PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Frye?

TexanSam
08-19-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't watch the offensive line closely during a game but I'm guessing some others on here do. How has he looked? Good things have been said about Studdard by people on here and more importantly by Kubiak, but I haven't heard a whole lot about Frye.

kiwitexansfan
08-19-2007, 08:43 PM
My first badly informed reaction to this is that he was injured early in camp. Maybe this has hampered his impact.....

I too would appreciate some feedback from someone who watches the OL in games.

utahmark
08-19-2007, 09:03 PM
i dont know that he is playing yet. if someone knows he was in sat game i will go back and see how he did.

4Texans
08-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Paging Mr. Frye??????

Anyone seen him?

ObsiWan
08-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Paging Mr. Frye??????

Anyone seen him?I think he got a few snaps in with Z & Co. .....I think

Errant Hothy
08-21-2007, 09:27 PM
ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!1 He's a BUST

Sorry, I'm better now.

real
08-21-2007, 09:40 PM
hopefully they won't play him too much...

That way he can just slip onto the practice squad without being snatched on waivers....

Insideop
08-22-2007, 03:20 AM
Frye so far has been a big disappointment to me, because I was really hoping he would do well in TC and the Preseason and eventually become a solid LT or RT for us. So far he has been a no show from what I can tell. I know he got injured early in TC and was not able to practice for quite awhile. I kept looking for him (his name on the jersey) in the Arizona game, but never saw it, so I'm not sure he even played. Maybe they will play him some in the Dallas game or the Tampa Bay game.

At this point, I'm not sure he even makes the team, but I'm hoping he does make the cut because I think he will get "snatched up" if we try to put him on the Practice Squad. JMHO! :texflag:

Carr Bombed
08-22-2007, 04:04 AM
I think at this point the practice squad is all he can hope for. He really hasn't shown anything to warrant a roster spot and this is going to be a tough team to make this year.

Texans Horror
08-22-2007, 10:49 AM
I haven't heard much from him, and an injury would only make things worse. He is a late-round pick that I could see as an insurance policy should Spencer not be recoverable. However, history is not on his side. He is a fifth round draft pick. When I looked at how many players drafted in rounds 5 to 7 since 2002 (and not including 2007), I came up with something like 21 players selected of which only 4 ever made an impact on the team (Faggins, Charlie Anderson, CC Brown, Wali Lundy). Not to say he won't make the team or an impact, just saying the odds could be against him.

Specnatz
08-22-2007, 01:33 PM
But did he not sign a 3 year contract?

Is it legal to put someone on IR and still have them practice with the team?

Errant Hothy
08-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Frye so far has been a big disappointment to me, because I was really hoping he would do well in TC and the Preseason and eventually become a solid LT or RT for us. So far he has been a no show from what I can tell. I know he got injured early in TC and was not able to practice for quite awhile. I kept looking for him (his name on the jersey) in the Arizona game, but never saw it, so I'm not sure he even played. Maybe they will play him some in the Dallas game or the Tampa Bay game.

At this point, I'm not sure he even makes the team, but I'm hoping he does make the cut because I think he will get "snatched up" if we try to put him on the Practice Squad. JMHO! :texflag:

I never saw him as somebody who was going to compete for either T spot, he was depth at best. Atleast for this year.

TexansLucky13
08-22-2007, 02:43 PM
He was doing really well when I watched him in training camp. He looked good.

threetoedpete
08-22-2007, 04:06 PM
But did he not sign a 3 year contract?

Is it legal to put someone on IR and still have them practice with the team?

Up untill the point sheriff Rodger gets wind of it and he starts taking draft picks away. :pirate:

threetoedpete
08-22-2007, 04:11 PM
I never saw him as somebody who was going to compete for either T spot, he was depth at best. Atleast for this year.

that makes two of us. I think, and I for sure don't know for a fact that he was dratfed for Insurance in case the worst possible scenario played out. I gotta figgure either he isn't good enough in their minds to compete at this level. Or he is good enough and they are tring to slip him under the radar as Xt posted. One thingy about it won't have to wait too long. First cuts come up next week. He slides through waivers then he's on the PS. But, anyone with a roster spot can sign him if they want him. The thingy I've been dreading is if they loose him to the colts.

Goldensilence
08-22-2007, 04:29 PM
i remember hearing Frye was one of the more athletic o linemen in the draft but was really raw as he only palyed LT for one year. I was excited to see his name called and thought he'd be a perfect LT project type of guy in a ZBS.

I think his early injury has really hampered him and his chances of making the squad. My other thought is who are our other backup options at T? It'd be my preference to keep him and see if we can polish him off a bit more.

ObsiWan
08-22-2007, 05:59 PM
i remember hearing Frye was one of the more athletic o linemen in the draft but was really raw as he only palyed LT for one year. I was excited to see his name called and thought he'd be a perfect LT project type of guy in a ZBS.

I think his early injury has really hampered him and his chances of making the squad. My other thought is who are our other backup options at T? It'd be my preference to keep him and see if we can polish him off a bit more.

You guys might recall that Charles Spencer was also a converted defensive lineman. I think Frye's athleticism and the possibility that they might find "gold" again using another converted DL guy were probably the attractions.

I'm for practice squading him for a year too - hell, we kept Atlas Herrion and think Frye has more upside than he did.

Insideop
08-22-2007, 06:02 PM

The other options for backup T (Swing Tackle) are:

1) Jordan Black- FA pickup from KC with 4yrs exp. He's 6' 5', 310 lbs. Right now he is probably the front runner, but I'm not sure how good/bad he is. The fans in KC had alot of bad things to say about him. They nick named him "I-65" because of all the sacks he gave up.

2) Kevin Barry- Pickup from GB with 5yrs exp. He's 6' 4", 332 lbs. I believe he was released by GB and was injured most of last year. Not sure if he's played much in PS and haven't heard much about him in TC.

3) Scott Jackson- Pickup from TB with 3yrs exp. He's 6'4", 300 lbs. He played on TB's practice squad for the last 2 years and he is listed as a Guard on our Crew Roster but a Tackle on our Depth Chart. Haven't heard much about him at TC or during PS games.

4) Brandon Frye- Rookie, drafted in 5th round. He's 6'4", 302 lbs. Had 34 bench presses and ran a 5.08 in the 40 at the Combine. I think he played only 1year at LT for VT.

Those are the choices for backup Tackle. Personally, I would keep Frye and "polish him off a bit more" as you put it. I think the potential is there. He just needs the reps. Hopefully he can continue to get those in the next couple of PS games. I'm pulling for him to make it. JMHO!

The Pencil Neck
08-22-2007, 06:35 PM

1) Jordan Black- FA pickup from KC with 4yrs exp. He's 6' 5', 310 lbs. Right now he is probably the front runner, but I'm not sure how good/bad he is. The fans in KC had alot of bad things to say about him. They nick named him "I-65" because of all the sacks he gave up.

2) Kevin Barry- Pickup from GB with 5yrs exp. He's 6' 4", 332 lbs. I believe he was released by GB and was injured most of last year. Not sure if he's played much in PS and haven't heard much about him in TC.

3) Scott Jackson- Pickup from TB with 3yrs exp. He's 6'4", 300 lbs. He played on TB's practice squad for the last 2 years and he is listed as a Guard on our Crew Roster but a Tackle on our Depth Chart. Haven't heard much about him at TC or during PS games.

4) Brandon Frye- Rookie, drafted in 5th round. He's 6'4", 302 lbs. Had 34 bench presses and ran a 5.08 in the 40 at the Combine. I think he played only 1year at LT for VT.

Those are the choices for backup Tackle. Personally, I would keep Frye and "polish him off a bit more" as you put it. I think the potential is there. He just needs the reps. Hopefully he can continue to get those in the next couple of PS games. I'm pulling for him to make it. JMHO!

Barry was supposedly playing well but I heard that he tore his biceps and might require surgery. Jackson was playing with the two's and IIRC, he was playing well. At least, I think Kubes said he was playing well. I didn't really specifically watch him.

ObsiWan
08-22-2007, 07:01 PM

Jordan Black is as the K.C. peeps warned us. He'll not crack the starting line-up on this team.

I think Barry got some snaps in the AZ game with the 2s. I don't recall him getting beaten. But he's more of a power run blocker than a pass protector.

The one time I noticed Jackson was in the AZ game when he almost got Sage killed a couple of times.

Frye twisted/sprained an ankle during camp and stood around in a boot for the first week or two. He was behind the learning curve when he was drafted, getting hurt and missing snaps isn't helping him learn the position any faster.

pappy
08-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Barry is injured and may need surgery last i heard . Scott jackson did play against AZ i dont know how well but he is our #2 for now at right tackle . As for frye i have not seen him play yet but he seems injury prone so far . It does seem we will need to grab some more rejects at cut time again .:devilpig: