PDA

View Full Version : Mario says "we have got to change everything" !

nunusguy
08-22-2007, 06:51 AM
"We have got to change everything as far as how I come out here and do things," Williams said. "We're looking at how I was coming off the ball and my point of attack and things like that. ... I'm going to change that up a little bit as far as how I'm coming out there on opposing tackles."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5073885.html
In the latest Chron article, looks like they are going back to the drawing Board.

michaelm
08-22-2007, 07:38 AM
I want to see Mario make big mistakes... the kid is thinking too damn much...
don't be afraid of mistakes, make BIG ones, and the plays will come...

PapaL
08-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Funny part is who he is going up against in the picture. Ben Steele - TE.

http://images.chron.com/photos/2007/08/09/7561003/311xInlineGallery.jpg

Marcus
08-22-2007, 07:44 AM
So, after reading that article, can we finally put this 'motivation' angle to rest? Can we finally now accept that he is, afterall, trying his best, that he's not just going through the motions, or dogging it, or whatever?

And if you accept that, does it make you feel better, or worse?

PapaL
08-22-2007, 07:47 AM
I think he'll be ok. Sometimes you have to tell the brain to shut it and just react. There is no questioning his physical attributes.

Marcus
08-22-2007, 07:54 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Megan Manful wrote that article in such a way as to make Mario look and sound like an i.d.i.o.t.?

Cjeremy635
08-22-2007, 07:56 AM
So, after reading that article, can we finally put this 'motivation' angle to rest? Can we finally now accept that he is, afterall, trying his best, that he's not just going through the motions, or dogging it, or whatever?

The faithful fan in me wants to accept that article and get that warm & fuzzy feeling that it's all going to be OK come regular season. I'm going to try to put aside the negative feelings about his play to date in hopes that he "brings it" when it matters most. (OPENING DAY) :wild:

Cjeremy635
08-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Megan Manful wrote that article in such a way as to make Mario look and sound like an i.d.i.o.t.?

Nah, I thought she wrote it in a way to make people chill out and feel a little sorry for the guy. Although, it is tough to feel sorry for someone with that many 0's on his bank account and then have that many 0's in a game....:gun:

Texan Asylum
08-22-2007, 08:16 AM
I want to see Mario make big mistakes... the kid is thinking too damn much...
don't be afraid of mistakes, make BIG ones, and the plays will come...

Maybe the team can collectively "BUST HIM IN THE MOUTH"! :bat:

Perhaps then he'll get mad enough to quit thinking so much and play ANGRY!

Just a thought...:shrug:

Honoring Earl 34
08-22-2007, 08:25 AM

I equate this to a little league baseball game and Johnny is at bat . His dad yells ... get your feet apart ... so he spreads his feet . His coach yells ... get your elbow up ... so now his elbows up . The assistant coach yells ... put your weight on your back foot ... and Johnny is now so tied up he could'nt hit a beach ball .

HuttoKarl
08-22-2007, 08:29 AM
I'd like for him to just put his head down and run over people like he did against that Giants tackle last season, and then smash the QB. Get a couple of sacks like that and it's going to make the OT's think, thus opening up room for Mario's technique to come into play.

When you're built like a Mack Truck, run over people like a Mack truck.

N.D. Kalu said. "He's trying to do everything right, and it kind of takes away from his aggressiveness. I just try to tell him, 'Man, you're 6-7, 300 pounds, and you've got great explosiveness. Just use it and hit somebody in the mouth. Don't sit here and count your steps and worry about your hand movements. ... You've just got to be a freak.'

nunusguy
08-22-2007, 08:30 AM
The article is actually kinda encouraging to me. We know Mario is gifted athletically and has the physical attributes to play DLine in the NFL. And apparently he very much, maybe even desperately wants to succeed.
So he's certainly not apathetic and learning the mechanics then should come with time, though it may require a longer time for him than others.
What may be missing though is the "mean-streak" that's the basis to bring a real intensity to his game. You know, the same kind of mentality that some said was missing from Seth Wand's game.

infantrycak
08-22-2007, 08:36 AM
I equate this to a little league baseball game and Johnny is at bat . His dad yells ... get your feet apart ... so he spreads his feet . His coach yells ... get your elbow up ... so now his elbows up . The assistant coach yells ... put your weight on your back foot ... and Johnny is now so tied up he could'nt hit a beach ball .

That may very well be the case. I'm with Marcus--bad results don't mean a lack of effort. Analysis paralysis can really slow you down.

Errant Hothy
08-22-2007, 08:43 AM

Well said, hopefully a coach will just grab him by the face mask and till him that his only purpose is to get the QB, screw everything else.

Mr teX
08-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Yeah, it appears manful wrote it in such a way as to garner sympathy, but it's all a process.

the quotes by his teammates were dead on:

"searching for his fastball..." & "he needs to stop thinking so much..."

I need to give Kalu & Weaver rep for that.

HoustonFrog
08-22-2007, 09:16 AM
Yeah, it appears manful wrote it in such a way as to garner sympathy, but it's all a process.

the quotes by his teammates were dead on:

"searching for his fastball..." & "he needs to stop thinking so much..."

I need to give Kalu & Weaver rep for that.

I said this yesterday and it is probably too simplistic but to get a little confidence in him I would point to the QB and just say "get him." Maybe he makes some mistakes but I'd rather see aggressive mistake than caution. He needs to pin the ears back and just get into the backfield. Be a disruption whether it is a run play or pass. I'm not an moron. I know it is easier said than done but I think right now he has too many chiefs and his head is spinning

HJam72
08-22-2007, 09:22 AM
If this reasoning turns out to be true, we should realize that he's just been working on technique during preseason; but, I'd sure like to see him just get after it against Dallas and prove it.

real
08-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Does anybody remember the play last year in pre-season (I think it was the Rams?) where Mario was lined up on the left side and he ripped under the RT, the RT proceeded to grab his jersey, and Mario carried him and made the tackle on the RB in the backfield ?

The guy has shown flashes of being a good ball player, but he has yet to show me a flash of being a good to great pass rusher....

The guy is playing out of position...

nero THE zero
08-22-2007, 09:27 AM
I'd like for him to just put his head down and run over people like he did against that Giants tackle last season, and then smash the QB. Get a couple of sacks like that and it's going to make the OT's think, thus opening up room for Mario's technique to come into play.

When you're built like a Mack Truck, run over people like a Mack truck.

N.D. Kalu said. "He's trying to do everything right, and it kind of takes away from his aggressiveness. I just try to tell him, 'Man, you're 6-7, 300 pounds, and you've got great explosiveness. Just use it and hit somebody in the mouth. Don't sit here and count your steps and worry about your hand movements. ... You've just got to be a freak.'

I like Kalu more and more everytime I hear from him. Last season he was one of the first to call out the team, this season he has made a few statements along this line (which I think are spot on), and he has also showed up and preformed in the preseason.

He is a good vet that doesn't hide his intentions and plays to win. Just a good guy.

awtysst
08-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Does anybody remember the play last year in pre-season (I think it was the Rams?) where Mario was lined up on the left side and he ripped under the RT, the RT proceeded to grab his jersey, and Mario carried him and made the tackle on the RB in the backfield ?

The guy has shown flashes of being a good ball player, but he has yet to show me a flash of being a good to great pass rusher....

Where do you think is his best position? RDE?

threetoedpete
08-22-2007, 10:04 AM

Makes me feel a lot better. I mean you can fix technique. Can't fix will or attitude. I mean look at that picture. If Deacon Jones would of had a body like that there wouldn't of been an upright QB in the late sixties. He's going to get it.

Double Barrel
08-22-2007, 10:15 AM

Fine, he's "motivated".

And we are seeing him "try his best" and "give 100%".

If that is the case, then he is a "project player". And while there is certainly nothing wrong with that, people should not be offended when other folks think we paid too high of a price for a player that might take a few years to develop and make a ripple, much less an impact.

Disclaimer: This isn't a negative pov, but merely an obversation. I will root for the guy every play and obviously hope he's all that and a bag of chips. But I'm not a fortune teller, and I'm not going to predict a HoF career. All I can do is talk about what we've seen so far, which even the biggest homer has to agree is not much at this point.

threetoedpete
08-22-2007, 10:17 AM

That's what I'm getting also He's swimming in information and none of it at this point is working. But it will. He's just gotta, with all due respect to coach Kalu, keep working on it untill the light bulb comes on and it's instinct and not a waltz. I just hope coach N.D. knows what he's doing. What a minute, Kalu isn't a coach.

At least he isn't Tony Mandrich. He's working and he wants to get it. That's half the battle. No kevin Costner quotes please. It will come and when he does get it it will be fun.

Buffi2
08-22-2007, 10:21 AM
I like Kalu more and more everytime I hear from him. Last season he was one of the first to call out the team, this season he has made a few statements along this line (which I think are spot on), and he has also showed up and preformed in the preseason.

He is a good vet that doesn't hide his intentions and plays to win. Just a good guy.

Williams has stayed after practice to work with Kalu.

I know this is a Mario thread - but N D is really a great asset to this team and a good guy who also happens to be very well spoken. A good pass rusher too.

I feel better after reading this article whether Megan wrote it to illicit sympathy or not. As long as he is trying instead of playing with his 17 remote cars all day - he will eventually come around. Hard work, a strong will, and a body like his is an unbeatable combination. It is just taking a bit more time than I thought.

It will be interesting to see if his new approach works. I certainly hope so.

bayshorebevo
08-22-2007, 10:37 AM

It is the complete opposite of your comment. Sounds like she is feeling sorry for him.

real
08-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Where do you think is his best position? RDE?

That's where he's playing now...

I think they need to move him to the other side but of course they can't do that with Weaver being here and all...

threetoedpete
08-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Yes, it is just you.

Took me a long time for me to figure out how to regonize and play a trap block. I could split a double team. One day I figured it out. If it's coming at you find the guy and get down like a tree trunk. If it's moving away from you push the tackle down and look for your kill shot. He's not as stupid as I made out yesterday. He's just swimming, like Earl posted , in information lock. But if Manful's quotes by Kalu are acurate, then he's going into Vince Young mode and Brute Gorrilla strength. Which means that want work and the coaches have to wait untill he gets his mind ready to come back to school.

dalemurphy
08-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Fine, he's "motivated".

And we are seeing him "try his best" and "give 100%".

If that is the case, then he is a "project player". And while there is certainly nothing wrong with that, people should not be offended when other folks think we paid too high of a price for a player that might take a few years to develop and make a ripple, much less an impact.
I]

Any player chosen that high is overpaid for. $20+ million dollar bonuses for someone that's never played a down of NFL football is insane. With the state of today's draft system, I genuinely believe it's better to be picking in the middle of the 1st round than in the top of the round. Outside of getting lucky on a QB at the top of the first round, one that develops very quickly, a team will never get reasonable value out of that first contract. Hopefully, we'll just stay out of that top 8 or so from this point on.

4x4tx
08-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Does anyone have any quotes from the OL guys he goes against? I have never once heard any OLineman say he was tough to block or really any feedback....do they all circle the calender and say i get to take the week off because i get to block mario williams?

threetoedpete
08-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Any player chosen that high is overpaid for. $20+ million dollar bonuses for someone that's never played a down of NFL football is insane. With the state of today's draft system, I genuinely believe it's better to be picking in the middle of the 1st round than in the top of the round. Outside of getting lucky on a QB at the top of the first round, one that develops very quickly, a team will never get reasonable value out of that first contract. Hopefully, we'll just stay out of that top 8 or so from this point on.

Well there's a reason we haven't seen too many block buster deals on draft day in a while. '06 everybody had toys at the top they could live with with that kinda of cap hit. Yeah I'm with you Dale . No garentee that the second teired guy will be any better or worse than the top teired guy. But here's always the Ray Childeress- Bruce Smith factor out there. Both guys went in the first round the same year and one of them is a lock at the HOF. Rep your way.

Specnatz
08-22-2007, 11:04 AM
That's what I'm getting also He's swimming in information and none of it at this point is working. But it will. He's just gotta, with all due respect to coach Kalu, keep working on it untill the light bulb comes on and it's instinct and not a waltz. I just hope coach N.D. knows what he's doing. What a minute, Kalu isn't a coach.

At least he isn't Tony Mandrich. He's working and he wants to get it. That's half the battle. No kevin Costner quotes please. It will come and when he does get it it will be fun.

Kalu may not be "a coach" but he has been in the league a while now and I think he knows what he is talking about and if the coaches had a problem with what he is saying I am sure they would have told him to stop making comments. I love what Kalu is saying .........

"He's such a good kid," veteran end N.D. Kalu said. "He's trying to do everything right, and it kind of takes away from his aggressiveness. I just try to tell him, 'Man, you're 6-7, 300 pounds, and you've got great explosiveness. Just use it and hit somebody in the mouth. Don't sit here and count your steps and worry about your hand movements. ... You've just got to be a freak.'

Kalu has been in the league going on his 11 year and has played on a few NFC championship teams. So I think he knows a little something about what it takes.

:d:

Errant Hothy
08-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Does anyone have any quotes from the OL guys he goes against? I have never once heard any OLineman say he was tough to block or really any feedback....do they all circle the calender and say i get to take the week off because i get to block mario williams?

I don't ahve the quote handy, but the OT from the Giants game last year praised Mario quite a bit.

threetoedpete
08-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Well , I believe Franklin has a heck of a lot more to lose that N.D. does. And the brute force/ free lance stuff....just judging by recent results, isn't working. His pads are too high and he starts his chicken fight on the third step. Now maybe if he relaxes something chages in that dance. But it won't be because of raw tallent.

And XT by out of position you mean switching him once again to the other end, his pad level will be just as high and his steps just as wrong on the other side. If you're posting to move him inside to DT, that there thingy is called a bust. And if McNair and Kubiak except that move they aren't the men I thought they were.

ObsiWan
08-22-2007, 11:42 AM

You may have something...

I've always thought he was physically made more like a Ray Childress or Howie Long than a Dwight Freeney or Jevon Kearse.

ObsiWan
08-22-2007, 11:48 AM

I agree totally. No way a rook that hasn't taken a snap should make more than the starter at his position. But that is the corner that the "Modern Day NFL" has painted itself into.

And that is a subject for a totally different thread. Perhaps one day we'll stop focusing on the symptom (bust/not bust) and figure out the problem - over-hyped rooks with no NFL resume being paid like pro bowlers.

nunusguy
08-22-2007, 11:49 AM
No garentee that the second teired guy will be any better or worse than the top teired guy. But here's always the Ray Childeress- Bruce Smith factor out there. Both guys went in the first round the same year and one of them is a lock at the HOF. Rep your way.
Good point, which raises an interesting question.
I hope Mario ultimately becomes another Bruce Smith, but if he ends up having a career more like the one Ray Childeress had, can you live with that ?

Brando
08-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Good point, which raises an interesting question.
I hope Mario ultimately becomes another Bruce Smith, but if he ends up having a career more like the one Ray Childeress had, can you live with that ?

I can live with him being like Ray Childress, but I want him to be better than that. Speaking of Bruce Smith, he didn't have a "great" first year either. 6.5 sacks is what he had his first year. I hope he breaks out in his 2nd year as well and records 15 sacks.

Disclaimer:Not that they are the same type rushers but just the #1 overall pick in general.

TheRealJoker
08-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Another thing that people are overlooking this preseason is the fact that Mario just might be a slow starter. He hasn't played more than like 3 series in each game, he might just turn it on later in the game when he's more comfortable.

Porky
08-22-2007, 12:44 PM

Agreed. I think Mario Williams = Jason Lane

Granted, Lane is not the overall physical talent or had the hype of being a #1 overall pick, but I have heard Garner and some commentators mention that much of Lane's issues are between the ears. He over analyzes, over thinks, has too many chefs in the kitchen type of problem. This causes him to be thinking too much during his AB's, rather than letting his natural atheltic talent and muscle memory take over.

At this point, perhaps the best thing they can do is to make things as simple as possible, rather than trying to "over coach" him because the fans are demanding that the coaches do something. That might not be easy for coaches who are paid to get the best out of each guy, but it might be the wisest for now. Then, when/if he start to see some success, slowly spoon feed him more.

Right now, Mario is like a derailed train. We are hoping he still makes it to the next train station on time, meanwhile, he is turned over off the tracks, and on fire. First let's put out the fire, then see if we can get him upright. Then, see if he can move slowly along the track, and if all that goes well, he will be a train nobody can stop.

(ok how's that for my half-full homer take:devilpig:)

TexansCM
08-22-2007, 12:50 PM
When Mario was in college he could afford to get by on his size and speed. Now that is not the case and he has to work on his moves. But even more than that he needs to learn how to setup the guys blocking him and learn to feel and sense what the Olineman's next move is. Once he learns this he again will not need a perfect swim or rip to beat his man he will be able to rely on his size and speed.

Mario just needs to setup the lineman and then use quick move based on what the lineman is doing. A rip and Reggie White style club are all Mario needs, maybe mix the swim and and bullrush in once in a while, but dump the spin. It only works if the olineman is way off balance or if you want to make a play on the RB or QB after they have taken off past you or are headed that way.

2BCF
08-22-2007, 01:10 PM
I hope he shows us something this weekend.

I'd hate to think that it's a situation where the money came too much and too early.

eriadoc
08-22-2007, 01:17 PM
This all goes back to the same issue we've been fighting as fans for a long time. Where do you direct your frustration?

Mario Williams has not lived up to #1 pick overall expectations, especially given the physical specimen that he is. So, he's a project, at least to some degree (we'll see how much of one he is, I suppose). Being frustrated with the organization for taking a guy #1 that probably shouldn't have been is understandable. They were the ones that (potentially) made the mistake. But all this speculation and hyperbole about Mario's attitude, work ethic, and motivation is a result of misplaced frustration, IMO. The guy, to me, seems to be trying his best to listen to the coaches, do everything that's expected of him, in an effort to "live up to" the huge payday that he lucked into. In reality, he probably should just pin his ears back and go get the QB, but he's trying to be the good employee, so to speak. At any rate, I don't question his motivation, desire, or work ethic - just his results. And if listening to the coaches, counting your steps, and trying to be technical isn't working for you, Mario, then just use your God-given talent to go out and blow someone up. The coaches will get on you for overrunning your lane, and the offensive linemen will adjust to your bull rushes, but you'll learn by experience. In the meantime, you'll wreak a little havoc, make teams adjust to your play, and win some fans over.

Some posters here have just been pulling things out of their other orifice, though, regarding his desire, motivation, work ethic, or whatever. Lay off the hyperbole and go get a decaf or something. <-- not directed at anyone in particular, but if the shoe fits ....

Vinny
08-22-2007, 01:23 PM
This all goes back to the same issue we've been fighting as fans for a long time. Where do you direct your frustration?

Mario Williams has not lived up to #1 pick overall expectations, especially given the physical specimen that he is. So, he's a project, at least to some degree (we'll see how much of one he is, I suppose). Being frustrated with the organization for taking a guy #1 that probably shouldn't have been is understandable. They were the ones that (potentially) made the mistakeI agree with this. I personally think that our fans just want what other NFL fans have....a team that can reach the playoffs in our lifetime (sarcasm alert). Failed 1st overall picks are one of the things that teams like the Cardinals and Bengals of the 90's have in common with us. Most fans of most teams can expect to make the playoffs within a couple of years of having a bad team, but we are going on year 6 and we haven't even had a winning season...so until we do, top prospects that are not playing well will get the brunt of the frustration. I think you are right that much of it is unfair...but that's how it is everywhere in the NFL when fans pay the same amount of money in Houston as they do in other NFL cities and walk out of the stadium unhappy the majority of the time....for years on end.

tulexan
08-22-2007, 01:30 PM
I don't think he is dumb, it sounds like they just have too many people trying to tell him different things to do ala Peter from Office Space.

Vinny
08-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Several folks have made comments like he is "swimming in information" and that he's "thinking too much."

Wouldn't that indicate that perhaps he doesn't have the mental faculties to be able to perform at this level? I'm by no means trying to hate on MW, just wondering if he's got the snap to play at this next level.

It doesn't seem that he's got very good capacity for learning if things like these are difficult for him. It also seems that he doesn't have terribly good instincts either. Unfortunately if he's always gotten by at a lower level on natural ability and no instincts or deeper understanding of the specifics of the game...now he's playing with guys that ALL have natural ability and MOST have natural instincts and it's very well documented that most/many of the O-linemen are some of the most intelligent guys on the field. Sounds to me that he's most definitely getting not only out played but out thought as well. Seems that he's been VERY easy to develop a gameplan for and to make him a non factor.

Is it possible that it's more than just psychological...that it's an intelligence thing?

If the dumbest man on the face of the planet can get a good pass rush...then Mario can.

http://www.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2006/09/dextermanleyposter.jpg

real
08-22-2007, 01:33 PM
And XT by out of position you mean switching him once again to the other end, his pad level will be just as high and his steps just as wrong on the other side.

That's true.

But in the end it won't matter if he is a more effective player.

I noticed in college he was lined up a lot at the LDE position a lot too..

That's where he made a good bulk of his standout plays from last season as well...

swtbound07
08-22-2007, 01:38 PM
i've seen enough. im convinced. How does a 3 year, 8mill extension sound?

Honoring Earl 34
08-22-2007, 01:39 PM
I agree with this. I personally think that our fans just want what other NFL fans have....a team that can reach the playoffs in our lifetime (sarcasm alert). Failed 1st overall picks are one of the things that teams like the Cardinals and Bengals of the 90's have in common with us. Most fans of most teams can expect to make the playoffs within a couple of years of having a bad team, but we are going on year 6 and we haven't even had a winning season...so until we do, top prospects that are not playing well will get the brunt of the frustration. I think you are right that much of it is unfair...but that's how it is everywhere in the NFL when fans pay the same amount of money in Houston as they do in other NFL cities and walk out of the stadium unhappy the majority of the time....for years on end.

Tim Couch / Courtney Brown

Ki Jana Carter / Dan Wilkinson

David Carr / Mario Williams

Vinny Testeverde / Bo Jackson

Terry Bradshaw / #4 1st rd Mean Joe green

eriadoc
08-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Several folks have made comments like he is "swimming in information" and that he's "thinking too much."

Wouldn't that indicate that perhaps he doesn't have the mental faculties to be able to perform at this level? I'm by no means trying to hate on MW, just wondering if he's got the snap to play at this next level.

It doesn't seem that he's got very good capacity for learning if things like these are difficult for him. It also seems that he doesn't have terribly good instincts either. Unfortunately if he's always gotten by at a lower level on natural ability and no instincts or deeper understanding of the specifics of the game...now he's playing with guys that ALL have natural ability and MOST have natural instincts and it's very well documented that most/many of the O-linemen are some of the most intelligent guys on the field. Sounds to me that he's most definitely getting not only out played but out thought as well. Seems that he's been VERY easy to develop a gameplan for and to make him a non factor.

Is it possible that it's more than just psychological...that it's an intelligence thing?

I've trained people in martial arts for quite a long time now, and I can tell you, people do not learn new things that quickly. As a teacher, you just keep throwing the same concepts out there, and then reinforce them through physical application. But watching someone try to physically apply new concepts is very revealing of where they stand. It becomes very mechanical, and at full speed, the student freezes while their brain tries to decide what to do.

In the military, they hammer you with concepts, all the while depriving you of sleep. When you start to perform your responsibility without thinking (the purpose of sleep deprivation), they know you've internalized it, at least to some degree. It doesn't happen overnight.

The main difference, in this case, is that Mario was a #1 overall pick, on a team that has never achieved success, taken ahead of RB and VY, in the midst of the Carr debacle, after several years of Casserly and Capers making bad decisions. So fans are impatient, unreasonably so, and expect him to come in and light it up right away. And some players do, which exacerbates the problem. But the situations aren't necessarily the same, in terms of what he's being asked to do at a technical level, as an every-down DE.

I don't know any of what Mario is going through or being asked to do at a technical level, but I do know how the human brain works, in terms of internalizing and performing. Mario is too mechanical right now, which tells me he's trying to think and trying to do what he's been told. And for someone who is in his situation, that might make sense, given that he's trying to be the good employee and do what he's told. From a performance standpoint, he needs to do what he knows as he internalizes the rest.

Honoring Earl 34
08-22-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm not really trying to make a point that MW is dumb per-sa...rather is it a possibility that he's a little too slow and perhaps the best coaching that he can get during the preseason is, "Just go and play FOOTBALL!" You know what I mean? Just go and try to hurt someone and let's see where we should go from here.

Not so much of...

A little higher...
Nope that's too high...
Now you're too low...
Left foot up two inches...
No I said two inches...
Well you moved your right foot...
Now put your right foot back...
Well you've moved your left foot again...
What are you doing that high...
Well that's just too low...
You've moved your feet again...

JUST FLIPPIN' GO AND HIT SOMETHING REALLY REALLY HARD!!!

I think that he should just destroy the QB on the first pass play this week. I don't care if he gets ejected from the game because he ran 13 steps to hit him after the ball was thrown. Just flippin' get the taste in your mouth to hurt someone MW.
::obvious sarcasm::

Not to be Dr Phil but did'nt Mario's roomate at NC state say that Mario was a neat freak . Does'nt this mean he is detail oriented or over thinking ?

eriadoc
08-22-2007, 02:01 PM
But Doc the problem with this analogy of teaching martial arts is that you are teaching (I'd assume) in many cases...BEGINNERS!

You're not trying to teach Chuck Norris or Jackie Chan how to simply modify an approach. You are teaching people that have little or no concept on what they are doing.

MW isn't in a new world. He's a professional football player and according to our front office...the best one that was available in last years draft. Not trying to turn this into a VY or RB thread because it isn't necessary but those guys went into systems that they weren't completely familiar with from college to pros and they seemed to have done ok. (Not a RB or VY homer btw)

The point is if the guy doesn't have either the skills or the capacity to learn the skills...then WHY did we draft him #1 of 1???

Well, the analogy doesn't fit 100%, I'll give you that, but I wasn't trying for an exact match. The overriding point was to point out how people react when they are trying to do something that they haven't internalized. Watch someone trying to learn (or even modify) a golf swing. They sit there and mutter to themselves, "OK, address the ball, bend your knees, shift the weight back, keep the elbow straight", etc. etc. etc. Same thing here. Now, granted, Mario should know some things already, but what he knows, and feels comfortable with, is precisely what so many posters here have complained about - he bull rushes. That's what he knows, that's what he does. He doesn't have think about anything, he just uses all 6'7" and 300 lbs. and goes after the QB. Now, the coaches are trying to teach him how to do some other things, and he's very mechanical trying to do it.

So, in a sense, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he only bull rushes, he's not going to be as successful as a #1 pick should be, and if he takes the time to learn technique, he's not going to make an impact as fast as a #1 pick should. To answer your question about why he was taken #1 overall, I personally firmly believe that teams will take a physical specimen #1 overall that might not know everything he needs to know, instead of a less physically gifted guy that "gets it" because they think they can coach them up and have an All Pro player. Honestly, Demeco Ryans would have been taken #1 overall if he had the football smarts that he had as a rookie, if only he had possessed size, speed, and combine measurables. It's frustrating to watch, as a fan, but the frustration should be directed at the organization (or, the NFL in general, actually), and not the player. If players had control over where they were drafted, you can bet Quinn wouldn't have sat around in the draft room as long as he did this year ;)

eriadoc
08-22-2007, 02:14 PM
I understand what you're saying about taking time to learn stuff, and I don't disagree. I guess that what I'm saying is that professional athletes are the very best in their field. They are the preverbial cream of the crop. The best that high school has to offer goes to college...the best that college has to offer goes to the pros and the BEST that the pros has to offer are the starters! It doesn't really seem to fit in MW's case though.

Some people can truly excel in this type of environment...see Demeco! Some people just never really get it when they are heralded as "the one that will be an immediate impact so we can beat Peyton Manning." I just don't understand much of the logic that is associated with much of what our FO does.
::sighs and thinks to self what an understatement that is!::

Yep.

That's the frustration that I feel as a fan. I have to make a conscious effort to direct that frustration properly. Mario, whatever his merits or problems, didn't draft himself. I send letters to the Texans all the time. I am probably one of their more outspoken PSL holders, much to their chagrin, I'm sure.

For the record, at the time, I would have drafted D'Brick Ferguson #1 overall, and everyone be damned. And I would have been the only team in the NFL with him #1 on my board, and I would have a pretty decent LT right now. Sure, I might have tried to trade down, but if no one bit, I would have still taken him. I guess that's why I don't run an NFL team ;)

In hindsight, Ryans is shaping up to be the best player from that draft, IMO. So ..... what does anyone know?

threetoedpete
08-22-2007, 02:16 PM
I've trained people in martial arts for quite a long time now, and I can tell you, people do not learn new things that quickly. As a teacher, you just keep throwing the same concepts out there, and then reinforce them through physical application. But watching someone try to physically apply new concepts is very revealing of where they stand. It becomes very mechanical, and at full speed, the student freezes while their brain tries to decide what to do.

In the military, they hammer you with concepts, all the while depriving you of sleep. When you start to perform your responsibility without thinking (the purpose of sleep deprivation), they know you've internalized it, at least to some degree. It doesn't happen overnight.

The main difference, in this case, is that Mario was a #1 overall pick, on a team that has never achieved success, taken ahead of RB and VY, in the midst of the Carr debacle, after several years of Casserly and Capers making bad decisions. So fans are impatient, unreasonably so, and expect him to come in and light it up right away. And some players do, which exacerbates the problem. But the situations aren't necessarily the same, in terms of what he's being asked to do at a technical level, as an every-down DE.

I don't know any of what Mario is going through or being asked to do at a technical level, but I do know how the human brain works, in terms of internalizing and performing. Mario is too mechanical right now, which tells me he's trying to think and trying to do what he's been told. And for someone who is in his situation, that might make sense, given that he's trying to be the good employee and do what he's told. From a performance standpoint, he needs to do what he knows as he internalizes the rest.

Well that's a rep nice post.

Errant Hothy
08-22-2007, 02:21 PM
I understand what you're saying about taking time to learn stuff, and I don't disagree. I guess that what I'm saying is that professional athletes are the very best in their field. They are the preverbial cream of the crop. The best that high school has to offer goes to college...the best that college has to offer goes to the pros and the BEST that the pros has to offer are the starters! It doesn't really seem to fit in MW's case though.

Some people can truly excel in this type of environment...see Demeco! Some people just never really get it when they are heralded as "the one that will be an immediate impact so we can beat Peyton Manning." I just don't understand much of the logic that is associated with much of what our FO does.
::sighs and thinks to self what an understatement that is!::

In the same vein of thought so are the other team's players. Who are paid just as well, are every bit as talented and want to win just as bad.

Honoring Earl 34
08-22-2007, 02:31 PM
In the same vein of thought so are the other team's players. Who are paid just as well, are every bit as talented and want to win just as bad.

I think that's the key ... desire . You can make up for a lack of talent if you have the want to . Mario has plenty of talent , now stop thinking and squish Romo .

threetoedpete
08-22-2007, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=Vinny;716791]If the dumbest man on the face of the planet can get a good pass rush...then Mario can.

lol to funny vinny. I don't think he's dumb. Just info shock.

Look if you're a beast in college doesn't nessicarily mean you automatically translate into being a beast in the pros. It should be obvious at this point the guy was drafted with the future in mind. all of the baggage things were out there for anyone to see. And yet he was still rated as the best d player on the '06 draft board. Not just on the Texan's board , but on a lot of peoples boards. If they have to wait a bit for that potential to turn into sacks and destruction, we just have to wait. Different poeple learn in different ways and with different methods. And I believe that is true and why I reped the guy. O.K. he isn't Reggie White out of the box. But he isn't dead yet either. I'm just tired of the "we should of" hindsight spin. Let Franklin and Bush work with the man and let's see what happens.

powerfuldragon
08-22-2007, 02:33 PM
If the dumbest man on the face of the planet can get a good pass rush...then Mario can.

http://www.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2006/09/dextermanleyposter.jpg

... but he had such a cool name.

Honoring Earl 34
08-22-2007, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=Vinny;716791]If the dumbest man on the face of the planet can get a good pass rush...then Mario can.

lol to funny vinny. I don't think he's dumb. Just info shock.

Look if you're a beast in college doesn't nessicarily mean you automatically translate into being a beast in the pros. It should be obvious at this point the guy was drafted with the future in mind. all of the baggage things were out there for anyone to see. And yet he was still rated as the best d player on the '06 draft board. Not just on the Texan's board , but on a lot of peoples boards. If they have to wait a bit for that potential to turn into sacks and destruction, we just have to wait. Different poeple learn in different ways and with different methods. And I believe that is true and why I reped the guy. O.K. he isn't Reggie White out of the box. But he isn't dead yet either. I'm just tired of the "we should of" hindsight spin. Let Franklin and Bush work with the man and let's see what happens.

I think people forget Reggie White spent two years in the USFL .

Deacon Jones was , I think a 15th round draft pick who wanted a job real bad . In fact he was scouted by mistake , the Rams were looking at film of a RB when he was ran down by a DT ( Deacon Jones ) .

Mario go buy yourself a beat up Chevy and pretend that you play every game for you and your family's next meal ... that should work .

DBCooper
08-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Zen Proverb:

Before, a rock was just a rock.

As I studied the rocks, there were many different kinds of rocks.

As I mastered the rocks, a rock is just a rock.

Just get the man with the ball, Mario!

The Pencil Neck
08-22-2007, 02:55 PM
<snip>

You can easily get paralysis by analysis regardless of your IQ when you're doing something physical.

I worked with a powerlifting coach for awhile, and he was always careful not to overload his lifters with too many changes to their form. Because if you tell someone to change too many things at once, their lifts fall apart. Doesn't matter how smart you are, your brain just shuts down and you start doing it the bad way again OR even worse.

I've seen the same thing with guitar players when they're cleaning up their technique. A guy might play OK with some really funky style problems, start correcting those problems, and everything fall to pieces until he gets everything under control again.

The worst it's ever happened to me was when I switched from a Kenpo to Taekwondo dojo. At my first dojo, I was trained that when you see someone start to come up with a high kick, you jam the kick. At the second dojo, the teacher wanted me to back away but every time I started to see a kick in sparring, I jammed (and started using elbows and sweeps). So he started screaming at me during sparring. And I kept jamming and he kept screaming at me. Until finally, my brain locked. I saw a guy about to kick and I didn't jam but I didn't move back either, I just put my hand up and caught his shin on my thumb and broke my thumb. Brain lock.

Too many people may have told Mario too many different things and he MAY be trying so hard to incorporate it all that it's all falling to pieces right now. Hopefully he'll get it together.

BUT...

He's also only had about 3 quarters worth of playing time. Although I'd like to see him tearing it up and throwing people around and dominating every play, most guys don't get a sack per game let alone a sack per 3 quarters. Let's give him some more time.

I'm not going to get onto him until the 3rd regular season game. :)

Double Barrel
08-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Some posters here have just been pulling things out of their other orifice, though, regarding his desire, motivation, work ethic, or whatever.

If that orifice contains some of his college and pro coaches...

It was a Texans coach that said at training camp a couple of weeks ago that said he had to piss of Mario to make him play better. It was his college coach that referred to the defensive line as "soft serve".

The seeds of the 'motivation angle' were planted by those that are trying to coach him and are now watered by the local media. I don't think it's been manufactured by the public as much as the average fan is trying to grasp at any reason(s) why another Texans first overall pick is a long-term project and has minimal immediate impact on the field.

I say give him time, because honestly, what else can we do? idonno:

eriadoc
08-22-2007, 03:03 PM
You can easily get paralysis by analysis regardless of your IQ when you're doing something physical.

I worked with a powerlifting coach for awhile, and he was always careful not to overload his lifters with too many changes to their form. Because if you tell someone to change too many things at once, their lifts fall apart. Doesn't matter how smart you are, your brain just shuts down and you start doing it the bad way again OR even worse.

I've seen the same thing with guitar players when they're cleaning up their technique. A guy might play OK with some really funky style problems, start correcting those problems, and everything fall to pieces until he gets everything under control again.

The worst it's ever happened to me was when I switched from a Kenpo to Taekwondo dojo. At my first dojo, I was trained that when you see someone start to come up with a high kick, you jam the kick. At the second dojo, the teacher wanted me to back away but every time I started to see a kick in sparring, I jammed (and started using elbows and sweeps). So he started screaming at me during sparring. And I kept jamming and he kept screaming at me. Until finally, my brain locked. I saw a guy about to kick and I didn't jam but I didn't move back either, I just put my hand up and caught his shin on my thumb and broke my thumb. Brain lock.

QFT. These examples convey the point I was trying to get across perfectly.

CloakNNNdagger
08-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Well said, hopefully a coach will just grab him by the face mask and till him that his only purpose is to get the QB, screw everything else.

Bruce Lee in response to being asked why his moves were so quick and accurate used to say in his interviews: "If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done."

Mario........you're not being paid so much to think as you are to react.

HotRodsHair
08-22-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm pulling for Mario to be a terror this year, as I'm sure most of you are as well. If anything the weight of expectation has got to be almost paralyzing for him.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that he is still a very young player. Bruce Smith is the best example of a guy in his same situation, and Bruce was demoted to the bench for several games his first season because he wasn't producing. That seemed to really ignite him.

Show some patience. Mario is bound to hit a big play very soon and when he does you might see an entire city erupt behind him.

HJam72
08-22-2007, 06:07 PM
In response to the Mario-ticked-off-in-practice thing from a few weeks ago, maybe when he got ticked off he finally just left technique out the door and shoved his guy out of the way. It would fit with what you guys are talking about, but he still needs to learn technique in the long run....well, I think. :)

Runner
08-22-2007, 06:22 PM
I've been thinking about Mario for some reason. He had all those great "explosive measures" at the combine, but they aren’t apparent on the field.

The explosive measures at the combine are things like the standing broad jump. This is simply the measure of how far he jumps – it does not try to compute how fast he responds to a stimulus to jump, as far as I know. He stands, he jumps, they measure. Football is not like that. In a football game he has to be explosive at the time of an external stimulus – the snap.

An interesting example of a player with a similar weakness on the Texans is … Charles Spencer. In pre-season and in the regular season games there were times when he was noticeably slow coming off the snap. He did a lot of other things very well, but he was slow off the snap. There was a time in the pre-season where Pitts was moving Spencer’s direction on the snap, and I thought Chester was going to run him over before Charles got his had off the ground. 21 guys on the field were moving and Charles was still in his stance. In fact, this slowness off the snap contributed to his injury. He responded slowly on that play, and that allowed the defensive end to push him into the backfield where Dayne ran into him.

Spencer has this weakness and he knows the snap count. I think Williams has the same thing, and is at a further disadvantage since he doesn’t know the count. Add that to his raw technique, and o-lineman can handle him pretty easily. They get time to set up and don’t have much to adjust to once engaged.

ObsiWan
08-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Bruce Lee in response to being asked why his moves were so quick and accurate used to say in his interviews: "If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done."

...but the people who are being paid to coach him are telling him to do things a certain way, which calls for thinking. So he IS getting paid to think.

CloakNNNdagger
08-22-2007, 07:40 PM
...but the people who are being paid to coach him are telling him to do things a certain way, which calls for thinking. So he IS getting paid to think.

Not so far. I like Mario's potential, but he's getting paid a lot so far for not having done a lot of thinking or reacting. I expect this change will be coming before the KC game..........more like, for the Girlies.:cowboy1:

kiwitexansfan
08-22-2007, 07:40 PM
I think after hearing Okoye saying he needs to go back to how he played in College that our young 1st rounders are trying to hard to be everything they are supposed to be.

I don't questions either players desire to be great but I think they are to caught up on doing what they think they should rather than doing what they can do.

NFLforher
08-22-2007, 07:54 PM

Concerned.

Runner
08-22-2007, 08:01 PM

Worse. About as bad as I felt when I read Kubiak said that Mario has to get better at recognizing down and distance. First, second, third; two yards, five yards, ten yards - those football concepts.

Kaiser Toro
08-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Worse. About as bad as I felt when I read Kubiak said that Mario has to get better at recognizing down and distance. First, second, third; two yards, five yards, ten yards - those football concepts.

Academy is having a sale on tar, feathers, torches, cauldrons and battering rams all with the Texans logo. Free David Carr jerseys and a pair of Isotoner gloves go to the first 50 customers of said items.

Runner
08-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Academy is having a sale on tar, feathers, torches, cauldrons and battering rams all with the Texans logo. Free David Carr jerseys and a pair of Isotoner gloves go to the first 50 customers of said items.

You can't tar and feather excuses - I am more tired of them than Mario's less than stellar play. I don't want to be indurate about it, but each "reason" they throw out there makes him sound worse. They either need to:
a) fix their spin machine so stupid stuff quits coming out of it
b) say that they are working on Mario's game so he continues to improve to the level they expect from him
c) say they like his game as it is
d) say nothing at all.

I wouldn't mind taking a battering ram to their spin machine, if it could be isolated.

Honoring Earl 34
08-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Anybody see this .

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/08/22/rodney-harrison-steamrolls-vince-young/

Kaiser Toro
08-22-2007, 08:30 PM
You can't tar and feather excuses - I am more tired of them than Mario's less than stellar play. I don't want to be indurate about it, but each "reason" they throw out there makes him sound worse. They either need to:
a) fix their spin machine so stupid stuff quits coming out of it
b) say that they are working on Mario's game so he continues to improve to the level they expect from him
c) say they like his game as it is
d) say nothing at all.

I wouldn't mind taking a battering ram to their spin machine, if it could be isolated.

I tend to think it is A. Maybe someone in the community can speak to what is going on, if anything, with the PR deaprtment. Perhaps they are dedicating more resources to generate content on the HT site?

Make sure you get some gloves for the battering ram.

Double Barrel
08-22-2007, 08:35 PM

I went to Academy to purchase these items for the Dallas game, but they've sold out. But they promised me a raincheck on some pitchforks with the Texans logo on it, so I guess that's something.

However, they have lots of ice chests on sale to keep the koolaide cold. Seems people have lost their taste for it recently, though. Optimism is a four letter word x2 these days.

Runner is making me look up words again. "Indurate" is the word of the evening.

edo783
08-22-2007, 08:42 PM
That may very well be the case. I'm with Marcus--bad results don't mean a lack of effort. Analysis paralysis can really slow you down.

Someone mentioned that in the last game he seemed to be looking at his feet all the time. What ya want to bet the training session that week had something in it about footwork? Kind of like when you first learn to dance you watch your feet all the time. I suspect that as soon as the kid stops over thinking it he will get where we would like him to be.

real
08-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Someone mentioned that in the last game he seemed to be looking at his feet all the time. What ya want to bet the training session that week had something in it about footwork? Kind of like when you first learn to dance you watch your feet all the time. I suspect that as soon as the kid stops over thinking it he will get where we would like him to be.

That worries me....

It's a game...your juices should be flowing......The guy in front of you would like nothing more than to catch you slipping and knock your block off...He's sweating, you're sweating....you can feel the heat from his breath...It's the heat of battle......

.... and you're looking down at your feet? :crazy:

I didn't see Mario looking down a whole lot, personally...

What I did see was a guy who just looked totally uncomfortable with what he was doing...

I think a lot of it might be mental, but I think a little bit of it also has to do with the fact that he's not quick nor explosive off the ball...He can overcome that with better technique and more 'heady' play, but I am just worried about his rate of progression in those areas....

I don't understand how you can work all summer, slim down, have all that animosity pinned inside from the RB VY talk, and come out so flat....THAT worries me....If Mario doesn't show improvement against the girls I think the Texans seriously need to think about changing his position...

BattleRedToro
08-22-2007, 08:55 PM
If Mario doesn't show improvement against the girls I think the Texans seriously need to think about changing his position...

To LDE?

real
08-22-2007, 09:01 PM
To LDE?

Yep...

Koolaid Time
08-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Analysis paralysis can really slow you down.

Everyone in the world is trying to "help" him and it is all freaking him out. Media isn't helping either..

Honoring Earl 34
08-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Yep...

I vote for it . I'd start Babin and maybe Charlie Anderson at RDE on passing downs .

I guess Weaver goes into the rotation .

ObsiWan
08-22-2007, 09:06 PM
That worries me....

It's a game...your juices should be flowing......The guy in front of you would like nothing more than to catch you slipping and knock your block off...He's sweating, you're sweating....you can feel the heat from his breath...It's the heat of battle......

.... and you're looking down at your feet? :crazy:

I didn't see Mario looking down a whole lot, personally...

What I did see was a guy who just looked totally uncomfortable with what he was doing...

I think a lot of it might be mental, but I think a little bit of it also has to do with the fact that he's not quick nor explosive off the ball...He can overcome that with better technique and more 'heady' play, but I am just worried about his rate of progression in those areas....

I don't understand how you can work all summer, slim down, have all that animosity pinned inside from the RB VY talk, and come out so flat....THAT worries me....If Mario doesn't show improvement against the girls I think the Texans seriously need to think about changing his position...

Why do you think he has this "animosity" inside? I haven't seen any Mario quotes that indicate he's all torn up about it. After all, he was drafted ahead of both of them.

real
08-22-2007, 09:07 PM
Charlie Anderson at RDE on passing downs .

Thanks for mentioning that...

Charlie looked really good to me playing DE against the Cards....

I'd like to see what Orr could bring from that position as well...

real
08-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Why do you think he has this "animosity" inside? I haven't seen any Mario quotes that indicate he's all torn up about it. After all, he was drafted ahead of both of them.

You're right....

I guess I just figured that a guy who was mocked all season and called Sam Bowie, and "that guy chosen ahead of VY and RB", and told stories about how Reggie was gonna be our pick but (insert your version here), would have had some kind of fire and desire built up inside and come out trying to prove people wrong...

I know a lot of great players who feed off of things like that...

Maybe I'm wrong...Maybe he's like totally chillin, and could care less about all of that stuff....

Silver Oak
08-22-2007, 09:24 PM
after reading the Mario threads but not posting my thoughts...

If he didn't care, would he have spent the offseason here in town working out, losing weight, and taking care of himself? I realize the difference between working out and taking it to the field, but to question what's in a mans heart is a suspect practice.

Like everyone, or at least the true Texan fans, I want to see more from Mario. But unlike some, I'm willing to give him time.

real
08-22-2007, 09:30 PM
but to question what's in a mans heart is a suspect practice.

I haven't seen anyone question his heart, but he IS a grown man....

Maybe he came out so flat this past weekend because he was coddled so much after his lousy showing in the first game...

Maybe if people had gotten on his arse then he'd have come out with more fire...

Mario is a multimillion dollar professional athlete...He should know what comes with the territory...

eriadoc
08-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Anybody see this .

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/08/22/rodney-harrison-steamrolls-vince-young/

Not to hijack a thread, but does anyone know how to take a clip from that and make it into an avatar? I would totally change my avatar to that if I could. And I'd probably sit around watching it all day, LOL.

If anyone knows how to do it, or can point me in the right direction, PM me, please, so as to not further hijack this thread. Now, back to your regularly scheduled Mario bashing .....

Wolf
08-22-2007, 10:57 PM

I didn't read all the threads. however

I did read a study about golfers and the good ones..I honestly can't quote verbatim but it when like this

"the ones with the quiet minds did better than the ones that analyzed everything"

I guess that goes with confidence.. and when you are up there doing your thing.. things fall in place..if you are thinking,thinking,thinking..you are second guessing everyting and you slow down and then you basically don't do much

Htownsportsfan
08-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Damn it let Hypno Bro do his magic and let Mario visualize his success!

Kaiser Toro
08-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Damn it let Hypno Bro do his magic and let Mario visualize his success!

That is comedy. We need a smilie for Hypno Bro. We're talking franchise here.

JohnsonFan
08-23-2007, 01:15 AM
mabey mario should go change stuff himself