PDA

View Full Version : Grading the Bears Game

maddogmrb
08-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Overall the team did better than I thought they would.

WR - Grade=B. Okay, I'm eating crow about JJ. I've been saying that he would need time to develop and that we should have drafted someone else. He proved me wrong & I'm happy about that. Of course AJ looked good and Andre Davis also surprised me. KW didn't look bad........

TE - Grade=A. Daniels and Putzier shined. Probably strongest position on team.

Oline - Grade=D. Lousy on run blocking. Had "some" plays when they gave the QB time to throw but, not many. Weakest part of this team and you know I've been harping that the team did virtually nothing to improve them this off-season. Our dlineman, Tim Bulman, who is reported to have been tearing up our oline in camp did nothing in this game, which doesn't speak well for our oline.

QB - Grade=C+. Many are posting how great Shaub looked and I think he looked just like an average QB. We should have expected more because Kubes was quoted when the trade was made as saying that he could step in right then and there and run this team. As I have posted, I think it will take several weeks, maybe 1/2 season, for him to be comfortable ...... if the oline allows him to. Sage looked good enough to run this team, as he did last year. Schaub needs to step it up or Sage may earn his spot .... not that they would give it to him but, he may earn it. I don't think we will ever see Van Pelt again and I was surprised that they put him back out there after his 1st series. He showed no signs of being an NFL QB.

RB - Grade=C-. With a lousy oline it is hard to grade them. Lundy did not look very good and I believe Chris Taylor would have made an impact on this team. Gado made some nice catches and I hope to see more of Abbatte. (However, we do need him at OLB)

DLine - Grade=C. I'm sorry but, our starting dline did not look good. MW came within 5 yards of the QB once (and they came out throwing the ball) and Amobi was not a factor. I didn't hear TJ's name called once. As I posted last year; Kalu, Maddox, Cochran, and Malone KNOW how to play Dline and have outplayed their purebred counterparts in virtually every game. Somebody named Robinson got a sack late in the game and very active. Bulman was a non-factor and maybe he is still struggling with his injury.

MLB - Grade=B+. DROY took up where he left off last year and Diles looks like he will be a good backup, at least.

OLB - Grade=D. They looked about like last year. Below average. Orr looked good late in the game.

CB - Grade=B. DROB looked good and, although Bennett got burned a couple of times, looked better than I thought he would.

S - Grade=C. Not bad .... which is better than last year. Not sure how losing Earl will effect the grade in future games. Hutchings had the int and some of the other youngsters got to play without causing any obvious pain to the team. Appears to be potential to get better.

ST - Grade=A+. The only way to have a better special teams day would have been to take a return to the house. Good job guys & coach!

Coaching - Grade=A. Much smoother job than last year. The oline kept alot of well called plays from developing. I really can't blame the coaching for anything in this game, it was a lack of execution by both lines that hurt this team in this game.

My points in the offseason that all we did was add a bunch of cast offs (except Ahman) from other teams played true in this game .... as NONE of our FA signings did anything to be excited about.

At this point, without considerable improvement from both lines and OLB, my opinion is that we will win 5-7 games this year.

Okay that's my take on it, what's yours?

Spike
08-12-2007, 11:05 AM
I think those are fair grades. However, other than Van Pelt, I think the QB situation is fine. Sage looked great against second and third teamers, but Matt Schaub did fine is his first game. Even if he is average, we are heads and shoulders better then we were last year.

The most disappointing thing about last night was the play of the first team offensive and defensive lines.

prostock101
08-12-2007, 11:43 AM
I agree. Special teams were the highlight of the game and I really believe that Taylor would have easily made the 3rd RB. Considering Schaub has limited game experience, I thought he would have played more. The DL and the OL looked average at best. With Pitts back and McKinney at center I think they're better.

maddogmrb
08-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Just wanted to add that we were playing the Bears who historically have excellent lines on both sides of the ball. That said, our lines obviously lost the battles in the trenches and so we still have a ways to go.

I did forget to give some kudos to Babin. I was sure down on him a couple of years ago but, the 4-3 has given him new life.

Perhaps it is time for us to adjust our expectations of MW. Instead of expecting him to be Reggie White, maybe he can just become really solid and contol the LOS and let the blitz get to the QB. As someone else said, it is not his fault we drafted him #1 overall.

I'm sorry but, I also think we will have to adjust our expectations of AO. But we will give him some more time. I believe he should be a DE, though.

The Pencil Neck
08-12-2007, 04:39 PM
At this point, without considerable improvement from both lines and OLB, my opinion is that we will win 5-7 games this year.

Okay that's my take on it, what's yours?

I'm sticking with my prediction of 8 games. We could win more or less than that but I think 8 is fair. Of course, I'm hoping for more...

WR - Grade=B. I'm not worried about our receiving corp. I think we're going to be fine.

TE - Grade=A. Even Dreesen and Steele looked good in their respective positions.

Oline - Grade=C. Our run blocking wasn't good but our pass blocking looked OK. OTOH, the Bears DL is pretty good even without Tommie Harris in there.

QB - Grade=B. I'm leaving Van Pelt's performance out of this score. He is not an NFL QB and I think Kubiak was just doing him a favor and giving him a last shot. Schaub reacted well under pressure and made good reads and the right throws. Sage started off slow but looked good later.

RB - Grade=D. Green did not show me any thing. Dayne didn't look good. Gado had his moments. Lundy had good and bad moments. Not what I was hoping for. Leach and Abbate did their jobs and I was pleased with them.

DLine - Grade=C. People are down on Mario but I saw more out of him last night in terms of what he was trying to do than I saw from him last year. He didn't just bullrush over and over again. I don't think he bullrushed at all. We got some good work out of Kalu. I think the line is going to come together. But it's still working things out.

MLB - Grade=B. Demeco had some good plays but he also got crunched a couple of times.

OLB - Grade=C. I'm not real impressed by this group, yet.

CB - Grade=B. Fletcher played better than I expected. DRob was showing some fire.

S - Grade=C. I think we're going to see CC move over to SS and Hutchins take over at FS.

ST - Grade=A. We had some good plays from this group. IF Jerome stays healthy and if JJ stays focused, we're going to have some good field position. I think the punting job is now Turk's to lose.

Coaching - Grade=B. They did some things that I didn't particularly like but I think it was more about seeing different players in different situations than making the calls to win games. But, it was a preaseason game and our first and second teamers only got 1 penalty, iirc (and even that was iffy.) That's some good coaching right there. One of the things being discussed was the power zone blocking mix and how the running backs were supposed to be slow to the hole and then fast throught he hole... that concept frightens me with our running backs. I think they need to have a head of steam when they show up. And that worries me from the coaching standpoint. So I gave them a B here.

I can't wait to see if the defense looks better blitzing.

GP
08-12-2007, 04:44 PM
For not laying a big 'ol egg against the NFC Champs, I give the whole effort a "B+" which would have been an "A" if our Red Zone eforts had yielding at least two TDs.

QB: "A" due to zero sacks on Schaub. 99% of the time, the QBs had time to throw. Schaub was hurried and almost completed a pass, but it was dropped. David would have thrown off his back foot or would have tried to spin or just lay down and took the sack. Schaub got off a few more steps and properly threw the ball in a safe place...but it was mishandled.

Later on, Walter got tangled up with the DB and it threw the timing off of Schaub's pass to KW in the end zone...so I don't fault Schaub that much--It looked as if Schaub was throwing the pass well before KW got tangled up with the DB. The DB fell down, and it would have been a TD had Schaub hesitated before throwing it, but it was a timing throw to begin with, and the DB bumped KW enough to throw him off stride and the ball was almost there for KW. Rosenfels looked good, but he's also facing 2nd stringers like David is facing right now in Carolina...so, hard to tell right now in preseason about Rosey.

SH stated it well: It was nice to see a QB throw over the middle and it didn't get batted down. Our QB took his desired drop-steps, bounced once, and the ball was out of his hands at the end of the bounce. What a relief!

O-Line: "B." Any holding calls? I didn't see one. Any sacks on Schaub? I didn't see any. Run blocking was a little suspect, IMO. Tillman said we are using a run blocking scheme that asks the RB to go slow as they approach the line, then burst through a seam somewhere. I dunno about that philosophy...it seemed our RBs were getting jammed up in the pile every time. And then Cedric Benson, alternatively, is just gashing through our d line with reckless abandon. Hope the run blocking gets much better.

RB: "B." Dayne looked good. Ahman got 4 yards on a sweep/pitch that I was sure only got maybe 2 yards...so the fact that Ahman got 4 yards out of what I thought was a bad play is telling me that Ahman still has it. Gado looked slow. Lundy was OK at first, then he slowed a little.

WR: "A." Well, let's leave Walter out of this. AJ, Mathis, Jacoby looked good to me. I think Jacoby and Mathis are engaged in a "anything you can do, I can do better" competition between each other. Tillman made funny little comments about it, but I think there's some truth to it. Walter better make some plays next Sat. or he's a goner. Kubiak is going to keep play-makers, regardless of their supposed attitudes. He's no dummy.

TE: "A+." Putzier and Daniels were clutch.

D-line: "C." Where were they? Not at Reliant, IMO. Amobi got past a guy quickly and was about 4 yards from Grossman in the Bear's own end zone, but Grossman threw to the safety-valve RB that Dunta then planted. If Dunta could have read the play faster and got on the RB as he was releasing from the line of scrimmage on his pass route, it would have handcuffed Grossman and gave Amobi time to get to him for a major hurry or sack. Amobi used great hand technique and just blew by the blocker. Looked good, IMO. Babin was great. Mario got double-teamed. Why are we not using Babin more at DE? Seems he's mostly there on pass situations.

LB: "A-." They were hitting guys HARD. No gripes here.

DB: "B." I was close to a B+, but I felt we got abused by Grossman too many times, and frankly...that shouldn't happen. Could have been due to the d line not getting enough pressure. Simmons laid a huuuuge hit on a Bears RB.

K: "A." Which upsets a lot of us here, as we are scared that Kris has no competition and might be past his prime. Regardless, he made 4 kicks.

P: "A." Turk did well. Stanley actually got some roll on his punts and it helped his length. But Turk definitely has the bigger leg, IMO. Plus, he just looks like he's more clutch than Stanley.

KR/PR: "A+." Please tell me we can leave Jacoby/Mathis out there for returns. We canot possibly be considering keeping Bethel and/or Wynn for return duties? Mathis on kicks. Jacoby on Punts. It's settled, IMO.

Players on the bubble:

Walter. Due more to the heated competition between Jacoby and Mathis rather than his actual bad play. But, he has been lagging a little bit. He needs to catch everything thrown his way, and he needs to make solid plus-yardage gains when he gets the ball. Or he's going to be 4th behind AJ, Jacoby, and Mathis (in that order).

Wynn. Bad plays everywhere for Wynn, especially a blown open-field tackle that allowed the Bears to keep their drive alive.

Van Pelt. Oy. Not enought room to talk about Van Pelt.

Mystery Man Travis Johnson. He scoops up a probable fumble, runs to the end zone (which he should have done) and then proceeds to do a TD dance (which he shouldn't have done) and then follows it on the next play by STANDING in one place as the play broke down and the QB scrambled...TJ could have pursued during the play and might have made a play himself or helped another teammate make a play on the QB...but he stinkin' STOOD still--The blocker didn't even have to touch him! The blocker was squatted down, arms extended, but just had to stand there and watch TJ just stand there. It was awful. I screamed at the TV for the first time since David was our QB. Who is TJ? Don't even know if TJ knows who TJ is. Maybe we could have him run onto the field during kickoffs to retrieve the tee and then do a front roll when he gets back to the sideline.

Overall, we didn't get creamed by a team that was the NFC Champs last year. Close game, no significant injuries to our "impact players," so I am happy overall.

Second Honeymoon
08-12-2007, 04:56 PM
i just hope Kubiak doesnt go to the 'we didn't want to show anything' card and just states that we have work to do and we need to stop making mistakes and put the ball in the end zone when you have a shot. 2 TDs and an interception is better than 3 field goals anyday of the week.

If Kubiak calls anyone out it should be Walter because he gives the guy so much public praise and Mario because it just needs to happen. He can't get off blocks. It's that simple.

Mario was just horrible and non-existent. He doesn't have as much to play for as the younger guys (preseason; anointed starting DE) but he needs to show more effort the rest of the preseason. it was just pathetic. it's still early with him but I just don't know if he has the heart to really be an impact NFL player. i don't know if the game is really that important to him and seems to just go through the motions dancing with OL. If he isn't going to be effective from the edge then just make him an overpaid DT and put someone on DE that can actually get to the QB I hope he shows something soon because he looked like just another workout warrior with an amicable agent.

Starting QB B
Backup QB B+
Offense B-
Mario D-
DeMeco B+
Defense C+
Special Teams A
Coaching B
Seeing a new era beginning after years of disappointment - Priceless A+++ ....Thanks Bob

alphajoker
08-12-2007, 05:00 PM
S - Grade=C. I think we're going to see CC move over to SS and Hutchins take over at FS.

Well, you're probably right. Earl will be out for a good while and IMO, I think it migh benefit the secondary with C.C. playing at his natural position at SS and Von Hutchins at FS.

Second Honeymoon
08-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Overall, we didn't get creamed by a team that was the NFC Champs last year. Close game, no significant injuries to our "impact players," so I am happy overall.

couldn't have said it better

aj.
08-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Well, you're probably right. Earl will be out for a good while and IMO, I think it migh benefit the secondary with C.C. playing at his natural position at SS and Von Hutchins at FS.

Earl is out for the season and if I had the choice of who I want at SS it's Earl, not CC. I think Kubiak probably feels the same way.

dickieb
08-12-2007, 05:46 PM
I thought we did pretty well. I don't have a warm and fuzzy about our running game (O-line or RB's, I can't tell who is to blame). Yes it was a one of the best NFL defenses, but they were also not starting some of their best. I know we didn't have Pitts, but I still didn't like what I saw from our 1st string O-line. Or maybe it was just that Green and the Dayne are to blame. I don't think Schaub was sacked only because of his quick release, but he definately felt the pressure. I was impressed with no tunover mistakes by him under pressure, and I chalk the overthrow to jitters. Even if he made a perfect throw who's to say Walter would have caught it? It is IRONIC that I saw the highlights from the Carolina game and it looked like Carr had the same play and hit it for a TD. (No, I don't want Carr here. I am glad he is gone and I think it was best for everyone)

2nd String "O" looked pretty good (against 2nd string or worse Bears "D").

Special Teams did great (B.S. running into kicker call). Jacoby looked like a 3rd round pick, good. Mathis looks good.

Defense I thought did well. Mario and Amobi didn't stand out but I'm with Thorn, I think Mario will and Amobi is still learning. TJ looked better with exception of the play he took off. DeMeco and Robinson looked good.

real
08-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Overall the team did better than I thought they would.

WR - Grade=B. Okay, I'm eating crow about JJ. I've been saying that he would need time to develop and that we should have drafted someone else. He proved me wrong & I'm happy about that. Of course AJ looked good and Andre Davis also surprised me. KW didn't look bad........

I was hoping JJ was a gamer...i figured he was....

If he keeps it up he will be the second receiver by week 1

TE - Grade=A. Daniels and Putzier shined. Probably strongest position on team.

I agree

Oline - Grade=D. Lousy on run blocking. Had "some" plays when they gave the QB time to throw but, not many. Weakest part of this team and you know I've been harping that the team did virtually nothing to improve them this off-season. Our dlineman, Tim Bulman, who is reported to have been tearing up our oline in camp did nothing in this game, which doesn't speak well for our oline.

I dunno...I think the O-line played pretty decent...

QB - Grade=C+. Many are posting how great Shaub looked and I think he looked just like an average QB. We should have expected more because Kubes was quoted when the trade was made as saying that he could step in right then and there and run this team. As I have posted, I think it will take several weeks, maybe 1/2 season, for him to be comfortable ...... if the oline allows him to. Sage looked good enough to run this team, as he did last year. Schaub needs to step it up or Sage may earn his spot .... not that they would give it to him but, he may earn it.

I think you're totally off base on this one...Schaub showed very good poise last night...He showed he can make quick decisions, he showed a good feel for the pressure, he showed he can make throws down field outside of the pocket, he showed he can get rid of the ball to an open reciever with pressure right in his face...He showed good velocity on short throws and good touch on the deep stuff...Not sure what you believe an above average NFL QB is supposed to look like, but that being Schaubs first start with a new team and to have kept the offense in rythm, and marched us down the field was pretty impressive...The only thing was punching it in when we got near the goal line, but that's something that the offense needs to work on as a whole...

Schaub didn't look like an instant hall of famer or anything, but he did show what competent QB play can bring to an offense...Pretty refreshing to not constantly see 3 and outs.....

RB - Grade=C-. With a lousy oline it is hard to grade them. Lundy did not look very good and I believe Chris Taylor would have made an impact on this team. Gado made some nice catches and I hope to see more of Abbatte. (However, we do need him at OLB)

Abbate at OLB ? LOL....He's fine at FB...

DLine - Grade=C. I'm sorry but, our starting dline did not look good. MW came within 5 yards of the QB once (and they came out throwing the ball) and Amobi was not a factor. I didn't hear TJ's name called once. As I posted last year; Kalu, Maddox, Cochran, and Malone KNOW how to play Dline and have outplayed their purebred counterparts in virtually every game. Somebody named Robinson got a sack late in the game and very active. Bulman was a non-factor and maybe he is still struggling with his injury.

I thought Babin and TJ stood out...

Marcus
08-12-2007, 06:08 PM
QB - Grade=C+. Many are posting how great Shaub looked and I think he looked just like an average QB. We should have expected more because Kubes was quoted when the trade was made as saying that he could step in right then and there and run this team. As I have posted, I think it will take several weeks, maybe 1/2 season, for him to be comfortable ...... if the oline allows him to. Sage looked good enough to run this team, as he did last year. Schaub needs to step it up or Sage may earn his spot .... not that they would give it to him but, he may earn it. I don't think we will ever see Van Pelt again and I was surprised that they put him back out there after his 1st series. He showed no signs of being an NFL QB.

I'm sorry but, I also think we will have to adjust our expectations of AO. But we will give him some more time. I believe he should be a DE, though.

Does anyone remember the name of that poster from Fresno, California that blamed everyone else but David Carr himself, as to why Carr was a failure with the Texans the last 5 years? I'm racking my brain, but can't remember.

And he always used the phrase "I'm sorry but" in his posts. Drove me friggen nuts!

EDIT: Ibar Harry!!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember now. maddogmrb, is that you?

Marcus
08-12-2007, 06:16 PM
I think you're totally off base on this one...Schaub showed very good poise last night...He showed he can make quick decisions, he showed a good feel for the pressure, he showed he can make throws down field outside of the pocket, he showed he can get rid of the ball to an open reciever with pressure right in his face...He showed good velocity on short throws and good touch on the deep stuff...Not sure what you believe an above average NFL QB is supposed to look like, but that being Schaubs first start with a new team and to have kept the offense in rythm, and marched us down the field was pretty impressive...The only thing was punching it in when we got near the goal line, but that's something that the offense needs to work on as a whole...

Schaub didn't look like an instant hall of famer or anything, but he did show what competent QB play can bring to an offense...Pretty refreshing to not constantly see 3 and outs.....

Now, that sounded like a more objective opinion, without some sort of agenda.

Kudos!

Pantherstang84
08-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Does anyone remember the name of that poster from Fresno, California that blamed everyone else but David Carr himself, as to why Carr was a failure with the Texans the last 5 years? I'm racking my brain, but can't remember.

And he always used the phrase "I'm sorry but" in his posts. Drove me friggen nuts!

Hmmm. Now that you mention it. It does sound like Ibar Harry.

ObsiWan
08-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Okay, my take. Its not a whole lot different than most everyone else's....

WR - B. Two drops (Walter and Charlie Adams) kept this from being a B+ or A-. I'm not going to hold the missed TD (timing messed up) by Walter or Jones not getting both feet down against them.

TE - A: Did their jobs making drive preserving catches and making good blocks. No drops.

O-line - C: Strangely enough, the pass blocking brought the grade up. Jordan Black brought the group's grade down with wiffs and an illegal procedure penalty. Charlie White looked better at center than Flanagan did. Then again, he was against 2nd-3rd string linemen.

QB - C- :
Schaub was okay, not bad, not good. Just okay. Not enough snaps to grade him fairly, IMO.
Rosenfels was good most of the time. He missed Gado on a RB crossing pattern that could have been a really nice gain if he'd delivered the ball properly. He almost threw and INT trying to get the ball to Jacoby too. But other than that, he was good.
OTOH, we have Van Pelt. To paraphrase the Joker: "I have given a name to my pain. And it is 'Van Pelt'".

RB - C+ : Green and Dayne are not the kind of backs that can get going with 3-4 carries. They run "heavy" and that sort of thing doesn't pay off until the 3rd/4th qtr. I liked Gado better than Lundy. Both had their moments. Leach blocked well but Green never followed him. Again, 3-4 carries isn't enough for them to get in rhythm. Leach and Abbate blocked well and Abbate caught a nice pass.

D-Line - C. "B+" for run defense; "D" for no pass rush; if it hadn't been for Kalu this would be worse. Somebody teach Mario (and everyone for that matter) if you're not getting penetration, put your damned hands up!

LBs - B- : DeMeco picked up where he left off. I'm not sure Charlie Anderson is appreciably better than Shantee Orr. Barber & Clark were worth what we signed them for.

DBs - B- : Dunta is on a mission. By a series of unfortunate events, Hutchins may be our new FS. Rookie Bennett got schooled a couple of times, but he's a rook; that happens. Fletcher plays bigger than he looks. D. Wynn may be back on the street by Sept.

ST - A. Thanks to some really good returns by Mathis and Jones, we had excellent field position on several occasions. Also, we had one punt downed inside the five another downed near the ten. Four for four on FGs. They had no big returns. The one time Devin Hester was back to field a punt, there was no return. Great job Special Teams!! (now if the offense would just catch up...)

Coaching - Incomplete. Offense was vanilla. Defense was mostly vanilla. I think they kept things simple to make the eval process more straight-forward - you know, let each group run the same type of plays and see who does what... So since this game (and the next one) is all about player evaluations, let's see who they cut.

And whoever said the TV coverage sucked, was sho' right. Way too many times the replays ran right over the following play. Or we missed something on the field looking at Bob Allen talking to someone on the sideline. Are we going to be stuck with these two yay-hoos all year? And where is the damned HIGH DEF?!?!

maddogmrb
08-12-2007, 07:44 PM

I'm sorry but (LOL), no not me. I live in Pasadena, TX.

The Pencil Neck
08-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Are we going to be stuck with these two yay-hoos all year? And where is the damned HIGH DEF?!?!

Well, at least I got the High Def version. :specnatz:

BUT...

I had the first half with Bob Allen and those guys and the second half with Ditka and the Bears guys. I was ready to kill Ditka by the end of the game. No respect for us at all. :bat:

maddogmrb
08-12-2007, 07:48 PM
I agree the TV coverage was bad and the sideline interviews drove me crazy while the game was going on. Might even drive me to another; "I'm sorry but", nah I'll just have a Bud Lite.:d:

ObsiWan
08-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Well, at least I got the High Def version. :specnatz:

BUT...

I had the first half with Bob Allen and those guys and the second half with Ditka and the Bears guys. I was ready to kill Ditka by the end of the game. No respect for us at all. :bat:

You had to expect Ditka to be a Chi-town homer.

Marcus
08-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I'm sorry but (LOL), no not me. I live in Pasadena, TX.

Aw jeez ... :thud: (and to think that I was raised there)