PDA

View Full Version : Levi Brown vs. Texans D-Line

beerlover
08-15-2007, 12:15 PM
I know its only pre-season but this is a dream match-up for me to watch :) Levi will start @ RT (starter Oliver Ross is injured) so he will get considerable game time experience & it will be fun to watch him protect Matt Leinart against the Texans pass rush. it would really be interesting to see Mario Williams vs. Levi Brown head to head match-up but since Mario plays RDE it seems remote.

A key area the Texans need to address in this game will be improving the pass rush. The rookie (Levi Brown) should be in for a long day of learning welcoming him into the NFL- baptism by fire :hothboy:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0815cardsnb0815.html

jdog
08-15-2007, 12:45 PM
I hope we can get good pressure against the Cardinals. Their offensive line gets almost as much criticism as ours.

By the way, I still love the Bears not getting a sack on Schaub.

gtexan02
08-15-2007, 12:59 PM
I hope we can get good pressure against the Cardinals. Their offensive line gets almost as much criticism as ours.

By the way, I still love the Bears not getting a sack on Schaub.

It was nice that he didn't get sacked, but he only attempted 5 passes and at least a few of those were quick releases.

It was have been almost impossible for him to get sacked

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Arizona's coach thought that Brown did well with his run blocking, but had lot's of work on his pass blocking/protection. I always thought that Brown had that same balance coming into the NFL, making him more a RT candidate. With any semblance of a rush from the left, especially with stunting, this rookie will get turned around. I'm sure that the LB's and secondary will hug the left just a little more to try to shut down the strong side run.

real
08-15-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm not that high on Levi...I think 5 was waaaay to early to take him...Maybe around 15 or so would have been good...

No doubt he's a good man run blocker but, IMHO, that's just about all he's good at...

The Pencil Neck
08-15-2007, 01:54 PM
It was nice that he didn't get sacked, but he only attempted 5 passes and at least a few of those were quick releases.

It was have been almost impossible for him to get sacked

Out of his 5 passes, one was a bootleg, one was a 3 step drop, and there were at least 2 5 step drops. I think that last one was a 5 step drop as well but I couldn't tell from the tape because they didn't show his full drop. On the one that Walters dropped, it was a 5 step drop but he took another couple of baby steps to dodge the rush.

This stuff about all we do is throw 3 step drop passes because our protection is so bad is starting to be a pet peeve of mine. Most of our passes are 5 step drops.

ObsiWan
08-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Out of his 5 passes, one was a bootleg, one was a 3 step drop, and there were at least 2 5 step drops. I think that last one was a 5 step drop as well but I couldn't tell from the tape because they didn't show his full drop. On the one that Walters dropped, it was a 5 step drop but he took another couple of baby steps to dodge the rush.

This stuff about all we do is throw 3 step drop passes because our protection is so bad is starting to be a pet peeve of mine. Most of our passes are 5 step drops.

Sure would be sweet if we could get the all-22 viewpoint instead of the sucky network feed.

beerlover
08-15-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm not that high on Levi...I think 5 was waaaay to early to take him...Maybe around 15 or so would have been good...

No doubt he's a good man run blocker but, IMHO, that's just about all he's good at...

the risk reward is almost as great for Offensive Tackles as it is for QB's you never know for sure, you project the best you can & hope your system works to his strengths.

if Levi was available @ 10 I would have taken him over Okoye, he can play the left or the right side it just so happens Matt Leinart is lefthanded. while some suggest this plays into his strength I just don't see it after being Joe Pa's starting LT @ Penn State four years. for his size & bulk hes developed nimble feet & better technique than you might expect, hence the projection & the fact these big guys are rare & hard to aquire.

Vinny
08-15-2007, 02:34 PM
It was have been almost impossible for him to get sackedThat isn't really correct...there were a couple of plays (at least one for sure) where Carr probably takes a sack...especially the one to Walter that he dropped.

Vinny
08-15-2007, 02:36 PM
the risk reward is almost as great for Offensive Tackles as it is for QB's you never know for sure, you project the best you can & hope your system works to his strengths.

if Levi was available @ 10 I would have taken him over Okoye, he can play the left or the right side it just so happens Matt Leinart is lefthanded. while some suggest this plays into his strength I just don't see it after being Joe Pa's starting LT @ Penn State four years. for his size & bulk hes developed nimble feet & better technique than you might expect, hence the projection & the fact these big guys are rare & hard to aquire.

what's your obsession with the Penn St T? He is in your avatar and you seem kinda obsessed with him....right now he is just a rookie who has yet to prove anything....come clean, he's your brother in law right?

HOU-TEX
08-15-2007, 02:40 PM
That isn't really correct...there were a couple of plays (at least one for sure) where Carr probably takes a sack...especially the one to Walter that he dropped.

I agree. Carr would've been curled up like a little pill bug by the time the DB touched him.:wild:

Let's face it. Teams are going to bring the house on us until we burn them. It's our history, stack the box because they can't beat us through the air. I pray that times will change this season.:texflag:

real
08-15-2007, 02:43 PM
I pray that times will change this season.:texflag:

They will...As soon as they blitz and leave A.J 1 on 1 and he takes a 5 yard slant 75 yards for a score...

The1ApplePie
08-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Brown would have been worthless in Houston. He's a big monster, made for Whisenhunt's power run, but would have been useless in the ZBS.

HOU-TEX
08-15-2007, 03:11 PM
They will...As soon as they blitz and leave A.J 1 on 1 and he takes a 5 yard slant 75 yards for a score...

:drool:

JohnsonFan
08-15-2007, 03:55 PM
i think our o-line had definitly imroved over the last couple years, still is not the best it can be but it good now, i mean with bears D schaub not sacked! thats a first!

threetoedpete
08-15-2007, 04:20 PM
what's your obsession with the Penn St T? He is in your avatar and you seem kinda obsessed with him....right now he is just a rookie who has yet to prove anything....come clean, he's your brother in law right?

Well vinny one thing is for sure they take LB at ten he would of been the best player on the roster.

real
08-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Well vinny one thing is for sure they take LB at ten he would of been the best player on the roster.

LMAO!!! BWWWAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA

Signed,

Andre Johnson

Vinny
08-15-2007, 04:37 PM

I don't understand this...what does this have to do with Beerlover's obsession with Levi Brown? I mean...that's Levi Brown in his avatar...just wondering what the deal is since he has been non stop Levi Brown pimping since way before the draft.

JohnsonFan
08-15-2007, 04:40 PM
I don't understand this...what does this have to do with Beerlover's obsession with Levi Brown? I mean...that's Levi Brown in his avatar...just wondering what the deal is since he has been non stop Levi Brown pimping since way before the draft.

mabey its a weird obsession that he just cant get rid of?

nunusguy
08-15-2007, 04:54 PM
I think a lot of people must be underestimating Brown ? I know I was, because I really thought that Joe Staley was a better prospect than Brown as a LT. And of course Brown is in effect the LT in AZ because as
the teams RT he will be the one responsible for lefty Leinerts backside.
But I was stunned to see hin go #5 overall, but the new AZ HC was a longtime OC for the Steelers so gotta assume he knows offensive personnel. Beerlover hyped him early but to his credit he defintely saw the talent that a lot of us didn't. #5 overall is definitely testimony to that fact.

Vinny
08-15-2007, 04:57 PM
beerlover is a good dude...just has a weird obsession with Brown....not trying to be mean, but I am needling him since I see Levi Brown every time he posts.

Honoring Earl 34
08-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Why is everyone else's #1s better than ours ? :wild:

Tampa's 2008 #1 is better than our 2008 #1 pick .... miss cleo .

threetoedpete
08-15-2007, 05:06 PM

Oh I'll still take ours over Gains.

Vinny
08-15-2007, 05:06 PM

yeah...I was watching the Bucs play on NFL network and saw Gaines Adams and thought to myself....OMG why can't Mario play like this?

Honoring Earl 34
08-15-2007, 05:12 PM
yeah...I was watching the Bucs play on NFL network and saw Gaines Adams and thought to myself....OMG why can't Mario play like this?

I wonder ... this is only a test , just playing .... if you called Tampa and said we'll trade you Mario for Adams , I wonder if they'd do it .

bigbrewster2000
08-15-2007, 05:26 PM
I think a lot of people must be underestimating Brown ? I know I was, because I really thought that Joe Staley was a better prospect than Brown as a LT. And of course Brown is in effect the LT in AZ because as
the teams RT he will be the one responsible for lefty Leinerts backside.
But I was stunned to see hin go #5 overall, but the new AZ HC was a longtime OC for the Steelers so gotta assume he knows offensive personnel. Beerlover hyped him early but to his credit he defintely saw the talent that a lot of us didn't. #5 overall is definitely testimony to that fact.

I think the only thing that says is Arizona was desperate for a Tackle and Thomas wasnt there so they took what they thought was the next best thing. Not really a bad pick but maybe a bit of a reach. So I don't think it's really testimony to anything. JMO

beerlover
08-16-2007, 03:33 AM

I just never bothered to change it or gave it any thought since the draft, same goes for my sig. maybe its time to change...........nah :)

http://media.bonnint.net/az/1/189/18956.jpg

Vinny
08-16-2007, 03:54 AM
just razzing you....one day we will get you your first round Tackle BL...click your ruby slippers three times...

kiwitexansfan
08-16-2007, 03:54 AM
I am not sure that the jersey he is holding has much chance of fitting him.

Maybe they were using his games jersey as a sun shade.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-16-2007, 03:58 AM
Forget Levi Brown. I'd like to know why so many teams passed up on Jared Gaither in the supplemental draft. The kid has been starting in place of the injured Jonathan Ogden and has looked great up to now. He's been by far the most impressive rookie I have seen in the offseason.

BattleRedToro
08-16-2007, 06:30 AM
Forget Levi Brown. I'd like to know why so many teams passed up on Jared Gaither in the supplemental draft. The kid has been starting in place of the injured Jonathan Ogden and has looked great up to now. He's been by far the most impressive rookie I have seen in the offseason.

Yes and for a 5th Round pick. I'm still upset at the Texans for passing up on that. There is no way that next year in the 5th Round there will be anybody close to Gaither's talent available at OT.

nunusguy
08-16-2007, 09:29 AM
I won't forget Levi Brown, but your point about Gaither is totally valid.
In many mocks just a few months ago before the Draft we saw Gaither ranked
right up there among top tackles including Joe Thomas & Levi Brown, so its puzzling why he lasted to the fifth round in the Supp Draft ?
Re the Texans, you know they had to have some interest in him giving their continuing unresoved issues at OT, but as a result of the Schaub trade they are Draft-picks poor. Also I think there was some offfield issues with Gaither,
so maybe this was a larger concern there than we know ?

HuttoKarl
08-16-2007, 10:52 AM
just razzing you....one day we will get you your first round Tackle BL...click your ruby slippers three times...

There are some nice OT's coming out next season...I wouldn't be shocked if we got one. Getting a Jake Long or whatever would perhaps make the media shut up about our godawful O-Line (with 3/5 of the starters on the IR)that didn't do any worse than the "super" Vikings with Steve Hutchinson and Mount McKinney.

beerlover
08-16-2007, 04:27 PM
I've stated many, many times I like what Charles Spencer brings to the table & truely hope he recovers 100%. he was a great draft pick & what you hope to find in the 3rd thereby using your top draft picks on other skilled positions. However someday maybe sooner than latter the Texans will have to spend their 1st rd. pick on one.

We've expoused several pages on the draft board regarding our group "man-love" on this particular player or that one its just early on I targeted in on Levi Brown because with Spencers injury & Carrs demise I felt the Texans highest priority had to be a left tackle. At the time, as some have already hinted, Levi was considered a late 1st rd. pick so I felt the need to inform other Texans fans who venture on this board that he could be the one we've been looking for so many drafts.

I watched him play every opportunity, scouted as a fan, read all the articles I could find about him, listened to interviews & subscribed to professional scouting services as I've done each year for the past three years as Texanitis reared its season ending, ugly, frustrating head. year after year went by passing first on Gross (good decision) then Jammal Brown (who incidently was rated higher than Levi Brown) & Alex Barron in 05. with the #1 overall pick the Texans selected Mario & could not work out details of a trade to move down (Casserlys price too high) & select D'Brickashaw Ferguson. then last year choosing not to trade down & get Joe Staley who the 49ers traded up for from N.E.

So you see its more a succession of events (ie players) that have really peeked my interest in the LT position rather than any single player for more insight (those so inclined) I recommend picking up a copy of Michael Lewis excellent book "The Blind Side" it will help you understand the value of these powerful, fleetfooted giants who practice the art of defense against the new wave of hybred DE's like Mario Williams. The key for the great ones tends to be their mental approach, they never give up & use sound fundamentals with strong physical attributes applying seemless adjustments to an ever changing landscape.

- That being said I hope the Texans teach Levi Brown a lesson. He will learn, the great ones do for this is the process of deveolping franchise tackles.

- Gaither character is suspect not to mention his mental facilities don't appear to be all there.

- Long is intriguing, he is strong, smart & tough should be taken mid first which might be about where the Texans select next year.

- A player I'll be watching (Boston College) is Gosder Cherilus. BC produces excellent offensive lineman like Michigan, Penn State & Oklahoma.

- If someone doesnt rep me for this I'll give it a rest, maybe in the desert.

badboy
08-16-2007, 04:49 PM
by next draft we will have a very good idea if we need to use a high pick on LT. I sure hope not. What if Spencer heals and proves in the last part of this season he is real deal? What if Walter or Jacoby or heck, even Mathis can be #2 WR? Or Bennett is CB and Harrison or someone can play FS? What oh what do we do with our 1st rounder then? Wahahaah!

bigbrewster2000
08-17-2007, 11:35 AM
by next draft we will have a very good idea if we need to use a high pick on LT. I sure hope not. What if Spencer heals and proves in the last part of this season he is real deal? What if Walter or Jacoby or heck, even Mathis can be #2 WR? Or Bennett is CB and Harrison or someone can play FS? What oh what do we do with our 1st rounder then? Wahahaah!

You bring up good points, and I brought this up in another thread. There is absolutely no point in trying to figure out what we need in the draft next year. Guys are going to improve or decline throughout the season, so trying to deciding what position we need in the draft probably should not be mentioned until the end of the season.

As far as Beer Lovers post, you are right on and you have been reped. LT is really important and eventually our team is in fact going to use a 1st rounder on an olineman, however it may end up being later rather than sooner (which may not be a bad thing) We have to see how Weary, Spencer, and Winston look at the end of the season because those could all be potentially upgraded one way or another next season if things don't go well.

real
08-17-2007, 11:50 AM
You bring up good points, and I brought this up in another thread. There is absolutely no point in trying to figure out what we need in the draft next year.

I disagree...

Though we can never actually predict round for round what the Texans are thinking, I could have told you last year before the season what we'd need going into the '07 draft...

Yes it's true that some may step up, but I'll go out on a limb and say we will still need secondary help next year...a Center, More help at tackle, and LB help...Depending on what the backs do and who emerges, we may need RB help...

I don't think it's that unrealistic to look down the road to next years draft....

DBCooper
08-17-2007, 12:43 PM
I disagree...

Though we can never actually predict round for round what the Texans are thinking, I could have told you last year before the season what we'd need going into the '07 draft...

Yes it's true that some may step up, but I'll go out on a limb and say we will still need secondary help next year...a Center, More help at tackle, and LB help...Depending on what the backs do and who emerges, we may need RB help...

I don't think it's that unrealistic to look down the road to next years draft....

Don't forget about free agency.

bigbrewster2000
08-17-2007, 12:52 PM
I disagree...

My point was there is no point in doing so because things change.

real
08-17-2007, 01:47 PM
My point was there is no point in doing so because things change.

To each his own.

badboy
08-17-2007, 01:52 PM
To each his own.Some one may step up and take you to dinner every night next week but it doesn't hurt to get shopping list for the grocery just in case.

beerlover
08-18-2007, 07:57 PM
out of town so I could not catch the win today by the :texflag: but I would appreciate feedback on our defensive line play & the performance of Levi Brown?

who matched up against who? was there QB pressure for a change? who controlled the line of scrimmage?

BeerTastesLikeVictory
08-18-2007, 09:04 PM
out of town so I could not catch the win today by the :texflag: but I would appreciate feedback on our defensive line play & the performance of Levi Brown?

who matched up against who? was there QB pressure for a change? who controlled the line of scrimmage?

I think if you read the other threads you will see. I focused on the Williams, Okoye side and I was less than impressed. I am not read to bring out the "B" word, but some work needs to be done. On the other side of the ball, I am the most exited I have been since the Texans first game.