PDA

View Full Version : Safety Tryouts

HoustonFrog
08-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Anyone have some good info on him. I know he has been injured and played some good ball before. We are bringing him in. Just looking for someone that has seen some more on him

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2972558

Kubiak acknowledged the Texans will also study the waiver wire for potential help at safety when teams begin mandatory roster reductions later this month.

ESPN.com has learned that the Texans will bring in free agent Shaun Williams for a workout. A nine-year veteran and former first-round choice, Williams has played both safety spots and also cornerback in his career. He started 12 games for the Carolina Panthers in 2006.

In 37 games, Earl had 187 tackles, three interceptions, 11 passes defensed, two sacks and one forced fumble.

Lucky
08-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Anyone have some good info on him. I know he has been injured and played some good ball before. We are bringing in him. Just looking for someone that has seen some more on him
He's a SS who plays the run better than the pass. Sort of an older version of Glenn Earl. I remember Billy Miller abused him in the Texans win over the Giants, back in '02. That probably speaks volumes.

HOU-TEX
08-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Anyone have some good info on him. I know he has been injured and played some good ball before. We are bringing in him. Just looking for someone that has seen some more on him

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2972558

Hmm..sounds like a decent pickup if he remains healthy. Although other teams not picking him up has me a little weary.:cool:

Porky
08-13-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm holding out for Baltimore to release Ed Reed. :splits:

YoungTexanFan
08-13-2007, 04:36 PM
This guy has played 9 years and only played 30 something games?

infantrycak
08-13-2007, 04:39 PM
This guy has played 9 years and only played 30 something games?

Huh?--he has played in 104 games--started at FS moved to SS and has played some CB. He blew out knees in both 2004 and 2005.

HoustonFrog
08-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Huh?--he has played in 104 games--started at FS moved to SS and has played some CB. He blew out knees in both 2004 and 2005.

Not promising but maybe he has a healthy season left to help out.

CC moved to SS and Von Hutchins looked good the other night so we will see how this all works between FS and SS.

kiwitexansfan
08-14-2007, 02:56 AM
When I saw the name I was thinking Giants SS.

If he has missed a couple of years with knee injuries that is pretty serious. If nothing else he gives us an experienced head back there.

TexanSam
08-14-2007, 02:58 AM
I hope Rick Smith and Kubiak can work some magic from the waiver wire just like they did last year (Anthony Maddox).

threetoedpete
08-14-2007, 10:36 AM
DBs getting sniffs this mroning: "Cavalry coming"

Shaun Williams Giants 1998, Derrick Gibson, Raiders '01, Tyrone Poole Panthers '95, former first round picks. Raymond Wells '01 Colts cast off.

ObsiWan
08-14-2007, 10:41 AM
DBs getting sniffs this mroning: "Cavalry coming"

Shaun Williams Giants 1998, Derrick Gibson, Raiders '01, Tyrone Poole Panthers '95, former first round picks. Raymond Wells '01 Colts cast off.

There just ain't much out there....

Porky
08-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Poole uses to be pretty good no? But, he isn't exaclty a spring chicken.

For the love of God, will this team never draft or sign a decent safety in FA? What is it with this team and Safety's? Are they allergic or something? :gun:

jdog
08-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Do you think it's to the point where we might work out a trade, and who would you trade?

threetoedpete
08-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Do you think it's to the point where we might work out a trade, and who would you trade?

I dunno, and I wasn't in the war room....but they had three shots in rounds three through six to take a high end rookie. And they didn't. Tells me they believe they are set to live with what they have for '07. And then there is the cap concerns....they would/might throw eighty million at the problem if they could. But they made this decidsion long ago befor the draft. That's what I'm reading into the tea leaves. So my HO, is no they aren't going to throw a future draft pick at the problem. They'll hold their water and live with what they have for '07.