PDA

View Full Version : DLine coach Franklin says Mario Faster & more Explosive

nunusguy
08-10-2007, 09:24 AM
"I like 'em fast," Franklin said. "Speed is the name of our game. He had the size. Now, he'll have more speed. He learned that he had to get faster and more explosive. That's what I mean when I talk about his approach to the game. Now, we'll just throw some more technique work in there and see what happens."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5042216.html

Decent Chron article re Marios 2nd season.

Runner
08-10-2007, 03:59 PM
"I like 'em fast," Franklin said. "Speed is the name of our game. He had the size. Now, he'll have more speed. He learned that he had to get faster and more explosive. That's what I mean when I talk about his approach to the game. Now, we'll just throw some more technique work in there and see what happens."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5042216.html

Decent Chron article re Marios 2nd season.

Sounds like a plan. It was hard to watch him hesitate at the snap last year when he had those great explosive measures at the combine.

Double Barrel
08-10-2007, 04:39 PM
I think 'more technique work' will be key to Mario's game and a big factor as a potential dominant DE. Speed is good and all, but he tends to let the brick wall of an offensive lineman get up under him, and he lacks the leverage to counter it. He'll need to learn to get around that wall if he's ever going to be the force on our d-line that everyone hopes for.

DBCooper
08-10-2007, 04:49 PM
I think 'more technique work' will be key to Mario's game and a big factor as a potential dominant DE. Speed is good and all, but he tends to let the brick wall of an offensive lineman get up under him, and he lacks the leverage to counter it. He'll need to learn to get around that wall if he's ever going to be the force on our d-line that everyone hopes for.

That's what I want to see this year.

He needs to find a way to get around anyone using different tools to throw the lineman off balance.

If Mario can develop his techniques, the beast will be unleashed.

powerfuldragon
08-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Sounds like a plan. It was hard to watch him hesitate at the snap last year when he had those great explosive measures at the combine.
i know what you mean.

Wolf
08-10-2007, 04:57 PM

hopefully because with the new system he was thinking, instead of just playing

The1ApplePie
08-10-2007, 05:12 PM
If Franklin can get the kid to actually use some moves, he could be a beast.

CloakNNNdagger
08-10-2007, 07:34 PM

It's tough to get technique down when you're bounced from one position to another like Mario was last year. A technique for one position may be totally counterproductive for another. Mario played all four line positions. It may seem that even simply playing on the left rather than the right may be no big thing, but most things end up in mirror image, and can get pretty confusing for someone wanting to get his technique down. Now being planted in one position will allow Mario to live up to his potential. After a few "real" games, expect to see Mario the Mauler, do just that to opposing quarterbacks.

Honoring Earl 34
08-10-2007, 07:40 PM
It's tough to get technique down when you're bounced from one position to another like Mario was last year. A technique for one position may be totally counterproductive for another. Mario played all four line positions. It may seem that even simply playing on the left rather than the right may be no big thing, but most things end up in mirror image, and can get pretty confusing for someone wanting to get his technique down. Now being planted in one position will allow Mario to live up to his potential. After a few "real" games, expect to see Mario the Mauler, do just to opposing quarterbacks.

That would elevate this team a bunch to have Mario terrorizing QBs .

Ells1626
08-11-2007, 03:22 AM
I agree with what all of ya'll are thinking about Mario. But one thing that I have noticed is that everyone jumps on Mario for not using "technique". While I completely agree that the bullrush move became extremely repetitive and boring to watch, Mario did not practice for a good portion last year. As as a rookie I can only imagine that trying to keep up with the speed up of the game, an injured foot, and using the one move that has always worked best the you, that a fan would not see a signifigant improvement from Mario. Now that he is healed and being coached by two different coaches on technique, experience, etc. how can you not anticipate to what Mario can do. Not only that he has maintained practice now, but the fact he lost 20 pounds can only make him quicker off the snap whihch a DE needs to have.

Scooter
08-11-2007, 04:09 AM
mario's lack of technique is undeniable, but i like what franklin is saying. mario last year played with a ton of hesitation and inexperience. very few times was he explosive off of the snap and attacking, instead he looked like he was unsure and waiting to see what happened. no amount of technique overcomes that against an NFL calibre offensive linemen. what mario hopefully has going for him this year is being comfortable with his role and the ability to take off attacking at the snap. technique's going to come with experience, this year needs to be a ball of reckless full-speed abandon and learning more about what he's capable of. blend technique and moves in during practice, but let mario go ape-poo this year and get him comfortable with his body and his position first.

yes he should've had that experience last year, but between the foot, the poor line management (shifting him everywhere and subbing too frequently), and having the vince/reggie/#1 burdon ... i never got the impression that they took the collar off of mario.