PDA

View Full Version : Prisco:Texans: Five things to know

Wolf
08-21-2007, 12:17 AM
HOUSTON -- Observations from Texans camp:

1. Quarterback Matt Schaub sure seems comfortable in his role as a starter after backing up Mike Vick the past three years. He threw the ball well the days I watched and he appears to have a good rapport with both coach Gary Kubiak and his teammates. This is a guy who called his teammates the day he arrived in Houston after being traded to the Texans. "I did that because I'm a leader of the football team," Schaub said. "I wanted to reach out to the guys and let them know I'm here and we're going to lean on each other." One big difference between Schaub and predecessor David Carr is that Schaub stays around the facility and hangs with his teammates, something Carr did not.

2. When he was with the Texans, Carr took a beating. But the team feels better about the offensive line than it has in the past. Right tackle Eric Winston looks much more comfortable in his second season playing on that side after playing the left side in college. The other tackle would be a concern to me. Ephraim Salaam played well for the Texans last year, but he's been a spinning top at other times in his career with other teams. The Texans need to get Charles Spencer back to play left tackle, but he suffered a serious knee injury last year and isn't close to being back. Salaam nearly got Byron Leftwich killed in a game when he was with the Jaguars. The interior of the line is solid, if not spectacular. But it's certainly a unit that is upgraded over recent Texans lines. "We do things better and they will get better," Kubiak said. Translated: Schaub needs to get rid of the football quicker than Carr did.

3. The heat on defensive end Mario Williams still hasn't subsided. The entire city, it seems, rags on him because the Texans passed on both Reggie Bush and Vince Young last year to take Williams with the first overall pick. That wasn't Williams' decision, yet you'd think it was. He was ripped on local radio this week for his no-sack performance in the preseason opener. Please. This kid will be a 14-sack player this year. He has all the tools to be a force on the outside. Give him a break, please. He certainly looked more comfortable in the practices I watched.

4. The Texans lost starting safety Glenn Earl for the year in their preseason opener. He was an OK player, but he's replaceable. For now, Jason Simmons, a converted corner, will take over at strong safety next to Eric Brown. Simmons, a 10-year veteran, is a feisty player who goes to camp every year with a bulls-eye on his back, yet always seems to stick around. Now he's a starter. There is a chance he could be pushed by Von Hutchins for the job.

5. Middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans is a star in the making. He had a sensational rookie year and looks even better heading into this season. Ryans has the speed and range you want in a modern-day middle linebacker. He attacks the football. It would be a shock if he doesn't get to the Pro Bowl this season.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10302044

threetoedpete
08-21-2007, 12:23 AM
The Texans need to get Charles Spencer back to play left tackle, but he suffered a serious knee injury last year and isn't close to being back.

Now I wonder where that came from ? Has any one seen anything on Spencer other than he was working hard in ota's ? You know if this is a fact and we aren't going to see the guy in '07 I'd just as soon hear it now than to have a little October surprise presser.

BSofA04
08-21-2007, 12:35 AM
Guys like Pete Prisco are truly a dying breed. I really appreciate someone coming in and making their own opinions about this team, rather than relying on old clichés that are no longer warranted. I wrote him a nice comment, thanking him for his observations and hoping that there's more sports writers out there who share his passion for researching a topic before writing an article.

ObsiWan
08-21-2007, 12:38 AM
Now I wonder where that came from ? Has any one seen anything on Spencer other than he was working hard in ota's ? You know if this is a fact and we aren't going to see the guy in '07 I'd just as soon hear it now than to have a little October surprise presser.

The fact we had to put Spencer on the PUP list says it'll be a while before he plays - if he plays at all this year. Better not to rush him back and have a Dante Culpepper situation where we ruin him for the future.

I'll be impressed if he comes back this year. That was a nasty break.

Vinny
08-21-2007, 12:44 AM
Guys like Pete Prisco are truly a dying breed. I really appreciate someone coming in and making their own opinions about this team, rather than relying on old clichés that are no longer warranted. I wrote him a nice comment, thanking him for his observations and hoping that there's more sports writers out there who share his passion for researching a topic before writing an article.

Prisco was a long time Jaguar beat writer before he got this gig.

beerlover
08-21-2007, 12:52 AM

he certainly remembers "Salaam nearly got Byron Leftwich killed in a game when he was with the Jaguars" not exactly comforting :cool:

Vinny
08-21-2007, 12:54 AM
he certainly remembers "Salaam nearly got Byron Leftwich killed in a game when he was with the Jaguars" not exactly comforting :cool:Leftwich with that big cartoon wind up nearly gets himself killed every week since he telegraphs his passes.:heart:

BSofA04
08-21-2007, 12:58 AM

A New Yorker working in Florida....no way!

JohnsonFan
08-21-2007, 01:55 AM
wow this is a first someone who says good things about the texans, a writer who says we may have some upside! atleast there is one writer with some sense:shades:

Corrosion
08-21-2007, 03:45 AM
But it's certainly a unit that is upgraded over recent Texans lines

I find that a bit odd , same players up front as most of last year when the media Bashed the O-line for being inept ...... Yes , I know it was all (Largely) Carr's fualt but many have been saying that around here for quite a while . The media is just now catching on . :cool:

My message to the media : Please , go away and forget about our Texans , go cover those Cowpies or something . Maybe Favre and the Packers . Anything but the Texans . We'll talk again , lets say mid December . :shades:

ObsiWan
08-21-2007, 05:47 AM
wow this is a first someone who says good things about the texans, a writer who says we may have some upside! atleast there is one writer with some sense:shades:Let's just say he has occasional moments of clarity. I've seen stuff he's written about us earlier in the year that sounded like the talking head party line. I guess it does help when they actually come and look at what they're pontificating about

alphajoker
08-21-2007, 07:01 AM
4. The Texans lost starting safety Glenn Earl for the year in their preseason opener. He was an OK player, but he's replaceable. For now, Jason Simmons, a converted corner, will take over at strong safety next to Eric Brown. Simmons, a 10-year veteran, is a feisty player who goes to camp every year with a bulls-eye on his back, yet always seems to stick around. Now he's a starter. There is a chance he could be pushed by Von Hutchins for the job.

Is that what C.C. stands for? :um:

HJam72
08-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Is that what C.C. stands for? :um:

Yes. CC is an acronym for two pig Latin words that mean "Eric", lol. :)

Porky
08-21-2007, 08:15 AM
If Mario has 14 sacks this year, I'll eat my shorts. Prisco is delisional. :devilpig:

HuttoKarl
08-21-2007, 08:33 AM
If Mario has 14 sacks this year, I'll eat my shorts. Prisco is delisional. :devilpig:

Delisional?

Your spelling is delusional. :shades:

Delisional is better.

I shall steal your word.

I'd be happy if Mario applies pressure, stuffs runs, hurries the QB and sacks someone every so often.

I don't really care about numbers unless they're in the Wins column.

Errant Hothy
08-21-2007, 08:49 AM
3. The heat on defensive end Mario Williams still hasn't subsided. The entire city, it seems, rags on him because the Texans passed on both Reggie Bush and Vince Young last year to take Williams with the first overall pick. That wasn't Williams' decision, yet you'd think it was. He was ripped on local radio this week for his no-sack performance in the preseason opener. Please. This kid will be a 14-sack player this year. He has all the tools to be a force on the outside. Give him a break, please. He certainly looked more comfortable in the practices I watched.

Truer words have not been written about this team all offseason, and it's kinda sad that an outsider can be in town for just a few days and pick up on this.

I'd be hugely surprised if Mario got to 14 sacks, but I don't think 10 is out of the question.

Texans Horror
08-21-2007, 08:58 AM
The o-line looks better, but this is preseason and they always look pretty decent in preseason. Let's see how they are doing in Week 5, or better yet, Week 8 when injuries start to occur.

I suspect Spencer will go on IR. I hope he isn't, but the Texans' injuries seem to be worse than they say - JMO. Besides, putting him on IR saves a roster space and gives him more time to heal.

At the same time, I suspect his career may be over if he is IRed. I remember when Joppru had to sit out a few seasons due to injuries, and he had a hell of a training camp, yet was let go. It's a different scenario (Joppru was an injured, untested TE on a team full of TEs jockeying for a position under a new coach.) Still, Frye may be the Texans tackle of the future.

HOU-TEX
08-21-2007, 09:03 AM
The o-line looks better, but this is preseason and they always look pretty decent in preseason. Let's see how they are doing in Week 5, or better yet, Week 8 when injuries start to occur.

Honestly, the way the cowboys are bringing everything including the kitchen sink defensively I think this Saturday at approx 7 pm will be the beginning of the test.:shades:

Let's all hope for a injury free game for the Texans. This is why pre-season bothers me.

Twitch-Houston
08-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Honestly, the way the cowboys are bringing everything including the kitchen sink defensively I think this Saturday at approx 7 pm will be the beginning of the test.:shades:

Let's all hope for a injury free game for the Texans. This is why pre-season bothers me.

It will be nice to see how Schaub handles it, cause when the blitz comes.....someone is open somewhere. :cool:

GP
08-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Leftwich with that big cartoon wind up nearly gets himself killed every week since he telegraphs his passes.:heart:

Tell me about it.

He is now in the running for most overrated NFL QB now that Vick is gone.

I don't see why he's still the starter there. He has done absolutely nothing to deserve being the leader of that team. He pouts on AND off the field, he isn't smart with the ball, and he's gone nowhere except a token playoff appearance.

In fact, that whole team is a mystery to me. Fred Taylor hobbles through every season, missing a lot of games...and yet they have Mo Jones Drew just sitting there splitting carries with Fred. Their WRs are an enigma. They have an axe in the locker room. Nobody attends the home games or cares about the team in their hometown. Their coach rightfully benches Byron and then re-inserts him as the starter out of thin air. It's bizarre, IMO.

Back to the topic: Prisco IS a good writer. I enjoy his articles, and this one was well done.

Texans Horror
08-21-2007, 09:31 AM
A start, yes, and against a 3-4 no less. But - and I know this is a half-empty-glass point - I have seen the Texans do well in preseason. It's that other mutt I'm worried about. The first five games. Only games will determine if the offense is as good as it looked against the Cardinals and if the defense will raise their bar.

eriadoc
08-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Tell me about it.

He is now in the running for most overrated NFL QB now that Vick is gone.

I don't see why he's still the starter there. He has done absolutely nothing to deserve being the leader of that team. He pouts on AND off the field, he isn't smart with the ball, and he's gone nowhere except a token playoff appearance.

In fact, that whole team is a mystery to me. Fred Taylor hobbles through every season, missing a lot of games...and yet they have Mo Jones Drew just sitting there splitting carries with Fred. Their WRs are an enigma. They have an axe in the locker room. Nobody attends the home games or cares about the team in their hometown. Their coach rightfully benches Byron and then re-inserts him as the starter out of thin air. It's bizarre, IMO.

Back to the topic: Prisco IS a good writer. I enjoy his articles, and this one was well done.

Just an aside - Fred Taylor has missed 7 games over the past 5 years and has gained over 6000 rushing yards during that time. So I guess that's a lot of games .... /shrug

brakos82
08-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Delisional?

Your spelling is delusional. :shades:

Delisional is better.

I shall steal your word.

I'd be happy if Mario applies pressure, stuffs runs, hurries the QB and sacks someone every so often.

I don't really care about numbers unless they're in the Wins column.

All wide receivers are delusional.

Youre delusional.

Run,run,run the ball gently down the field...

threetoedpete
08-21-2007, 12:39 PM

I suspect Spencer will go on IR. I hope he isn't, but the Texans' injuries seem to be worse than they say - JMO. Besides, putting him on IR saves a roster space and gives him more time to heal.

At the same time, I suspect his career may be over if he is IRed. I remember when Joppru had to sit out a few seasons due to injuries, and he had a hell of a training camp, yet was let go. It's a different scenario (Joppru was an injured, untested TE on a team full of TEs jockeying for a position under a new coach.) Still, Frye may be the Texans tackle of the future.

Salaam goes down early....Spencers in a lock box on the IR list....I'm draging this one back out on you big guy.

Texans Horror
08-21-2007, 12:51 PM
If Salaam goes down we will have the pleasure of watching I-65 take over. :play:

Leahmic223
08-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Cowboys will bring everything. So this will be our Olines test.

I hear the Broncos are whining about last weeks preseason game. Lynch said something like "They broke the ethics of Pre-season..."

Basically the Cowboys are going to blitz...and we better be ready.

edo783
08-21-2007, 10:12 PM
If the Cowplops really come out firing, I suspect it will be a long night for the offense.

JohnsonFan
08-21-2007, 10:24 PM
oh they are going to be blitzing like crazy

Kaiser Toro
08-21-2007, 10:27 PM
If the Cowplops really come out firing, I suspect it will be a long night for the offense.

Awesome! I can't wait for the two hour ride to Houston and back.