PDA

View Full Version : PFT.com: Some Love for Schaub

the wonger need food
08-07-2007, 05:39 PM
profootballtalk.com is absolutely the best source for pro football info... and I'm not just saying that because they like Matt Schaub....

http://www.profootballtalk.com/QBFantasyRankings.htm

14. Matt Schaub, Texans: We like what we saw of Schaub in Atlanta, and we think he'll immediately become well acquainted with receiver Andre Johnson.

tsip
08-07-2007, 05:59 PM
I agree Wonger!!...now,if you could just figure out a way to keep this thread from the naysayers that have dumped on every other pro-Schaub post...

hollywood_texan
08-07-2007, 06:04 PM
I agree Wonger!!...now,if you could just figure out a way to keep this thread from the naysayers that have dumped on every other pro-Schaub post...

I am excited about this season, but a lot remains to be seen.

GO TEXANS!!!

V3rm0nt3r
08-07-2007, 06:11 PM
I like what they say about Schaub but I think they put Cutler to high for a 2nd year qb. Even with Smith, Walker, and Stokely he hasn't proved enough to be put above Drew Brees and Alex Smith.

Double Barrel
08-07-2007, 06:33 PM

Good luck with all that! :gun:

p.s. I hereby declare this a YKW-free zone!!!! :pirate: please 2nd the motion!

tsip
08-07-2007, 06:41 PM
I am excited about this season, but a lot remains to be seen.

GO TEXANS!!!

...you should remember me from last year, as we shared similar thoughts about a lot of things, especially you know who...

Anyway, like a few on the board, I didn't know anything about Schaub before the Texans signed him so I did some research. First, from the pro side and unlike Carr, Matt got to ride the bench and learn the NFL 'game.' With Vicks $100,000,000 contract, there was no way he was going to start anytime soon...until the dog fight issue...

But, it was his college career that impressed me--first, Matt played 2 full seasons and was very consistent. His QB rating was well over 100 every year and he threw for almost 3000 yds in both of those years--too, he had 20+ tds and low interceptions. Matt finsihed his college career as the 2nd most accurate passer in Div 1AA at over 68%. He set all kinds of Virginia records, and-going into 2003-he was the #1 rated QB pick for the Heisman...until he got hurt, and wasn't drafted until the 3rd round.

Also, as a further testament to his mental state, Matt entered his final yr at Virginia to play football as a Grad Student...

So, for me, there are several positives. First, his college career was consistent and productive. Second, he's been very accurate and efficient. Third, he's been a quick and effective decsion maker. And, he has a heart and does not come across as a 'me' first individual. I may be wrong, but I don't see Matt has the type of player that will accept excuses for poor play and tell others he hated to go to 'work' on Sundays.

Finally, I believe Schaub will be coachable and will do whatever it takes to help the team win...

brakos82
08-07-2007, 07:02 PM

Anyway, like a few on the board, I didn't know anything about Schaub before the Texans signed him so I did some research. First, from the pro side and unlike Carr, Matt got to ride the bench and learn the NFL 'game.' With Vicks $100,000,000 contract, there was no way he was going to start anytime soon...until the dog fight issue...

I think it didn't work... :wild: :tease:

Specnatz
08-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Good luck with all that! :gun:

I will second it ...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/Specnatz/0019.gif

brakos82
08-07-2007, 07:07 PM
ready, down, hut-hut-hut-hut-hut!

Double Barrel
08-07-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm kind of surprised that Young is so far down the list, considering how highly people think of him. I would not have been shocked if he had been put at 14 and Schaub at 24, just because MS has never started and has so many unknowns.

24. Vince Young, Titans: If fantasy games were won based on highlight-reel runs, he'd be the No. 1 overall pick

This sounds like what the media said about Vick, circa 2002-3.

The season can't start soon enough! We have so many questions right now...who will be a viable no. 2 WR...will Schaub be all that....the o-line...our running game...our defensive line....our coverage...

Overalls
08-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Man. Some how I accidently started a thread on the Titans board about this.

ObsiWan
08-08-2007, 06:31 AM
I like what they say about Schaub but I think they put Cutler to high for a 2nd year qb. Even with Smith, Walker, and Stokely he hasn't proved enough to be put above Drew Brees and Alex Smith.

Drew didn't look so swuft against the Steelers.

gtexan02
08-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Naysaying Schaub is just as futile as pumping him up. We will have a lot of questions answered this weekend, and I frankly can't wait!!

Buffi2
08-08-2007, 08:38 AM
This weekend should show us how the offense is going to be - flaws and strengths - going up against the Chicago defense - you couldn't ask for a better "practice session."

I am totally excited - even for a pre season game.:texflag:

bigbrewster2000
08-08-2007, 08:39 AM

I would not read too much into a 5 minute pre season start.

HOU-TEX
08-08-2007, 08:44 AM
I would not read too much into a 5 minute pre season start.

I agree with this. We aren't even game planning for the Bears yet. If someone wants to look at a pre-season game for answers about our team, watch the dallas game.

I'm pumped to watch the game, but I won't be critiquing our first team. I'll be paying more attention to the backups that are fighting for a roster spot.:)

real
08-08-2007, 09:54 AM
I dunno...

I think a lot of folks have never even seen Schaub throw a pass...

Some things you will be able to see out of Schaub is how he sets up to pass, how quickly he makes reads, and his overall pocket presence...

Ofcourse you won't be able to see if he has heart, and leadership, the intangibles to take us to the superbowl and all that jazz...:whistle:

V3rm0nt3r
08-08-2007, 10:44 AM

All right take Brees out of the mix.

That leaves Philip Rivers who will be have LT to keep the pressure off the pass game, Garcia who produced with mediocre WRs last year so he'll be able to do it again, and Tony Romo, who I'm not high at all on but he has quite a following all over the NFL with T.O., Glenn, and Witten to throw to I see him keeping his job in Dallas past this year.

Specnatz
08-08-2007, 11:00 AM
9. Rex Grossman, Bears: Though he's not yet ready for a run at the MVP, the shift of Devin Hester to offense is going to pump up Rex's numbers.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/Specnatz/signs019.gif

V3rm0nt3r
08-08-2007, 12:13 PM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/Specnatz/signs019.gif

agreed.

Texans_Chick
08-08-2007, 05:09 PM
PFT is better at gossip than they are about actual football stuff. Some of Florio's fantasy talk is particularly silly.

In any event, Sirius NFL Radio featured the Texans training camp today. I only got to get part of it, but I was happy to learn that I could pick out Schaub's voice just by scanning channels and hearing a small bit.

He was interviewed and so was Eric Winston. If saying the right things meant that you win games, the Texans are going to the Super Bowl.:texflag:

Both sounded very upbeat and responsible. Winston talked some about how the Texans offensive line will be running both zone and power stuff, and that because of the personnel on the line, they are able to do both even when some other teams can't. Thought it was interesting that he said that, and I guess the proof will be in the play on the field. He also said that he believes that they will be in a position to really wear teams down late in games.

Texanfan4ever
08-09-2007, 11:50 AM
I've said all along, if Schaub and the guys play as well as they talk, we are on the way. Should be a great year.