PDA

View Full Version : One things for sure!

dickieb
08-12-2007, 05:32 PM
In the name of everything Holy....

Van Pelt is freaking terrible! Holy crap, how much of that did we need to see? Dude could of ran for 15 yards and he goes bowling and throws the ball to no one. The only person he hit all night was a Bear right in the chest and he couldn't even catch a Van Pelt pass. I will have serious doubts about the FO if they even let him think about taking another snap in a game, practice, or the dang parking lot.

What scares me...

I understand that it really doesn't mean much to win in preseason. But like Coach Ditka said in the NFL replay of the game, it's all about having good habits and winning games is a good habit to get into. I saw the guys leaving the field I think it was Studdard hanging his head. I do not want them to beat themselves up and get down, and lack confidence right out of the block because of a preseaon game in which the staff felt they needed to do Van Pelt a favor, or to see some more of his skills.

This is what I don't get. If we say it's just preseaon and we don't care to win I'm cool with the way things played out. But Kubiak, don't come out and say we wanted to win or it's a confidence builder when we win in preseason (not sure that he did). Kubiak should not even talk about losing the game since he allowed that sorry excuse for a QB to continue to play. We were up 19 - 7, and numb nutz can't even hand the ball off without a turnover, much less convert a 1st down. I do not blame our 3rd string "D" because they didn't get much of a rest with Van P leading the offense.

Then the icing on the cake...

The game over with Van Pelt at the helm, with seconds remaining & no timeouts remaining you (because apparently only you can) catch your own pass instead of knocking it down to conserve time. This kid doesn't look like a high school caliber player, much less NFL. I do not want to hear of him wasting anymore or our staff's time or focus. Let's cut his butt and see some Porter or Zabransky from now on, can I get an AMEN!

There now, I feel much better.:whip:

powerfuldragon
08-12-2007, 05:36 PM
there's absolutely no way Zabransky can ruin the game like van pelt did.. hopefully J.Z. gets some reps next saturday.

SheTexan
08-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Kubiak actually defended him in his press conference, sort of anyway. Good kid, trying to hard, he'll be out there tomorrow working HARD, all that sort of stuff we hear when coaches don't want to tell the truth.

Pantherstang84
08-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Kubiak actually defended him in his press conference, sort of anyway. Good kid, trying to hard, he'll be out there tomorrow working HARD, all that sort of stuff we hear when coaches don't want to tell the truth.

No doubt. I don't think it is Kubiak's nature to embarrass a kid in the press. I think that was Kubiak speak for... He's gone.

aj.
08-12-2007, 06:06 PM

bug patrol.

When you edit and save it often saves as a new post.

aj.
08-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Zabransky has an air about him. We'll see how it translates to the field next week. If he can keep himself under control, he's a lock to make the p.s. In a way he reminds me of a young Jeff Garcia.

It's time for Bradlee to consider a new career path. Porter too.

ObsiWan
08-12-2007, 06:10 PM

you guys just don't get it. :stirpot:

Van Pelt is a diversion. It's Kubiak's way of making the fans grade Schaub "on the curve". After watching one quarter with Van Pelt at the helm, Schaub looks like Drew Brees by comparison.
Devilishly clever, eh?
:sarcasm:

Ryan
08-12-2007, 06:27 PM
you guys just don't get it. :stirpot:

Van Pelt is a diversion. It's Kubiak's way of making the fans grade Schaub "on the curve". After watching one quarter with Van Pelt at the helm, Schaub looks like Drew Brees by comparison.
Devilishly clever, eh?
:sarcasm:

lol i was thinking about something like that too!

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Van Pelt's father was a linebacker Probowler many times over.........could a favor be called in?

Furthermore, there were doubts at the beginning about the position that he was to play in the NFL. Since he intercepted his own pass, the critics seem to have been proven correct.

Lastly, his emotional stability when faced with pressure and/or adversity should have been predictable from college experiences

Lots of signs............and we have to be the ones stuck with diagnosing the "sickness," "treating" it, and now, hopefully "curing" it.......by "cutting" it out:

Bradlee Van Pelt (born July 3, 1980 in Owosso, Michigan) is a quarterback for the Houston Texans. He transferred to Colorado State University from Michigan State University. Widely considered one of Colorado State's greatest quarterbacks, he set numerous records while the starting signal caller there. He is the son of former NFL linebacker Brad Van Pelt.

Despite numerous critics, Van Pelt insists that he is a quarterback, while many believe he could be a standout special teams/defensive back or drop linebacker. A very physical player, Van Pelt dedicates himself to developing himself in the weight room and in the film room. On his first official snap in the NFL, Van Pelt took a shot gun snap from inside the ten yard line and ran into the endzone against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Criticism
Van Pelt has drawn criticism for being too emotional and at times makes embarrassing mental mistakes. Van Pelt once ran a lengthy touchdown in a game versus in-state rival Colorado. Following the play, he crossed the endline, turned and spiked the football into the helmet of the Colorado pursuing safety. On another occasion, during the Colorado-Colorado State football game, Van Pelt flashed the middle finger at fans, prompted CSU Rams head coach Sonny Lubick to re-think his policy of allowing former players on the sidelines for games.

jdog
08-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Hmm...I wonder if he gets to try out for the free safety position. :gun:

BattleRedToro
08-12-2007, 07:24 PM

That isn't necessarily a bad idea. Just because he can't play QB doesn't mean he can't play another position. He just needs to play a position that wouldn't ever have an opportunity to throw a forward pass. :d:

jdog
08-12-2007, 07:38 PM
That isn't necessarily a bad idea. Just because he can't play QB doesn't mean he can't play another position. He just needs to play a position that wouldn't ever have an opportunity to throw a forward pass. :d:
Yes, he's 6'2", 220lbs, and he has anger issues and linebacker genes. Oh, plus he's fighting for a job, and we are hoping to find something better than a body to compete for the job. I think it's worth a try.

nunusguy
08-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Furthermore, there were doubts at the beginning about the position that he was to play in the NFL. Since he intercepted his own pass, the critics seem to have been proven correct.

Van Pelt is another guy on the roster I think of as a FOG - Friend Of Garys.
But being the only player in the game who catchs one of the passes has a real sense of irony to it.

Specnatz
08-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Van Pelt couldn't hit the water if he fell out of a boat, he would wind up in a tree somehow.

That basically says what I think about his performance.

Leahmic223
08-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Van Pelt makes Carr look like Peyton Manning...

I mean wow...I couldn't help but laugh at him for some reason...it was just so bad.

Also he is the perfect example of how a QB can make his OL WORSE...you know what I am getting at. He made everyone around him worse.

I bet Lundy was thinking "Man i'll be lucky to make the team if this guy is handing it off to me all preseason."

HJam72
08-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Van Pelt couldn't hit the water if he fell out of a boat, he would wind up in a tree somehow.

That basically says what I think about his performance.

Well, he didn't have any trouble hitting that DB when he spiked the ball off of his face, lol. :user:

dickieb
08-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Zabransky has an air about him. We'll see how it translates to the field next week. If he can keep himself under control, he's a lock to make the p.s. In a way he reminds me of a young Jeff Garcia.

It's time for Bradlee to consider a new career path. Porter too.

Don't we carry 3 QB's? We will need either Zabransky or Porter to be our 3rd string QB because guess who's listed as our 3rd string on our website...

Yep, you guessed it Van Puke!

dickieb
08-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Van Pelt is another guy on the roster I think of as a FOG - Friend Of Garys.
But being the only player in the game who catchs one of the passes has a real sense of irony to it.

I'm getting a little tired of Gary's favors, I don't think he should be so worried about doing favors for old buddies. I want to see him do what's best for our football team!

Wolf
08-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Don't we carry 3 QB's? We will need either Zabransky or Porter to be our 3rd string QB because guess who's listed as our 3rd string on our website...

Yep, you guessed it Van Puke!

i am not sure, preseason and depth charts fluctuate ..i don't know if anyone takes much stock in the charts this time of year, players are still jockeying for positons.(or should be)

aj.
08-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Don't we carry 3 QB's?

Not on the 53.

It will be Schaub and Sage on the 53....with Z a likely candidate for the practice squad and Porter and VanPelt released.

kiwitexansfan
08-13-2007, 04:56 AM
Kubiak has stated that Van Pelt would get the 3rd string reps in the Bears game and Zabransky would get most of them this week, then I guess Porter may get a shot although it would seem that he is pretty low in the pecking order at the moment.

After these first two games I think we will see the better man getting the bigger run.

BigTimeTexanFan
08-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Can anyone who has been to any practices let us know if Van Pelt looked like that during TC, or was it nerves working against him? That performance was worse than Dave Ragone vs. the Jags.

ObsiWan
08-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Can anyone who has been to any practices let us know if Van Pelt looked like that during TC, or was it nerves working against him? That performance was worse than Dave Ragone vs. the Jags.

I mentioned that Van Pelt was the worse of the bunch during the three open camp sessions I attended. He was not remotely accurate during either session. But he only got a few reps.

I seem to recall, over at HT.com there was a video piece called QB controversy. Kubiak said in that piece that this is Van Pelt's last chance to show "he belongs in this league as a #2 or a solid #3..."
I tried their search engine but couldn't find it.

BigTimeTexanFan
08-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks ObsiWan! I was watching in amazement. It was amazing that a quarterback that has made it to this level could be so terrible. I feel for the kid though because after Saturday, he's got to be thinking he has NO shot at a future in the NFL.

HOU-TEX
08-13-2007, 10:33 AM
I mentioned that Van Pelt was the worse of the bunch during the three open camp sessions I attended. He was not remotely accurate during either session. But he only got a few reps.

I seem to recall, over at HT.com there was a video piece called QB controversy. Kubiak said in that piece that this is Van Pelt's last chance to show "he belongs in this league as a #2 or a solid #3..."
I tried their search engine but couldn't find it.

I second this. I've been to several practices as well and VP has yet to do anything that remotely appears to be an NFL QB. The only thing he's done well in his career is scrammble. He did the same thing in college.

VP shouldn't even be considered as a towel boy for an NFL QB. :bat:

Twitch-Houston
08-13-2007, 12:26 PM
As Van Pelt came out again and again in the game I could only think that Kubes was simply giving him his last chance to do something. He's not eligible for the practice squad, he won't beat out Schaub or Sage, he's a goner. Just wish he would have pulled him before it was too late.:wild:

Texanfan4ever
08-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah, like before he lost the game for us. Geez, I just don't understand why he let him play so long. Even if it is only preseason. All I have heard today at work from people who aren't real great fans is "Well, the Ttexans are still the same, still losing at the very end, too bad they will never be any different."

Makes you want to slap your momma, or Gary Kubiak, or SOMEONE!

ObsiWan
08-13-2007, 01:39 PM
As Van Pelt came out again and again in the game I could only think that Kubes was simply giving him his last chance to do something. He's not eligible for the practice squad, he won't beat out Schaub or Sage, he's a goner. Just wish he would have pulled him before it was too late.:wild:

This is exactly right. Its "fish or cut bait" time for BVP.

The Pencil Neck
08-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Yeah, like before he lost the game for us. Geez, I just don't understand why he let him play so long. Even if it is only preseason. All I have heard today at work from people who aren't real great fans is "Well, the Ttexans are still the same, still losing at the very end, too bad they will never be any different."

Makes you want to slap your momma, or Gary Kubiak, or SOMEONE!

He was putting the pressure on the defense to win the game for us. :gun:

tsip
08-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Remember, he finished '06 as the b/u and didn't see the 'light of day.' and, of course, Kubiak wouldn't let Carr do much with the ball--unbelievable--so we virtually played w/o a qb...good thing Kubes is a guru.

tsip
08-13-2007, 05:50 PM

...maybe so, but waiting until the fourth qtr to try and do that with a 'mop up' secondary that is getting picked apart by a 3rd stringer spelled failure...

As we did the previous 5 yrs, we blew scoring oppurtunities/sat on the lead/kept it close and expected to win by our old 'you don't score, we won't score' life line.

For me, that's what is sad-- 'coaching not to lose'--and the post game talk is always the same 'we know what we have to do,' but-especially with the offense- it never gets done.

Saturday night was just our old 'walk in the park,' pre-season or not...

Hervoyel
08-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Just wish he would have pulled him before it was too late.:wild:

Why? Why does everyone seem to think that a preseason win over the Bears was important? Why would the Texans want to subject their starting QB or their very good backup QB to the fury of 3rd string (or worse) defenders trying to impress their coaches?

Van Pelt is here because the Texans need arms in camp. He was signed last year to fill in for Sage because if Carr goes down somebody has to go in and play. He's in camp today with the full understanding (I'm certain) that he has no chance to make this team. What he gets is a paycheck, a chance to be in camp with "somebody" to stay in football shape, and a shot at getting on some film so that when somebody, somewhere goes down with an injury he might stand a chance of getting signed again. He's got a few years of trying to stick with somebody and then he's done. He's probably already done. His performance against Chicago isn't going to help him job hunting later this year but that's on his head and not ours. We let him take the snaps in a meaningless game and he didn't come through which is a shame since he was one of the few people who could have really seen a benefit in beating the Bears in the second half.

Nothing after halftime much mattered. Van Pelt doesn't much matter. The regular season can't come soon enough.

threetoedpete
08-14-2007, 12:12 AM

Kubiak said today on his 610 show that they were bringing in four guys for a try out in the morning for DB. So I'd say that was a big no form the coach's own mouth. Lot of coach speak on that 610 show. He didn't throw C.C. or Earl under the buss. Hutchens must be going to be a dime or a nickle DB ? We'll see in the morning. We've been sceaming for a safty fix, now we got a shake up in spades. While Kubiak was explaining how good CC and Earl were...I got this vision of a used car salesman explaining to the customer that the checked "as is with no warentee" on the front of the used car was simply a leagle thingy and ment absoultly nothing. Don't pi$$ down the back of my boot and tell me it's raining.

threetoedpete
08-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Why? Why does everyone seem to think that a preseason win over the Bears was important? Why would the Texans want to subject their starting QB or their very good backup QB to the fury of 3rd string (or worse) defenders trying to impress their coaches?

Van Pelt is here because the Texans need arms in camp. He was signed last year to fill in for Sage because if Carr goes down somebody has to go in and play. He's in camp today with the full understanding (I'm certain) that he has no chance to make this team. What he gets is a paycheck, a chance to be in camp with "somebody" to stay in football shape, and a shot at getting on some film so that when somebody, somewhere goes down with an injury he might stand a chance of getting signed again. He's got a few years of trying to stick with somebody and then he's done. He's probably already done. His performance against Chicago isn't going to help him job hunting later this year but that's on his head and not ours. We let him take the snaps in a meaningless game and he didn't come through which is a shame since he was one of the few people who could have really seen a benefit in beating the Bears in the second half.

Nothing after halftime much mattered. Van Pelt doesn't much matter. The regular season can't come soon enough.

Rep your way. I've kinda of given up on some of these. Makes no difference. Perls befor swine and all. Look, they had three guys active and the move was made for Van Pelt to be the third guy to mop up the game. For whatever reason....this is what Kubiak wanted. Either you trust the HC or you don't.

real
08-14-2007, 12:20 AM
I think once C.C gets used to his old position he will be a stud...

We are looking at our SS for years to come...

awtysst
08-14-2007, 12:24 AM
Kubiak said today on his 610 show that they were bringing in four guys for a try out in the morning for DB. So I'd say that was a big no form the coach's own mouth. Lot of coach speak on that 610 show. He didn't throw C.C. or Earl under the buss. Hutchens must be going to be a dime or a nickle DB ? We'll see in the morning. We've been sceaming for a safty fix, now we got a shake up in spades. While Kubiak was explaining how good CC and Earl were...I got this vision of a used car salesman explaining to the customer that the checked "as is with no warentee" on the front of the used car was simply a leagle thingy and ment absoultly nothing. Don't pi$$ down the back of my boot and tell me it's raining.

Any idea who the four might be?

threetoedpete
08-14-2007, 12:28 AM

And just for the record PN....the second play on the dance card was the waggle. And just as I predicted....it was a disaster in the hands of Matt.

threetoedpete
08-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Went out of his way not to say. He stated that he had a breif touch base phone call with Smith befor the show and ...this is my interprtation, he didn't want to give out false info on any of the guys. His paraphrased quote was something like Rick Smith knows more than he did and he would let Rick handle the presser. I'm sure 610 and the others will have something for the six o'clock news tomorrow.

The Pencil Neck
08-14-2007, 12:59 AM
And just for the record PN....the second play on the dance card was the waggle. And just as I predicted....it was a disaster in the hands of Matt.

Pete, call it a roll out, a bootleg, a waggle or whatever you want to call it, but Matt ran it fine. He got a positive play out of it and YKW wouldn't have. In that same situation, YKW either runs out of bounds or throws the ball away.

And... like I said before, there is no way in hell that the Texans ran that play 4-6 times per period last year unless you're counting the fakes off the run plays and even then, they didn't do it that often in the Colts game.

threetoedpete
08-14-2007, 01:08 AM
Pete, call it a roll out, a bootleg, a waggle or whatever you want to call it, but Matt ran it fine. He got a positive play out of it and YKW wouldn't have. In that same situation, YKW either runs out of bounds or throws the ball away.

And... like I said before, there is no way in hell that the Texans ran that play 4-6 times per period last year unless you're counting the fakes off the run plays and even then, they didn't do it that often in the Colts game.

Well we ran it four times saturday, go count them up.

The Pencil Neck
08-14-2007, 01:31 AM
Well we ran it four times saturday, go count them up.

You said that we ran that play 4-6 times PER PERIOD last year. That's 16-24 times per game.

I went through and counted them up in the last Colts game. We ran it 4 times. Prior to that, I had said that I only could recall a couple. Well, 4 is a lot closer to "a couple" than it is to 16-24.

I believe we ran it 4 times on Saturday. I think that's about how often we run it. And I think that we'll continue to run it about that often with Schaub at the helm, if we don't see it more. Because I expect Schaub to run the play better than YKW despite the difference in straight line sprint speed.

BigTimeTexanFan
08-14-2007, 09:46 AM
You don't want to run it more than 3-4 times a game because it's meant to throw off the defense. If you run it all the time, defenses will key in on it and it will be useless.

jlam
08-14-2007, 10:49 AM

Depending on how well Zabransky plays in the remainder of this preseason, it will be interesting to see if the Texans' staff feels he can clear waivers. If he plays well enough, then some team that likes to carry 3 QBs may sign him to their active roster if they feel they can develop him.

Pure speculation at this point of course, but maybe something to think about if he does well.

The Pencil Neck
08-14-2007, 10:57 AM
You don't want to run it more than 3-4 times a game because it's meant to throw off the defense. If you run it all the time, defenses will key in on it and it will be useless.

And you want your QB to fake it off as many of the regular running plays as he can so that when we DO run it, they chase the run fake.

Rex King
08-14-2007, 11:23 AM
That's one thing that should help against the backside pursuit. Schaub (or was it Rosenfels?) did a good job selling the fake. They were keying on the run, and the DE almost fell over himself trying to change direction with the QB rolling out.

threetoedpete
08-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Because I expect Schaub to run the play better than YKW despite the difference in straight line sprint speed.

And all that would make you is wrong. He couldn't run it Saturday night and he won't be able run it opening day. That one goes to the back of the play book untill Rosenfelds is on the feild.

JohnsonFan
08-14-2007, 11:07 PM
i think sage could start this year if needed he played so well last season and u all saw him vs. the bears!