PDA

View Full Version : The NFL season has begun / Hall of Fame

Second Honeymoon
08-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks Comcast for bringing the cable people NFLN in Houston. The induction ceremonies were just off the chart for any Texas football fan. You had Skeletor err Jerry Jones spewing Cowboy propoganda introducing Michael Irvin and then Irvin proceeding to give probably the greatest unprepared speech I have ever heard a guy give. Then you had Munchak introducing Houston Oiler great Bruce Matthews. His speech was just great and him lobbying for his brother to get in the HOF was just awesome. Matthews pointing out that USC had the most HOF members was a nice touch too. He also thanked Houston fans for all their love and didn't try and sugarcoat his disappointment for leaving Houston. He gave the Titans fans love, but I could tell he was trying to give Houston its due. The 3rd guy he mentioned in his speech was John McClain and he thanked him for helping him get in the HOF (as if he needed any help). I thought that was quite telling that Matthews touted JM as one of the most knowledgeable NFL writers in the world.

I love Irvin and Matthews. Irvin has had his share of problems but the guy is a great guy. Flawed but honest and he wears his heart on his sleeve. Matthews was always the gentle giant and class exuded from him on that podium.

Did anyone else check this out? I am wondering what some of yall thought about the HOF and the Hall Of Fame Game (in progress).

it is just great that i have real NFL football on my screen, it may still be preseason but the wait is over. NFL 07 HAS ARRIVED.

Hervoyel
08-05-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm not thanking Comcast for jack s**t. I had Dish network and NFLN was part of the basic package. Now I have Comcast and it's part of an extra-cost sports package that I don't want (apart from NFLN) and will not pay for. I'm not seeing at least a portion of the HOF game for the first time in my adult life thanks to greedy bastards at Comcast.

I'll be on the phone tomorrow giving them an ear full and talking to DirecTV or Dish Network if Comcast doesn't reconsider their position on this.

StarStruck
08-05-2007, 09:31 PM
I watched My Road To Canton--Michael Irvin, the Hall of Fame Ceremony, and now the HOF game. Michael Irvin's speech stirred me the most and brought me to tears even now --look up, get up, and never give up, next was Charlie Sanders--hi mom, Bruce Matthews--all that he said along with recognition to Mojo, Gene Hackerman's son, which must have been quite difficult to do in light of Gene's present condition, Thurman Thomas--the proposal, and Roger Wehrle--grandchildren embracing the moment.

At this time, the Saints are playing more like the Aints. Hopefully they will make it more interesting. But, welcome to the beginning of the football season.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-05-2007, 09:36 PM
You can watch the HOF game online for free as well as many other regular season games at http://myp2p.eu/index.htm.

aj.
08-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Marshall Faulk god love him needs to get over his RB25 love. Saying he looked 'really good' after those 2 carries for 8 yards was a bit of a stretch.

Collinsworth was one of the first mainstream analysts in my recollection to question Bush's inside running ability during a broadcast. Faulk even alluded to it when he praised Bush's rushing performance saying that it looks like RB is working on his inside game.

The Saints secondary looked pretty horrid in the first half.

These games don't mean much but I'm sure Payton isn't thrilled about the showing.

gtexan02
08-05-2007, 10:18 PM
My thoughts so far on the first bit of real NFL action (well, as close as we can get)

1, Pitts coach has changed, but their style hasn't. Good steady offense and a smash em up defense

2, Saints looked way off tonight. Brees going 1-6 is not a good sign

ObsiWan
08-05-2007, 10:45 PM
My thoughts so far on the first bit of real NFL action (well, as close as we can get)

1, Pitts coach has changed, but their style hasn't. Good steady offense and a smash em up defense

2, Saints looked way off tonight. Brees going 1-6 is not a good sign

I thought our secondary was suspect. New Orleans's DBs are worse than ours.

Also, with no Deuce on the field the Saints didn't have a real RB to make the Steelers respect their running game. They had to make do with Bush. He's not yet an NFL caliber RB. Collinsworth put up an interesting stat. Given all the hype about how Reggie Bush was this guaranteed HoF breakaway threat, Bush had ZERO runs over 20 yds last year.

Oh yeah, when they asked Thurman Thomas what he thought about Bush (whoever the interviewer was said that Thurman was "the first Reggie Bush-type back"), the first statement he made was, "Well, I'd like to see him carry the ball 25-30 carries a game like I did. Then I think Thurman realized he was dissin' a modern-day NFL darling, he kinda backed off and said all the standard things, "he's got great potential, he's got loads of talent, yada-yada-yada...

okay, that's my anti-Bush rant for tonight

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2007, 10:52 PM
I thought our secondary was suspect. New Orleans's DBs are worse than ours.

Also, with no Deuce on the field the Saints didn't have a real RB to make the Steelers respect their running game. They had to make do with Bush. He's not yet an NFL caliber RB. Collinsworth put up an interesting stat. Given all the hype about how Reggie Bush was this guaranteed HoF breakaway threat, Bush had ZERO runs over 20 yds last year.

Bush, 155 attempts, 0 runs over 20 yards.
Lundy, 124 attempts, 4 runs over 20 yards.

I'm just saying.

ObsiWan
08-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Hey Mecham is finally in the game.

I thought he was hurt or something. I guess not...

Oh wait, now he is. Number 22 on the Steelers, just said, "Welcome to the NFL brother Mecham" He's still down as they break to commercial.
:user:

kiwitexansfan
08-05-2007, 11:10 PM

I'm just saying.

Kudos to our OLine for that stat.

Hang on, that can't be right!?!?!?

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Kudos to our OLine for that stat.

Hang on, that can't be right!?!?!?

NFL.com. Check the stats. Lundy had 4 20+ yard rushes, Gado had 3. (Dayne had 0 and Taylor had 0.)

McAllister had 6. Bush had 0.

brakos82
08-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Signed, DirecTV customer :tease:

TexansLucky13
08-06-2007, 12:55 AM

I'm just saying.

http://philadelphia-eagles.net/playoffs/div-c.jpg

A list of stats and a photo, both making the same statement....

OWNED

Texan_Bill
08-06-2007, 08:32 AM
NFL.com. Check the stats. Lundy had 4 20+ yard rushes, Gado had 3. (Dayne had 0 and Taylor had 0.)

McAllister had 6. Bush had 0.

Also factor in Lundy and Gado (7) in the AFC and McAllister /Bush (6) Nancy Football Conference...

I'm just sayin'.....

jlam
08-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Rofl.

http://www.sallyminker.com/art/2-d/images/grapes-print.jpg

BigTimeTexanFan
08-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks Comcast for bringing the cable people NFLN in Houston. The induction ceremonies were just off the chart for any Texas football fan. You had Skeletor err Jerry Jones spewing Cowboy propoganda introducing Michael Irvin and then Irvin proceeding to give probably the greatest unprepared speech I have ever heard a guy give. Then you had Munchak introducing Houston Oiler great Bruce Matthews. His speech was just great and him lobbying for his brother to get in the HOF was just awesome. Matthews pointing out that USC had the most HOF members was a nice touch too. He also thanked Houston fans for all their love and didn't try and sugarcoat his disappointment for leaving Houston. He gave the Titans fans love, but I could tell he was trying to give Houston its due. The 3rd guy he mentioned in his speech was John McClain and he thanked him for helping him get in the HOF (as if he needed any help). I thought that was quite telling that Matthews touted JM as one of the most knowledgeable NFL writers in the world.

I love Irvin and Matthews. Irvin has had his share of problems but the guy is a great guy. Flawed but honest and he wears his heart on his sleeve. Matthews was always the gentle giant and class exuded from him on that podium.

Did anyone else check this out? I am wondering what some of yall thought about the HOF and the Hall Of Fame Game (in progress).

it is just great that i have real NFL football on my screen, it may still be preseason but the wait is over. NFL 07 HAS ARRIVED.

Before the ceremony began I was wondering to myself which University had produced the most HOF players. I just that that was kinda cool.
I have a question about Comcast though, if you just have the basic package, can you just add NFLN or is it a big package deal? I guess I could give them a call, but this seems easier.

nunusguy
08-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Collinsworth put up an interesting stat. Given all the hype about how Reggie Bush was this guaranteed HoF breakaway threat, Bush had ZERO runs over 20 yds last year.

And Collingsworth also bluntly said that Bush was a WR who had some rushing plays his rookie year. And those rushs averaged 3.6 yards.
He is just telling it like it is.
Another thing, the few plays Bush was in last night as the lone back instead of his normal position of being in the slot, the QB is left doing his best "dead man walking" impersonation because Bush wanted no part of picking up the blitz from what I could see - all he did was duck. Not a good thing against a blitzing D like the Steelers throw at you.

Hervoyel
08-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Rofl.

http://www.sallyminker.com/art/2-d/images/grapes-print.jpg

That's what it sounds like isn't it.

Except for the fact that the numbers don't lie you have a point. I maintain that Reggie Bush (who I wanted the Texans to select badly at the time) and his talents would be wasted here in Houston. The Texans approach to running the football is such that the one thing that makes Bush truly special is the same thing he'd be discouraged from doing here. Sherman and Kubiak want their backs to make a cut (preferably just one) and go up the field. This kind of running game is not without merit. It works for some backs (Ron Dayne did quite well in it as will Ahman Green I expect) but others would take a hit in their productivity doing this. Bush would be one of them I think.

TEXANS84
08-06-2007, 10:39 AM
I go up to my local bar to watch the game, and unfortunatley its right before the Lincoln Park concert so it is slammed. Everyone wants to hear the jukebox instead of the game, so I decided to leave and watch it at my house.

Already 30 minuites late for the game, I arrived home to a blank tv screen. I called Comcast and they apologized but recognized a problem in my area. No internet. No cable.

11:30 the cable came back on. Thanks Comcast.

Texan_Bill
08-06-2007, 10:43 AM
I can see Comcast is off to a blazing start in Houston.

DirecTv!!!

Mr teX
08-06-2007, 12:34 PM

Except for the fact that the numbers don't lie you have a point. I maintain that Reggie Bush (who I wanted the Texans to select badly at the time) and his talents would be wasted here in Houston. The Texans approach to running the football is such that the one thing that makes Bush truly special is the same thing he'd be discouraged from doing here. Sherman and Kubiak want their backs to make a cut (preferably just one) and go up the field. This kind of running game is not without merit. It works for some backs (Ron Dayne did quite well in it as will Ahman Green I expect) but others would take a hit in their productivity doing this. Bush would be one of them I think.

Good point, most don't look @ it that way, but We can't gather much from how much Bush may have improved on his running between the tackles off of 2 carries.

I wanted the kid here, but it does seem that if he can't cut all the way back & run around everyone, he can't run at all.

Specnatz
08-06-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm not thanking Comcast for jack s**t. I had Dish network and NFLN was part of the basic package. Now I have Comcast and it's part of an extra-cost sports package that I don't want (apart from NFLN) and will not pay for. I'm not seeing at least a portion of the HOF game for the first time in my adult life thanks to greedy bastards at Comcast.

I'll be on the phone tomorrow giving them an ear full and talking to DirecTV or Dish Network if Comcast doesn't reconsider their position on this.

Why are you blaming comcast, you should blame the NFL and the NFLNetwork, they are the real greedy bastards. They are the ones charging the cable company per box or receiver to carry the nfln to cable companies and to Dish.

At least you have a choice I do not, I cant get NFLN so I missed the whole damn thing. I have time warner and do not like DTV because I have enough sh*t in my life I have to sign contracts for, and I do not want or need one more in my life.

jlam
08-06-2007, 02:30 PM

No, the number generally don't outright lie. But, depending on how you choose to use them they don't always tell the whole truth either. I've never come here touting anyone as the next Barry Sanders or tried to rub anything in anyone's face, but I can't help but find it amusing how many (and not just here, it happens all over the place - including our board) look for any little thing to tear down a player or team because of what - of all entities - the media has built.

I fundamentally agree with you that Bush may not have been a good fit for Kubiak's running style. I also agree, as I have stated many times here on this board, that Reggie has some learning to do (which I think he has done and continues to do well). I do think he will be a great player in this league, but that's just me, and slightly beside the point.

It's the odd sense of satisfaction that people seem to take trying (largely in vain) to degrade something in order to prove a point that makes me chuckle and prompted the sour grapes post.

And as an aside, the staff, team, and fans were all surprisingly pleased with Bush's blitz pickups for an undersized rookie running back.

swtbound07
08-06-2007, 03:10 PM
No, the number generally don't outright lie. But, depending on how you choose to use them they don't always tell the whole truth either. I've never come here touting anyone as the next Barry Sanders or tried to rub anything in anyone's face, but I can't help but find it amusing how many (and not just here, it happens all over the place - including our board) look for any little thing to tear down a player or team because of what - of all entities - the media has built.

I fundamentally agree with you that Bush may not have been a good fit for Kubiak's running style. I also agree, as I have stated many times here on this board, that Reggie has some learning to do (which I think he has done and continues to do well). I do think he will be a great player in this league, but that's just me, and slightly beside the point.

It's the odd sense of satisfaction that people seem to take trying (largely in vain) to degrade something in order to prove a point that makes me chuckle and prompted the sour grapes post.

And as an aside, the staff, team, and fans were all surprisingly pleased with Bush's blitz pickups for an undersized rookie running back.

Don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining. Its not a vain attempt to tear him down. Its a factual presentation of the elephant in the room. Reggie Bush as a running back SUCKS. He's not wonderfull as a reciever either. but you have fun waiting on that first career 20+ yard carry.