PDA

View Full Version : Jon Abbate:MR. WHATEVER IT TAKES

Wolf
08-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Snubbed in NFL draft, Abbate accepts Texans' unusual challenge

By Steve Hummer
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/09/07

Houston —- A lot of the particulars of the Jon Abbate football ode have changed this season. His team. His position. His payoff. But one theme that has marked it as special remains the same.

As he has done in every game for the past year, Abbate plans to begin the fourth quarter of Saturday's Houston Texans-Chicago Bears preseason game by holding up five fingers. Wherever football takes him, it's still about remembering his younger brother, Luke. It has been that way since Valentine's Day 2006, when he died in an automobile accident on his way home from lacrosse practice. He was only 15.

Five was Luke's number at Harrison High. Every time Jon extends all the fingers on his right hand, he figures it brings his brother back to life just a little bit.

It's the same gesture that bonded the Wake Forest fan base last season. As victory followed victory, it became an intimate part of the Demon Deacons' surprising story. Word spread, and the crowd at Groves Stadium joined Abbate in thrusting five fingers heavenward. By the time the Deacons made the ACC championship game in Jacksonville, even the Georgia Tech people rose and joined in the tribute to begin the fourth quarter, one of the most memorable scenes of a 9-6 Wake Forest win that Abbate dominated with his 15 tackles.

Jon Abbate has gone from a high school star at Harrison to fire-breathing linebacker at Wake Forest to an undrafted long shot in the NFL. Still, even as he plays a bit role Saturday, Houston Texans fans will have read or heard plenty about the five-finger salute before the game. You don't bury that kind of story down on the depth chart. They, too, are invited to join in, should they choose.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/printedition/2007/08/09/abbate.html

Grams
08-09-2007, 07:30 AM
I would hope they choose.

That kind of spirit and determination is contagious.

TEXANS84
08-09-2007, 09:02 AM
As he has done in every game for the past year, Abbate plans to begin the fourth quarter of Saturday's Houston Texans-Chicago Bears preseason game by holding up five fingers.

Ok, attention Bullpen...lets make it happen.

Buffi2
08-09-2007, 09:12 AM

Bullpen and everyone else who is still around at the beginning of the 4th quarter. If there is one thing this team still needs, it is spirit and fire from the fans.:fans:

rmartin65
08-09-2007, 09:17 AM
I hope he does well.

Texans_Chick
08-09-2007, 09:23 AM

I swapped tickets with someone, so I will be sitting 3 rows behind the Texans bench though if things are like they are in the past, more on the defensive players' side.

I'll try to make that happen behind the bench.

Twitch-Houston
08-09-2007, 09:40 AM
I swapped tickets with someone, so I will be sitting 3 rows behind the Texans bench though if things are like they are in the past, more on the defensive players' side.

I'll try to make that happen behind the bench.

We'll be sitting a few rows back behind the Bears' bench. Nothing like doing it in enemy territory!! ha ha

:fans:

the wonger need food
08-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Great kid... great story. He's the type of guy you build a team around.

Double Barrel
08-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Keep 5 alive. We'll be representing up with the goat herders in the 500's. :texflag:

michaelm
08-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Keep 5 alive. We'll be representing up with the goat herders in the 500's. :texflag:

HAHA! WE 600s look down on you lowly 500s!!!!!

At least one person will have up the five in section 648...

Wolf
08-09-2007, 11:14 PM
http://brianleon.com/notes/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/2007-01-10-abbate-med.jpg

At first, it was a personal gesture and one which he displays to his family in the stands when they come out to the ball game. In support, his teammates picked up on it and then the home crowd at Wake Forest games. Soon, as Wake Forest’s success this year caused increased media coverage, the nation also began to know about it.

So now this tale may become a film of his life as proposed by one producer. This may be a good thing to help memorialise Luke’s memory

http://brianleon.com/notes/2007/01/11/jon-abbate-life-may-become-a-film/

Kaiser Toro
08-10-2007, 01:50 AM
I am bringing my in-laws to the game on Saturday for their 40th Anniversary. They have lived in Austin for decades, but they are from Chicago. Like myself, they will have their hand up.

mexican_texan
08-10-2007, 02:41 AM
I will raise my hand from my couch.

Andrew6
08-10-2007, 03:23 AM
can we raise one and and one finger to the bears the whole rest of the game?

TexanSam
08-10-2007, 03:26 AM
I'd be cool if the whole team did it.

whiskeyrbl
08-10-2007, 05:23 AM
We will be holding up 5 in the 606

WaywardTexanFan
08-10-2007, 06:23 AM
I will be holding up 5 at midnight Maryland time. When the NFLN rebroadcasts the game.

I have also taken the liberty of reposting the original thread on the Texans website BB. I hope that more people pick up on this tradition and the entire stadium shows support.

:fans: :texflag: :gotexans1

DieselDeac
08-10-2007, 10:27 AM
I've had season tickets to Wake football for the past 5 years. Watching the entire stadium hold up five and give a few minutes of silent tribute was absolutely amazing. Still gives me chills. I know Abbate would appreciate the support.

Shaft75
08-10-2007, 10:41 AM
I sit on the opposite side of the bullpen in the front row. You know, the shady seats.:shades: But anyways, I will tell everyone about this story. Maybe if we start at both ends, somehow it might reach everyone on the lower level in wave-like fashion.

***That would make a good smiley. Some Texans fans doing the wave.***

Texans_Chick
08-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Okay sports fans.

Here's a summary post I wrote about this:

Texans Fans Spread the Word: Raise Five Fingers for Abbate (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/08/10/texans-fans-spread-the-word-raise-five-fingers-for-abbate/)

There is a "Email This" link at the bottom of the entry. With as many people as we have here, if we send it to various talk radio/newspaper folks, and Texans fans we know are going to the game and we tell people sitting around us about it, we can help make this happen.

:texflag:

badboy
08-10-2007, 02:23 PM
How about blasting emails and sports talk shows and get this out? Talk it up early before and during the game with all around you. Call television shows and non sport shows as a human interest story? We are TEXANS and we can do this! It has to pump up the team. Would it not be cool if during the National Anthem or player introductions they held up five?

Wolf
08-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Okay sports fans.

Here's a summary post I wrote about this:

Texans Fans Spread the Word: Raise Five Fingers for Abbate (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/08/10/texans-fans-spread-the-word-raise-five-fingers-for-abbate/)

There is a "Email This" link at the bottom of the entry. With as many people as we have here, if we send it to various talk radio/newspaper folks, and Texans fans we know are going to the game and we tell people sitting around us about it, we can help make this happen.

:texflag:

thanks TC

Double Barrel
08-10-2007, 05:47 PM
HAHA! WE 600s look down on you lowly 500s!!!!!

At least one person will have up the five in section 648...

Ahhhh, a cloud walker. Us goat herders look up to you dudes! :fans:

KEEP FIVE ALIVE!!

Señor Stan
08-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Ahhhh, a cloud walker. Us goat herders look up to you dudes! :fans:

KEEP FIVE ALIVE!!

Did anyone at the game hold up the five fingers?

Texans_Chick
08-12-2007, 09:45 AM

Yes. :texflag:

We were right behind Abbate in the stands when he held up his 5 fingers. I got as many people as I could to hold up their hands, and he turned around and saw us, and gave us a little acknowledgement head nod, and then put his hand down shortly after. I'm glad we could do something.

Unfortunately, those aren't my normal seats, and I think if I hadn't have told folks, I don't think anyone would have done it. I think the Chronic is going to do an article on him later this week, but most of the stories don't really emphasize when fans are suppose to do it. (right before the 4th quarter).

Grams
08-12-2007, 09:49 AM
The TV coverage didn't show anything.

Twitch-Houston
08-13-2007, 12:32 PM

We were sitting 3 rows up behind the Bears bench. I couldn't find Abbate at the start of the 4th quarter. I kept looking and I kept looking in the stands behind the Texans bench and in the end zones, but didn't see anyone holding 5 up. How long did it last?

-Twitch

disaacks3
08-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Did anyone at the game hold up the five fingers? I was holding mine up in the Bull Pen, but I didn't see anyone around me doing so.

Double Barrel
08-13-2007, 01:16 PM

We did, too. :texflag:

Texans_Chick
08-13-2007, 01:18 PM
We were sitting 3 rows up behind the Bears bench. I couldn't find Abbate at the start of the 4th quarter. I kept looking and I kept looking in the stands behind the Texans bench and in the end zones, but didn't see anyone holding 5 up. How long did it last?

-Twitch

He walked from in front of Section 107, to in front of 106 with his hand in the air. I'm glad he came in front of us and saw our small group with our hands up, because most of the time he was not terribly close to where we were sitting.

It wasn't for very long, maybe 20-30 seconds.

Twitch-Houston
08-13-2007, 02:46 PM
He walked from in front of Section 107, to in front of 106 with his hand in the air. I'm glad he came in front of us and saw our small group with our hands up, because most of the time he was not terribly close to where we were sitting.

It wasn't for very long, maybe 20-30 seconds.

Oh ok....so he comes in holding up 5. I thought maybe he did it before the kickoff of the 4th quarter. Thanks for the info.

Texans_Chick
08-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Oh ok....so he comes in holding up 5. I thought maybe he did it before the kickoff of the 4th quarter. Thanks for the info.

He did it between the 3rd and the 4th quarter. Short break. He walked from the bench in front of 107 to the bench in front of 106. At the end, he was standing between the bench and the field.

It has to be hard for him to know that it is possible given his injury that every game may be his last one--both from his obvious love of the game, and that he won't be partially playing for his brother any more.

Yankee_In_TX
08-13-2007, 02:53 PM

Sorry, we were in the Cantina, errrrr, "just talking." But we'll get it done for future games.