PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Irons out for the season

Old School
08-10-2007, 01:48 PM
CINCINNATI (AP) -- Rookie running back Kenny Irons of the Bengals will be out for the season after tearing a knee ligament during an exhibition game at Detroit.

Irons, the Bengals' second-round draft choice from Auburn, is expected to recover fully by next spring, Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis said Friday

Irons went to the locker room on a cart after hobbling off the field in the game won 27-26 by the Lions. He was diagnosed with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

He had four carries for 17 yards, including an 11-yard gain, after replacing starter Rudi Johnson in the exhibition opener for both teams.

Injuries held Irons to 893 yards last season after he led the Southeastern Conference in 2005 by averaging 108 yards

Tough break for the rookie. You hate to see that happen to anyone. I think I read somewhere else that he got his foot caught up in the turf.

Noblesse Oblige
08-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Tough break for the rookie. You hate to see that happen to anyone. I think I read somewhere else that he got his foot caught up in the turf.

that's what it looked like. he didn't get hit or anything, just tried to cut one way and his foot got stuck. a real shame, I think he could have been a star. He may never be the same.

aj.
08-10-2007, 03:17 PM
What is it with Bengals RBs in preseason openers ...

I'm sure the clever headline writers have their Ki Jana Irons stories locked and loaded ...

It's a shame. And what I dread most about preseason.

Errant Hothy
08-10-2007, 03:33 PM
I think that's every fan's/coach's/player's biggest nightmare over the preseason, and it's the main reason to shorten the preseason.

Hopeful the Texans don't...sorry, don't want to jinx them.

edo783
08-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Tough break. I thougth the kid would be a good one. Still might with todays medical abilities.

mexican_texan
08-10-2007, 10:01 PM
I think he'll be a Bengals starter someday. A damn good one that will go down in the books as a guy that fought for every single inch.