PDA

View Full Version : Biggest improvement you want on Sat?

TheRealJoker
08-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Other than winning, what is the biggest improvement you want out of one of the units on our team?

I think our offense needs to score tds in the redzone. There is no reason to not make the most of all of our opportunities we had last week, so if the starting O can produce some tds in the redzone I will be happy.

powerfuldragon
08-17-2007, 11:43 AM
i do not want to see van pelt on the field as qb. that'll be improvement enough.

Dallas_Texan
08-17-2007, 11:44 AM
I want Mario to show some real effort, and for our RB's to rack up some yardage.

Tailgate
08-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Running game and pass rush.

Brando
08-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Other than winning, what is the biggest improvement you want out of one of the units on our team?

I think our offense needs to score tds in the redzone. There is no reason to not make the most of all of our opportunities we had last week, so if the starting O can produce some tds in the redzone I will be happy.

I want the first team offense to score a TD.Actually maybe 2. On first team defense I want to see a couple of sacks and tons of pressure.

DBCooper
08-17-2007, 11:46 AM
i do not want to see van pelt on the field as qb. that'll be improvement enough.

lol

I agree with you Joker, I would love to see them make the most of their oppurtunities. That has always been a sore spot for this team.

Brando
08-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Running game and pass rush.

I didn't mention the run game. I would like Green to be more productive. More touches should do him good.

the wonger need food
08-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Offense: Move the ball a little bit better, especially on the ground.

Defense: Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush.

HOU-TEX
08-17-2007, 11:55 AM
In agreement with the other posts.:doot:

In addition, I want to see the defense as a whole dominate the opponent. Not only the pass rush, I want the run stuffed, the passes knocked down or picked and the overall physicality to be extreme. Every defender attacking the ball!

That would be my perfect world.:)

Exithios
08-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Offensively: I want to see holes open up for the run game and a solid pocket for the passing game. I don't doubt the abilities of Ahman and Schaub, I am still hoping that our o-line can be consistent in pass protection and opening some gaps.

Defensively: I want to see pass rushing like everyone else but what I am hoping for is that on the occasions that the rush isn't successful, our secondary maintains coverage.

My$0.02

Side Note: In Madden 08 I dangled a 3rd round pick to see if anyone would bite and San Diego offered up Quentin Jammer... anyone have Rick Smith's phone number?

TheRealJoker
08-17-2007, 12:05 PM
The thing that disgusted me most is that we had the ball on the 4 yard line and couldn't put it in the endzone after 3 consecutive runs.

I was expecting 3 consecutive runs because I knew that Kubes didn't want to show his real plays, but I was also thinking he wanted to see if the ol could generate a push...guess not :(

Lets get a td when that happens Saturday!!!:texflag:

HOU-TEX
08-17-2007, 12:06 PM
The thing that disgusted me most is that we had the ball on the 4 yard line and couldn't put it in the endzone after 3 consecutive runs.

I was expecting 3 consecutive runs because I knew that Kubes didn't want to show his real plays, but I was also thinking he wanted to see if the ol could generate a push...guess not :(

Lets get a td when that happens Saturday!!!:texflag:

We had the wrong RB in at the time. Green would've gotten the ball in somehow.:)

Second Honeymoon
08-17-2007, 12:18 PM
need better rushing
need to display better hands in the passing game
need to show some semblance of a pass rush especially by Mariblow.

JohnsonFan
08-17-2007, 12:21 PM
running game for sure

Wolf
08-17-2007, 12:22 PM
I want to see the D-Line get to the QB without a blitz. I want to see the secondary do well against Bouldin and Fitzgerald

offensively... redzone offense needs to improve and i'd like to see more rollouts

I'd like to see us continue to use the TE's in the game plan

badboy
08-17-2007, 12:30 PM
I want to see the opposing QB pressured by our defensive financial institution. I want to see A running back cross the end zone with the ball. I want to see Schaub hook up with Mathis on a 20 + pass. I want to see a CB (other than DR) or a free safety make an interception. I want to see Jordan Black knock his man on his butt on a pass play. I want to see Cochran play hard and not get a penalty. I want to see Dayne get 4 + yards on two carries in a row. I want to see Gado and Green get at least one run for 8 yards or better. I want to see Hodgdon making plays that Kubes will rave about Sunday. I want to see Travis Johnson grab a RB and pancake him for no gain. I want to see Lundy take one to the house. I want to see a Charles Stanley (much younger than Turk) dominate with his punting. I want to see Walter look like a #2.

Goldensilence
08-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Must improve on redzone oppurtunities.

Would like JJ to make a good impression starting.

Pash rush.

real
08-17-2007, 12:37 PM
I want to see if Jones can continue to shine..

I want to see D.rob start to assert himself while going up against two of the leauges best....

I want to see Schaub continue to stay poised...

And I want to see Luigi play with more energy....

Double Barrel
08-17-2007, 12:40 PM
I want to see a mean streak in our D, even in the pre-season. A pass rush and a turnover or three would be cool.

As far as offense, continue to protect Schaub with no sacks and more time in the pocket to see what this WCO is capable of with our current starters. Move the ball down the field like you're supposed to do.

Heath Shuler
08-17-2007, 12:41 PM
QB pressure from the front four and Iím a happy man.

Texan Asylum
08-17-2007, 12:50 PM
I want to see evidence that this team is going to be competitive on both sides of the ball.

Naturally I want to see a win, but if evidence presents itself that we are building, and heading, in the direction of being a competitive team with the rest of the NFL, then win or lose, I'll be happy.

But I still want a win! :fans:

Porky
08-17-2007, 01:12 PM
On offense, better red zone efficiency and also better 3rd down efficiency, much of which can be cured with a more efficient run game, so if I were to pinpoint one single area for improvement, a better running game would be it.

On D, I want to see more urgency and fire in Mariblow (sorry had to steal this one!). I would like to see the penetrating gap shooter I saw in film in Okoye, but for now he gets a bit of a pass. And in general, better Dline play against both the run and pass from last week. I still expect plain vanilla, with few if any blitzes or exotic coverages, etc.

Pantherstang84
08-17-2007, 01:30 PM
If I see Schaub overthrow any more passes, then I'll know we're doomed. Good NFL QBs complete every pass they throw.:specnatz:

*shhh*I'm just kidding. I'm seeing if they'll come out of the woodwork.:gun:

badboy
08-17-2007, 01:57 PM
If I see Schaub overthrow any more passes, then I'll know we're doomed. Good NFL QBs complete every pass they throw.:specnatz:

*shhh*I'm just kidding. I'm seeing if they'll come out of the woodwork.:gun:
David Carr never over threw receivers. signed the trouble maker.heeehhee

Texans Horror
08-17-2007, 02:01 PM
A little wine, a little dance, Matt Linehart's head on a lance...

Okay, nothing that bloody, but I want a sack more than anything. Some sign that all these drafts of constantly pulling top-level talent for the defense is going to something. I don't expect much of the offense. They should be stutter-stepping all season long. But if the defense shows up - sacks, interceptions, forced-fumbles recovered - that is what I would love to see.

In reality, though, I know better than to expect that. I'd like to see Mario get clear presence in the backfield. I'd like to see Levi pushed around. I'd like to see a good presence from Demeco. I'd also like to see that losing Earl will be a boon to the Texans this year and not pulling a strong link from a very weak chain.

Hagar
08-17-2007, 02:08 PM
I want Mario to show some real effort
Yep, enough said.

Porky
08-17-2007, 02:47 PM
David Carr never over threw receivers. signed the trouble maker.heeehhee

No, he never over threw receivers because he mostly underthrew receivers.

Lucky
08-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Overall, I'd like to see fewer injuries (duh). A few passes downfield would be nice. Maybe a reverse to Jones or Mathis to keep the Card's backside honest. Defensively, maybe some stunts inside to free Okoye.

On the other hand, I don't want the Texans to show too much. There's still some Dom Capers left in me (but it's trying to get out).

ObsiWan
08-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Improvements....

1. Better red zone efficiency. When Mathis gets us inside the scoring zone with one of his fab returns we should punctuate it with 7, not settle for 3.

2. Much, MUCH, MUCH better 3rd down conversion percentage. We went 0 for our first 6 or 7 3rd down conversion attempts last week. That won't do. Let's see some of that "ball control" this offense is supposed to produce.

3. Convert turnover opportunities. We forced 3 fumbles in the fourth qtr and came up empty-handed all three times. Had we got one of those fumbles, we would have won. Wouldn't hurt to play "strip the ball" more often either.

4. More 3-&-outs forced by our defense. Get their offense off the field before the get in rhythm. If sacks come too, that'll be icing on the cake. Sacks are meaningless if the other guys still convert the third and longs.

The Pencil Neck
08-17-2007, 03:22 PM
No, he never over threw receivers because he mostly underthrew receivers.

But he could nail the camera men with an almost uncanny precision.

SheTexan
08-17-2007, 04:05 PM
NO more freaking injuries!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE stay healthy, esp the starters.

b0ng
08-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Defense: A first team sack, and a forced fumble.

Offense: Matt Schaub having >50% completion percentage. Green >40 yds.

I don't care if Mario gets the sack or not, I just want to see something to look forward to on our defensive first string.

Marcus
08-17-2007, 11:50 PM
I don't care if we win or not . . . it's freakin preseason.

I want to see a pass rush by the front four . . . alone.

I see that, nothing else matters. I don't see that, nothing else matters.

htexfan
08-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Improvements....

1. Better red zone efficiency. When Mathis gets us inside the scoring zone with one of his fab returns we should punctuate it with 7, not settle for 3.

2. Much, MUCH, MUCH better 3rd down conversion percentage. We went 0 for our first 6 or 7 3rd down conversion attempts last week. That won't do. Let's see some of that "ball control" this offense is supposed to produce.

3. Convert turnover opportunities. We forced 3 fumbles in the fourth qtr and came up empty-handed all three times. Had we got one of those fumbles, we would have won. Wouldn't hurt to play "strip the ball" more often either.

4. More 3-&-outs forced by our defense. Get their offense off the field before the get in rhythm. If sacks come too, that'll be icing on the cake. Sacks are meaningless if the other guys still convert the third and longs.

I agree with this totally. I would also like to see Shaub drop a bomb down field to Jacoby or Mccardell or any of our new receivers for that matter. I know what Johnson is made of. It would also mean that the o line is giving Shaub enough time to make the big play. My theory on offense is to establish the run early (hopefully) and throw darts downfield. I just hope we protect Shaub better than New England or Tennessee did in their game last night. Brady and Young were taking some nasty hits!

ObsiWan
08-18-2007, 08:10 AM
I agree with this totally. I would also like to see Shaub drop a bomb down field to Jacoby or Mccardell or any of our new receivers for that matter. I know what Johnson is made of. It would also mean that the o line is giving Shaub enough time to make the big play. My theory on offense is to establish the run early (hopefully) and throw darts downfield. I just hope we protect Shaub better than New England or Tennessee did in their game last night. Brady and Young were taking some nasty hits!

Yeah, I saw that too.

...beautiful, wasn't it?
:D

jdog
08-18-2007, 09:18 AM
A few things I want to see regarding personnel...

I want to see Jacoby Jones play against Arizona's first team defense.

I want to see Jerome Mathis on a play against their first team.

I want some different player combinations in the first team secondary to see what works.

As far as improved play...

I want to see the following from the first team: sack(s), turnover(s), third down conversion(s), and touchdown(s).

In general, I'd like to see physical and competitive play.

tsip
08-18-2007, 09:22 AM
...maybe just a little bitty hint of a 'vertical' passing game that includes catching the ball

ObsiWan
08-18-2007, 09:38 AM
A few things I want to see regarding personnel...

I want to see Jacoby Jones play against Arizona's first team defense.

I want to see Jerome Mathis on a play against their first team.

I want some different player combinations in the first team secondary to see what works.

As far as improved play...

I want to see the following from the first team: sack(s), turnover(s), third down conversion(s), and touchdown(s).

In general, I'd like to see physical and competitive play.

Technically, those first three aren't "improvements"...

But I'm really glad you opened the "wish list" door. In fact, those first two you named are really high on my wish list too. And I already got one wish granted when Rodney Harrison CLOCKED Vince Young. (siiiigh... it was lovely)
So while I'm playing the "nice-to-have" game....

- Let Gado/Lundy play in place of Dayne with the twos. Dayne & Green can split the carries with the #1 offense.

- They've been raving about how Harry Williams has been having a great camp with the 3's and 4's. Let's see him play with the 2's.

- Cochran looked good late and was doing well in the practices I went to, throw him in with the 1's or 2's.

- How about we put our 4 X 40 relay team out there - on first down. Johnson, Jones, Davis, Mathis. The Cards aren't that strong in the secondary. Let's see what they do with that. And give the rest of the division something to worry about.

- I also wish for 3-4 sacks and 2-3 turnovers by our #1 defense. I don't care who gets them. It would be great press if it was Mario and Amobi getting the sacks. But I don't think that's as important as our #1 D makes a statement against an offense that has so many hyped players. They can't ignore us after that.

:texflag:

Pantherstang84
08-18-2007, 10:05 AM
You know. It's funny how the pendulum swings. Before TC (4 weeks ago), there were a good number of posters wondering why the Texans couldn't have gotten a WR#2 during the off-season. It seems to me like they got 3 or 4 of them.

So...

How about that scouting department?

tsip
08-18-2007, 01:02 PM
...here's a memory test and a question...Last preseason, most of the post were about winning those games. Many posters felt it was important to start winning games, any games. Fast forward to this year and almost no one cares if we win any games this pre-season. Just curious, what's the difference? What's changed?...thanks

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2007, 01:23 PM
...here's a memory test and a question...Last preseason, most of the post were about winning those games. Many posters felt it was important to start winning games, any games. Fast forward to this year and almost no one cares if we win any games this pre-season. Just curious, what's the difference? What's changed?...thanks

Come on. Every year it's like this, right?

If you're winning your preseason games, then it's a good thing. If you're not winning your preseason games, then it doesn't matter because it's preseason.

Last year, we needed to win some preseason games just for our confidence after going 2-14. This year... it would be nice to win our preseason games but... we were up 19-7 going into the 4th quarter and ended up getting outscored 13-0 in the 4th because we had BVP in. It's hard to feel bad about that. We won the first 3 quarters. :)

Let's just go out and kick some ass.

Thorn
08-18-2007, 01:35 PM
I want Schaub to prove me wrong about him, and I want to see Mario kick some butt.

As an added bonus, I would like to see one on the recievers step up and prove to be someone who can play along side AJ.