PDA

View Full Version : Demeco:Former Tide star now knows what he's doing

Wolf
08-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Ryans not just relying on instinct for Texans

HOUSTON - Here's a scary thought:

This time a year ago, DeMeco Ryans was a lost ball in high weeds. He spent his evenings "cramming with the playbook, trying to dissect it picture-by-picture, every play there was, every situation there was," he recalled.

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/1186737809224480.xml&coll=1

aj.
08-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Just stay healthy Demeco and you'll be a perennial Pro Bowler.

Speaking of Huntsville, I was there most of the spring/early summer and got the impression that few people there really know/care that much about Amobi.

It's like "oh yeah, that kid that played at Louisville." Some of the locals really didn't know that he 'grew up' in Huntsville (at least for a few years). It may have been because Amobi was only 16 when he went off to college and didn't establish himself in football until while at Louisville - and while they may have heard a story in the news about this unique player from their hometown, they really didn't follow him at Louisville. Because ....

If you're not in the SEC, you're not squat and in Huntsville, everything is Roll Tide. One of my co-workers would wear an Auburn polo every once in a while to keep things stirred up.

Now Demeco is a different story. He's a hero in north Alabama. 59 and 80 are special players. As good as it gets in the NFL.

michaelm
08-10-2007, 08:23 AM
59 and 80 are special players. As good as it gets in the NFL.

It would be great at this time next year if we can add any combination of the following numbers to your list:
8, 90, 91, 81, 12, 77, 32, and/or 47

Those numbers are listed in no particular order, but out of all of them, I think 8 and 90 would have the most significant impact on the team as a whole if they turn out to be "as good as it gets in the NFL"... hmmmm, ok, maybe 77, too... :texflag:

Porky
08-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Just stay healthy Demeco and you'll be a perennial Pro Bowler.

Speaking of Huntsville, I was there most of the spring/early summer and got the impression that few people there really know/care that much about Amobi.

It's like "oh yeah, that kid that played at Louisville." Some of the locals really didn't know that he 'grew up' in Huntsville (at least for a few years). It may have been because Amobi was only 16 when he went off to college and didn't establish himself in football until while at Louisville - and while they may have heard a story in the news about this unique player from their hometown, they really didn't follow him at Louisville. Because ....

If you're not in the SEC, you're not squat and in Huntsville, everything is Roll Tide. One of my co-workers would wear an Auburn polo every once in a while to keep things stirred up.

Now Demeco is a different story. He's a hero in north Alabama. 59 and 80 are special players. As good as it gets in the NFL.

How did you like Huntsville? I lived there for a VERY short time on a job transfer about 20+ yrs ago now. But, I really loved the city and the area, and beautiful scenery. I might still be there if my new boss had not been such a jerk that he ran me off. Since my entire family was in Houston, and I was very young (like 21) I immediately moved back to Houston, but I did love Huntsville.

aj.
08-10-2007, 03:03 PM
I like it a lot. It seems very liveable and affordable. The west side out by the airport is booming - reminds me of Clear Lake several years ago. I especially like the airport - 8 gates - easy to get into and out of...a quick hop on Express Jet.

There's tons of military work going on there. A buddy of mine just relocated there - working for Boeing on a missile project. Every aerospace and defense contractor known to mankind has a nice shiny building there. And they are building a huge new 5 star hotel complex on the freeway at Research Park.

But in general, if you want/need big city stuff, forget about it. If you follow Nascar (I don't) and the SEC (I do), it's heaven. New Huntsville looks like they dropped a suburb into the middle of farm land. Old Huntsville is old. New and old are connected by University Blvd. Makes for an interesting blend.

And yeah, it's scary to think of the possibilities given that Demeco 'now' knows what he's doing.

Double Barrel
08-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Based on what we've seen so far, DeMeco can be one of those household names in a couple of years. Once this team starts winning and people start paying attention, a well-spoken likable guy like Ryans is a huge PR asset. He's a class act and dominant force, which is very marketable.

I don't want to be blindingly optimistic and swimming in koolaide here...but I've got a good 'gut feeling' about our D this time around. Having the first year in the new 4-3 out of the way, along with great talent like DeMeco & D.Rob (and hopefully Mario & Okoye), we have the potential to give offensive coordinators headaches. Let's hope so, at least.