read and I commend her for her words.

HoustonFrog
08-24-2007, 09:41 AM
THATS NOT THE POINT. nobody (sensible, that is) is saying the feds made this case because vick is black. what i AM saying, and I think is very valid, is that the public opinion is worse because vick is black. A lot of people's reasons for defending vick are very likely racial at this point, but by the same token, so are a lot of peoples outrage.

That IS the point. You just made my whole argument. The outrage and racism are a product of each other, in a case where it didn't belong. That was exactly my point above! The racists came out in full force not because of Vick but because of the color of those defending him and bringing race into the issue. People defend him, people slam those who defend him and make it all about "that" race. Your previous message and nuns follow up was in regards to a white QB. By bringing that variable in, you are saying that this wouldn't be as big a deal if he was white. I think the outrage would be the same but it would be centered on dog fighting.

swtbound07
08-24-2007, 09:47 AM
That IS the point. You just made my whole argument. The outrage and racism are a product of each other, in a case where it didn't belong. That was exactly my point above! The racists came out in full force not because of Vick but because of the color of those defending him and bringing race into the issue. Your previous message and nuns follow up was in regards to a white QB. By bringing that variable in, you are saying that this wouldn't be as big a deal if he was white.

it wouldn't. Thats just the way america is. Im not saying he isn't going to plead guilty to interstate trafficing or something. I'm not saying he is innocent. He did something, which provoked a high level of outrage. Im saying that outrage doesn't exist if he is white. Thats social commentary. The racists came out of the woodwork because he is black.

infantrycak
08-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Im saying that outrage doesn't exist if he is white. Thats social commentary. The racists came out of the woodwork because he is black.

Yeah, those racists at PETA and all those racist dog lovers were just waiting for a black QB to do this.

You're acting as if their can't be multiple causes for outrage. Yes, some folks of both races would drop out of the debate if this was a white QB. Obviously black folks wouldn't be calling every radio station saying dog fighting is OK for instance. There still would be a huge number of people offended by dog fighting. It is virtually universally regarded as repugnant--hence the fact that it is illegal in every state.

HoustonFrog
08-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Yeah, those racists at PETA and all those racist dog lovers were just waiting for a black QB to do this.

You're acting as if their can't be multiple causes for outrage. Yes, some folks of both races would drop out of the debate if this was a white QB. Obviously black folks wouldn't be calling every radio station saying dog fighting is OK for instance. There still would be a huge number of people offended by dog fighting. It is virtually universally regarded as repugnant--hence the fact that it is illegal in every state.

Well you beat me to it!!Thanks. That has been my point with SW. The outrage would be there and it would be talked about, it would just be about the horrors or dogfighting and other issues. Once the calls and leaders and people stopped talking race then the racists, supporters, etc, etc would not exist. It wasn't a product of people being outraged at Vick being black, it was people outraged at the support he received regarding how dogfighting was accepted in a "culture", etc and that people like SW blindly backed him because he was a favorite athlete.

swtbound07
08-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Well you beat me to it!!Thanks. That has been my point with SW. The outrage would be there and it would be talked about, it would just be about the horrors or dogfighting and other issues. Once the calls and leaders and people stopped talking race then the racists, supporters, etc, etc would not exist. It wasn't a product of people being outraged at Vick being black, it was people outraged at the support he received regarding how dogfighting was accepted in a "culture", etc and that people like SW blindly backed him because he was a favorite athlete.

live with blinders on if you like. think that the racists wouldn't have been all over this like white on rice if you like. Whatever. Yes, its multifaceted. Yes, its complicated. But if you truely think that michael vick being black has no bearing on people's opinions on this case then you are beyond help.

Texan_Bill
08-24-2007, 10:09 AM
His race has absolutely NO bearing on my perception of that POS.... This does:
1) "Ron Mexico"
2) Flipping the dirty bird at fans that pay his salary
3) The "water bottle"
4) Dog fighting....

= POS (Black, White or Purple)

HoustonFrog
08-24-2007, 10:14 AM
live with blinders on if you like. think that the racists wouldn't have been all over this like white on rice if you like. Whatever. Yes, its multifaceted. Yes, its complicated. But if you truely think that michael vick being black has no bearing on people's opinions on this case then you are beyond help.

Who the hell are you talking to? You are the guy who sat here and thought a guy was innocent because he was your favorite football player, like some high school kid with a crush on the cheerleader. You defended him despite voilent acts and heinous acts. Grow up. I'm thinking you haven't gotten your attention fill this week. Shouldn't you be guaranteeing Carr being back or camping out outside T-Macs house? If you read my post above I readily admit that racism is alive and well and that I'm sure people don't like Vick and race had to do with it. My argument was that there would still be outrage, as much outrage with a white QB..your initial attention getter...but the reasoning for the outrage would be different. Racism and the ignorance of others help breed on each other. That is alot of what is happening in this case. Racism all right but not just because Vick is black. You are a perfect example of how there are plenty of white people who love Vick the football player despite indiscretions. There is one person beyond help here.....

Vega
08-24-2007, 10:15 AM

Well said. If Vick were white, there he would have fewer supporters because there would be nobody playing the race card. No one would be saying "you're just attacking him because he's white."

I'm sure there is a population that is making this into a bigger deal because Vick is black, but in the same sense, there is a population that is defending him because he's black. But I think the larger population, of both white and black people, are offended by the nature of the actions as opposed to the racial implications.

I agree that racism is still a problem in many parts of America and it needs to be addressed. But while that may play a minor role in this debate, I think a white quarterback would be equally outcast for his actions. Look at Tim Donahue. There's been a pretty big stink made about that. He was fired from the NBA prior to his plea and has received no support from any group suggesting he should be given a second chance. And he shouldn't. His actions were despicable and offensive and he raised questions about the integrity of his sport. I don't think that would have been worse if he had been a black referee.

Specnatz
08-24-2007, 10:18 AM

I think I will take being called blinded by someone who is only putting his two cents on this because of his bet on the scum bag. swt you really need to stop even coming to this thread because you are not helping your cause by making even more statements that are full of BS.

You saying I have blinders on is about as smart as taking drinking advice from Lindsy Lohan.

eriadoc
08-24-2007, 10:22 AM
on in the Atlanta area. If I were to copy/paste some lanquage used over there (in the ATL Journal-Constitution), it would be immediately purged from this Board by the moderators. It's just difficult for many members of the white race in particular to accept the reality of racism.

I really should probably just keep my mouth shut, but I am getting very tired of people defending Vick, rationalizing the crap he's done, and making excuses based on race.

So I am just going to speak from my personal perspective, and from the perspective of the people I know and deal with on a regular basis.

It's not difficult for me to accept the reality of racism. I know several racists - and none of them are white. I think (again, from my perspective, and my circle of friends and associates) that white people just want the whole race thing to go away. We don't care about it, we see no reason to perpetuate it, and there's no difference in humanity aside from the cultural differences that people retain. When Paris Hilton was being blasted recently for her problems, no one came out about race, and it was white and black people blasting her. If that had been a black girl, NAACP, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and whatever other dumb@sses would come out of the woodwork to claim racism.

Give it a freakin' break already. Vick did wrong stuff and that's that. He deserves to be punished and he will. If it were a white athlete, he'd be punished. If it were OJ .... well, he'd get away with it ;)

I'm not here to incense anyone, but I really get annoyed with the constant hints and allegations that white people are racist. GTFO with that crap.

Specnatz
08-24-2007, 10:29 AM
I really should probably just keep my mouth shut, but I am getting very tired of people defending Vick, rationalizing the crap he's done, and making excuses based on race.

So I am just going to speak from my personal perspective, and from the perspective of the people I know and deal with on a regular basis.

It's not difficult for me to accept the reality of racism. I know several racists - and none of them are white. I think (again, from my perspective, and my circle of friends and associates) that white people just want the whole race thing to go away. We don't care about it, we see no reason to perpetuate it, and there's no difference in humanity aside from the cultural differences that people retain. When Paris Hilton was being blasted recently for her problems, no one came out about race, and it was white and black people blasting her. If that had been a black girl, NAACP, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and whatever other dumb@sses would come out of the woodwork to claim racism.

Give it a freakin' break already. Vick did wrong stuff and that's that. He deserves to be punished and he will. If it were a white athlete, he'd be punished. If it were OJ .... well, he'd get away with it ;)

I'm not here to incense anyone, but I really get annoyed with the constant hints and allegations that white people are racist. GTFO with that crap.

Has Al Sharpton and jesse Jackson apologized for the duke case yet?

Nope, but you can bet that if it was black athletes and people called for their heads, they would be demanding an apology.

real
08-24-2007, 10:55 AM
I think what SWT is saying definitely has some truth to it, but I think ultimately the point he is making pretty much goes without saying...

Of course there were some racist that came out of the woodworks....Of course there were some people who sub-conciously pile on black people when they do bad things...Whether or not there were racist involved with the investigation and proceedings of this case is not only non-relevant, but it's also just a whisper in the wind....A thought....a what if....

Fact of the matter is Vick messed up...He borke the law....Whether or not you think dog fighting should or shouldn't be illegal is also not relevant....fact is, it isn't....He broke the law and he will be sentenced accordingly....

I think it's pretty safe to assume that there were some people somewhere in America who had an extra amount of racially motivated venom for MV, but things understood don't need to be explained. Black, White, Yellow, Purple, Orange. MV messed up. The end.

Khari
08-24-2007, 10:56 AM
But if you truely think that michael vick being black has no bearing on people's opinions on this case then you are beyond help.

i am beyond help :woot2:

HOU-TEX
08-24-2007, 10:59 AM
i am beyond help :woot2:

I guess I am too. I always just thought it was because of all the stupid things he's said and done in the past.

Eh..I guess I'm just odd.:specnatz:

real
08-24-2007, 11:09 AM
I think saying there was NO racially motivated attitudes towards this case is just as bad as even bringing up the race card in the first place...

Vinny
08-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Who the hell are you talking to? You are the guy who sat here and thought a guy was innocent because he was your favorite football player, like some high school kid with a crush on the cheerleader. You defended him despite voilent acts and heinous acts. Grow up. There is an old saying....'you are only young once but you can be immature all your life.'

Not sure if it applies here...but that was the first thing that came to mind. The people who use race to leverage this issue (on either side of it) are really simple minded people as far as I'm concerned.

HoustonFrog
08-24-2007, 11:29 AM
There is an old saying....'you are only young once but you can be immature all your life.'

Not sure if it applies here...but that was the first thing that came to mind. The people who use race to leverage this issue (on either side of it) are really simple minded people as far as I'm concerned.

Yup!As Xtru said above, there are always a few and it is out there but it isn't the crux here. I tried to explain the same.

Specnatz
08-24-2007, 11:33 AM
There is an old saying....'you are only young once but you can be immature all your life.'

Very profound Vinny, and oh so true.

Errant Hothy
08-24-2007, 11:35 AM

To be fair, there has been a correction issued in that story:

CORRECTION
An earlier version of this article quoted from a blog entry purportedly by the Rev. Al Sharpton. MSNBC.com has determined that the blog is a hoax. In July, Sharpton signed a letter with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals condemning dogfighting, saying: “Dogfighting is unacceptable. Hurting animals for human pleasure or gain is despicable. Cruelty is just plain wrong.”

from the link in the quoted section.

HoustonFrog
08-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Dr. Harry Edwards, the leading expert on sports problems and race, is on Rome right now and he point blank just said that the "outrage" would not be different if this was a white QB. He said the difference would be who responded. You wouldn't have the NAACP and other black athletes responding but you'd have other groups responding. The facts of the case would still be outrageous and the same.

Glad to hear others agree.

Mr. White
08-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Dr. Harry Edwards, the leading expert on sports problems and race, is on Rome right now and he poitn blank just said that the "outrage" would not be different if this was a white QB. He said the difference would be who responded. You wouldn't have the NAACP and other black athletes responding but you'd have other groups responding. The facts of the case would still be outrageous and the same.

I was about to post the same thing. Great interview.

Texan_Bill
08-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Dr. Harry Edwards, the leading expert on sports problems and race, is on Rome right now and he point blank just said that the "outrage" would not be different if this was a white QB. He said the difference would be who responded. You wouldn't have the NAACP and other black athletes responding but you'd have other groups responding. The facts of the case would still be outrageous and the same.

Great interview.... Phenominal....

Anyway... He went on to say that it is not a racial issue, its a "right from wrong" issue

nunusguy
08-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Great interview.... Phenominal....

Anyway... He went on to say that it is not a racial issue, its a "right from wrong" issue
I did not hear him categorically deny a racial component, did you ? I think he
said racism is present, though some might argue only at a peripheral level.
If you are still listening to Rome, he's wondering if Vick would have better off if he killed a person instead of some Pit Bulls, and he's like only half joking.
But lets forget about homicide, how about manslaughter.You know the DE for the Rams (Little) who killed the woman when he was driving drunk ? I think thats maybe far worse than intentionally, cold-bloodedly killing Pit Bulls, but I wouldn' be surprised if more feel the other way ?

Texan_Bill
08-24-2007, 12:46 PM
If you are still listening to Rome, he's wondering if Vick would have better off if he killed a person instead of some Pit Bulls, and he's like only half joking.
But lets forget about homicide, how about manslaughter.You know the DE for the Rams (Little) who killed the woman when he was driving drunk ? I think thats maybe far worse than intentionally, cold-bloodedly killing Pit Bulls, but I wouldn' be surprised if more feel the other way ?

I think he meant in terms of the indictment itself... Because he did admit, as many of us in this thread have, that the race issue is (I forget his actual words) a by-product of the indictment (cause and effect)....

HoustonFrog
08-24-2007, 12:46 PM

He said that the color of the defendants skin didn't matter as to the amount of "outrage" because the acts were outrageous and heinous. He said race came into play only because of those who responded....the NAACP, other black athletes, people who defended Vick. He said if it had been a white player then it would be more dog lovers, PETA..general outrage over dog fighting. Basically race is in play because of who responded not the indictment itself is how he first put it.

Tedc
08-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Dang!
I can't believe nobody has commented on my post.
One of the few that I actually devoted some time and thought to.
I thought I brought up a few good points.

:shades:

I was impressed by it but that is no surprise to me as you seem to make good posts. I guess when you are that good, you have to work harder to impress.

Rep anyway!

HoustonFrog
08-24-2007, 01:33 PM
I wasn't begging for rep but thanks anyway.
Just curious if the points that I brought up "culture" and things of that nature was something that folks had thought about.

Mainly that some blacks viewed this as an attack not only on their "culture" but also on one of their largest cultural icons (in Atlanta at least).

It was a very well thought out post and expressed many of the things I agreed with in this thread. I have heard the cultural argument ad nauseum...at least on sports radio..but it is a good one I believe. I definitely took it as some people felt they were being attacked too. I think it is natural no matter who you are when you hear people attack someone for a belief or position and you hold the same position.

gary
08-25-2007, 01:45 PM
I would like to go back to the point of this thread and just say that the NFL did do the right thing by banning Mr. Vick because he was wrong and people need to be shown that it doesn't matter if your a high paid super star or not wrong is wrong.

The Dream
08-26-2007, 03:46 PM
I wish the NAACP would turn their attention towards Jena 6 instead of Mike Vick.........

gary
08-26-2007, 06:41 PM
I wish the NAACP would turn their attention towards Jena 6 instead of Mike Vick......... What is Jena 6?

Texan_Bill
08-27-2007, 08:18 AM
From Always Reliable Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jena,_Louisiana)

Racial tensions resurfaced in Jena on September 1, 2006, when hangman's nooses were discovered in a tree in Jena High School's campus after a black student tried to sit with white students at lunch. The school head recommended that the noose-hangers should be expelled. The board of education overruled him and the three white student perpetrators received in-school suspension.[4] On November 30, 2006 an arson fire destroyed the main academic building at the school. On December 4, 2006 a fight broke out on campus, after which six African-American students, later dubbed the Jena 6,[5] were arrested and charged with attempted second-degree murder. Law enforcement officers told the Alexandria Daily Town Talk they have found no links between the noose incident, the arson fire, and subsequent fights[citation needed].

The six accused of attempted second-degree murder are black and were fighting a white student after a week of intimidation by white students, including the one who was assaulted.[6] Intimidation cited includes an incident in which a white student brandished a gun at a convenience store after a verbal exchange. Students allegedly wrestled away the gun and were then held in custody and charged with theft while no charges were made against the white student.[7]

On June 26, 2007 the first day of trial for Mychal Bell, one of the defendants, the prosecutor agreed to reduce the charges for Bell to aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy to commit aggravated second-degree battery.[8] Bell was found guilty by an all-white jury, and will face the possibility of up to 22 years in prison when he is sentenced.[7] The sentencing was originally scheduled for July 30, but has been delayed until September 20, 2007. [9] However, the case is currently in dispute, as the court-appointed public defender did not call a single witness in his attempt to defend Bell.[10] The other five students will be tried at a later date.

The town has gained international notoriety as an example of the alleged "new 'stealth' racism" that lives on in America[11] with national attention drawn to the events by a National Public Radio prime time story on July 30, 2007.[12] The town also featured in a BBC documentary, This World: "Race hate in Louisiana".[13]