PDA

View Full Version : Houston . . we have a quarterback!!!

Marcus
08-18-2007, 03:32 PM
I don't know how long Schaub is going to play the rest of the game, but I've seen enough.

To those of you who poo-pooed the trade with Atlanta, I give you the floor.

Pantherstang84
08-18-2007, 03:38 PM
***cricket sound*******

TheIronDuke
08-18-2007, 03:42 PM
That's good but can we get a pass rush on D at some point?

Marcus
08-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Keep the pass rush, or should I say the lack of, out of this thread please, thanyouverymuch.

There are plenty of other threads for that.

Ryan
08-18-2007, 03:56 PM
he has looked great!:fans:

TheIronDuke
08-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Keep the pass rush, or should I say the lack of, out of this thread please, thanyouverymuch.

There are plenty of other threads for that.

Sorry, you're right. Schaub looked great today, you can definitely tell that he has a good handle of this offense in only week 2 of the preseason. I'm confident he'll be able to lead this offense much more competently than any other starting QB we've ever had on this team.

Hookem Horns
08-18-2007, 04:14 PM
It's hard to say how much of an upgrade Schaub is because Carr didn't get the kind of protection that Schaub is getting right now.

Sincerely,

Hulk 75

Pantherstang84
08-18-2007, 04:19 PM
It's hard to say how much of an upgrade Schaub is because Carr didn't get the kind of protection that Schaub is getting right now.

Sincerely,

Hulk 75

ROTFLMAO!!!

rollinstone18
08-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Schaub was excellent.

Porky
08-18-2007, 04:32 PM
David Who? :splits:

Texan Asylum
08-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Houston . . we have a quarterback . . AND an offense!!! :splits:

Okay, maybe a little premature, but it's nice to revel! :fans:

StarStruck
08-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Not only am I happy, but it seems the team is happy.:texflag:

rmartin65
08-18-2007, 04:36 PM
It sounds like he is doing well, but its only pre-season.

Marcus
08-18-2007, 04:40 PM
I just haven't seen a bad pass thrown by him yet, and none of his passes have that 'uncatchable' sting on them.

But his field vision seems to be superb. He seems to always know the right person to throw to. Granted, it is preseason, but it looks like he's got the 'awareness' to burn the opposing defense when they blitz.

And ain't it weird how much better the offensive line is playing? They haven't given up a sack.

mancunian
08-18-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm being lazy - did they give up a sack against the Bears?

bckey
08-18-2007, 04:47 PM
I agree Schaub looked really good. He never got in the fetal position either.

mexican_texan
08-18-2007, 04:47 PM
In case you didn't know, Quinton Porter WAS on the team last year, he was just on the Practice Squad to start off the season.

Hookem Horns
08-18-2007, 04:51 PM
It sounds like he is doing well, but its only pre-season.

The preseason has always been a strong indicator of what's going to happen in the real season. Not in W's and L's but in how the team performs in general. Remember the 2-14 season? The Texans looked horrible during that preseason on both sides of the ball. Many of us knew we were in for a LONG season.

(This is my prediction going off what I have seen this preseason).

I think we are going to have an offense that will move the ball and score. Schaub is going to win over the fans. However our defense is going to keep us out of the W column most weeks. I am also thinking there is going to be a lot of talk this season about our how much of a bust our D line is. Mario is going to replace Carr as media and fan whipping boy. Those missed 1st round D line picks are going to cost dearly.

Rex King
08-18-2007, 04:52 PM

Not with the ones and twos in.

BTW Sage looks better
:stirpot:

:hides:

:D

Rex King
08-18-2007, 04:55 PM
However our defense is going to keep us out of the W column most weeks. I am also thinking there is going to be a lot of talk this season about our how much of a bust our D line is. Mario is going to replace Carr as media and fan whipping boy. Those missed 1st round D line picks are going to cost dearly.

Logically, the D should be better this year. And the D was pretty respectable the last half of the season. Who did we lose (besides Earl now) in the offseason?

Hookem Horns
08-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Logically, the D should be better this year. And the D was pretty respectable the last half of the season. Who did we lose (besides Earl now) in the offseason?

I obviously hope I am wrong about the D, but the preseason is telling me different. Time will tell.

PapaL
08-18-2007, 05:03 PM
I was feeling a little nausious seeing #8 run out onto the field before kickoff. You can clearly see this is a different #8. You can sense a confidence about the offense. Things are looking very good for us. The future is brighter than ever before.

HJam72
08-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Houston, we have 2 QBs!!! :texflag:

Rex King
08-18-2007, 05:12 PM
I obviously hope I am wrong about the D, but the preseason is telling me different. Time will tell.

I know what you mean. I'm trying to comfort myself with logic until the season starts.

PapaL
08-18-2007, 05:12 PM
That was a BEAUTIFUL TD pass by Sage.

JohnsonFan
08-18-2007, 05:53 PM
woooohooo we have a qb!

jerek
08-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Schaub clearly has more poise in the pocket but his throws haven't wowed me. It's also my recollection that Carr looked good in the preseason last year and especially early on. I'm not suggesting the two quarterbacks are the same or even similar but I reserve the right to remain unimpressed so far.

edo783
08-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Houston, we have 2 QBs!!! :texflag:

True and in the NFL, that is a great thing to have.

Hagar
08-18-2007, 06:14 PM
I was one of the folks who was less then supportive of the trade for Schuab simply because I thought Rosenfels diserved a shot at being a starter and I thought two 2nd rounders was too much for an unproven QB. Basically, I thought Schuab had a lot to live up too.

At this point, I'd say we have two QBs who could start for a lot of NFL teams right now. Schuab looked very very good and so did Rosenfels.

We've gone from QB poor to QB rich!!!

real
08-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Those missed 1st round D line picks are going to cost dearly.

Jury is still out...

Travis Johnson had an excellent game...

Il_Bruno
08-18-2007, 06:17 PM
I think crowning him kind schuab is a little premature. I want to see him week 1 of the regular season. Im not saying he hasn't looked good...in fact i havent even watched him in pre-season yet, but if he delivers like i hear he has in the regular season i'll order a biggie size of kool aid :texflag:

real
08-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Schaub clearly has more poise in the pocket but his throws haven't wowed me. It's also my recollection that Carr looked good in the preseason last year and especially early on. I'm not suggesting the two quarterbacks are the same or even similar but I reserve the right to remain unimpressed so far.

Carr didn't look good in the pre-season last year...

Maybe we were watching two different games...

Last year I saw a guy who threw a lot of short mechanical passes, and looked jittery in the pocket, with a strong arm, and good speed...yes in the pre-season....

This year I see a guy who is calm, knows the offense, has good footwork, uses his eyes well and can make every throw with upper echelon accuracy...

Yeah, we had to have been watching two different games...

BeerTastesLikeVictory
08-18-2007, 06:20 PM

I have the same feeling. I also noticed Okoye getting manhandled a bit on some of the running plays especially. I think Dunta looks pretty hungry to me so far, he has done well getting to the ball and with open field tackles. Just needs to get a few turnovers. I am sure this will be posted elsewhere, but aside from Schaub, Jacoby is really impressing me.

Maddict5
08-18-2007, 06:22 PM

I know what you mean. I'm trying to comfort myself with logic until the season starts.

we havent blitzed much yet?? still not much consolation though

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2007, 06:25 PM

Last preseason, Carr looked better than he had looked in the previous season... but he didn't look good. He had 0 TD's and 1 pick and was sacked 3 times. Sage looked much, much better in the preseason last year than DC did and that didn't help quell the "Start Sage" push at the start of the year.

I think Schaub has looked much better so far this preseason than Carr did last preseason. But he doesn't have the strongest arm and he's not the greatest QB in the world. But I think he's definitely an upgrade. I think he's a bigger, stronger Pennington.

Stampede
08-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Matt looked good, but so did every other QB that got in the game....on both sides. Next week will be a better barometer I think. Walter juked that cb out of his shorts but was standing there waiting on the ball too long. Possibly could have been a TD if he was hit in stride. Overall though, I liked what I saw.

real
08-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Matt looked good, but so did every other QB that got in the game....on both sides. Next week will be a better barometer I think. Walter juked that cb out of his shorts but was standing there waiting on the ball too long. Possibly could have been a TD if he was hit in stride. Overall though, I liked what I saw.

This is getting ridiculous. It was a good thrown ball.

"could have been a better thrown ball" ? Give me a break....If Carr had made that throw it would have been a highlight in his career....Even all of Peyton Manning's throws aren't perfect...

You can delay the inevitable all you want but at some point you're gonna have to realize the guy has skills and is a good QB.

But hey, maybe it'll take a superbowl for you to finally wise up. :texflag:

Hagar
08-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Walter juked that cb out of his shorts but was standing there waiting on the ball too long. Possibly could have been a TD if he was hit in stride.Its a minor point, but that wasn't the only pass Schuab under threw.

It probably won't make a difference, many of the best QBs ever didn't have strong arms. Montana comes to mind. Very very accurate, but didn't have the strongest arm.

Playing QB is about making the right decision with the ball. Something Schuab & Rosenfels do very well.

pappy
08-18-2007, 06:50 PM

"could have been a better thrown ball" ? Give me a break....If Carr had made that throw it would have been a highlight in his career....Even all of Peyton Manning's throws aren't perfect...

You can delay the inevitable all you want but at some point you're gonna have to realize the guy has skills and is a good QB.

He is still a little impatient and keeping the throws close to the vest (not down field ) .

Stampede
08-18-2007, 07:13 PM

Where did I say he did'nt have skills? Where did I say he is'nt a good QB? LoL...Im his biggest fan. Why bring Carr into this?....Meh, carry on.

Leahmic223
08-18-2007, 07:23 PM
I am really excited about Schuab though.

I laughed when those guys were being interviewed they took subliminal shots at Carr.

Pitts said something like "Its good to have a QB that makes you look good..."

Oh man, I feel sorry for Carr. I know the word probably reaches him when a teammate says something like that.

Than Dunta says "Yeah we finally get to get some rest..."

Poor Carr

barberman
08-18-2007, 08:39 PM

Sincerely,

Hulk 75

Come on man get over it, those days are dead and gone, I for one am tired of people moaning about Carr and the O-line. In case you havent noticed its the same line that blocked for Carr last year.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
08-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Come on man get over it, those days are dead and gone, I for one am tired of people moaning about Carr and the O-line. In case you havent noticed its the same line that blocked for Carr last year.

That was meant to be sarcasm....

ccdude730
08-18-2007, 08:47 PM

hulk is not hookem...

you had to be around when he hulk was still here to understand his post

tsip
08-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Watching Schaub (Sage,too) work the pocket/pressure is a thing of beauty, something we never ever saw from what's his name. And, yes, both had pressure all around them at time including in their face and never flinched, let a lone go fetal.

It's humorus that some posters just have to find 'something' to dig at with Schaub, and that's OK--he's only going to get better...must admit,though, why don't you compare his faults to DC's...

Spled
08-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Carr threw for 111 yards in his game. Carolina is probably happy with their acquisition.

Hagar
08-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Carr threw for 111 yards in his game. Carolina is probably happy with their acquisition.Good for him!

Success and failure are funny things. Success tends to grow with success and failure with failure.

Carr knew nothing but failure here and could never break his cycle. Aparently, the change of scenery has done him a lot of good.

GuerillaBlack
08-19-2007, 12:39 AM
Matt looks so bold there in the pocket. I love the vibe with him on the field, more than our last QB (who did well in his game today surprisingly).

real
08-19-2007, 01:07 AM
Carr threw for 111 yards in his game. Carolina is probably happy with their acquisition.

I don't think David is bad to the point where he can't have good games against second team defenses.

MEGA SWATT
08-19-2007, 01:19 AM
I don't know how long Schaub is going to play the rest of the game, but I've seen enough.

To those of you who poo-pooed the trade with Atlanta, I give you the floor.

well, thank God it happened b4 the M. Vick dog fight stuff came out or we'd be Schaub-less.

Malloy
08-19-2007, 04:14 AM
I agree Schaub looked really good. He never got in the fetal position either.

I miss the fetal position, it was so comforting...

Hookem Horns
08-19-2007, 06:26 AM
I don't think David is bad to the point where he can't have good games against second team defenses.

Don't forget the 3rd team also.

Thorn
08-19-2007, 06:59 AM
Yes, Schaub did look good, no doubt about that. However, some questions for yall.

How much better did Schaub look than Sage? Was it worth two 2nd round picks to have two good QBs that can (both) start and run this team? Or would it have been better to start Sage and use the two 2nd round picks on something else?

Just for the record, these are honest questions as I am thinking my Schaub bashing is coming to a close. If he has another good performance against Dallas, I shall be in the Schaub camp then. Even though I would probably still prefer to have Sage start and use the picks for something else, Schaub is looking like the real deal.

Texanmike02
08-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Yes, Schaub did look good, no doubt about that. However, some questions for yall.

How much better did Schaub look than Sage? Was it worth two 2nd round picks to have two good QBs that can (both) start and run this team? Or would it have been better to start Sage and use the two 2nd round picks on something else?

Just for the record, these are honest questions as I am thinking my Schaub bashing is coming to a close. If he has another good performance against Dallas, I shall be in the Schaub camp then. Even though I would probably still prefer to have Sage start and use the picks for something else, Schaub is looking like the real deal.

What is with people liking Sage as a starter? I just don't get it. HE COULDN'T BEAT OUT JAY FIEDLER!!! He is Cody Carlson. A great backup. A great "rally the troops" kind of guy but he CAN'T make all the throws. He doesn't have an NFL arm, and his accuracy is suspect at best.

Sage is doing it against backups. Schaub is doing it against the starters. There's not much film on him for a reason. He had FOUR YEARS to supplant Jay Fiedler. Schaub was playing behind a, granted over rated, Mike Vick. But Atlanta had to play Vick, he was the proverbial "face of the franchise". That's why he, in 3 years, hasn't amassed a wealth of stats.

Everyone you hear about raves about Schaub. Not the media, real football talent. He is Sage with an NFL arm. That is what costs two picks.

Mike

Insideop
08-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Jury is still out...

Travis Johnson had an excellent game...

Wow! I never thought I'd see that in print! And what's great about it is, it's true! :yahoo: I hope he can keep it up, and I hope the rest of the D-linemen will start getting their act together too. JMHO!

Malloy
08-19-2007, 09:08 AM
What is with people liking Sage as a starter? I just don't get it. HE COULDN'T BEAT OUT JAY FIEDLER!!! He is Cody Carlson. A great backup. A great "rally the troops" kind of guy but he CAN'T make all the throws. He doesn't have an NFL arm, and his accuracy is suspect at best.

I see your point but I'm not sure I agree completely. It seems, at least for the QB-job, that there are alot of team politics involved in the decision-making. A head coach invests (and risks) his position on a young and upcoming QB that has the opportunity to become something great, but at the same time could be a complete flop. It's a risky investment but I at least feel that sometimes a head coach will chance on the young unproven player instead of the 'old news backup qb'.

Simply put, there's more prestige in finding the diamond in the rough than going with the so-so backup. That does not mean that the backup is no good though.

Marcus
08-19-2007, 09:33 AM

Well, before, conceding that Sage is a good NFL quarterback, we only had one good one before the Schaub trade. Is it worth a couple of second round picks to get another good NFL quarterback? Considering that it's likely that Schaub will not play every game this season due to injury, that should answer your question right there.

And considering what has taken place since the trade, do you think Atlanta would be more than willing give back a LOT more than a couple of seconds to get him back? We could probably get a couple of firsts . . . and I wouldn't take them.

Pantherstang84
08-19-2007, 09:33 AM
I see your point but I'm not sure I agree completely. It seems, at least for the QB-job, that there are alot of team politics involved in the decision-making. A head coach invests (and risks) his position on a young and upcoming QB that has the opportunity to become something great, but at the same time could be a complete flop. It's a risky investment but I at least feel that sometimes a head coach will chance on the young unproven player instead of the 'old news backup qb'.

Simply put, there's more prestige in finding the diamond in the rough than going with the so-so backup. That does not mean that the backup is no good though.

Now your reaching. Look.

Kubiak and Smith are proving themselves to be great evaluators of talent. I really believe that if they thought Rosenfels could get it done as a starter, Schaub would be starting for Atlanta now. They did what they had to do to help this football team. They haven't been here long enough for a political pecking order to develop.

I'm glad we have Sage. I really am. If something happens to Schaub, Sage can tide us over for a while. However, he is a backup QB in the NFL. Take it for what it is.

Brando
08-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Not only am I happy, but it seems the team is happy.:texflag:

Yeah, looks like a heckuva of an offense we are building. After 5 years of being in the NFL we have an offense that belongs.:cool:

Brando
08-19-2007, 09:46 AM

Pitts wasn't even in there either.:specnatz: Hookem was being sarcastic.

Brando
08-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Matt looks so bold there in the pocket. I love the vibe with him on the field, more than our last QB (who did well in his game today surprisingly).

He was sacked and had a ball tipped. Typical. I don't miss that.

Stampede
08-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Watching Schaub (Sage,too) work the pocket/pressure is a thing of beauty, something we never ever saw from what's his name. And, yes, both had pressure all around them at time including in their face and never flinched, let a lone go fetal.

It's humorus that some posters just have to find 'something' to dig at with Schaub, and that's OK--he's only going to get better...must admit,though, why don't you compare his faults to DC's...

Because comparing Schaub's talents to David Carr is like Comparing George Bush's mastery of the english language with that of the National Spelling B Champion? I really don't think that Matt's mission in his football life is to be better than David Carr. Most football players are striving for excellance. Why not compare him to that. Some of you guys mistook my earlier comments to be a dis towards Schaub. It was'nt meant to come out that way, but then again Im alot like Bush when it comes to expressing myself properly. I was just trying to state that there are some aspects of Matts game that could use some improvement....nothing more, nothing less. Im thrilled that we have him as our Qb and Im excited about the possibilities we have this season.

Malloy
08-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Now your reaching. Look.

I reach all the time, I call it speculating :)

Marcus
08-19-2007, 11:53 AM
sooooo....

sage to atlanta for a 2 round pick? hell, sage to anywhere for a 2 round pick. i know, i know, backups are fun to have...but it seems like we could really make up some ground by getting that pick back. i know it's way to far away to think about, but i can't wait for next years draft haha...

zabransky didn't look terrible either. must be something to do with the coaching...like the head coach...being a good qb guy...i'm alluding to something here...

So, Sage shows that he's a competant backup to Schaub, so they need to trade him for a draft pick.

I don't know if I'd go along with that idea.

signed,

The GM of the Atlanta Falcons

Texanmike02
08-19-2007, 12:42 PM

From that standpoint (and not knowing about mike vicks dog deal) they would not have made the trade. There is even more prestige in resurrecting the career of a backup. In fact, the only risk there was if you trade for Schaub. If not, you can always wait it out, and sign him next year (keep in mind we didn't know about vic at the time) without risking any draft picks. The city would have been happy as long as it wasn't DC starting, but nobody would have had very high expectations. If he makes Sage into a legit starter he is a GENIUS if not... go get Schauby next year.

Mike

Pantherstang84
08-19-2007, 01:05 PM
From that standpoint (and not knowing about mike vicks dog deal) they would not have made the trade. There is even more prestige in resurrecting the career of a backup. In fact, the only risk there was if you trade for Schaub. If not, you can always wait it out, and sign him next year (keep in mind we didn't know about vic at the time) without risking any draft picks. The city would have been happy as long as it wasn't DC starting, but nobody would have had very high expectations. If he makes Sage into a legit starter he is a GENIUS if not... go get Schauby next year.

Mike

But it didn't happen that way now did it? Time to move on. Schaub is the starter and Sage isn't. Get over it.

Vinny
08-19-2007, 01:14 PM
I don't think Kubiak signed on to be a genius...he signed on to be a winning football coach. You don't do that by taking goofy risk. Putting all your marbles in the Sage basket would have been dumb if you ask me....Sage is a Gifford Neilson/Frank Reich/Billy Volek level QB. Good enough to come in on a pinch and play a few games but once exposed, their limitations are magnified.

Malloy
08-19-2007, 01:14 PM
But it didn't happen that way now did it? Time to move on. Schaub is the starter and Sage isn't. Get over it.

It was a response to one of my ramblings, and a quite good one too (the comment, not the ramble)

ObsiWan
08-19-2007, 01:47 PM

yes, but that was a Brad Van Pelt moment... I'm not counting it.

ObsiWan
08-19-2007, 01:50 PM
I don't think Kubiak signed on to be a genius...he signed on to be a winning football coach. You don't do that by taking goofy risk. Putting all your marbles in the Sage basket would have been dumb if you ask me....Sage is a Gifford Neilson/Frank Reich/Billy Volek level QB. Good enough to come in on a pinch and play a few games but once exposed, their limitations are magnified.

I was told it was a misdemeanor to utter those two words within the city limits of Houston or in the context of Houston football, pro, college, high school, or pee-wee...

...well, that's the word on the street
lol

DBCooper
08-19-2007, 02:07 PM
I was told it was a misdemeanor to utter those two words within the city limits of Houston or in the context of Houston football, pro, college, high school, or pee-wee...

...well, that's the word on the street
lol

The bastard looked pretty good that day.............