PDA

View Full Version : Grossman, Schaub in spotlight as Bears meet Texans

Wolf
08-10-2007, 05:58 PM
HOUSTON - Rex Grossman needs to prove he can be consistent. Matt Schaub that he's ready to be a starter.

The quarterbacks, at vastly different stages in their careers, will take the spotlight Saturday night when the defending NFC champion Chicago Bears open the preseason against the Houston Texans.

Schaub, the highly regarded backup who played behind Michael Vick for three seasons in Atlanta, takes over in Houston after the Texans dropped former No. 1 pick David Carr following five losing seasons.

Players and coaches alike heaped praise upon Schaub throughout training camp. Now it's time for him to perform and his first test comes against one of the NFL's toughest defenses.

"You kind of try to hold the excitement a little bit," coach Gary Kubiak said. "We've got a long way to go before we open up, but I'm excited about the progress he's made as a football player and as a leader on this team. We've got to take some small steps along the way as we work to Kansas City, but I want to keep him in one piece and keep him protected here Saturday."

Schaub said he's comfortable with the team and the offense and is looking forward to his Texans' debut.

"I'm getting a good feel for them and they are getting a good feel for me and we are starting to get things rolling and clicking on offense and getting our sense of timing down real well," he said.

After working with Schaub since he was traded to Houston in March, Andre Johnson can hardly wait to take the field with his new quarterback, even if it's only for a quarter.

"I am excited," he said. "You definitely want to see it in action because you want to see how far we've come since we got together."

Another new face on Houston's offense is running back Ahman Green. The four-time Pro Bowler, who spent the past seven seasons in Green Bay, hopes to bolster a running game that sputtered in 2006 until Ron Dayne came on in the last month of the season.

http://www.jg-tc.com/articles/2007/08/10/ap-state-il/d8qubpug0.txt