PDA

View Full Version : 'Boy, is he a good football player'

Brando
08-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Texans coach Gary Kubiak was talking into his headset as Arizona's punt coverage converged on Jacoby Jones. Kubiak was sure the rookie was going to make a fair catch at the 20-yard line.

It was the third quarter, though, and Jones had not fielded a punt all day. He was getting antsy and wanted to try to make a play on special teams. So despite having someone just an arm's length away ready to hit him, Jones fielded the ball and threaded his way downfield.

Behind blocks by Harry Williams and Fred Bennett, Jones danced into the end zone on an 80-yard return.

"He's fearless," Kubiak said. "He's a playmaker. We got something special there. We just need to keep it going. Boy, is he a good football player."

Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/5066054.html)

Looks like he learned from his cut back last week. Man we got a playmaker.

http://images.chron.com/photos/2007/08/18/7514846/311xInlineGallery.jpg

TheRealJoker
08-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Between him and Mathis, there isn't a team in the NFL that will be able to hang with our return team this year!!! :whip:

Brando
08-19-2007, 11:25 AM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2007/08/18/7516079/342xSectionMain.jpg

Malloy
08-19-2007, 11:39 AM
With JJ and mathis, every team in the NFL will kick the ball out of bounds or into the endzone... They're scary :)

Stampede
08-19-2007, 11:42 AM
We just need to get his mom near the Mic at reliant so he can hear her whistle. :heart:

GP
08-19-2007, 01:10 PM
With JJ and mathis, every team in the NFL will kick the ball out of bounds or into the endzone... They're scary :)

The Cards did just that, at least twice.

Teams are scared of our return team. That's not hype, guys. It's the dadgum truth.

Did you see the short kick to Killings? He rear-ended Bray (our guy) and gave him massive whiplash. Bray just crumbled to the ground when it happened. Killings ran smooth THROUGH his own guy. It looked like it hurt.

Teams are absolutely, positively taking notice of our return game. It's making punters and kickers do goofy stuff, sometimes shanking punts/kicks in an attempt to kick it directionally. So, in effect, we're getting good position no matter whether Mathis/Jacoby gets the ball or not.

I'm luvin' it.

Line_Producer
08-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Did you see the short kick to Killings? He rear-ended Bray (our guy) and gave him massive whiplash. Bray just crumbled to the ground when it happened. Killings ran smooth THROUGH his own guy. It looked like it hurt.

Respect to Killings. We were upset that they didn't show a reply of that. Full on 'jacked up' moment. Kind of wish it was a defender, but hell;

Mr. Kubiak, you have my permission to teach Killings how to play fullback.

kiwitexansfan
08-19-2007, 06:32 PM
They say special teams win championships don't they??

I feel like with Brown, Turk, Mathis and Jones we have some great ST's.

Add our improved talent overall to handle coverage etc and I think we can turn some games with special teams play.

PapaL
08-19-2007, 07:16 PM
They say special teams win championships don't they??

I feel like with Brown, Turk, Mathis and Jones we have some great ST's.

Add our improved talent overall to handle coverage etc and I think we can turn some games with special teams play.

I would agree with all except Brown. I think he can be shaken and stirred. The other guys rock.

Double Barrel
08-19-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm real excited about the potential of our return teams right now. Starting field position is such a crucial aspect of the game. Long returns are a lot of fun to watch, too, which really gets the hometown crowd into the games.

I'm ready to see this in the real season! :texflag:

Corrosion
08-20-2007, 04:23 AM
I'm real excited about the potential of our return teams right now. Starting field position is such a crucial aspect of the game. Long returns are a lot of fun to watch, too, which really gets the hometown crowd into the games.

I'm ready to see this in the real season! :texflag:

Not only do long returns get the home crowd into the game .... more importantly they can take the wind out of the crowd on the road . Nothing like the crowd going silent in the other teams arena ....

J-Russ
08-20-2007, 04:49 AM
I would agree with all except Brown. I think he can be shaken and stirred. The other guys rock.

Brown been perfect this pre-season in FGs, correct?

PapaL
08-20-2007, 06:35 AM
Brown been perfect this pre-season in FGs, correct?

Gary Anderson didn't miss a single kick in the 1998 season and choked when it most mattered.

Mike Vanderjagt is the most accurate field-goal kicker in NFL history and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in cruntch time.

You telling me Brown has been perfect in preseason is suppose to mean what? I still worry when he takes the field; more so when the game is on the line. Yes his kick did beat the Colts year last year but how many has he missed?