PDA

View Full Version : Pitts down?

treygar
08-06-2007, 02:38 PM
How come no one has mentioned Pitts going down in practice this morning or is it buried in another thread.

I hate to say this but without him on the line I will not feel good at all.

I don't live in Houston so anyone hear anything on the local radio there?

gtexan02
08-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Where did you hear this? Man, if he misses any significant amount of time, we are in serious trouble.

I guess we'd have to go Weary Flannagan McKinney

Ouch! I hope its not true :(

TexansLucky13
08-06-2007, 02:40 PM
I haven't seen anything. I agree with you, though.... Pitts is my favorite lineman.

Vinny
08-06-2007, 02:41 PM
back spasms...nothing too bad I believe.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Kubiak said it was back spasms.

whiskeyrbl
On the other site they are saying it is just back spasms, lets hope so.

Brando

TexansLucky13
Texans | Pitts carted off during practice
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 11:56:13 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans OG Chester Pitts (back) was carted off the field during practice Monday, Aug. 6. Head coach Gary Kubiak said Pitts was experiencing back spasms and is listed as day-to-day.

Via KFFL

gtexan02
08-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Oh great, I guess mcgrady gave them to Pitts now.

Texan_Bill
08-06-2007, 02:50 PM
At least McGrady knows a doctor in Waco that he can recommend.. Chester, if ya need a ride, I'm sure we can find some volunteers.

ObsiWan
08-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Well those of you who wanted Studdard to get a shot to start, this may be it.

:o(

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2007, 03:01 PM
I thought no one wanted to talk about it.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3464

Go over to the main site and go to the Practice Quotes Day 10 and there's a whole list of guys that are hurting today.

Pitts, JJones, Bulman, Bethel Johnson, Diles, Weary.

gtexan02
08-06-2007, 03:03 PM
TO just got an MRI for the smae problem

gtexan02
08-06-2007, 03:09 PM
I just read the practice quotes----It does not sound good.

You usually aren't carted off for back spasms. That sounds awfully serious. Also, there were about 3 or 4 questions regarding possible back ups and how it is to lose a starter. Not good at all.

Especially since HOdgon was the first name mentioned as backup for Pitts (vomits in mouth)

TexansLucky13
08-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Especially since HOdgon was the first name mentioned as backup for Pitts (vomits in mouth)

Whats wrong with Hodgdon? I think he looks decent, at worst.

Koolaid Time
08-06-2007, 03:18 PM
TO just got an MRI for the smae problem

Cramps do happen.. and this heat just makes it worse.

In regard to Owens...Remember TO at training camp last year? Mr. Stationary Bike?

It's the middle of August and HOT. TO would go get a MRI on a case of suspected "Erectile Dysfunction" if it meant he could skip a practice.

gtexan02
08-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Just remembering his center play from last year I guess. I haven't seen him at all this year, so I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions.

He looked small to me, and neve rplayed with the authority I'd seen out of good centers.

I only assume that Guard is even more demanding than center physically speaking, so was nervous for that reason

HJam72
08-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Hodgedon was descent as a backup Center a few years ago. Then, last year he looked really bad to a lot of us at Center when he played it. A lot of people say he just doesn't have enough "junk in the trunk" and strength to really be good.

If he replaces Pitts, that is a huge drop-off, even if you still find him descent.

I about freaked when I first saw that Fred Weary got rolled up in the same practice, but it sounds like he's OK. That would've been our two best O-Linemen down in one practice. :gun:

PapaL
08-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Heck I got back spasms reading the title.

I wouldn't put too much into being carted off. A guy that big with back spasms probably shouldn't be walking much. Could be a pinch nerve or cramp. Better safe than sorry.

Vinny
08-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Whats wrong with Hodgdon? I think he looks decent, at worst.I don't think he makes the final roster myself.

gtexan02
08-06-2007, 03:22 PM
what does "rolledup" mean?

HJam72
08-06-2007, 03:25 PM

I think it means somebody fell on the back of his leg, putting their weight into the back of his knee (general description). It's a good way to have a bad knee injury, but it doesn't mean you actually have an injury from it.

Texan_Bill
08-06-2007, 03:27 PM

Worse case scenario:

See LT "rolling up" Joe Theeeeeesman's leg.

Vinny
08-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Worse case scenario:

or Pacman rolling one up

HJam72
08-06-2007, 03:38 PM
or Pacman rolling one up

You can see that anytime. :)

Koolaid Time
08-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Worse case scenario:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGbmctX9WBQ&mode=related&search=

HERE IT IS........

Runner
08-06-2007, 04:39 PM
How come no one has mentioned Pitts going down in practice this morning or is it buried in another thread.

I hate to say this but without him on the line I will not feel good at all.

Where did you hear this? Man, if he misses any significant amount of time, we are in serious trouble.

I guess we'd have to go Weary Flannagan McKinney

Ouch! I hope its not true :(

On the other site they are saying it is just back spasms, lets hope so.

I thought no one wanted to talk about it.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3464

Go over to the main site and go to the Practice Quotes Day 10 and there's a whole list of guys that are hurting today.

Pitts, JJones, Bulman, Bethel Johnson, Diles, Weary.

I just read the practice quotes----It does not sound good.

You usually aren't carted off for back spasms. That sounds awfully serious. Also, there were about 3 or 4 questions regarding possible back ups and how it is to lose a starter. Not good at all.

Heck I got back spasms reading the title.

Not to worry everyone. We have great depth on the o-line, or so I've heard.

Runner
08-06-2007, 04:44 PM
I don't think he makes the final roster myself.

Me either.

I think there will also be a number of additional cuts on the o-line that won't be very popular here. There are too many players vying for too few spots - some players with well liked "potential" will probably be gone.

Carr Bombed
08-06-2007, 04:45 PM
I just went through a bad spell of back spasms (like Tmac, I suffer from chronic back spasms..... I've got some serious flat feet.) I couldn't get off my couch for 2 days and it took a full week to get over. I'm not surprised Pitts had to be carted off. When my back locked up I looked like that old man in that lazer level commercial. I'm only 24, I think after this last spell which was the worst of my life, I'm finally going to see a doctor (it scared the hell outta me, thought I slipped a disc or something) anyways..........get well soon Pitts and just stay off your feet.

MarioWrecksIt
08-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Back spasms is quite possibly the worst injury when it comes to Houston Pro sports fans (obviously in regards to T-Mac) but hopefully its not as serious as McGradys were there is still a lot of time left before the first game so dont consider him an IR player just yet. Weary is fine rolling an ankle sucks but he's gonna be just fine. On a lighter note Mario made a great play I read he blew up Lundy in the backfield after he took just one step so hopefully we can see pletny of that this year.

BigTimeTexanFan
08-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Pitts is our Iron Man, do you think he is going to let something like this keep him from playing on a team that looks to be our best in franchise history? I'm not worried.

aj.
08-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Chester had an MRI this afternoon. I guess we'll know more later. My advice: watch Berman tonight.

I didnt see Hodgdon making the 53 fwiw.

Malloy
08-07-2007, 04:08 AM
Oh Crap, not MY 69!!

gtexan02
08-07-2007, 06:46 AM
Any news?

Koolaid Time
08-07-2007, 08:29 AM
Any news?

No MRI yet for Pitts

The Texans are still waiting tonight for the results of an MRI on injured guard Chester Pitts, who has a back injury.

He is expected to miss one preseason game. He was carted off the field after he was hurt earlier today.

Pitts, a second-round pick in 2002, is the Texans' iron man. He's never missed a regular-season start, and he won't with this back injury, either. The MRI showed a herniated disk that will sideline him for a week or so.

"Chester feels a little better," coach Gary Kubiak said.

Although the coaches didn't say it Monday, Pitts won't play against the Bears on Sunday. There are a few players who could play in his place: Drew Hodgdon, Mike Brisiel or rookie Kasey Studdard, the sixth-round pick from Texas.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsupdate/archives/2007/08/mondays_updates.html

gtexan02
08-07-2007, 08:36 AM
No MRI yet for Pitts

The Texans are still waiting tonight for the results of an MRI on injured guard Chester Pitts, who has a back injury.

He is expected to miss one preseason game. He was carted off the field after he was hurt earlier today.

Pitts, a second-round pick in 2002, is the Texans' iron man. He's never missed a regular-season start, and he won't with this back injury, either. The MRI showed a herniated disk that will sideline him for a week or so.

"Chester feels a little better," coach Gary Kubiak said.

Although the coaches didn't say it Monday, Pitts won't play against the Bears on Sunday. There are a few players who could play in his place: Drew Hodgdon, Mike Brisiel or rookie Kasey Studdard, the sixth-round pick from Texas.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsupdate/archives/2007/08/mondays_updates.html

How can you have "The Texans are still waiting tonight on the results of an MRI" and then have "The MRI results showed" in the same paragraph?

Herniated disk sounds pretty bad to me. My dad had one and had to have surgery on it, and has never recovered to his pre back problem days

real
08-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Heat taking a toll

The heat is starting to slow down a number of players. Rookie wide receiver Jacoby Jones had to leave practice early Monday morning, as did receiver Bethel Johnson.

Tim Bulman had back spasms, and rookie Zac Diles had a little groin strain. Fred Weary got hurt in the morning practice but didn't want to rest.
"Fred was back out in the afternoon; somehow I knew he would be," coach Gary Kubiak said. "That's Fred. He's ready to go. Other than that, we've got a bunch of little nicks. I held DeMeco (Ryans) (Monday) afternoon; (his) ankle is bothering him a little bit."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5032357.html

HOU-TEX
08-07-2007, 09:58 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5032357.html

D-Ryans is a new one to me. I'm sure they'll all be fine.

Is it just me or is anybody else getting tired of hearing the word "nicks"? :)

:specnatz: Spec has his own smiley now. Kind of weird, but ok.

Matt
08-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Whats wrong with Hodgdon? I think he looks decent, at worst.

Those crazy kids... using "bad" when they mean "good" and "decent" when they mean "craptacular."

Matt
08-07-2007, 10:07 AM
You usually aren't carted off for back spasms. That sounds awfully serious.

Depends on the location in the back and the severity. I've had them so bad that I couldn't stand, let alone walk myself to a locker room.

jdog
08-07-2007, 10:41 AM
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/herniated-disk/HD99999

"Most people with a herniated lumbar disk — estimates range from 80 percent to more than 90 percent — improve and return to normal activities without aggressive treatment. Improvement generally happens within a month or two."

"Finally, if you try nonsurgical treatment but don't experience improvement after a period of time, you may need to consider surgery more seriously. Experts don't agree on a specific time frame for starting surgery, but many suggest waiting at least six to 12 weeks after the onset of pain..."

"When it's time to decide between staying with nonsurgical options or moving on to surgical options, keep these points in mind:"
ProsConsIt's less invasive than surgery.It may take longer to improve, and you can't put an exact date on when the pain will stop.You can try it for a while and still opt for surgery.It'll probably require a lifestyle change.It's able to reduce irritation of disk and nerve in many cases.Pain medications may have unwanted side effects.You'll avoid the known risks of surgery.Waiting too long before deciding on surgery may make the operation less successful. You may also develop signs of deconditioning syndrome, such as loss of strength and mobility in your spine.It allows your body's own natural healing process to work.

"Before deciding whether to undergo surgery, consider the following points:"
ProsConsIt can relieve pressure on spinal nerves, alleviating pain and improving function.Surgery isn't a sure cure. You still may have pain, especially back pain. Perhaps the disk wasn't the only cause of your problem, or it may be that the nerve was compressed for too long or too severely.It has the potential to reduce pain faster than nonsurgical means. Your leg pain may be gone by the time you awaken from surgery.Possible complications include a small risk of bleeding, risks associated with anesthesia, infection, injury to the nerves, leakage of spinal fluid and scarring.It may offer a better chance for improvement of nerve irritation.Surgery is more effective at relieving leg pain than back pain.It's a relatively common procedure, and results usually are good.You may need additional surgery in the future. With every subsequent operation after the first, the chances of a good result decrease. Long-term outcomes are often similar after less invasive treatments.

"Regardless of which treatment you pick, in the long run your results may be about the same. In fact, many herniated disks eventually shrink and cause no problems, even without surgical intervention."

"Remember that whichever choice you make, you have to work for your recovery, and your back may never be as good as new. In fact, if you don't take care of the injured area and rebuild its strength, you may continue to have problems with it in the future.
Though it may seem that it was just an unlucky twist that caused your herniated disk, in many cases the problem developed over months and years and was just waiting for a small event to trigger the rupture. It's important that you make proper body mechanics and your back rehabilitation a priority to avoid going through this again."

gtexan02
08-07-2007, 10:46 AM
oh no

Texans Horror
08-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Hmmm...Kasey Studdard is listed as the number 2 on the Texans depth chart. This could be good news for all the Longhorns fans out there.

On the other hand, Kubes has prided himself on selecting swingmen. I'd like to make these two suggestions:

LT - Winston, LG - Salaam, RT - Black

LG - Weary, RG - McKinney

real
08-07-2007, 12:29 PM

I really doubt that'll happen...

Spike
08-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Looks like it is just a sprain...

“The news is good. Of course you’re concerned of what happened, and you’re hoping for the best and waiting. Bottom line is Chester sprained his lower back, and that’s probably about the best news we could get. We feel he’s going to be fine, he’s day to day. Listening to Kevin (Bastin), we’re probably talking about a week hopefully, but we’re going to get Chester ready to play, and do what’s right for him, but it’s going to be a day-to-day situation. I’ll let you know, he’s doing much better. He was up and walking around yesterday and in the meetings last night, he was his normal self. We were fortunate there, very fortunate.”

aj.
08-07-2007, 12:31 PM
I would imagine McKinney starts at LG Saturday night. Hodgdon, Brisiel and Studdard will probably all get work, especially in the second half.

Fiddy
08-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Looks like it is just a sprain...

“The news is good. Of course you’re concerned of what happened, and you’re hoping for the best and waiting. Bottom line is Chester sprained his lower back, and that’s probably about the best news we could get. We feel he’s going to be fine, he’s day to day. Listening to Kevin (Bastin), we’re probably talking about a week hopefully, but we’re going to get Chester ready to play, and do what’s right for him, but it’s going to be a day-to-day situation. I’ll let you know, he’s doing much better. He was up and walking around yesterday and in the meetings last night, he was his normal self. We were fortunate there, very fortunate.” Source please???

TexanAddict
08-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Source please???

From Kubiak:

Camp Quotes (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3468)

Matt
08-07-2007, 12:56 PM

I can't see any way Kubes has Winston, Weary, Salaam, and Black all playing different positions than what they are used to. Also, you probably need a Center. Even more to the point, Black is most likely going to suck.

False Start
08-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Good news on Pitts . We need him in there .

badboy
08-07-2007, 01:42 PM
I would imagine McKinney starts at LG Saturday night. Hodgdon, Brisiel and Studdard will probably all get work, especially in the second half.
While not an all pro, McKinney can be reliable at both guards and center. I'd like the new guys to get some game time before the season starts.

gtexan02
08-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Keep your fingers crossed that Pitts is back to strength in time for the regular season. He is probably the best OL we have

Texans Horror
08-07-2007, 03:29 PM
I can't see any way Kubes has Winston, Weary, Salaam, and Black all playing different positions than what they are used to. Also, you probably need a Center. Even more to the point, Black is most likely going to suck.

The center would be Flanagan in both cases, because I think he's still the center of choice. The Texans (especially Kubiak) have said time and again that the big plus on the team is the number of swing men. So I am playing with some swing options rather than replace the player with a rookie. It seems like the system is built to swing guys rather than replace.

Also, those were two options. I don't see any option that has more than 3 players moving around, though I'd be interested to see them.

I'm assuming the original starting line is the same as the depth chart:

LT - Salaam, LG - Pitts, C - Flanagan, RG - Weary, RT - Winston

Even more to the point, Black is most likely going to suck.

Are you implying that I-65 might be faulty? :shades:

real
08-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Are you implying that I-65 might be faulty? :shades:

I don't understand this mindset...

Unless ofcourse Kansas City fans are your ultimate source for player scouting...

It's not unusual for guys to catch heat from fans of one city and then go to another city and play fairly well..

Look at Salaam...Blasted in Jacksontown and comes here and plays fairly well....Jabar Gaffney...

Sure Black probably had some rough moments while in KC, but I'd rather see a guy with my own eyes in our system before assuming he'll be a disaster...but then again--everyone is entitled to an opinion...

:d:

Runner
08-07-2007, 04:38 PM

Unless ofcourse Kansas City fans are your ultimate source for player scouting...

I watched Black with the Chiefs when I could. I didn't think he looked very good. He gave up more sacks than our maligned left tackles over the years and he was surrounded by better players and NOT protecting David Carr. The Chiefs need lineman and they didn't try very hard to keep him.

I don't know that the Texans have proven that they have a system that makes lineman better yet.

Worrying about Black playing a lot is certainly a valid opinion; there is evidence to support that viewpoint. I hope he isn't forced into service.

The Pencil Neck
08-07-2007, 06:24 PM

It's not unusual for guys to catch heat from fans of one city and then go to another city and play fairly well..

Look at Salaam...Blasted in Jacksontown and comes here and plays fairly well....Jabar Gaffney...

Sure Black probably had some rough moments while in KC, but I'd rather see a guy with my own eyes in our system before assuming he'll be a disaster...but then again--everyone is entitled to an opinion...

:d:

I watched a couple of Chefs games on NFL replay after we picked him up. In one game, he looked fine. I didn't see any problems. But in the game against the Colts, Freeney was beating him like a snare drum. If he fits in our system and performs well, great. But I'm not holding my breath for that after watching those games.

drewmar74
08-07-2007, 08:41 PM
But in the game against the Colts, Freeney was beating him like a snare drum. If he fits in our system and performs well, great. But I'm not holding my breath for that after watching those games.

I have to agree. I watched the replay of the Chefs / Colts playoff game on NFL Network. I had high hopes for Black until I saw Freeney absolutely abusing him in that game. I actually turned it off because it was a let down.

Maybe he was hurt... or had the flu.... or diarrhea.....

I guess that the lack of press, good or bad, regarding Black at TC means that he's basically shaken out to be depth (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

rickyb
08-07-2007, 10:13 PM
I watched a couple of Chefs games on NFL replay after we picked him up. In one game, he looked fine. I didn't see any problems. But in the game against the Colts, Freeney was beating him like a snare drum. If he fits in our system and performs well, great. But I'm not holding my breath for that after watching those games.

Remove Black.
Insert almost any other OLT name.
Result =? same:: Freeney beats him like snare drum.

We are talking about Freeney, after all.

I'm just saying...

Runner
08-08-2007, 11:10 PM
OK, I admit it. Sometimes I can't keep Kubiak's stories straight. I've been reading what a great leader Schaub is for so long, I feel like I'm in 1984. (The novel, not the year).

Offensive leader needed

Coach Gary Kubiak is still looking for a vocal leader to really take charge on the offensive side of the ball and complement Andre Johnson.

"We're in camp, and we're going to have some bad things happen," Kubiak said. "I see the groups go correct them and come back the next period and play better. I think we're growing up from that standpoint.

"I think on the offensive side of the ball we're still looking for that big leader to step up. Andre is a quiet guy. He leads by how he plays, but somebody's got to take control of the group when things are kind of in a lull."

I think key words are important:

Maybe Schaub is not a VOCAL leader. Leadership can come in many different forms. Some by example, and others by firing people up.

Honestly, though, I don't think a leader truly emerges until it's trial by fire. It'll take good, consistent regular season performances to produce anyone for that role, IMO.

I've never seen a 'leader' on a team that sucks on the field. There is no respect, and right now, Schaub is unproven and simply cannot fulfill that role without first proving himself worthy.

"Intangibles", "mentors", and "leadership" is being overblown to the point of comedy at this point. We've never had a true leader on this team in five seasons. And if we did, he was probably released the next year.

While I agree this stuff is overblown, it is also overblown by our coaches so I've been thinking about it. I decided to segue this discussion to this thread.

Why isn't Chester Pitts ever mentioned as a leader? He is well liked by the fans, he's been called our best lineman, he's played almost every offensive down the Texans have snapped, the coach likes to talk about leadership and is looking for leaders. Schaub is discussed as well as Andre, yet no mention of Pitts that I've ever heard or seen referenced. Combine that with the mysterious breaking of his "played every snap" streak last year and it makes me wonder.

Shouldn't the team expect something more from him? He's a legitimate home grown Texans veteran now.

Anyone have an opinion?

jdog
08-08-2007, 11:18 PM
While I agree this stuff is overblown, it is also overblown by our coaches so I've been thinking about it. I decided to segue this discussion to this thread.

Why isn't Chester Pitts ever mentioned as a leader? He is well liked by the fans, he's been called our best lineman, he's played almost every offensive down the Texans have snapped, the coach likes to talk about leadership and is looking for leaders. Schaub is discussed as well as Andre, yet no mention of Pitts that I've ever heard or seen referenced. Combine that with the mysterious breaking of his "played every snap" streak last year and it makes me wonder.

Shouldn't the team expect something more from him? He's a legitimate home grown Texans veteran now.

Anyone have an opinion?

I hate to say it, but Chester doesn't seem to get enough love. Studdard seems to be the targeted Left Guard based on what I've read in practice quotes and the updated depth chart.

Texans_Chick
08-08-2007, 11:28 PM

Anyone have an opinion?

Interesting. That is a good point. What makes a leader is sort of a foofoo topic, absolutely important, and a know it when you see it kinda thing. I have no freaking idea why Pitts isn't considered a leader, and anything I could come up with would be talking out of my bum. But with that disclaimer, here goes...

The only thing I can think of is that the Texans have old guys and young guys on the offensive side of the ball. The young guys defer to the old guys, and the old guys are either not big talkers, they aren't that great, and/or feel too new to tell folks what to do. A lot of newness on the offensive side of the ball, lots of new faces. Who is the proven bad ass who is a talker? Nobody. Hard to say follow me into battle to a bunch of new faces or when you suck.

I also think that Sherman is a little scary to the players. You could see that some in that video. Sometimes it is hard to be a leader when one of the coaches is a a scary perfectionist who can sit you.

Winston and McKinney aren't afraid to say what they mean, and look what it did for them in 2006. But then again, Winston of course is young and green, and McKinney is well, where he is in his career.

Remember, all my blathering is especially blathery on this subject and is completely nattering conjecture and speculation of the rankest sort.:shades:

jdog
08-08-2007, 11:40 PM
I think with all the new faces it should be a leader free for all right now. It's early on but if there are natural leaders on the offense regardless of being new or old or whatever, they should be showing themselves. As long you start and are on that field and the team needs leadership because there's a void there, and you're a leader, you should be displaying it. (I know the grammar was horrible there but I can't help it atm)

Also, as far as Sherman, think of Tom Brady. He leads the offense with Bill "the founder of modern perfectionism". If someone is afraid to lead because of a potential power struggle with a coach, they are either confused or there is something wrong with our coaches. Also, if they're unable to lead because a coach micromanages to that extent where they really feel they have no say, once again we have a problem with our coaches. I'm guessing if they do feel this way, they're wrong and the coaches would have no problem with it. Also, if they're a natural leader AND a competitor, they're going to find a way to get it done.

I would think that McKinney would be a leader, but they make him sit on the second team because of his versatility as he pointed out in the video today. I thought it was an interesting off hand comment that he made about it.

I wonder if some people still haven't taken to Kubiak or he hasn't taken to them. It happens in the office when there's new management. The new manager wants to know who's giving allegiance, and some people don't make it clear or simply don't offer it. This is my theory from my bum.

Texans_Chick
08-08-2007, 11:49 PM
Also, as far as Sherman, think of Tom Brady. He leads the offense with Bill "the founder of modern perfectionism". If someone is afraid to lead because of a potential power struggle with a coach, they are either confused or there is something wrong with our coaches. Also, if they're unable to lead because a coach micromanages to that extent where they really feel they have no say, once again we have a problem with our coaches.

GB fans will say that Sherman had a problem identifying talent and micromanaging his team. That the team was so afraid of making mistakes and fines that it was hard to play for him.

His track record at GB is more better than not, and whether the fan perspective reflects reality is a question. You also get the sense sometimes that Sherman has learned from his experiences even though he doesn't say that directly.

Back to the topic. Leadership evolves. It is hard to become a leader because you need some level of credibility and a lot of the team doesn't have that or doesn't have leadership ability.

jdog
08-08-2007, 11:57 PM
What do you think about McKinney being a possible leader? He has the experience. I think they expected Flanagan to be a leader, but I'm not sensing the charisma from him like I do from McKinney.

As far as Pitts, I get the impression that he is quiet. I have no basis for this opinion other than he has done nothing to form a basis for me otherwise through interviews or even indirectly from comments by other players. I need to listen to Benton's interview again because he mentions the personalities of a lot of the guys, but for some reason I don't remember him mentioning Pitts.

I think Winston is very smart, well spoken, charismatic, and a potential leader at some point. He actually is new as you say, but I think with the team in a rebirth now and lacking leadership...why not? He's not small. He's not dumb. No one else wants the job. At least if someone tried, maybe someone else would try as well. Someone who thinks they'd be better suited to the job.

jdog
08-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Holy Crap, you're back!

We have your avatar of the girl pig ready and waiting!!!!

Ha ha...awesome, I love that picture.

CloakNNNdagger
08-09-2007, 06:52 AM
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/herniated-disk/HD99999

"Most people with a herniated lumbar disk — estimates range from 80 percent to more than 90 percent — improve and return to normal activities without aggressive treatment. Improvement generally happens within a month or two."

"Finally, if you try nonsurgical treatment but don't experience improvement after a period of time, you may need to consider surgery more seriously. Experts don't agree on a specific time frame for starting surgery, but many suggest waiting at least six to 12 weeks after the onset of pain..."

"When it's time to decide between staying with nonsurgical options or moving on to surgical options, keep these points in mind:"
ProsConsIt's less invasive than surgery.It may take longer to improve, and you can't put an exact date on when the pain will stop.You can try it for a while and still opt for surgery.It'll probably require a lifestyle change.It's able to reduce irritation of disk and nerve in many cases.Pain medications may have unwanted side effects.You'll avoid the known risks of surgery.Waiting too long before deciding on surgery may make the operation less successful. You may also develop signs of deconditioning syndrome, such as loss of strength and mobility in your spine.It allows your body's own natural healing process to work.

"Before deciding whether to undergo surgery, consider the following points:"
ProsConsIt can relieve pressure on spinal nerves, alleviating pain and improving function.Surgery isn't a sure cure. You still may have pain, especially back pain. Perhaps the disk wasn't the only cause of your problem, or it may be that the nerve was compressed for too long or too severely.It has the potential to reduce pain faster than nonsurgical means. Your leg pain may be gone by the time you awaken from surgery.Possible complications include a small risk of bleeding, risks associated with anesthesia, infection, injury to the nerves, leakage of spinal fluid and scarring.It may offer a better chance for improvement of nerve irritation.Surgery is more effective at relieving leg pain than back pain.It's a relatively common procedure, and results usually are good.You may need additional surgery in the future. With every subsequent operation after the first, the chances of a good result decrease. Long-term outcomes are often similar after less invasive treatments.

"Regardless of which treatment you pick, in the long run your results may be about the same. In fact, many herniated disks eventually shrink and cause no problems, even without surgical intervention."

"Remember that whichever choice you make, you have to work for your recovery, and your back may never be as good as new. In fact, if you don't take care of the injured area and rebuild its strength, you may continue to have problems with it in the future.
Though it may seem that it was just an unlucky twist that caused your herniated disk, in many cases the problem developed over months and years and was just waiting for a small event to trigger the rupture. It's important that you make proper body mechanics and your back rehabilitation a priority to avoid going through this again."

The problem with the above algorithm and stated prognosis is that this relates to the "average joe"........and it depends on not only appropriate therapy, but also extended rest..........especially from repeated trauma...........not something very likely as an NFL guard.

I'm still confounded by the contradictory reports of MRI/no MRI report, Back strain/herniated disc...........these are cut and dry elements...............I hope that these reports are not just an extension of the Texans history of hopeful, unrealistic misinformation as was coming out about Tony Bosseli, Dominic Davis, etc...........We'll just have to wait and see

HOU-TEX
08-09-2007, 09:06 AM
The problem with the above algorithm and stated prognosis is that this relates to the "average joe"........and it depends on not only appropriate therapy, but also extended rest..........especially from repeated trauma...........not something very likely as an NFL guard.

I'm still confounded by the contradictory reports of MRI/no MRI report, Back strain/herniated disc...........these are cut and dry elements...............I hope that these reports are not just an extension of the Texans history of hopeful, unrealistic misinformation as was coming out about Tony Bosseli, Dominic Davis, etc...........We'll just have to wait and see

Well, they did say he was up and walking the next day and acting like his normal self. I don't think a herniated disc would allow this, would it?

BTW, nice to have you back over here on the normal board.:)

CloakNNNdagger
08-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Well, they did say he was up and walking the next day and acting like his normal self. I don't think a herniated disc would allow this, would it?

BTW, nice to have you back over here on the normal board.:)

Thanks, good to be here.

Disc herniations are funny and depend on their extent. Some can first present with intermittent symptoms. Muscle spasms secondary to the herniation can then put additional stress on the herniated disc, and it can become chronic and progressive vicious cycle. Others present with muscle spasms which when controlled can allow the disc problem to resolve.......until another trauma. The symptoms are usually caused by inflammation of the spinal nerve roots that are compressed and irritated by the bulging disc. When treated conservatively with stretching, rest, compresses and possibly steroids, the inflammation can resolve. As long as there is no true neurologic deficit present, the disc can shrink , the inflammation resolve........and the symptoms resolve with it. Repeat trauma is the enemy.

Texans_Chick
08-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks, good to be here.

Disc herniations are funny and depend on their extent. Some can first present with intermittent symptoms. Muscle spasms secondary to the herniation can then put additional stress on the herniated disc, and it can become chronic and progressive vicious cycle. Others present with muscle spasms which when controlled can allow the disc problem to resolve.......until another trauma. The symptoms are usually caused by inflammation of the spinal nerve roots that are compressed and irritated by the bulging disc. When treated conservatively with stretching, rest, compresses and possibly steroids, the inflammation can resolve. As long as there is no true neurologic deficit present, the disc can shrink , the inflammation resolve........and the symptoms resolve with it. Repeat trauma is the enemy.

CNNNd, nice to see ya.

I thought I remember hearing some sort of study that said some high percentage of the population are walking around with herniated disks, and a lot of them wouldn't know it unless they had an MRI done.

IIRC, it was some fluff study that defense attorneys loved to trot out when facing auto accident cases.

badboy
08-09-2007, 04:18 PM
IMO a leader has to be a starter or a back up that plays a lot and the other players listen to. He must be vocal or lead by example that makes others want to follow his lead.

McKinney- vocal. Has been around 10 years. Will play a lot. I can see him slapping another guy on the butt and saying good job or knocking him on his butt and saying get it right.

AJ- non vocal but players like and respect him. I can see him doing the pat on the butt or showing displeasure by a look or shake of his head. Not sure he is willing to, but Kubes should ask him

Schaub- this should be the guy. He emailed everybody after signing and earned respect. He does not have to be great to be a leader. He also has the ear of the owner, coach and OC and players should be aware of that. That alone should get players to pay attention to him.

CloakNNNdagger
08-09-2007, 05:34 PM
CNNNd, nice to see ya.

I thought I remember hearing some sort of study that said some high percentage of the population are walking around with herniated disks, and a lot of them wouldn't know it unless they had an MRI done.

IIRC, it was some fluff study that defense attorneys loved to trot out when facing auto accident cases.

The real numbers have been "readjusted" over time with updated studies. If your interested, this SUMMARY (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3987/is_200409/ai_n9440673) should satisfy your curiosity.

Texans Horror
08-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Chester Pitts = Prima Donna

So I've heard from other players/contacts.

Wolf
08-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Texans | Pitts recovering fast
Fri, 10 Aug 2007 13:27:12 -0700

John McClain and Anna-Megan Raley, of the Houston Chronicle, report Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said he believes OG Chester Pitts (back) could play if a regular-season game was scheduled this weekend, but he does not want to rush Pitts back.

http://www.kffl.com/team/18/NFL

Runner
08-17-2007, 05:59 PM
I bet it grated on Pitts that he couldn't boast "snaps" instead of "games".

Pitts was asked if he could play Saturday if it were a regular-season game.

"How many regular-season games have I missed?" the six-year veteran replied. "Zero."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5058241.html

Vinny
08-17-2007, 06:03 PM

not from what I have heard about Chester...curious about how he got this tag under all gagillion Texans fans noses without any of us being aware of this. I don't know him personally so I can't say nuttin for sure...but I haven't heard this anywhere and I'm digging all the time on the guys.

Carr Bombed
08-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Wow, how the hell is Chester Pitts a prima donna, when he's 1 of only 7 original texans and has only been out of like 3 or 4 plays in 80 total games. Its not like he shows up to training camp and jogs on a exercise bike every year, if he was a prima donna he'd be out the door along time ago.

Double Barrel
08-17-2007, 06:17 PM
I'd like a source on CP being a "prima-donna". This is the first that I've heard of it, because he's always been shown in a positive light with regards to his attitude and work ethic.

Runner
08-17-2007, 06:26 PM
... because he's always been shown in a positive light with regards to his attitude and work ethic.

I've found it odd that we've never heard praise of Pitts' work ethic and attitude from Kubiak. The coach rarely seems to talk about him at all - unless I'm drawing a blank here.

It would seem he'd be a natural team leader with his abilities, playing streak, etc. Maybe the intangibles are missing in Chester?

Malloy
08-17-2007, 06:35 PM

HUH??!

Back that statement up PLEASE!!

Hardworking, non-complaning player = Primadonna?

Someone needs a de-tox...

Double Barrel
08-17-2007, 06:41 PM
I've found it odd that we've never heard praise of Pitts' work ethic and attitude from Kubiak. The coach rarely seems to talk about him at all - unless I'm drawing a blank here.

It would seem he'd be a natural team leader with his abilities, playing streak, etc. Maybe the intangibles are missing in Chester?

There's not a whole lot out there from Kubiak about CP. I did find the following interesting from last August (2006) / Source (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4127520.html):

"Honestly, I don't really care where I play," Pitts said. "Wherever I play the best and can help the team the most is where I should play."

This quote indicates to me that he's a team player, which is not the M.O. for a prima-donna.

"That says a lot because you look at guys like him...who have been here from the start busting their tails," coach Gary Kubiak said. "When you go through something like last year, when a player keeps battling, I think it says a lot about what he stands for."

---------------------

Kubiak and assistant head coach Mike Sherman, who oversees the offensive line, are also keeping eyes on Pitts' progress. Kubiak said the Texans have been happy with Pitts' performance at left guard, but "he has a long way to go."

"He has to play well for us," Kubiak said. "He's been a guy that's been here since day one for this organization. I think people expect a lot of him; I know I expect a lot out of him. There's another level as a player for Chester to reach that's going to help this team. He's going to have to go find it this year."

While it's not a ringing endorsement, it's not overly critical, either.

Runner
08-17-2007, 06:44 PM
While it's not a ringing endorsement, it's not overly critical, either.

True statement.

There's another level as a player for Chester to reach that's going to help this team.

Maybe the next level isn't individual play but something more? That's where I'd place my bet if I had to.

Specnatz
08-17-2007, 07:24 PM

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/Specnatz/sign-crap.gif

:specnatz:

Texans Horror
08-17-2007, 07:25 PM
HUH??!

Back that statement up PLEASE!!

Hardworking, non-complaning player = Primadonna?

Someone needs a de-tox...

Just an opinion I've heard. Take it for what you want or at the merit you want. I've been on these boards a while. I won't say "players/teammates/coaches/whoever think this" if I haven't a good reason to.

DBCooper
08-17-2007, 08:26 PM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/Specnatz/sign-crap.gif

:specnatz:

Specnatz, put your little man away.

lol