PDA

View Full Version : Guess who is done for the year?

Yankee_In_TX
08-07-2007, 03:29 PM
http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seahawks

Morning practice update
Posted by Frank Hughes @ 09:48:33 am
I forgot my press credential so I'm doing a quick blog while I come up to the media room to retrieve it.

Walter Jones sidelined for the fourth consecutive day with a sore shoulder. Also out, everybody from yesterday: Womack, Tubbs, Taylor, Kirtman, Heller, Terrill, Babineaux, Leroy Hill and Ghee and Joppru. No word on the extent of Joppru's injury.

-----

Elsewhere, Ben Joppru seems to have suffered a serious hip injury, but Holmgren was not specific on the amount of time he will be out.

disaacks3
08-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Poor Bennie, that guy is the walking definition of "Snakebit"!

gtexan02
08-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Normally when people get hurt its really depressing. When joppru gets hurt, I can't help but laugh a little. Poor guy, he never could catch a break

Yankee_In_TX
08-07-2007, 03:39 PM
catch a break

Doesn't he catch one every TC? *buh bum ching*

Koolaid Time
08-07-2007, 03:50 PM
You know what.. under the NFLPA Pension Plan.. I think he can qualify if he makes 2 more camps.

Wouldn't it be something if he qualified for the pension without playing a single down in regular season?

Yankee_In_TX
08-07-2007, 03:54 PM
You know what.. under the NFLPA Pension Plan.. I think he can qualify if he makes 2 more camps.

Wouldn't it be something if he qualified for the pension without playing a single down in regular season?

How many seasons does he have to be signed without playing a down to set a record?

BigWig
08-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Ddi he ever catch a pass? He always catches a break and uses it!

gtexan02
08-07-2007, 04:00 PM
I was listening to 610 AM just a minute ago, and they had me in tears recounting poor Joppru's injury history.

In Dom's last year, Joppru was back and healthier than ever. He went out for his first ever TC snap of the year, lined up at TE, and was supposed to run a 10 yard hitch. He ran straight ahead, fell down like he had been shot, and was carted off the field. Poor guy was allergic to pro football

real
08-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Jopru is the Kenny of football.

Porky
08-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Not again!

:crying:

Wolf
08-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Doesn't he catch one every TC? *buh bum ching*

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w33/jackals_incarnation/rimshot.gif
that one?

PapaL
08-08-2007, 11:01 AM
I think he is one lucky guy. Come on, he's gotten paid to sit in the trainer's office. NFL minimum wage is MUCH more then most people get.

Hope he learned something from the trainer because at this rate I'm sure he has enough knowledge to become one.

Koolaid Time
08-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Here are his benefits:

Post-Career Financial Plan
Financial security for players during and after their football career is a goal of the NFLPA. That's why the NFLPA has negotiated a solid package of programs to help players at different career stages. Together these four plans create a post-career financial plan for players.

There are two things used to calculate these benefits: credited seasons and benefit credits.

Credited season
Benefits in these plans are generally based on "credited seasons." A credited season is any season in which a player is on one of the following lists for at least three regular-season or post-season games:

active
inactive injured reserve
physically unable to perform/football.
A player also will get credit for a "credited season" if he is released injured and paid the equivalent of at least three game checks.

STEP 1: Severance Pay Plan
If a player is released during this Collective Bargaining Agreement and has at least two credited seasons in the league, he'll receive $10,000 for every year he played 1993-1999, 2000-final League year. If a player had a credited season between 1993-1999, he will receive $5,000 for each year played 1989-1992. Credited seasons for severance pay prior to 1989 are governed by the 1982 CBA.

Click on the PDF link below for the Severance Procedure

Severance Procedure
STEP 2: NFL Player Annuity Program

Players with four or more credited seasons are eligible for this program.
Therefore, an eligible player should receive approximately $65,000 in an Annuity Program contribution for 2005.
Players may elect to receive a distribution at age 35 or five years after his last credited season, whichever is later.

STEP 3: NFL Player Second Career Savings Plan
Players are eligible to contribute to the plan and receive a club contribution if they have two (2) credited seasons. First year players (not including practice squad players) may contribute to the plan.

2001-final League year: $2 for each $1 player makes in saving contributions; maximum club contribution is $20,000.

The minimum club contribution for the 2001 season through the final League year is $3,600, if a player elects not to contribute his own pre-tax savings

Players can choose among nine investment fund options. Those options include
:

a stable value fund
a value fund
an international fund
an index fund
a bond fund
a balanced fund
a small cap value fund
a small cap core fund
a growth fund

Players can withdraw the money in their accounts at age 45 or later.

For more information on the savings plan, contact the NFLPA Benefits Department.

STEP 4: Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle NFL Player Retirement Plan

Benefits Credits Retirement plan benefits are based on "benefit credits." Players earn a benefit credit for each credited season according to the following table. The amount of money a player will receive each month upon retirement at age 55 is equal to the sum of benefit credits for all of a player's credited seasons.

Credited Season Benefit Credit
Before 1982 $200
1982 through 1992 230
1993 and 1994 240
1995 and 1996 285
1997 330
1998-final League year 425

Example: An Active Player for three or more games of the 1996 through 1999 seasons. His Benefits Credits total $1,465 ($285 + $330 + $425 + $425 = $1,465). The player will, therefore, receive $1,465 per month when he begins to receive his pension benefit at age 55.

Players may be eligible to collect a pension benefit beginning at age 55.

When a player retires or leaves the league, he will receive a letter from the NFLPA Benefits Department telling him what he is eligible to receive.

Injury Protection Benefit
The injury protection benefit has been improved. It will pay 50% of a player's contract salary up to a maximum of:

$225,000 in 2002
$250,000 in 2003 and 2004
A player may qualify for the Injury Protection benefit if he suffers an injury which prevents him from being able to play in the last game of that season, or which requires surgery. Such injury must continue to prevent the player from playing football by the time of the pre-season physical examination of the following season, and result in the player's contract being terminated by his club.

If a dispute arises thereafter as to whether or not the player should have passed the pre-season physical examination, the player should get an examination of his injury by a second opinion physician within 14 days of his contract termination. Then, evidence of the second opinion physician's examination, as well as other medical evidence, may be used in a non-injury grievance filed to enforce the player's right to this benefit.

Disability Benefits
If a player retires or stops playing because he is injured, disability benefits are critically important and are provided as part of the retirement plan. The following list shows a summary of annual pension disability benefits under the new program by type of disability.

Line of Duty Disability
If a player incurs a substantial disablement arising out of League football activities (but he is not totally and permanently disables), he may be eligible for "line of duty" disability benefits.

Minimum benefit: 100% of benefit credits but not less than $1,000/month.
Duration of payments: 7-1/2 years
Application time: must apply within 4 years of leaving NFL
Workers Compensation: No off-set

Total and Permanent Disability
Total and permanent disability falls under three categories:

Active Football
Benefit provided for a player who is disabled as a result of NFL football activities and shortly thereafter results in a total and permanent disability (unable to work at any occupation).

2003-Final League Year: $224,000 per year

Active Non-football
Benefit provided for a player whose disability does not result from football activities but does arise while an active player and results in a total and permanent disability.

2003-Final League Year: $134,000 per year

Football (Degenerative)
Benefit provided to take care of a player well into the future. If a vested player becomes disabled from football activities and results in a Total and Permanent Disability before the latter of age 45 or 12 years after the last Credited Season.

2003-Final League Year: $110,000 per year

Koolaid Time
08-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Now this is sad about Benny:

http://kitsapsun.com/news/2007/jun/07/no-name-tight-ends-see-opportunity-with-hawks/

"Joppru got his foot further in the NFL's door when he was a second-round draft pick out of the University of Michigan in 2003. But he suffered a sports hernia during his rookie year with the Houston Texans, then aggravated the injury the following training camp. During the first minicamp practice of his third season, he tore a ligament in his knee and was sidelined again.

Joppru, 27, didn't play in a single regular-season game during his three seasons with the Texans, who gave up on him after the 2005 season. The Seahawks signed him off the street last November, and he saw some immediate playing time on special teams.

Joppru's 2006 stint with the Seahawks was anything but stable, as he started out living in teammate Ryan Plackemeier's basement and eventually finished the season crashing on the couch at Heller's apartment.

Having proven himself as a valuable special teams player, Joppru recently joined up with Heller to start renting a two-bedroom apartment on Seattle's Eastside.

Whether or not there is a better opportunity for playing time this year does not matter to Joppru.

"That shouldn't change anything in terms of how you work," he said. "You just have to keep working hard and see what happens. I like to play special teams, so I see it as anything else would be a bonus."

Koolaid Time
08-08-2007, 12:46 PM
How many seasons does he have to be signed without playing a down to set a record?

Apparently he played on Special Teams at Seattle last year

Runner
08-08-2007, 06:24 PM

I think he needs to be on the 53 man roster for three or four more games. IR'd/Pup'd players get credit for games missed.

He played some tight end last year. I also saw him make a tackle on a kick-off in the playoffs.

Edit: Oops - I should have finished the thread before posting. You provided much more detailed info.