PDA

View Full Version : Okoye eager for debut

Wolf
08-10-2007, 05:59 PM
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2007/08/okoye_eager_for_debut.html

HOUSTON -- Amobi Okoye, the Lee High grad and No. 1 pick of the Houston Texans, makes his National Football League debut here Saturday night as the Texans host the Chicago Bears.

"As it gets closer, I get more excited," Okoye said. "Yesterday I was watching film and I had little jitterbugs. Even though it's preseason, it's still the first time in the NFL. I'm excited. I know one thing, I'm going to be psyched. I'll be ready go to."

Okoye will start at defensive tackle for the Texans, an expansion team beginning their sixth season in the NFL and still looking for their first winning season. He signed a $17.6 million, six-year contract just before training camp opened.

Okoye played collegiately at Louisville and when he was drafted No. 10 overall last spring, he became, at age 19, the youngest player ever chosen in the NFL draft. Assuming he plays in the Texans' Sept. 9 opener, he'll become the youngest player to appear in an NFL game, at 20 years, 91 days.

Okoye, who graduated from Louisville in 3 1/2 years with a degree in psychology, was born in Nigeria, then moved to Huntsville with parents Augustine and Edna and brother Arinze and sister Chioma when he was 12.

nunusguy
08-10-2007, 06:30 PM
"Okoye, who graduated from Louisville in 3 1/2 years with a degree in psychology, was born in Nigeria, then moved to Huntsville with parents Augustine and Edna and brother Arinze and sister Chioma when he was 12."
That's Huntsville, Alabama so we are maybe developing a potential fan base in that state with Okoye and DeMeco both being from there and starters for the Texans.

Insideop
08-10-2007, 07:00 PM
I know it will probably take some time, but I'm hoping this kid will have a great year this year and a great career with the Texans. I'd like to see us have a dominating defense starting this year! Go Okoye, and Go Texans! :texflag:

gwallaia
08-10-2007, 07:03 PM
That's Huntsville, Alabama so we are maybe developing a potential fan base in that state with Okoye and DeMeco both being from there and starters for the Texans.

Alabama's state slogan:

At least we're not Mississippi.