PDA

View Full Version : Why the hate for ESPN...

Luv_ya_blue
08-16-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm just curious as to why so many people on the boards despise ESPN so much.

I mean, I understand that they don't paint the Texans in an especially glowing light, but the truth is we haven't painted ourselves in a real great image in terms of track record imo.

I definitely don't think that ESPN is the end all to be all in any way shape or form. I just don't understand the outright hate that many of you guys associate with ESPN. It's like Bud Adams secretly owns stock in or gives a direct line of newsworthy information directly to them while they're on camera or something.

Perhaps I'm just blind and can't see.

From one Texan to another...help open my eyes to see.

Is it the Vince Young and Reggie Bush coverage?
I can see that! I'm routinely(sp) sickened by their holier-than-thou coverage of Bush.
:bat:
Don't flame me...I'm only asking! Certainly not trying to defend them but rather understand where all the emotions come from.

:texflag:

Yankee_In_TX
08-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Mentioning Billy Miller's dropped pass Saturday?

Texan_Bill
08-16-2007, 02:30 PM
It's not only some of things you mention LYB, but here's some others:

1. Bury Craig Biggio's 3000th hit 45 minutes into Sports Center (and to add insult to injury, behind "Who's Now?")
2. "Who's now?"
3. Same ol rubbish about the Texans without researching the team
4. Yankees v. Red Sox., Yankees v. Red Sox
5. Red Sox v. Yankees, Red Sox v. Yankees.
6. The Bronx is Burning (see Yankees v. Red Sox)
7. College Football coverage (outside of the North East)
8. oh yeah, (Thanks Yankee) Billy Miller??? Are you kidding me??

I have a lot more, but I don't want to get carpal tunnel syndrome...

gtexan02
08-16-2007, 02:32 PM
People hate ESPN because they are the ultimate in lazy journalism. They take whatever the popular media opinion at the time is, and go with it.

For example, the Texans an their OL problem.

if you ever hear them say anything about the Texas, it isALWAYS how bad the OL is.

They also for wahtever reason have always been down on Houston sports teams. No love for the Rockets, no love for the Astros during their world championship runs.

They als oflip flop their stance. Before the draft, VY was being railed on as worse than Cutler, and not a top 10 draft prospect. Then he's suddnely OROY and the Texans are suddenly stupid for passing on him.

That being said, the funny thing about ESPN and the Texans, is that they are usually right. We DO still have a weak OL, Mario still looks worse than either RB or VY, and we still have not had even 1 8-8 or better season.

Everyone wants respect and no one is willing to admit we've done nothing to earn it.

ESPN is a business, a capitalistic company, and thats what everone seems to forget. Why do the Yanks and Red Socks get so much air time? Why do teams like the Texans show up next to never? Because thats what America wants. its the same reason the Cowboys are always predictetd as the next Superbowl contener. They've got to make money, and the only ay to do that is to appeal to the greater interest.

I for one watch ESPN all the time. They are the most consistent sports news out there, and I'l take it over local stuff any day

mexican_texan
08-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Lazy journalism, over the top reporting, and they have employed both Joe Theisman and Michael Irvin. Not to mention their East coast bias.

Texan_Bill
08-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Pssssssssssst..... Joe Theisman no longer does football for ESPN. Shhhhhhh!! :whip:

Blazing Arrow
08-16-2007, 02:43 PM
They do not follow small market teams. Titans coverage is weak at best and when they do they usually screw up names.

Heath Shuler
08-16-2007, 02:46 PM
http://static.flickr.com/67/203175590_11256a8504_m.jpg
http://espn.go.com/i/magazine/new/skip_bayless_65x90.jpg
http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/stephen.jpg

And how they force feed junk they have a financial interest in down our throats, such as the WNBA.

swtbound07
08-16-2007, 02:48 PM
I hate espn for much the same reasons i hate sports illustrated. They might as well be a local east coast news station. All fans are hungry for information on their teams. If they chopped the time they spent on the red sox and yankees in HALF and divided that half-share among all of the rest of the professional baseball teams, most fans would be thrilled. I know every intimate detail of the yankees' woes this season thanks to espn. I have no idea why the royals are bad this year. Espn also likes to be its own self fulfilling prophecy. They were calling USC a dynasty 18 days before they lost to texas in the national championship. I hate non-objective coverage, I hate know it all prognosticators (i know, irony...but im not a journalist), and i hate that the state of texas gets dumped on everytime the big shots at espn feel obligated to mention us. And for making Reggie Bush a household name.

Texan_Bill
08-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the post T-Bill.
1-I've got no problem with your comments on Biggio. I think Bigg is everthing that is RIGHT with baseball but definitely isn't what it's about these days. He's not a big money guy...he's just a tremendous TEAM baseball player.
2-I kind of liked the Who's Now deal. At least it was original. The problem I had with it was that they should've let the fans vote on their top 20 athletes and then they could randomly put them in a bracket. I think Tiger would've still taken it.
3-Not sure what rubbish you mean? Poor OL...poor draft pick record...injury prone...poor decision making QB (don't mean Schaub)...poor record...all-world leaders in sacks...
Dude sometimes the truth hurts us all. We're getting better but they are a national news organization and they're expected to report "news." Not same old same old. No offense intended with that comment Bill.
4-6 - No problems with your comments here.
7-What don't you like about their college coverage? I don't follow.
8-I didn't hear anything on Billy Miller. Guess I missed it.

2. If they would have worked in "Who's Now?" at the end of SportsCenter I wouldn't have a problem with it, but let's report on sports first, and then add the fluff.
3. You are spot on with the "rubbish" that I was referring to... "The O-line", etc.. Did they report that the O-line gave up only 2 sacks against a good Bears Defense (O sacks with Starters in)??
7. I should have been clearer. I like their College Game Day pre-game show, but the way SportsCenter reports the scores, you can definitely pick-up on the Northeast bias that exists in journalism.
8. Yeah, they reported that the Texans' Billy Miller dropped a pass -or- the like (I can't remember the specifics now).

swtbound07
08-16-2007, 03:05 PM
SWT you hate EVERYTHING!
:shades:
Oh yeah...

:potkettle:
LOL

yeah...i really do. you didn't ask if it was valid hate...you just asked why i hated this particular thing. I am kind of a glass half empty guy

swtbound07
08-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Tell me this...
Do you honestly think that anyone would write letters in favor of girls softball, the little league world series, soccer, WNBA or hockey if ESPN dropped them? I don't.

They're just trying to keep a fledgling(sp) sport a float.

BTW I don't watch WNBA, just playing devil's advocate.

Edit: And FWIW...I CAN'T STAND STEPHEN SMITH!!!
He's like nails on a chalkboard!!!

i would speak out if they killed the little league world series. I think its great to let kids have a dream. They put it on espn 2, and i think its great for kids to have one moment they can brag about in their lives. I was a little league baseball kid. I dreamed of williamsport. Yeah, I'd write a letter.

Texan_Bill
08-16-2007, 03:08 PM
"Quite Frankly" I don't care what you think about me!!

Signed,
Stephen A. Smith.

Blazing Arrow
08-16-2007, 03:09 PM
yeah...i really do. you didn't ask if it was valid hate...you just asked why i hated this particular thing. I am kind of a glass half empty guy

When your a Texnas fan the glass is always less then half empty s oooo :splits:

Heath Shuler
08-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Tell me this...
Do you honestly think that anyone would write letters in favor of girls softball, the little league world series, soccer, WNBA or hockey if ESPN dropped them? I don't.

They're just trying to keep a fledgling(sp) sport a float.

BTW I don't watch WNBA, just playing devil's advocate.

Edit: And FWIW...I CAN'T STAND STEPHEN SMITH!!!
He's like nails on a chalkboard!!!

No, I think you have mistaken ESPN for some nonprofit organization. They are trying to make money.
For example; if ESPN had a mixed martial arts program, how much do you thing MMA coverage would increase on the network.

Mr. White
08-16-2007, 03:17 PM
I hate em because they jettisoned lumberjack competitions and strongman contests for 6 more daily hours of Sportscenter .

Heath Shuler
08-16-2007, 03:23 PM
I guess that I don't understand the link between ESPN and the WNBA. Are you saying that they own the WNBA?

I understand their money making ventures. But I wasn't aware the the WNBA was a part of that.

I also don't understand why you'd hate self promotion. If you owned a pastry shop...wouldn't you advertise pastries? Why would you want to advertise Egg McMuffins?

I don’t think the amount of time a “sport” has on Sports Center should be determined by whether or not ESPN has a contract with that league.

JohnsonFan
08-16-2007, 03:28 PM
i personally love espn , its the only channel i watch, i love pti, 1st and 10, nfl live and sportscenter! i dont understand how ppl can not love espn it gives u news in a fun intersting way! if u dont like it go read the newspaper

Double Barrel
08-16-2007, 03:48 PM
ESPN caters to the masses, so they dilute the product accordingly. If you want the social issue side of things, ESPN does great. The "E" is for entertainment, and as such, they pander with the stories of the day. TO has always been a good source, and lately it is the scandals of each sport that leads the show.

But if you want truly objective and critical analysis of a sport like the NFL, then you have to go to a better source like the NFL Network. While you won't get highlights of the hot-dog eating contest or find out who is the coolest on the planet, you will get pro football specific news, which is all I really care about anyway.

real
08-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Yep...NFLN is where it's at...

I hardly have time to watch any T.V at all, but when I do I'm normally watching something on NFLN....

JohnsonFan
08-16-2007, 04:53 PM

I hardly have time to watch any T.V at all, but when I do I'm normally watching something on NFLN.... not everyone can get nfln i am watching pti right now btw i love it! Tony is so funny!

real
08-16-2007, 04:55 PM
I would actually love to be able to watch PTI....I don't really gain any knowledge from the show, but I think they're entertaining...

*sigh*

oh well...

Texan_Bill
08-16-2007, 05:00 PM
When I get home from work, before I set anything down or empty my pockets - the TV goes on and the channel goes to 212.

real
08-16-2007, 05:01 PM
212!!!!!!!!!!

Specnatz
08-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Look there are things ESPN does that are great and a lot of things they do not do so well on.

They have some award winning writers and analyst who do not go with the party line ...

Michael Smith with football

I will even put Tim Kurkchin(sp) here as well. Although Peter Gammons is biased to the Red Sox he does tend to be fair when talking about other teams, to some degree. He did pick Roy Oswalt before the season as his Cy Young candidate.

Now for the parts I hate.

Most of the football writers and analyst do not do research what so ever. This includes Pro and college.

Anyone recall the crappy segment before USC vs texas National Championship game the who is the great college team in the history of football. Who did they say was the best team of all time. Yep thats right folks .... the 2005 USC team. You have to be kidding me, in the history of college football the 2005 USC team.

You want to bring up the o-line stuff, fine but Mark Schlereth said the Texans drafted no o-lineman this past year. which is great coming from a 10th round pick so he is saying that Stubbard and Frye are not O-loineman, I guess they are just big safeties.

Oh and yes and I pointed it out n a thread last sunday about Mark Schlereth saying Billy Miller was wide open in the end zone whem it was Kevin Walter.

It is not just about the Texans that irk me, it is the coverage and lack of in-depth research on any team that is not in the top eschilan or a huge market team. I am sure Tampa Bay, Arizona and Seattle are not liking the coverage they get. hell until the last two years the Saints got what kind of coverage. I bet it was crappy at best.

If you want to talk about baseball, look at the games they show yanks or mets 85% of the time and another 13% bosox. That leaves 2% for the rest of all the teams.

I understand Elle hates baseball, but what do you expect them to cover quilting? :sarcasm:

Brando
08-16-2007, 05:31 PM

I hardly have time to watch any T.V at all, but when I do I'm normally watching something on NFLN....

Thats right.

FYI Luv Ya Blue, They called Kevin Walter, "Billy Miller" on NFL Live the other day. They need to do their homework on the Texans.

MightyTExan
08-16-2007, 06:20 PM
If I see that footage of Vick walking to and from the courthouse one more time........................:bat: :gun:

Hardcore Texan
08-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Thats right.

FYI Luv Ya Blue, They called Kevin Walter, "Billy Miller" on NFL Live the other day. They need to do their homework on the Texans.

That is so espn....i can't believe they couldn't even get that right....geez, do they just refuse to gather facts or what?

JohnsonFan
08-16-2007, 08:39 PM
If I see that footage of Vick walking to and from the courthouse one more time........................:bat: :gun: i have seen that 100000 times:gun: :gun:

sakebomb
08-16-2007, 11:46 PM
ESPN gets on my nerves as well but if the Texans would have simply drafted Bush we all would be loving the coverage he would have brought to our team.

2BCF
08-17-2007, 12:02 AM
"Quite Frankly" I don't care what you think about me!!

Signed,
Stephen A. Smith.

SAS is a big steamy pile of $#&*

TexanSam
08-17-2007, 12:03 AM
i would speak out if they killed the little league world series. I think its great to let kids have a dream. They put it on espn 2, and i think its great for kids to have one moment they can brag about in their lives. I was a little league baseball kid. I dreamed of williamsport. Yeah, I'd write a letter.

I enjoy watching Little League baseball as well but I cringe a little knowing that at least one of those managers is probably a General Patton with his team of 10 year olds.

Second Honeymoon
08-17-2007, 12:52 AM
It's not only some of things you mention LYB, but here's some others:

1. Bury Craig Biggio's 3000th hit 45 minutes into Sports Center (and to add insult to injury, behind "Who's Now?")
2. "Who's now?"
3. Same ol rubbish about the Texans without researching the team
4. Yankees v. Red Sox., Yankees v. Red Sox
5. Red Sox v. Yankees, Red Sox v. Yankees.
6. The Bronx is Burning (see Yankees v. Red Sox)
7. College Football coverage (outside of the North East)
8. oh yeah, (Thanks Yankee) Billy Miller??? Are you kidding me??

I have a lot more, but I don't want to get carpal tunnel syndrome...

Who's Now? More like Who greenlighted that segment. Just total garbage.

Yeah with their baseball coverage you would think that only 2 teams were in the whole league. And the endless 24/7 Bonds homer watch was hard to stomach.

When my Cardinals punked the Mets last year, the coverage was just pathetic. It was basically all about the Mets and their failure to get to the World Series and not about STL getting there. Just pathetic. You could hear it in the announcers voice....Detroit v. St Louis. It was like they had just had their dreams shattered.

Thank god the Spankees are circling the drain and the Mets might not even make the playoffs....

Their Texans coverage is horrible ever since that stupid ESPN commercial for the 04 draft where Carr had no blockers....that teed me off to no end.

Double Barrel
08-17-2007, 10:07 AM
ESPN gets on my nerves as well but if the Texans would have simply drafted Bush we all would be loving the coverage he would have brought to our team.

No, they would constantly talk about how the sorry Houston Texans ruined the greatest player to play the game since Gayle Sayers, regardless if it's true or not.

As much as we think RB would have elevated the perception of the Texans, I think it would have been the opposite, where the Texans lowered people's perceptions of RB. Just look at how Schaub was perceived before he signed with us and after.

Mr teX
08-17-2007, 10:32 AM
I can see the whole Yankees vs. Red Sox & the "who's now?" things but with all that's going on in sports i think they do their best to try to cover all bases. If i want more regional coverage, I'll just hit up a fox sports regional channel.

I saw nothing wrong with the coverage of Biggio's 3000th hit. Yeah it was marvelous for us, but why do you give preference to him when Thomas smacked his 500th on the same day i believe & oh, yeah the Barry Bonds Saga was building towards it's climax. A-rod was close to his 500th i believe around the same time as well.

Brando
08-17-2007, 11:52 AM
I forgot to mention that I like Michael Smith. He is the only one that does his homework concerning the Texans.

The1ApplePie
08-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Replacing the Strong Man contests with Poker.

I'd much rather watch Magnus toss a sofa over a building than I would some jack ass playing Poker.

Mr teX
08-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Yeah, i also forgot to mention that WSOP crap & that X-games garbage.

I rather watch the Outdoor games before both of those.

swtbound07
08-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah, i also forgot to mention that WSOP crap & that X-games garbage.

I rather watch the Outdoor games before both of those.

people who don't understand poker, won't. ESPN and the WSOP has made me untold amounts of money by convincing everybody that they could do it. bless them.

Wolf
08-17-2007, 01:05 PM
I went into a restaurant last year and Foxsports had darts....DARTS for crying out loud...I'd rather watch Michael Jordan or Ben Afflick pulling on the dollar slot machines than that :gun:

Mr teX
08-17-2007, 01:08 PM
people who don't understand poker, won't. ESPN and the WSOP has made me untold amounts of money by convincing everybody that they could do it. bless them.

keep stingin' em SWT, But is it really that exciting to watch Dale Brunson play dead & stare off into space while some unsuspecting young hot shot gets taken?

Wolf
08-17-2007, 01:08 PM
I didn't realize that ESPN had killed the Stihl Timbersports Series.
I loved to watch that.
My wife will be FURIOUS!!!

I used to watch that if I happen to catch it on TV... I was amazed at the skill those guys had with an axe ... esp the one where they put notches in a tree, put a board in the notch, stood on that board, made another notch .. whatever it was called

now the strongest man competition... those are some extreme nuts (no offense) but from what i gather it is men being men, ego's going about who could pull a train so far or pick up a giant boulder and put it on a stand

awtysst
08-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Let me give you MY favorite reasons for dogging ESPN:
6. Poker.
I like poker as much as the next guy(well maybe not as much as swtbound07) but honestly this is something that belongs on ESPN. Maybe a little bit of poker but not in prime time and not during baseball season.

5. Darts and Billards.
Cmon guys. Are you telling me that ESPN is running out of things to show that they resort to bar games?

4.Dominos and Backgammon, and scrabble
Dominos, Backgammon, and scrabble and are games and not even close to being considered sports. How this gets on ESPN I will never know. I mean miniature golf is more a sport than this. Oh crap, I hope someone from ESPN is not reading this!

3. Chess vs a computer
Yeah, not only did ESPN televise chess they televised Gary Kaparov vs Big Blue. Why? I don't know either.

2. Magic: the Gathering
I thought this would be number 1. I mean back in the mid 90's ESPN televised a Magic the Gathering tournament. I don't know the rules or what exactly you are supposed to do, but whenever I used to rag on ESPN this was the crowning jewel of my argument...until this morning that is.

1. Cup Stacking
Yes, you read correctly. This morning (August 17, 2007) ESPN had a cup stacking competition where kids were timed to see how fast they could stack cups in a specific order. Yeah, cup stacking. Let me write that again so that you can really appreciate it. ESPN TELEVISED KIDS STACKING CUPS.

And people wonder why ESPN has gone down the crapper.

Mr teX
08-17-2007, 01:22 PM
6. Poker.
I like poker as much as the next guy(well maybe not as much as swtbound07) but honestly this is something that belongs on ESPN. Maybe a little bit of poker but not in prime time and not during baseball season.

5. Darts and Billards.
Cmon guys. Are you telling me that ESPN is running out of things to show that they resort to bar games?

Dominos, Backgammon, and scrabble and are games and not even close to being considered sports. How this gets on ESPN I will never know. I mean miniature golf is more a sport than this. Oh crap, I hope someone from ESPN is not reading this!

3. Chess vs a computer
Yeah, not only did ESPN televise chess they televised Gary Kaparov vs Big Blue. Why? I don't know either.

I thought this would be number 1. I mean back in the mid 90's ESPN televised a Magic the Gathering tournament. I don't know the rules or what exactly you are supposed to do, but whenever I used to rag on ESPN this was the crowning jewel of my argument...until this morning that is.

1. Cup Stacking
Yes, you read correctly. This morning (August 17, 2007) ESPN had a cup stacking competition where kids were timed to see how fast they could stack cups in a specific order. Yeah, cup stacking. Let me write that again so that you can really appreciate it. ESPN TELEVISED KIDS STACKING CUPS.

I saw a video to this in the Guiness book of WR shop in SA & i'm not gonna lie, i was rather impressed with the speed those kids were stacking/unstacking those cups. Of course i had to try it, (they had a little display) & ....... well you could probably guess what happened LOL.

Specnatz
08-17-2007, 01:25 PM
ESPN was originaly founded on showing darts, billards, strongman, and the lumber jack competitions. So I will not complain when they show that.

But what really made me laugh my freakin ass off was the world rock paper scissors competiton. Really what kind of strategy do you really have to have .. Now you want to talk about revenge of the nerds. hahaha

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/Specnatz/weakestlink.gif

Texan_Bill
08-17-2007, 01:25 PM
I can see the whole Yankees vs. Red Sox & the "who's now?" things but with all that's going on in sports i think they do their best to try to cover all bases. If i want more regional coverage, I'll just hit up a fox sports regional channel.

I saw nothing wrong with the coverage of Biggio's 3000th hit. Yeah it was marvelous for us, but why do you give preference to him when Thomas smacked his 500th on the same day i believe & oh, yeah the Barry Bonds Saga was building towards it's climax. A-rod was close to his 500th i believe around the same time as well.

Both Biggio's and Thomas' accomplishments were marvelous for ALL sports fans that enjoy positive baseball stories......

I dont put Biggio's accomplishment above Frank Thomas'. But Thomas' story got burried too... The first 25-30 minutes of Sports Center that night, covered Vick, Doneghy, Yankees, Red Sox and "Who's now?".... Bonds and A-rod were close, but hadn't broken any their records yet, so why would that be a bigger story than someone hitting 500 and someone hitting 3000?

swtbound07
08-17-2007, 01:40 PM
keep stingin' em SWT, But is it really that exciting to watch Dale Brunson play dead & stare off into space while some unsuspecting young hot shot gets taken?

poker on television is nothing more, nothing less than a giant study session. Im all the time picking up new strategies to play different hands different ways. Every single time. My favorite play is one that David Williams destroyed Josh Arieh With at the final table. It was an homage to marcel luske, and one that i've used successfully repeatedly. It involves low to mid pocket pairs and being out of position. so yeah, i watch almost religiously.

Mr teX
08-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Both Biggio's and Thomas' accomplishments were marvelous for ALL sports fans that enjoy positive baseball stories......

I dont put Biggio's accomplishment above Frank Thomas'. But Thomas' story got burried too... The first 25-30 minutes of Sports Center that night, covered Vick, Doneghy, Yankees, Red Sox and "Who's now?".... Bonds and A-rod were close, but hadn't broken any their records yet, so why would that be a bigger story than someone hitting 500 and someone hitting 3000?

As long as they payed homage to biggio is all i cared about. I actually liked the way they did it too. Even though it got buried, when they did talk about it, they did the whole numbers montage type of thing that they do with john Clayton.

But ESPN & sportscenter are no different than any other news station. they're gonna talk about the bad stuff b4 they talk about the good. that is unless, the good extraordinarily outweighs the bad. (see rockets champoinships)

swtbound07
08-17-2007, 02:08 PM
welcome to how i feel when i see blue text in the religion forum

Double Barrel
08-17-2007, 02:29 PM
I used to make fun of people watching people play cards....but the I've actually got hooked a couple of times and found it intriguing, even though I'm not a gambler.

Spelling bees is where I draw the line, though. Even though it's relegated to ESPN2, I just can't bring myself to watching kids spell words I've never heard of before.

Specnatz
08-17-2007, 02:30 PM
I used to make fun of people watching people play cards....but the I've actually got hooked a couple of times and found it intriguing, even though I'm not a gambler.

Spelling bees is where I draw the line, though. Even though it's relegated to ESPN2, I just can't bring myself to watching kids spell words I've never heard of before.

Yeah I agree with you, I have never heard of any of those damn kids either.

HoustonFrog
08-17-2007, 02:50 PM

I will watch because when we get together with my wives family we always play Hold Em. In fact her one bro was in the World Series one year. They love to play and take my money. I just laugh at the terminology and the announcers..."he flopped the nuts!!"

The Pencil Neck
08-17-2007, 03:16 PM
6. Poker.

5. Darts and Billards.

3. Chess vs a computer

1. Cup Stacking

Hello?

SPELLING BEE?!

Spled
08-18-2007, 11:26 PM
"Who's Now?" - the worst extended segment in the history of journalism. They could have some NBA journeyman like Nene up against a champion in a smaller sport like Kelly Slater and the NBA player was more "now".

Michael Wilbon says on "Pardon the Interruption" that Jose Offerman shouldn't be punished for hitting a pitcher in the head with a baseball bat and sending him to a hospital. He argues that this will cut down on beanballs.

Merril Hoge on Vince Young - "mid round pick at best".

Bonds is "innocent until proven guilty", but Pete Rose should be thrown out of baseball based on compelling evidence the Commissioner discovered. Inconsistent much?

Pick an anchor reality show. Are any of those guys still around? They should have went with Matt Bullard.

Why'd they get rid of Charley Steiner?

nfl-brit
08-19-2007, 03:45 PM
That being said, the funny thing about ESPN and the Texans, is that they are usually right. We DO still have a weak OL, Mario still looks worse than either RB or VY, and we still have not had even 1 8-8 or better season.

Everyone wants respect and no one is willing to admit we've done nothing to earn it.

Personally, I love any coverage of the NFL that I can get!:heart:

I have to agree with this quote, though. We'll be taken seriously when that's how we play.

TxDavid
08-21-2007, 01:47 PM
How about the MNF coverage? I have no problem with the interviews of the quarterbacks, but they can be taped and played at a more convenient time. And do we really need to see a close up of them while the game is progressing?

Both interviews interrupted critical points in the game - During Rex's interview, there was a penalty - but I had no idea what it was because the interview was more critical.... And during Manning's there was an interception. Did they stop the interview, nope- game is not as important apparently. Stop the chatter and cover the game for goodness sake! If I want to see a bunch of BS gabbing, I'd watch reality tv.

TxDavid
08-21-2007, 01:48 PM

The Pencil Neck
08-21-2007, 02:19 PM
How about the MNF coverage? I have no problem with the interviews of the quarterbacks, but they can be taped and played at a more convenient time. And do we really need to see a close up of them while the game is progressing?

I've seen that in a lot of the preseason games so far. By the local commentators as well as the national network commentators. Hopefully, they'll get that out of their system by the time the season starts.

Specnatz
08-21-2007, 02:24 PM
I've seen that in a lot of the preseason games so far. By the local commentators as well as the national network commentators. Hopefully, they'll get that out of their system by the time the season starts.

Honestly I do not see espn asking about a guy dropping the snap 3 times during the regular season without the need for a 8 second delay and lots of bleeps to go with it.