PDA

View Full Version : Eagles release Trotter

Kaiser Toro
08-21-2007, 11:23 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2984329

Four-time Pro Bowl middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter will be job-hunting in the coming days after being released by the Philadelphia Eagles on Tuesday.

A nine-year veteran, Trotter was informed of his status in a meeting with coach Andy Reid. The Eagles suggested that the now-unrestricted free agent consider retirement, but the 30-year-old's preference is to continue playing in the league. Trotter's release will become official when his name appears on the NFL's internal transactions wire this afternoon.

"Jeremiah is one of my favorite guys," Reid said in a statement Tuesday. "There's no question that this is the toughest part of this job. He and I met about this [Monday] night and it was very emotional for the both of us. Jeremiah and I have been together for many years and he's played a vital role in helping this team win a lot of football games."

hobie
08-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Depending on his salary requirements, I would love for the Texans to bring him in....his skills and aggressive play and leadership would add alot to this young team...that also depends on his physical. If he is healthy, and available, bring him in.. I would like that addition to the team if he passes all of the teams requirements !!

Texan_Bill
08-21-2007, 11:56 AM
I wonder if he would be willing to move outside.... say the Will. :hmmm:

Look out Morlon Greenwood...

HOU-TEX
08-21-2007, 12:00 PM
I wonder if he would be willing to move outside.... say the Will. :hmmm:

Look out Morlon Greenwood...

I'd think he'd be more of a SAM than a WILL. I don't know.:specnatz:

real
08-21-2007, 12:00 PM
As much as I want Morlon gone, I'd rather not replace him with Trotter...

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Bringing in Trotter would be like signing Sam Cowart all over again.

gary
08-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Bring in the Trotter:texflag: :texflag: :texflag: :texflag: :texflag:

Errant Hothy
08-21-2007, 12:56 PM
As much as I want Morlon gone, I'd rather not replace him with Trotter...

Bringing in Trotter would be like signing Sam Cowart all over again.

There it is.

Ryan
08-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Bring in the Trotter:texflag: :texflag: :texflag: :texflag: :texflag:

what he said:texflag:

and he also was born in texas and played college football for SFA. I think he would like to play here.

eriadoc
08-21-2007, 03:50 PM
I know next to nothing about Trotter. Ha shis game slipped in recent years? Or is this more of a monetary or chemistry move? If he still has game, I'd like the Texans to take a look, but yeah, I am just about completely over the retread signings. Still he has to be better than Orr/Anderson, right?

Ryan
08-21-2007, 03:59 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4480

he had 113 tackles last year...he's probably lost a step or two but knows how to get to the ballcarrier

The Pencil Neck
08-21-2007, 04:19 PM
I know next to nothing about Trotter. Ha shis game slipped in recent years? Or is this more of a monetary or chemistry move? If he still has game, I'd like the Texans to take a look, but yeah, I am just about completely over the retread signings. Still he has to be better than Orr/Anderson, right?

My biggest problem with Trotter is that he's an Eagle. Eagle defensive players have a weird tendency to go to other teams and underperform. Trotter didn't look good in his years with the Redskins and Hugh Douglas didn't look good with the Jags.

He's also getting kinda old and he's a weird player. Unless he's dropped weight recently, he's like a 300# Mike. He plays the run really well and he's surprisingly nimble for his size. But... he IS getting old.

I don't think he'd start here unless we move Demeco to the outside. I don't know that we want to do that.

eriadoc
08-21-2007, 04:42 PM
My biggest problem with Trotter is that he's an Eagle. Eagle defensive players have a weird tendency to go to other teams and underperform. Trotter didn't look good in his years with the Redskins and Hugh Douglas didn't look good with the Jags.

He's also getting kinda old and he's a weird player. Unless he's dropped weight recently, he's like a 300# Mike. He plays the run really well and he's surprisingly nimble for his size. But... he IS getting old.

I don't think he'd start here unless we move Demeco to the outside. I don't know that we want to do that.

Wasn't Corey Simon an Eagle that went to the Colts? I could be remembering wrong.

At any rate, after takling to a couple Iggle fans I know, they tell me that he isn't fast enough to move outside, but he's been playing well in preseason and TC. So they're perplexed by the cut, but it doesn't look like it would be a fit for the Texans.

FWIW.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-21-2007, 05:00 PM
The Eagles asked him to retire because they thought he couldn't play anymore. He refused so they cut him. That's all we need to know.

The Pencil Neck
08-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Wasn't Corey Simon an Eagle that went to the Colts? I could be remembering wrong.

At any rate, after takling to a couple Iggle fans I know, they tell me that he isn't fast enough to move outside, but he's been playing well in preseason and TC. So they're perplexed by the cut, but it doesn't look like it would be a fit for the Texans.

FWIW.

ND Kalu, as well. But, I didn't say it was a rule, just a tendency.

HuttoKarl
08-21-2007, 05:53 PM
He's got bad knees.

PapaL
08-21-2007, 06:35 PM
He's a MLB; we have one of those.

texasguy346
08-21-2007, 10:35 PM
The Eagles asked him to retire because they thought he couldn't play anymore. He refused so they cut him. That's all we need to know.

I'll just add that the only reason the Eagles kept him this long is his ability to help stop the run game. I think it was the year before last where there was a breakdown of the Eagles' run defense with Trotter in the game and with him out of the game. There was a huge difference if I recall.

Bottom line is he's not what the Texans need.

Second Honeymoon
08-22-2007, 01:24 PM
I would have no problem adding Trotter to our team. The guy is exactly the type of guy we need on our team.

He will end up going to a championship contender me thinks.

We need more vocal players and guys that play with more heart. Trotter could also really help show Ryans some veteran tricks and a lot of expertise about tendencies and reading plays.

The Pencil Neck
08-22-2007, 03:33 PM
i can't see a reason to add another player at lb. it's among our deepest positions where depth is concerned.

plus if pencil neck is right with then why add another eagle at lb? don't we already have one in barber?

And how has Barber looked so far? I see by the stat line that he's made a couple of tackles but I don't really remember him out on the field. They were talking about using him and Demeco in the nickle. And I seem to recall Barber straining a bicep or something in the Bears game.

Goldensilence
08-22-2007, 03:38 PM
As an Eagles fan this kind of came as a suprise to myself. He's good against the run and sheds blocks well and that's why he's played so well in Philly. Jim Johnson runs a pretty exotic blitzing scheme which is why i think there's a tendency for some former Eagles players to level off after leaving. There are of course exceptions like Kalu and Burgess in Oakland.

I like the vocal presence he'd bring but i doubt we give him a look. I don't think the guy is too over the hill physically just he'd need to find a situation that would best suit what he does. The Giants have been weak at LB and it wouldn't suprise me to see him want to play for an in-divison foe. I think he'll land somwhere within the next week or two as preseason wraps up.