PDA

View Full Version : Anthony McFarland torn ACL

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-05-2007, 07:33 PM
and is out for the season. Reported by Adam Shefter on NFL Network.

Kaiser Toro
08-05-2007, 07:36 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070805/SPORTS03/70805009

The Indianapolis Colts might have to mount their Super Bowl defense without a big part of their defense -- tackle Anthony McFarland.

According to multiple sources, McFarland has informed teammates and close friends he suffered a serious knee injury in a training camp practice Friday at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Terre Haute. It's believed he tore a patella tendon, which likely would be season-ending.
Neither McFarland nor his agent, Karl Bernard, could be reached for comment. The Colts also had no comment when contacted Sunday afternoon. Saturday, coach Tony Dungy said McFarland was one of several players who underwent a magnetic resonance imaging test in Indianapolis.

Dungy described the procedure as "precautionary," but the damage apparently was severe.

Losing McFarland, 29 and in his ninth season, would be a substantial blow to the Colts' defense. The unit was instrumental in the team capturing its first world championship in 36 years, but ranked last in the league against the run during the regular season.

Even with the 300-pound McFarland anchoring the middle of the defense, the Colts allowed 173 rushing yards per game and 5.3 yards per attempt.

McFarland's loss comes on the heels of the team terminating the contract of veteran defensive tackle Corey Simon. Ironically, McFarland's injury occurred almost a year to the day Simon suffered an injury to his right knee that required surgery and contributed to him missing the entire season.

The Colts acquired McFarland last October in a trade with Tampa Bay, sending the Bucs a second-round draft pick.

With McFarland out of the mix, the interior of the defensive line loses experience and bulk. Raheem Brock returns for his second season as a starter, but the depth behind him includes Darrell Reid, Dan Klecko, Quinn Pitcock and Keyunta Dawson. Reid and Klecko have appeared in a total of 62 regular-season games, but only four as starters. Pitcock was a third-round pick in the April draft who missed the first week of training camp with a leg injury while Dawson is a seventh-round draft pick.

Honoring Earl 34
08-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Corey we were just joking ...come back .

BigTimeTexanFan
08-06-2007, 09:25 AM
That Colts defense has really taking a blow. They lost Nick Harper and Cato June via free agnecy, Corey Simon (who didn't even play last year) and now McFarland. It was also reported that Bob Sanders is on the PUP list although he can still come off prior to the start of the season. With all these losses to an already suspect defense, Peyton is gonna have to have a Madden video game like season for them to stay on top.

But I do hope he has a speedy recovery and that he can continue to play in the future.

Brando
08-06-2007, 03:34 PM
wow, a few days ago I was lurking on coltfreaks.com (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455) and someone started a joke thread about McFarland broke his collarbone and was out for the season. Someone said to not post stuff like that because of karma. That thread has now been taken down.

wow

Booger Mcfarland OUT FOR SEASON...for REAL

Just heard on the NFL network that Booger McFarland has a torn ACL and is OUT FOR THE SEASON. I know there was a joke thread on here the other day, but this is the ABSOLUTE truth, unfortunately. This is a huge problem and a big blow to the defensive line

TexansLucky13
08-06-2007, 03:38 PM
All injuries are unfortunate, but I must admit that the Texan fan in me is looking forward to game 3 a little more now. Hopefully he can return healthy.

DallasNiner
08-06-2007, 05:34 PM
and is out for the season. Reported by Adam Shefter on NFL Network.

That sucks.

powerfuldragon
08-06-2007, 05:37 PM
That sucks.
whoa. what are you doing here?

DallasNiner
08-06-2007, 05:39 PM
whoa. what are you doing here?

LOL nice name. 49ers.com is down.

powerfuldragon
08-06-2007, 05:40 PM
LOL nice name. 49ers.com is down.

weak.

DallasNiner
08-06-2007, 05:42 PM
weak.

It's been down apparently for over 12 hours...I've been out.

powerfuldragon
08-06-2007, 05:50 PM
It's been down apparently for over 12 hours...I've been out.
jebus. and i thought sf was good at the internet what with the fake boobs valley and stuff being in such close proximity.

DallasNiner
08-06-2007, 05:51 PM
jebus. and i thought sf was good at the internet what with the fake boobs valley and stuff being in such close proximity.

I think the hosting site was overrun by over zealous manatees.

nunusguy
08-06-2007, 08:18 PM
With the misfortunes that Indy is having at DT with Simon & now McFarland, Lance Z suggested in his latest Podcast that this might be an opportunity for the Texans to get atleast a 3rd and maybe a second rounder for TJ if they were so inclined to push the deal. I dunno, food for thought ?

awtysst
08-06-2007, 08:23 PM
With the misfortunes that Indy is having at DT with Simon & now McFarland, Lance Z suggested in his latest Podcast that this might be an opportunity for the Texans to get atleast a 3rd and maybe a second rounder for TJ if they were so inclined to push the deal. I dunno, food for thought ?

If we have decided that he is not part of the future, can we realy get a second or third? If he is worth a second or third, do we really want to get rid of him?

rickyb
08-07-2007, 08:48 AM
If we have decided that he is not part of the future, can we realy get a second or third? If he is worth a second or third, do we really want to get rid of him?

We are talking about TJ, right? Doesn't matter what we "paid" for him (in draft position). It matters what the market would bear for his services. Granted, I understand the duress which the Colts are under at the position, but still. A second? I doubt that his performance to date warrants such a price, duress or no duress. If we can get it, do it.