STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Just reported on 610.

real
08-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Good. He looked like he was hungry...

Errant Hothy
08-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Very happy about this, I've hoped the Calrk would be the starter since he signed.

The Dude Abides
08-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Is that just for the next pre-season game or his for the rest of it?

Overalls
08-14-2007, 03:32 PM

I would say it depends on how he plays. If he keeps beating people out, he's the starter. If not, someone else is.

Specnatz
08-14-2007, 03:32 PM
So what happened to Charlie Anderson? Can you please explain what they said because I was not listening to it.

nunusguy
08-14-2007, 03:34 PM

I'm wondering the same thing ?
Do the Texans just want to give him the most reps so they can take a real good look-see, or is he in fact their #1 on the DC (if they were to publish a current DC, which they don't, or haven't so far) ?

infantrycak
08-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Sounds like at least for now it is officially just for the next game. From today's report:

“He is pushing Charlie (Anderson) really hard for his job and he deserves a chance to get in there with the ones,” Kubiak said. “He was really special the other night. He did some really good stuff.”

Kubiak was speaking of Clark’s performance Saturday night, when he made quite an impact on special teams.

“Eleven out of the 12 plays on special teams were super,” Kubiak said of Clark. “He would have been our special teams player of the game, him or Kris (Brown). He’s basically telling you as a coach, ‘Hey, get me on the field some more,’ so we’re going to give him that chance to do that.”

Clark, nicknamed “Dan the Assassin” by teammates, is coming off a season with New Orleans where he did not record a start for the first time since his rookie season in 2000. Although he won’t resort to “knocking off” his competitors, Clark is looking to do whatever he can to climb the depth chart and earn a starting spot.

“I understand that I started off second on the depth chart when I got into camp (here),” Clark said. “Once I get it, I’m not going to let it go. At the end of the day, I’ve got to fight for what I want.”

Still, Clark doesn’t want his determination to earn starting time to shroud his belief in collective success and teamwork.

“It’s all about (the) team, though,” Clark said. “I can’t sit and talk to you guys about myself longer than five seconds. I’m a big fan of a team guy. I want to help us win.”

Link (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3498)

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-14-2007, 03:46 PM
When they reported it, it sounded like it was Clark's job to lose from here on out. They quoted Kubiak as saying it was more of what Danny Clark had shown in workouts, training camp, the Bears game, etc. than anything Charlie Anderson did.

nunusguy
08-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Sounds like at least for now it is officially just for the next game.

If it's just a single game thing for a guy who really wants to bust his butt to
play, I dunno why they don't let Babin start in Marios place in the desert Saturday ?

Porky
08-14-2007, 03:52 PM
First, I really love Clark's attitude. I wish Mario had that same kind of fire, for that matter, the other 52.

Second, it's kind of confusing on several levels. Kubes has been raving about Charlie Anderson, and how he has been playing great, and deserved to start.

Then in this piece, he uses Clarks great ST play as reasoning to send him into the starters role at SLB? That makes no sense to me. If ST play equates to playing time or ability on O or D then why wasn't Bill Bates an all-pro safety?

Lucky
08-14-2007, 03:58 PM
They quoted Kubiak as saying it was more of what Danny Clark had shown in workouts, training camp, the Bears game, etc. than anything Charlie Anderson did.
If that were true, wouldn't Clark have started the preseason game? Obviously, it was something Anderson did (or didn't do) in the Bears game that pushed the coaches to demote him. I saw Anderson miss a tackle on Benson, other than that I didn't notice much. I'm sure they have their reasons.

Specnatz
08-14-2007, 03:59 PM
I think Orr might looking to carpool with BVP to save money on a ride out of town.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/Specnatz/drive2.gif

Errant Hothy
08-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Mr. Clark is about to be on 610...maybe...hell, they don't know so neither do I.

OK so he is.

real
08-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Clark looked really good on special teams last weekend...

I didn't realize he was as athletic as he is...

Mr teX
08-14-2007, 04:06 PM
I think Orr might looking to carpool with BVP to save money on a ride out of town.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/Specnatz/drive2.gif

Orr was never a starter. He's a depth guy, we just haven't had the talent to not start him. He would come in every preseason & rip it up for a little & then when the season started, i'd forget he was even on the field.

It is for that reason among others, i don't pay much attention to preseason playmakers. I remember around this time last year everyone was high on greg anderson & how they thought he should see some time. Fast forward & he is most likely to be on the practice squad AGAIN.

HOU-TEX
08-14-2007, 04:08 PM
First, I really love Clark's attitude. I wish Mario had that same kind of fire, for that matter, the other 52.

Second, it's kind of confusing on several levels. Kubes has been raving about Charlie Anderson, and how he has been playing great, and deserved to start.

Then in this piece, he uses Clarks great ST play as reasoning to send him into the starters role at SLB? That makes no sense to me. If ST play equates to playing time or ability on O or D then why wasn't Bill Bates an all-pro safety?

I don't think it's anything to get upset about. To me it's just saying Clark played well enough and earned a chance to play with the ones. It might just be proof that even if a player tears up the field in practice it doesn't always translate to gameday (sound familiar?). I don't know if Anderson did something wrong or not.

It's pre-season and I have no problem what so ever if Kubiak and co. are working to fit the peices in the correct spots. :texflag:

Texan_Bill
08-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Quarterback to free safety to Sam LB???

Sounds like he's well grounded too...

Maddict5
08-14-2007, 04:11 PM
..except for when he was starter all of last yr (orr)

HoustonFrog
08-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Clark has been on 610 this whole segment and I love this guy. He plays hard. He was a defensive captain on the Raiders. He played well with the Saints. He knocks heads. He sounds like a guy I'm glad we brought in. He just said he was a QB coming into college at 185. Now he is around 235. Good man!

Errant Hothy
08-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Quarterback to free safety to Sam LB???

Sounds like he's well grounded too...

That made my eyes bug a little as well.

Quick Re-cap:
- Signed here wanting to be the starter, say's his physical play is one of the things he can bring.

- Played in a 3-4 last year where he was expected to take the OG's on 1-1 then disengage and make the play/tackle

- Said the experience playing with the Saints last year was something special, and that he didn't expect to be cut by the Raiders

- He sees similarities between the Saints last year and this year's Texans. he thinks the team has a chance to be something special

- He said that if you can get to the QB will palying the base vanilla D, then you'll be better when the scheme is used. Basically because it would be people winning theier 1-1 battles

- Good friends with Cahrlie, who helped him transition to OLB from the Mike

- High praise of DeMeco

- Playing with the 1's will imit his reps with the ST units

- Thinks he is a leader and is comfortable with the role

- Played QB in high school, and signed as a QB, then maved to FS (he liked the hiting but not all the coverage stuff)

- Has a set to twin brothers both of whom have served or are serving in Iraq. Issues with his oldest brother. 1 of 5 boys raised by a single father.

TheRealJoker
08-14-2007, 06:00 PM
I hope it stays this way, its always good to have a veteran physical presence on a defense still searching for its identity.

I noticed in the Bears game that Anderson would arm tackle Benson and Dunta would come and drop a clean up hit. You would think based on their physicality that Anderson was our CB and Dunta was our SAM.

Very excited about the possibilities of having a guy like Clark in our starting lineup.

aj.
08-14-2007, 06:33 PM
I noticed in the Bears game that Anderson would arm tackle Benson and Dunta would come and drop a clean up hit. You would think based on their physicality that Anderson was our CB and Dunta was our SAM.

What I noticed on that play was Charlie reading his key (the FB) who dove off-guard right. Charlie crashed down on the LT to contain the outside as Grossman handed off to Benson. Sensing nowhere to go, Benson cut back left and Charlie dove back to his right and grabbed Benson's by the waist for 1/2 of the tackle.

When Grossman handed off to Benson, Dunta (who was in man press on Berrian wide left) let Berrian go and made a beeline for Benson from his position about 15 yards away. Benson was in Anderson's grasp when Dunta finished him off for the other 1/2 of the tackle.

That's what I saw on the replay.

All I saw when at the game at full speed was Dunta laying the wood to Benson.

kiwitexansfan
08-14-2007, 07:09 PM
What this tells me is that we now have two guys who are better players than Orr at SLB.

It has to be a good thing, especially when one of them (Clark) can also play MLB to a good standard.

GP
08-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Body language tells us a lot, too.

I saw Clark hitting guys, then he was basically back up to his feet and standing over the fallen ball carrier. Seemed like when Clark hit someone, that was as far as the ball carrier was getting...and Clark wasn't moving backwards on those hits.

He's a hitter, a Lavar Arrington-type of guy who will try to absolutely demolish a ball carrier. And THAT is what we need more of.

DeMeco-Dunta-Clark...those guys are the role models for the rest of the defense. Our D-line has gotta' find its soul, they gotta' find a way to gel and just blow through opposing O-lines. Because right now, our LBs and DBs are holding things together, IMO.

Clark will be 1st string unless he just totally blows it from here on out.

HJam72
08-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Well, I agree, but I don't think he would have to totally blow it. I mean, Anderson wasn't so bad.

Definitely agree that we now have two Sams that are better than Orr, and that it's a good thing.

Changing the subject, but what's this crap I hear about moving CC back to FS and putting some guy named Simmons? in there are SS? What happened to Von Hutchins at FS and CC Brown at SS, where he belongs???!!! Sheeeesh!

real
08-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Changing the subject, but what's this crap I hear about moving CC back to FS and putting some guy named Simmons? in there are SS? What happened to Von Hutchins at FS and CC Brown at SS, where he belongs???!!! Sheeeesh!

The Texans have decided they will not completely make over the team at safety after the injury to Glenn Earl. They now plan to keep C.C. Brown at free safety and start Jason Simmons at strong safety. "We left (C.C.) there, and we just moved Jason up, and we're going to give Jason the opportunity," coach Gary Kubiak said.
That doesn't mean Von Hutchins doesn't still have a chance to get into the mix.
"We'll just keep going," Kubiak said. "Whoever we think are our best two when it's time to go against Kansas City (in the opener) will get the start."

... (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5055094.html)

gtexan02
08-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Kubiak said in his press conference that despite his INT in the Bears game, Hutchins has a LONG way to go before he's ready to roll with the 1's

TexanAddict
08-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Changing the subject, but what's this crap I hear about moving CC back to FS and putting some guy named Simmons? in there are SS?

Some guy named Simmons? Jason Simmons is not only an original Texan, but also is responsible for two of the most vicious hits in team history; the lick he put on the Raiders OL (Barry Simms, I believe) on D Rob's first career INT, and the hit that he put on Titans RB Chris Brown that effectively ended his season.

I know Simmons is best suited as a backup, and I would probably prefer to have someone with more upside have a chance to start, but he is a Pro and those two hits alone made him one of my favorite underdogs on the team. Hopefully he can make the most of this opportunity.

Twitch-Houston
08-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Some guy named Simmons? Jason Simmons is not only an original Texan, but also is responsible for two of the most vicious hits in team history; the lick he put on the Raiders OL (Barry Simms, I believe) on D Rob's first career INT, and the hit that he put on Titans RB Chris Brown that effectively ended his season.

I know Simmons is best suited as a backup, and I would probably prefer to have someone with more upside have a chance to start, but he is a Pro and those two hits alone made him one of my favorite underdogs on the team. Hopefully he can make the most of this opportunity.

You basically answered this the same way I was going to. I was wondering if he was being sarcastic. How could he NOT know who Jason Simmons is. Especially with all the coverage for him letting Green have his number.
I agree about the hits. I remember seeing him lay a big hit early in the Texans' history and instantly liking the guy.

kravix
08-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Kubiak didnt say that Anderson had lost anything, he just said that Clark was playing extremly well and deserved a shot to start. If we were playing KC this weekend and Kubes said that Clark was going in then you could definatly take Anderson off the #1. We are just trying to field the best players we can, and now is the time to see if Clark can step up and play a real game against #1 talent. Anderson has been doing that in pracitce and last game.

JohnsonFan
08-15-2007, 02:57 PM
how do yall think danny will do?

Goldensilence
08-15-2007, 02:59 PM
I was hoping this would happen and we'd have someone step up take over Orr's spot. I have a friend who's a big Raider's fan and was disapointed when they cut him. I like the fact he seems to bring it everytime he steps on the field and this team needs that. It looks like the LB corps is coming together nicely.

I'd also like to add how this reflects on Kubiak as well.If you're not going to play up to standard you won't be here but if you come in and make an impact you'll see the field more. When i hear stuff like this it builds my confidence in Kubiak and Smith's talent evaluation skills and being able to bring in guys that can produce.

I'm glad to at least see Jason Simmons get a shot. After what he did with Green you can't help but cheer for the guy. I've also seen him deliver some shots too.

HOU-TEX
08-15-2007, 03:03 PM

I agree. Simmons ain't skeered that's for sure. The only thing I worry about is how his body holds up to the slobber knockers he deals out. I think the same of D-Rob. The boy can lay the wood. :d:

JohnsonFan
08-15-2007, 03:04 PM
I was hoping this would happen and we'd have someone step up take over Orr's spot. I have a friend who's a big Raider's fan and was disapointed when they cut him. I like the fact he seems to bring it everytime he steps on the field and this team needs that. It looks like the LB corps is coming together nicely.

I'd also like to add how this reflects on Kubiak as well.If you're not going to play up to standard you won't be here but if you come in and make an impact you'll see the field more. When i hear stuff like this it builds my confidence in Kubiak and Smith's talent evaluation skills and being able to bring in guys that can produce.

I'm glad to at least see Jason Simmons get a shot. After what he did with Green you can't help but cheer for the guy. I've also seen him deliver some shots too.
i dont agree with that orr is good i would let him progress and play as starter

TexanAddict
08-15-2007, 04:32 PM

Sorry to thread-jack, but here is the video for the first hit I mentioned (@ 16 sec):

Simmons De-Cleats Raiders OL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Nl5NRIQ6g)

HJam72
08-15-2007, 05:23 PM
i dont agree with that orr is good i would let him progress and play as starter

I see Orr as a 3-4 OLB, not a 4-3; so, it's not a lack of overall ability as much as just not having the right skill set. He can blitz well and get to the RB, if he doesn't have to run too far, but his pass coverage is lacking badly in a 4-3.

Runner
08-15-2007, 05:26 PM
This is good new for quality depth. The coaches were pretty high on Anderson - if Clark is pushing him that can only be good news.

Vinny
08-15-2007, 05:38 PM
I see Orr as a 3-4 OLB, not a 4-3; so, it's not a lack of overall ability as much as just not having the right skill set. He can blitz well and get to the RB, if he doesn't have to run too far, but his pass coverage is lacking badly in a 4-3.
yep3-4 olb's are generally converted DE's, Orr has some excellent pass rushing skills but he doesn't play well in space like a traditional linebacker does.

ObsiWan
08-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Okay, DeMeco, Greenwood, and Clark are the starters for the next game.
Diles is making an impression and is probably being groomed for one of the OLB spots in a year or two.
Orr is hurt. May go on the PUP (how many PUP-ees can you have?)
Anderson is number 1-1/2...
Abbate is now a FB
Trent Bray may be history

Does this mean Barber is the 6th LB that will be kept this year?

kiwitexansfan
08-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Kubiak has stated that the guys who have impressed him in TC at LB have been:

Ryans
Greenwood
Anderson
Clark
Barber
Diles.

That is my guess at whoKubiak gave a wrap too, and I expect that is who will be on the roster come opening day.

texasguy346
08-15-2007, 07:44 PM
This is good new for quality depth. The coaches were pretty high on Anderson - if Clark is pushing him that can only be good news.

Definately agree that it's good news, but I think Anderson will probably be the starter when we open the season against KC. I watched the game again & I tried to focus on Anderson as well as Clark.

The one play where I felt Anderson played poorly was on the Bears drive that started backed up against the endzone. There was a big running play by Benson where they ran to Charlie's side. Anderson was absolutely obliterated on that play by the TE. He drove Anderson a good 5 to 10 yards out of the play. Had he been able to shed that block Benson likely would've been stopped for a minimal gain.

Side note: Diles played really well out there. He really has a chance to be a solid pro and I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting in a year or two.

HJam72
08-15-2007, 09:43 PM

I thought that's who it was, but I wasn't sure. Mostly, I was just irritated, because I think an upgrade at FS is sorely needed. Maybe Hutchins ain't it, but I was hoping. Still want to see him start in a preseason game, just to see.

ccdude730
08-15-2007, 10:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5szg2IAMY94# (i just loaded that up from my computer)

and also...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/ccdude730/chrisbrownhitedited8sx.gif

infantrycak
08-16-2007, 09:39 AM

Simmons did lay a big hit on Brown, but he not Brown got the worse of it. Simmons was injured and out for several weeks. Brown came back into the game after a few plays off and was not out for the season due to that hit.

HOU-TEX
08-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Simmons did lay a big hit on Brown, but he not Brown got the worse of it. Simmons was injured and out for several weeks. Brown came back into the game after a few plays off and was not out for the season due to that hit.

You sure? I thought Brown ending up missing a game or two due to a shoulder separation.

infantrycak
08-16-2007, 10:14 AM
You sure? I thought Brown ending up missing a game or two due to a shoulder separation.

Not positive, but I am pretty sure Simmons was out longer than Brown.

Matt
08-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Definately agree that it's good news, but I think Anderson will probably be the starter when we open the season against KC. I watched the game again & I tried to focus on Anderson as well as Clark.

The one play where I felt Anderson played poorly was on the Bears drive that started backed up against the endzone. There was a big running play by Benson where they ran to Charlie's side. Anderson was absolutely obliterated on that play by the TE. He drove Anderson a good 5 to 10 yards out of the play. Had he been able to shed that block Benson likely would've been stopped for a minimal gain.

Side note: Diles played really well out there. He really has a chance to be a solid pro and I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting in a year or two.

Anderson also gave way too much cushion to Benson on that little RB dump off when tighter coverage would have probably led to Mario getting a sack.

HOU-TEX
08-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Not positive, but I am pretty sure Simmons was out longer than Brown.

Oh, there's no doubt about that. Simmon's definitely got the worst end of the hit.

The biggest lick was applied by strong safety Jason Simmons after Titans halfback Chris Brown caught a short pass. The collision ended the afternoon for both players - Brown with a shoulder injury; Simmons with a concussion.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/game/2004/week06.html

Simmon's ending up missing 6 games and Brown missed 1.:cool:

hadaad
08-16-2007, 10:58 AM
I've heard it said that Brown didn't run the same after that hit, though, and it probably derailed his season - a season that some were thinking might have MVP implications. I don't have any sources, I just remember what I read after that hit.

Good lick, too.

HOU-TEX
08-16-2007, 11:04 AM
I've heard it said that Brown didn't run the same after that hit, though, and it probably derailed his season - a season that some were thinking might have MVP implications. I don't have any sources, I just remember what I read after that hit.

Good lick, too.

Maybe so, but he hasn't had a full season yet. He's always hurt.:)

hadaad
08-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Maybe so, but he hasn't had a full season yet. He's always hurt.:)

And for that, my heart aches. I'm guessing the Titans are hoping he's healthy this year. I haven't seen anything from Lendale White, and I have no idea what the good Chris Henry brings to the table.

Vinny
08-16-2007, 11:52 AM
And for that, my heart aches. I'm guessing the Titans are hoping he's healthy this year. I haven't seen anything from Lendale White, and I have no idea what the good Chris Henry brings to the table.

Chris Henry was impressive last week...unfortunately

hadaad
08-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Chris Henry was impressive last week...unfortunately

Well, if we have Simmons starting against them this season, maybe he can put an end to that, too.

hadaad
08-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Sorry, that was pretty classless. I don't advocate a player trying to injure another player. It was meant as humour.

Vinny
08-16-2007, 12:18 PM
The titan game is on nfl network right now if you want to catch him.

Errant Hothy
08-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Did Henry get the start?

hadaad
08-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Sadly, no cable, no NFLN. I might go back and listen to the game on fieldpass, because that's what I have.

Overalls
08-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Did Henry get the start?

No, but he did manage to run well against the Redskins 3rd stringers.

The TENNheads are now calling him a cross between Earl Campbell and Walter Payton, only better.

hadaad
08-16-2007, 04:59 PM

The TENNheads are now calling him a cross between Earl Campbell and Walter Payton, only better.

I like that. Managing expectations and keeping things realistic leads to fan happiness.

Overalls
08-16-2007, 05:23 PM
I like that. Managing expectations and keeping things realistic leads to fan happiness.

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=30153

They might not know much about pro ball, but they are good for a laugh.

Matt
08-16-2007, 07:52 PM

Not surprising, considering they call VY a cross between Joe Montana, Carl Lewis, and Jesus.

hadaad
08-16-2007, 10:26 PM
http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=30153

They might not know much about pro ball, but they are good for a laugh.

Maybe it's just me, maybe it's my overactive bladder but that guy with the Meast post just about made me wet myself.

I liked the photoshopped picture with Predator's head on his body, though.