PDA

View Full Version : Bears Payne approaching first game(Texans) with something to prove

Wolf
08-09-2007, 06:43 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?STORY_ID=3682

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. Kevin Payne will attend his first NFL game Saturday night when the Bears open the preseason on the road against the Houston Texans. The fact that the rookie strong safety will actually play in the contest figures to make it even more special.

Im really looking forward to it, Payne said. I think Ive got a lot of talent I can go out there and show the coaches. Ive got a lot to go out there and prove.

Bears rookie Kevin Payne is battling for playing time at a deep safety position.
Selected in the fifth round of the draft, Payne is a physical run defender at the point of attack who also possesses the athleticism to play safety in the Bears cover-two defense.

The hard-hitting 6-foot, 212-pounder has impressed coaches in training camp working as a reserve behind experienced veteran starters Mike Brown and Adam Archuleta.

Im just trying to learn everything I can from them and hopefully down the line they can use my help, Payne said.

Possessing the perfect last name to play safety in the NFL, Payne knows all about not only dishing out punishment but absorbing it. As a running back at Louisiana-Monroe in 2003, he was named Sun Belt Conference Freshman of the Year after rushing for 976 yards and six touchdowns and catching 41 passes for 488 yards and 3 TDs.