PDA

View Full Version : Mario Tonight

Pages : 1 [2]

infantrycak
08-14-2007, 12:45 PM
I read it that he was saying that he was setting the guy up for moves like he would if he were going to play a full game and because of that, didn't start trying to take advantage of those "setups".

Which is basically what he said here:

“Going into the game, having a limited amount of snaps and things like that, there were some adjustments I was going to make, but unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to,” Williams said. “Basically, I feel like I have to make adjustments earlier. I think I played 15 plays, but as a defensive lineman, especially as a pass rusher, you have to kind of set guys up and I feel like maybe I should have taken advantage of that earlier.”

HoustonFrog
08-14-2007, 12:46 PM
I read it that he was saying that he was setting the guy up for moves like he would if he were going to play a full game and because of that, didn't start trying to take advantage of those "setups".

IOW... he was pacing himself. :texflag:

Well you are good PR for him because I can see that. I still cringe though at the idea. Show us what you have and put people on notice. Thanks for the explanation.

MightyTExan
08-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Demeco makes "adjustments" in the backfield.

real
08-14-2007, 12:56 PM

That actually makes sense...

Hopefully it WAS just a case of him not knowing when to take advantage...

HoustonFrog
08-14-2007, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the follow up!

Vinny
08-14-2007, 01:07 PM
15 plays is a long time to wait to "adjust" your game....you can lose or turn a game in one play. Mario is supposed to be that elite talent that makes others have to adjust (that's why Mario gets the 60 mil). It's just seems so backwards.

Silver Oak
08-14-2007, 01:22 PM
just got off the phone with a cowgirl fan who was listening to the sports radio guys question Mario's play and question his selection in general.

Gawd, for his sake, and ours, I hope Mario makes alot of people eat their words this season.

Mr teX
08-14-2007, 02:20 PM
15 plays is a long time to wait to "adjust" your game....you can lose or turn a game in one play. Mario is supposed to be that elite talent that makes others have to adjust (that's why Mario gets the 60 mil). It's just seems so backwards.

I don't agree with that, especially when you know you're going to be yanked within the 1st 2 series, & it's the first action in preseason where moreso than any time during the year EVERYONE is just trying not to get hurt.

but generally during the season, yes that applies.

Think of the horror & backlash that would come to this board if he was trying to go all out in a preseason game for 2 series & he got injured.

real
08-14-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't agree with that, especially when you know you're going to be yanked within the 1st 2 series, & it's the first action in preseason where moreso than any time during the year EVERYONE is just trying not to get hurt.

but generally during the season, yes that applies.

Think of the horror & backlash that would come to this board if he was trying to go all out in a preseason game for 2 series & he got injured.

It's like the first rule in football: If you're not going hard, you're more likely to get hurt

Double Barrel
08-14-2007, 02:36 PM
It's like the first rule in football: If you're not going hard, you're more likely to get hurt

I disagree.

Sincerely,

Charles Spencer

:D

HoustonFrog
08-14-2007, 02:42 PM

Could not agree more. In high school my coach shoved that into our heads. The guys standing around piles and loafing got hurt or hit hard. We called it "catching a cruiser."

Texan_Bill
08-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Could not agree more. In high school my coach shoved that into our heads. The guys standing around piles and loafing got hurt or hit hard. We called it "catching a cruiser ."

We called that a ticket to the bench!!

Second Honeymoon
08-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Could not agree more. In high school my coach shoved that into our heads. The guys standing around piles and loafing got hurt or hit hard. We called it "catching a cruiser."

if your head is not in the game you are most likely to be hurt/injured and you are never going to have success just going through the motions.

real
08-14-2007, 03:18 PM
if your head is not in the game you are most likely to be hurt/injured and you are never going to have success just going through the motions.

Agreed. Which is why I find it hard to swallow a second year rookie under all the scrutiny that he's been under "not going full out".

Again, I don't think it had anything to do with his effort. I just think that at this point he's not that good.

If Mario had a great burst off the line it would help him out tremendously; But instead, what he lacks in explosion and agression he will have to make up for mentally and technique wise...

Being non-agressive, and non-explosive are not two things conducive to being a successful WDE....Hopefully he can find a way to make it work...

Mr teX
08-14-2007, 03:22 PM

Not in the 1st preseason game though. That rule is generally suspended for the starters.

It is more of a "go thru the motions" type game & coaches back that up by pulling starters after a series or 2.

real
08-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Not in the 1st preseason game though. That rule is generally suspended for the starters.

It is more of a "go thru the motions" type game & coaches back that up by pulling starters after a series or 2.

Tell that to D-Rob coming down hill to smack Benson in the mouth...

Or Demeco making tackles 3 yards in the bacfield...

Mr teX
08-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Tell that to D-Rob coming down hill to smack Benson in the mouth...

Or Demeco making tackles 3 yards in the bacfield...

That's more of an example of the excitement of seeing a different color jersey than of them going all out.

real
08-14-2007, 03:59 PM
I went back and watched some of Mario's college highlights and I am now 100% convinced that this is a mental thing with him...

Hopefully with knowledge comes comfort...

HoustonFrog
08-14-2007, 04:01 PM

I'm sorry but if you are a football player lining up against another football player that wants to beat you, you DON"T go through the motions, you knock their head off. Any coach that tells a guy to go through the motions should get fired. That's when a leg gets rolled up. I've never, in any sport, heard that. The reason why they only go two series is to showcase the roster and see who belongs. Kubes was on yesterday and said this much. He said it would have been nice to see more of Schaub but he wanted to make sure to look at the guys whom he hadn't seen alot of to evaluate who belongs on the team.

Shaft75
08-14-2007, 04:06 PM
I went back and watched some of Mario's college highlights and I am now 100% convinced that this is a mental thing with him...

Hopefully with knowledge comes comfort...

A little bipolar are we?

LOL! You argued with me earlier and never even watched his game film from college... Seriously man, wake up.

Exithios
08-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Agreed. Which is why I find it hard to swallow a second year rookie under all the scrutiny that he's been under "not going full out".

Again, I don't think it had anything to do with his effort. I just think that at this point he's not that good.

If Mario had a great burst off the line it would help him out tremendously; But instead, what he lacks in explosion and agression he will have to make up for mentally and technique wise...

Being non-agressive, and non-explosive are not two things conducive to being a successful WDE....Hopefully he can find a way to make it work...

You also have to take into consideration that Mario was knocking off some of the rust against St. Clair who is among the most talented LT's in the league. Mario will come into form at some point but St. Clair isn't a scrub. Mario wasn't just getting stood up, he was flat out beat with text book technique. I will hold my opinions on Mario until opening day against KC when Mario will be facing a career backup at LT.

real
08-14-2007, 04:17 PM
A little bipolar are we?

LOL! You argued with me earlier and never even watched his game film from college... Seriously man, wake up.

Clueless wasn't just a movie...

:user:

Mr teX
08-14-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm sorry but if you are a football player lining up against another football player that wants to beat you, you DON"T go through the motions, you knock their head off. Any coach that tells a guy to go through the motions should get fired. That's when a leg gets rolled up. I've never, in any sport, heard that. The reason why they only go two series is to showcase the roster and see who belongs. Kubes was on yesterday and said this much. He said it would have been nice to see more of Schaub but he wanted to make sure to look at the guys whom he hadn't seen alot of to evaluate who belongs on the team.

By going through the motions i mean mostly looking at guys' technique, how they are executing this & how they are reading that etc, etc. Just checking the starters out. In no way am i implying that guys aren't moving quickly or are loafing around, they don't even do this in live scrimmages @ practices!

The competive nature of the athlete is going to take over the "knocking his block off" part so it's not about "telling" them to do anything. It's the opposite, coaches have to step in & take the starters out b/c of this thereby suspending the "all out" rule indirectly.

& Come on man you don't really believe that coach-speak do you? Coaches go into the preseason pretty much knowing 40-46 of the 52 or so roster spots. They usually have a pretty good idea of that by the 1st preseason game. Preseason is for the fringe guys, looking to seperate themselves from the others.

Coaches don't just complain about having too many preseason games for nothing, they fear the fact that they could lose 1 or more of their starters. & for what? basically nothing since the preseason is virtually meaningless.

Shaft75
08-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Clueless wasn't just a movie...

:user:

You and I need to just agree that we will make our judgements on 9/9. How does that sound?

real
08-14-2007, 04:32 PM
You also have to take into consideration that Mario was knocking off some of the rust against St. Clair who is among the most talented LT's in the league. Mario will come into form at some point but St. Clair isn't a scrub. Mario wasn't just getting stood up, he was flat out beat with text book technique. I will hold my opinions on Mario until opening day against KC when Mario will be facing a career backup at LT.

I don't believe in factors and variables such as who you're lining up against...

I can recognize when the opposing player just makes a good play...

Bottom line is that Mario looked very non-spectacular, and really mediocre...

My main gripe with Mario's play was how tentative he was...

In order for Mario to become a beast one of two things are going to happen...He's either going to have to stop being so tentative and attack the opposition or he'll have to wait for the overall talent in the NFL to get worse...

Right now either Mario is not totally comfortable with what he's supposed to be doing, or he's not comfortable with the fact that the guy lined up in front of him can actually block him...unlike most guys in college he faced...

It's a confidence thing...With confidence comes quicker play...

The question is whether or not he will ever get that confidence so he can think less and react more...

real
08-14-2007, 04:33 PM
You and I need to just agree that we will make our judgements on 9/9. How does that sound?

No, I'm going to continue to analyze what I see. Thanks for the offer though.

Shaft75
08-14-2007, 04:39 PM
No, I'm going to continue to analyze what I see. Thanks for the offer though.

You're over-analyzing at this point. But, by all means, don't let me keep you from sticking your size 10 in it.
:backsout:

HoustonFrog
08-14-2007, 04:45 PM
By going through the motions i mean mostly looking at guys' technique, how they are executing this & how they are reading that etc, etc. Just checking the starters out. In no way am i implying that guys aren't moving quickly or are loafing around, they don't even do this in live scrimmages @ practices!

The competive nature of the athlete is going to take over the "knocking his block off" part so it's not about "telling" them to do anything. It's the opposite, coaches have to step in & take the starters out b/c of this thereby suspending the "all out" rule indirectly.

& Come on man you don't really believe that coach-speak do you? Coaches go into the preseason pretty much knowing 40-46 of the 52 or so roster spots. They usually have a pretty good idea of that by the 1st preseason game. Preseason is for the fringe guys, looking to seperate themselves from the others.
Coaches don't just complain about having too many preseason games for nothing, they fear the fact that they could lose 1 or more of their starters. & for what? basically nothing since the preseason is virtually meaningless.

I believe it when you are the Texans and the talent level is just getting up to speed where you want to see who can start and play. You put in some of these guys and they are going against some strong second teamers. An example is at TE. We are pretty deep at TE right now so you want to see what guys can do. I just think this is the first season where you have to look at the 1st teamers and second teamers and see who can play. That applies to the O-line, LBs, etc.

As far as the preseason, I hate it but I do like seeing what is out there among non-starters. Its all about reps.

Brando
08-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Gawd, for his sake, and ours, I hope Mario makes alot of people eat their words this season.

No kidding. Bottom line he needs to perform this year.

I never want the Texans to have the #1 pick again.:gun:

:texflag:

Shaft75
08-14-2007, 04:59 PM
No kidding. Bottom line he needs to perform this year.

I never want the Texans to have the #1 pick again.:gun:

:texflag:

Mcfadden sure is talented though...

:dangit:

dickieb
08-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Remember in practice when he got called out last week, and it made him mad. He came out and practiced like a man on fire. In one of the threads someone suggested that we just get him mad before every game. It sound to me like he needs a little motivation to get going, which is something you wouldn't expect out of a #1 overall draft pick. I still think Mario will get better, but I hope he can find out how to get fired up before the games. We need to have the olineman across from him kick him in the balls or something. We need to sacrifice a chicken or something like they did in the movie Major League to get Pedro Cerrano fired up - Someone needs to mess with his Jobu.

I would just like to see Mario say...
"I stuck up for you Jobu. You no help me now...I say f you Jobu. I do it myself!"

Show us some fire Mario!!!

real
08-14-2007, 05:01 PM
You're over-analyzing at this point. But, by all means, don't let me keep you from sticking your size 10 in it.
:backsout:

Texan_Bill
08-14-2007, 05:29 PM
We need to sacrifice a chicken or something like they did in the movie Major League to get Pedro Cerrano fired up - Someone needs to mess with his Jobu.

I would just like to see Mario say...
"I stuck up for you Jobu. You no help me now...I say f you Jobu. I do it myself!"

Show us some fire Mario!!!

Very nice!!

"Do you mean to tell me Jesus Christ can't get pressure on the quarterback?"

Cerrano: "Ahhh, Jesus.... I like him vedy much"

Seriously though, are you suggesting that Mario lite a cigar and fix a ceremonial shot of rum??

Kaiser Toro
08-14-2007, 05:38 PM
"Up your butt Jobu," seemed to work swimmingly.

Mr teX
08-14-2007, 05:45 PM
I believe it when you are the Texans and the talent level is just getting up to speed where you want to see who can start and play. You put in some of these guys and they are going against some strong second teamers. An example is at TE. We are pretty deep at TE right now so you want to see what guys can do. I just think this is the first season where you have to look at the 1st teamers and second teamers and see who can play. That applies to the O-line, LBs, etc.

As far as the preseason, I hate it but I do like seeing what is out there among non-starters. Its all about reps.

Don't let him fool you, he has a VERY good idea of who's going to make it, just like mostly every coach cares nothing about winning a preseason game even though they publicly speak about their desire to win them.

Most of our fringe guys though are vying for special team & practice squad spots. None of them will even get close to sniffing the starting line up unless the injur...... lets not even think about that aspect of it.

There are only maybe 4-5 of these fringe guys who will get to start with the 1st or 2nd teamers to see if they can play or not. Everyone else like this kid horton that just got hurt & the hispanic guy really have virtually no shot to make the squad unless they "jump out" at kubes.