PDA

View Full Version : Schaub...

GuerillaBlack
08-03-2007, 03:03 PM
I have heard he hasn't been doing too well in TC. He has supposedly been throwing interceptions and not making good reads.

HOU-TEX
08-03-2007, 03:11 PM
I have heard he hasn't been doing too well in TC. He has supposedly been dropping passes and not making good reads.

:confused: Umm..he's a quarterback not a wide receiver. lol

He'll be fine:texflag:

Porky
08-03-2007, 03:19 PM
How does a QB drop a pass? :gun:

texanmojo
08-03-2007, 03:19 PM
I have heard he hasn't been doing too well in TC. He has supposedly been dropping passes and not making good reads.

Geez...give the guy a chance. We basically have an over-glorified rookie QB here! He will be just fine...

powerfuldragon
08-03-2007, 03:20 PM
i don't know, but i'm pretty sure david carr could have managed it.

Errant Hothy
08-03-2007, 03:26 PM

Soucre, please.

hollywood_texan
08-03-2007, 03:26 PM
I thought the reason Schuab was traded for was because he has played in the same system since college and should be plug and play.

We could have cut Carr and tried our luck with Sage and saved two 2nd round drafts, as well as cap money.

The Schuab deal was risky and anything less than 8-8 will be a failure on that deal unless there are serious issues compensating it.

My biggest concern is, Kubiak passes on VY (or Cutler/Leinart if they start to tear it up), keeps Carr for $8 million then cuts him, and then trades for Schuab that doesn't pan out. That sounds like horrible decision making for a guy that is supposed to be a QB guru, particularly if Mario Williams turns out to be average.

It's still early for Schuab, but I don't think he has the entire regular season to get things going.

I am really looking forward to watching the preseason games on the NFL network via DVR.

Porky
08-03-2007, 03:43 PM
I thought the reason Schuab was traded for was because he has played in the same system since college and should be plug and play.

We could have cut Carr and tried our luck with Sage and saved two 2nd round drafts, as well as cap money.

The Schuab deal was risky and anything less than 8-8 will be a failure on that deal unless there are serious issues compensating it.

My biggest concern is, Kubiak passes on VY (or Cutler/Leinart if they start to tear it up), keeps Carr for $8 million then cuts him, and then trades for Schuab that doesn't pan out. That sounds like horrible decision making for a guy that is supposed to be a QB guru, particularly if Mario Williams turns out to be average.

It's still early for Schuab, but I don't think he has the entire regular season to get things going.

I am really looking forward to watching the preseason games on the NFL network via DVR.

David Carr had five years, but Schaub doesn't even get one? Nice logic. :pirate:

Errant Hothy
08-03-2007, 03:45 PM

Yeah, cause we were so going to get to .500 with Carr under center.

Fox
08-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Giving Carr five seasons wasn't exactly the best logic either...

GuerillaBlack
08-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Soucre, please.

I don't know what I was thinking. Honest mistake (on the dropping passes part).

I was watching Houston Sports Beat this morning, and that is where I heard it from.

TexansLucky13
08-03-2007, 03:47 PM

i don't know, but i'm pretty sure david carr could have managed it.

http://www.texansrock.com/files/images/davd-carr-gunslinger.jpg

It's dropping... with style!

:cool:

New_Texans
08-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Remember, David Carr looked wonderful in practice and did nothing when it mattered.

Besides, its best if Matt makes the mistakes now, learns from them, then doesn't make them when its a real game.

Also, apparently our secondary is much better than we think.

Double Barrel
08-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Geez...give the guy a chance. We basically have an over-glorified rookie QB here! He will be just fine...

I agree...

I'll never understand why rookie QBs, who have never played a down in the NFL, get the benefit of the doubt, but Schaub doesn't.

And if anybody wants to be really stupid, go ahead and say Schaub was a backup QB for three years. Ignorance of the Falcons, Blank, and Vick will be quite evident by that point.

I can't believe that in just two weeks of camp some folks have blown it out of their assumption that Schaub is already a bust. But whatever...I just hope that bitterness pill doesn't choke them on the way down.

You do understand that we run a WCO and VY is not a WCO QB, yeah?

And you understand Texans history that keeping Carr was NOT a Kubiak decision, yeah? (btw, Bill Walsh was known to use high picks on defenders, too)

With regards to Sage; Do you really believe that your opinion of a backup QB is more qualified than Gary Kubiak, who played with Elway, coached Steve Young to an MVP and Super Bowl championship, and then coached Elway to two Super Bowl championships?

Seriously, bro', I know backups are the most popular player on a team, but it's obvious that Sage has never been the man on any team he's played on. Some guys are just career backups and can play well when other teams have no data/film to study on them. If Kubiak thought he could do it, I have little doubt that he'd be our starter right now.

HOU-TEX
08-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Remember, David Carr looked wonderful in practice and did nothing when it mattered.

Besides, its best if Matt makes the mistakes now, learns from them, then doesn't make them when its a real game.

Also, apparently our secondary is much better than we think.

We definitely have some quality depth now.

I've still yet to be impressed by Faggins. Has anybody else that have been to camp noticed anything? IMO, both Bennett and Fletcher have outplayed him so far.

Then again it is just camp.:)

Hervoyel
08-03-2007, 04:13 PM
One week into camp I can't bring myself to worry too much about anyone in camp short of injured players. Much has been made of Schaub having played in this kind of offense for much of his professional and collegiate career but stop and consider for a moment that he's got a few off-season camps and one week of training camp with these players. The systems may be the same but there will be differences in terminology and personnel that anyone would have to overcome.

The fact that he's practicing like it's week one of training camp with a new team doesn't mean that Schaub is a bust. It just means that it's week one of training camp with a new team.

tsip
08-03-2007, 04:17 PM
David Carr had five years, but Schaub doesn't even get one? Nice logic. :pirate:

...very good point I've been making,too--however, a lot of this BS started the first week of TC--what's up with that?

And, how about the poster that already wants to know what 'retreads' we'll p/u when they're cut from other teams. However, Porky, you gotta love the guy that was upset by all the interceptions that Matt was throwing the other day, but--come to find out--it was #18 and not #8 that day.

Vega
08-03-2007, 04:31 PM
You know one of the things I've never understood is the argument that nobody knows if Schaub will be another Brett Favre or another AJ Feeley (nobody's made that on this thread, but I'm sure you've all heard it as well).

Anyway, that sounds like a load of crap to me because it makes it seem as if backup QBs are these mysterious beings that are a complete crapshoot and there's no way to distinguish between them. While for the average fan, and obviously the talking heads, that may be true, I would like to think that experienced NFL coaches such as Kubiak and Sherman can identify differences between a Schaub and a Feeley even with limited game tape.

Obviously they can't tell everything about a guy, but between the exposure they have and extended discussions with other NFL types, they should have a decent idea about a guy. Even in the media you've heard all sorts of great reviews about Schaub before he was traded to Houston.

hollywood_texan
08-03-2007, 04:39 PM

Giving Carr five seasons wasn't exactly the best logic either...

Thank ya Fox.

Carr started as a rookie on an expansion team. You get a couple years to gel with that.

As for Schuab, I am of the understanding they did the deal because he has been working with Kubiak's type of offense since college.

If the expection on trading for Schuab was 2 to 3 years to get rolling, I would have taken my chances with Sage.

The two 2nd round draft picks, dead money from Carr, and then more money for Schuab just sounds like stupidity to me.

Honestly, I think Schuab will be just fine this year. He won't blow the doors wide open in 2007 but establish good momentum to be a force in the future.

hollywood_texan
08-03-2007, 04:44 PM
You do understand that we run a WCO and VY is not a WCO QB, yeah?

And you understand Texans history that keeping Carr was NOT a Kubiak decision, yeah? (btw, Bill Walsh was known to use high picks on defenders, too)

With regards to Sage; Do you really believe that your opinion of a backup QB is more qualified than Gary Kubiak, who played with Elway, coached Steve Young to an MVP and Super Bowl championship, and then coached Elway to two Super Bowl championships?

Seriously, bro', I know backups are the most popular player on a team, but it's obvious that Sage has never been the man on any team he's played on. Some guys are just career backups and can play well when other teams have no data/film to study on them. If Kubiak thought he could do it, I have little doubt that he'd be our starter right now.

I understand your points but I wasn't arguing those perspectives particularly.

So what I am really saying is, if Schuab isn't all that, maybe Kubiak isn't such a good QB coach and/or evaluator of talent.

I am sure Carr was forced on Kubiak when accepting the head coach position. But, if he didn't like it, he shouldn't have taken the job or negotiated something better. Again, poor decision making by Kubiak and there is no way getting around that.

Bottom line, Kubiak should be this QB guru and nothing has shown that thus far that he is.

That's all I'm saying.

As I said earlier, I think Schuab will be just fine this year, not amazing but on his way! Right now though, there still are a lot of question marks.

ObsiWan
08-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Thank ya Fox.

Carr started as a rookie on an expansion team. You get a couple years to gel with that.

As for Schuab, I am of the understanding they did the deal because he has been working with Kubiak's type of offense since college.

If the expection on trading for Schuab was 2 to 3 years to get rolling, I would have taken my chances with Sage.

The two 2nd round draft picks, dead money from Carr, and then more money for Schuab just sounds like stupidity to me.

Honestly, I think Schuab will be just fine this year. He won't blow the doors wide open in 2007 but establish good momentum to be a force in the future.

And suppose Sage wasn't "the guy"... Yeah, he's good "in relief" like Don Strock or Frank Reich, but when you make him The Guy, he folds. Now you've wasted ANOTHER year. Add that one onto the 2-3 years ahead of you if you pick up someone in the draft or in F/A. And any talented backup is either (a) going to be resigned by his team or (b) going to cost you an arm and a leg in the F/A mkt.

hollywood_texan
08-03-2007, 04:58 PM
And suppose Sage wasn't "the guy"... Yeah, he's good "in relief" like Don Strock or Frank Reich, but when you make him The Guy, he folds. Now you've wasted ANOTHER year. Add that one onto the 2-3 years ahead of you if you pick up someone in the draft or in F/A. And any talented backup is either (a) going to be resigned by his team or (b) going to cost you an arm and a leg in the F/A mkt.

Good point, but if Schuab isn't the guy, then we are in an even deeper hole to get out of.

Just because you get divorced, doesn't mean you have to get remarried right away.

I am not necessarily against the Schuab trade, but they could have waited around to see what shook out and maybe got a better deal. Besides, if Kubiak is this greater evaluator of QB talent, let him find a guy cheap that he can work with.

Kubiak/Smith have put all chips in for 2007 with this Schuab deal. It's that simple.

Cutting Carr and playing Sage, and they had a reasonable shot of getting to 8-8 this year in my opinion. Then make your move in 2008 to shore up the QB position if Sage isn't a long term solution. I'm talking about leaving yourself open with options.

They pulled the trigger really fast on the QB position. If it works, they will smell like apple pie!!!

Specnatz
08-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Thank ya Fox.

Yes Schaub played in the same type of system in Atl but he did not play with the same players and like DB said or was it Herv, anyway, he has to get used to new players. I am sure if you goto Patriots camp right now that brady will be missing WR, because they are all new to the team and have to get used to how each performs.

Well your point about the QB switch is something like taking a hammer and hitting your thumb, you realize it hurts but you keep doing it and expecting a different result. How about trying to hit something other than your thumb and see if works better.

hollywood_texan
08-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Yes Schaub played in the same type of system in Atl but he did not play with the same players and like DB said or was it Herv, anyway, he has to get used to new players. I am sure if you goto Patriots camp right now that brady will be missing WR, because they are all new to the team and have to get used to how each performs.

Well your point about the QB switch is something like taking a hammer and hitting your thumb, you realize it hurts but you keep doing it and expecting a different result. How about trying to hit something other than your thumb and see if works better.

I am not worried about these Schuab reports for some of the reasons above.

But, I do think Schuab is going to have to prove himself, and do it early. Meaning, he needs to show he was worth the trade in the first half of the 2007 season.

Double Barrel
08-03-2007, 05:19 PM
So what I am really saying is, if Schuab isn't all that, maybe Kubiak isn't such a good QB coach and/or evaluator of talent.

I am sure Carr was forced on Kubiak when accepting the head coach position. But, if he didn't like it, he shouldn't have taken the job or negotiated something better. Again, poor decision making by Kubiak and there is no way getting around that.

Bottom line, Kubiak should be this QB guru and nothing has shown that thus far that he is.

He tried with Carr, but he was damaged goods by that point. Plus, we don't know what kind of conversations were said behind the scenes. Maybe Kubiak had reservations and McNair asked him to give Carr a year just to see what happens. But we know that Carr is not a WCO QB, and maybe Kubiak's ego thought he could do something with the guy. These are things we'll never know, but we do know that the owner made the call, not the HC.

And remember, Carr came out of the gate last year actually looking like something was clicking. He was leading the league in QB ratings and completion percentages, whatever stats are worth. So there was definitely some influence at work, but a coach can only do so much. The player has to carry the weight at the end of the day.

I am not necessarily against the Schuab trade, but they could have waited around to see what shook out and maybe got a better deal. Besides, if Kubiak is this greater evaluator of QB talent, let him find a guy cheap that he can work with.

We know what was available. Schaub is the best acquisition for QBs this off-season. Even the Texans haters admit that he's got the most potential out of everyone available.

I don't think Kubiak wanted to waste one year on Carr, another year on Sage, and then have to develop a rookie QB for 2-3 years after that. Schaub has always been highly rated but obviously never had the chance to play because of circumstance in ATL.

Kubiak/Smith have put all chips in for 2007 with this Schuab deal. It's that simple.

Coaches and GMs do it every year in the NFL. We shouldn't expect any different from our FO. It is the nature of professional sports and a fan base that demands immediate gratification.

Texans Horror
08-03-2007, 05:22 PM
I thought the Texans would be further along than the first week of training camp before this sort of thing came up. I guess I was wrong. It's going to take time for Schaub to get his game. Here's some news for anyone shocked that he didn't connect during training camp: Schaub might make mistakes during the preseason. He might even make a few during the year. QBs aren't baked on 350 degrees for an hour and then set out to cool. It's going to take a while for him to develop. Give him some time (at least through training camp, dear God!) before criticizing the guy.

Errant Hothy
08-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Will a faction of the fans ever get over the VY thing?

hollywood_texan
08-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Will the fans ever get over the VY thing?

My issue isn't VY as much as the guy evaluating the talent and doing the coaching, which is Kubiak.

He has made a lot decisions (signing bonus, not drafting a QB last year, a trade) regarding the QB position, and we have yet to see good results on the field.

Schuab should be fine, but he needs to show he was worth the trade by the middle of this season. I am not saying perfect, which means maybe a bad game or two, but a couple to times show glimpses of why we should pay our season tickets and go to the games because something amazing could happen at any time, not just to tailgate, drink beer, and hang out with good friends.

Errant Hothy
08-03-2007, 05:42 PM
My issue isn't VY as much as the guy evaluating the talent and doing the coaching, which is Kubiak.

He has made a lot decisions (signing bonus, not drafting a QB last year, a trade) regarding the QB position, and we have yet to see good results on the field.

Schuab should be fine, but he needs to show he was worth the trade by the middle of this season. I am not saying perfect, which means maybe a bad game or two, but a couple to times show glimpses of why we should pay our season tickets and go to the games because something amazing could happen at any time, not just to tailgate, drink beer, and hang out with good friends.

I'm sorry, and this may not pretain to you (in fact it probably does not), but anytime somebody brings up last year's draft in refernce to QB's and couples that with Kubiak's call to try a year with Carr...I automatically get a "we should have drafted VY vibe".

Maybe it's because he still comes up in the paper, on the radio, and on this board.

Honoring Earl 34
08-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Good point, but if Schuab isn't the guy, then we are in an even deeper hole to get out of

I have more confidence in the Texans QB situation than I've had since 2005 . Having said that ... sure Schaub has question marks but I saw him throw a long td pass last night and a td to Daniels I think on a 4th and 4 . He also threw an interception . I saw Sage make some plays also but I give Matt the edge .

I see Kubiak having the ability to give an ultimatium to Mathis and TJ . I do not think that it's a fluke that #8 is being worn by a new player and now folks have to perform or get cut .

Hardcore Texan
08-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Will the fans ever get over the VY thing?

I am over it.....in fact I was never under it. I wouldn't want to give up Mario. But that requires a little thing called faith (and no, not blind faith).

And Kubiak, inherited a mess and he deserves time to sort it out. The sky is not falling.

:texflag:

Errant Hothy
08-03-2007, 06:28 PM
I am over it.....in fact I was never under it. I wouldn't want to give up Mario. But that requires a little thing called faith (and no, not blind faith).

And Kubiak, inherited a mess and he deserves time to sort it out. The sky is not falling.

:texflag:

I still get the feeling that some are not, nor will they ever be. It's the only thing about the on-line fanbase that drives me nuts. Other then that the Texans fans have one of the best on-line pressences.

Marcus
08-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Hey Hollywood!

Is your consistant misspelling of 'Schaub's name intentional as a means of protest against the trade, or is it just some sort of mental block?

hollywood_texan
08-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Hey Hollywood!

Is your consistant misspelling of 'Schaub's name intentional as a means of protest against the trade, or is it just some sort of mental block?

Neither. Just a scew-up, plain and simple.

Thanks for pointing it out.

For the record, even though I think it was a gutsy call (probably playing more Devil's advocate to some extent) for the trade, I think Schaub will be just fine this year. Which means the Texans will go 8-8 or better and have an offense that defense's will have to worry about containing.

Lucky
08-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Schaub has been inconsistent. Rosenfels has been inconsistent. The entire passing game has been inconsistent. But, you have to realize that the guys they are lining up against are playing well. Dunta has played like a shutdown corner. Even the reserves in the secondary (like Fletcher, Bennett, and Hutchins) are making plays. It's tough out there for the offense.

But, it's not like Schaub hasn't made any plays or looks like he doesn't belong. On a roll left, Matt hit Putzier in stride on a 40 yard deep crossing route. Beautiful play. And on 4th down in the 2 minute drill, Schaub threaded the needle to Daniels on a seam route for a TD (there must be voice in Richard Smith's head that doesn't allow him to call a zone on 4th down). Matt also moves around much better than I thought he could. Bottom line, we won't know what we have in Schaub until he takes some shots and gets back up. Right now, let's cut the guy some slack.

I've still yet to be impressed by Faggins. Has anybody else that have been to camp noticed anything?
Faggins is what he is. He plays well in zones and man under coverages where he can break forward on the ball. When he has to turn and run with a receiver, he losses ground or reaches out with an arm bar. That's why I think the Texans switched him to the left side, where he can hopefully get more help over the top.

Texanmike02
08-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Schaub comes from a WCO background. Its not the same offense its similar. That means teams have had the opportunity to evaluate him and see if he has the tools to run that system. It doesn't mean he's familiar with the terminology or the personnel. When I posted that I thought we would wind up 6-10 or 7-9 this year that was one of my concerns. That he will take some real game time to get going. That doesn't mean he will never get it going. Even if he comes out and shines in camp it doesn't mean his first couple of games will be amazing displays of qbship. There is a reason though, that Atlanta was trying to work Schaub into their offense alongside Vick. Also if you are in the camp that thought we should wait until next year to just sign him do you think that would still be a possibility? He can say all the right things and do all the right things, but the bottom line is that it will take young QB, regardless if he is a rookie or a 3 year backup, a year or so to step in and get the offense going. Also keep in mind that we are probably changing the offense a bit to suit his talents better. It isn't like we have another QB here who is in his ear telling him what to expect or what works. This is going to be an interesting year. It will be fun to watch this young offense grow at times and at others it will be difficult to watch them fumble around and look lost. That is what happens when you have a young team. Next year is the launching point for this team. I keep saying that and people keep saying I'm being pessimistic. We free a bunch of cap space and our QB and key defensive players will have had a year or two to grow into the system.

Sage, for what it is worth, has demonstrated (in not beating out even Jay Fiedler) that he doesn't have what it takes to be a starting QB. He comes in and rallies the troops effectively but that would only last a few games.

Mike

I guess I should qualify this by saying that when I realized we were moving Carr (around week 16 last year I think) I wanted us to make a move for Schaub.

2ToneBlue
08-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Geez, this reminds me of another thread on here about a Titan QB throwing INT's. It's supposed to happen or else you're defenders plain suck. They're not running the full playbook, and the defense has seen the plays a few times already (most likely even that day) so they know how to react to it.

The defense is meant to react the the offense. So if they react well and get a turnover great for them.

So early to even worry about it in my opinion. I am no Texan fan, but heck I say give him time it's only TC :shades:

jdog
08-03-2007, 08:48 PM
It's almost football season. Isn't it great?

Okay, first, Kubiak is a good coach, and the combination of Kubiak and Smith is making our Texans better than ever. I heard some accusations to the contrary.

In about a year, they have improved almost every spot on the depth chart and most importantly added competition all the way down the line of depth at most positions.

Kubiak has also shown his ability as a quarter back coach by improving Carr's statistics last year (completion percentage). Sage Rosenfels is an example of Kubiak's ability to find quarter back talent. You're all in love with Sage, right?

Second, everyone knows the Schaub trade is a big deal. Kubiak and Smith are clearly good at what they do. I don't think they do this deal if they did not 1) see getting a new quarter back as critical to the team's success and 2) feel like Schaub was the best available candidate for the job.

You expect Schaub to prove his worth by mid-season. Well, I think it might be a little unfair of you, but I also think that he WILL satisfy your requirement. Also, keep in mind the improvement to the offense and the team as a whole.

It seems to me like the entire team is better right now, and I feel like part of the reason is the quarter back change. People are being held accountable, and it's a good thing for the Texans.

GP
08-03-2007, 08:49 PM

LOL. Yeah, that's how it is.

These same posters are the type of people that sit in the drive-up lane at McDonald's and get angry and honk their horns because it's taking more than 1 minute to get their food.

5 years of giving David every chance to be the QB, and Schaub is a bust after one week of camp.

(sigh)

You guys need to shut everything off until regular season hits. You're getting worked up over practice.

Practice? We talkin bout practice?!

Texanmike02
08-03-2007, 08:55 PM
You expect Schaub to prove his worth by mid-season. Well, I think it might be a little unfair of you, but I also think that he WILL satisfy your requirement. Also, keep in mind the improvement to the offense and the team as a whole.

I don't think he will do it by mid season. I think that he will start to show signs that he was worth it. No matter how much you practice its not the real deal. There's a reason (other than ripping off fans for full priced tickets) that preseason games don't count.

Mike

MEGA SWATT
08-03-2007, 10:24 PM

fumbles the snap?:user:

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2007, 12:23 AM
I feel like there is just a calming of the big hoopla, horn blowing when the switch was made. Most were claiming just how much this kid would be the answerer to all that was wrong.

My position hasn't changed. We had a horrible qb the past couple of years. As long as Schaub is even average, we should see big improvement in most (if not all) areas of our offense. Our line should look better, our running game should look better, and our receivers should look better.

I'm not down on Schaub because he's in training camp with a new team and he's making mistakes. That's what training camp is for. I simply expect him to not make the same fatal mistakes we've become used to seeing out of the QB position.

BattleRedToro
08-04-2007, 12:40 AM
These are things we'll never know, but we do know that the owner made the call, not the HC.

Actually, we don't even know that, as we were not at the meeting where this decision was made.

Houston_Fanatic
08-04-2007, 12:53 AM
Schaub will do a better job than our previous QB - no doubt in my mind. I got so sick of seeing drive after drive fizzle because of passes being batted down, Carr sacking himself behind the line of scrimmage, stumbling over his own feet or dumping it off for a 1-yd game.

We are going to have the best season we have ever had. Our defense is coming together and will keep us in the game and bail Schaub out when he makes a bonehead play. I don't expect Schaub to give up trying to win until the clock says 00:00.

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2007, 02:27 AM
Wow... fatal mistakes. I've must have missed that game. How many deaths were caused pencil? Was it just David or did he take someone with him.

Caddy, fatal doesn't always mean that people died.

From dictionary.com:
-----------------------------------
fa·tal /ˈfeɪtl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[feyt-l] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. causing or capable of causing death; mortal; deadly: a fatal accident; a fatal dose of poison.
2. causing destruction, misfortune, ruin, or failure: The withdrawal of funds was fatal to the project.
3. decisively important; fateful: The fatal day finally arrived.
4. proceeding from or decreed by fate; inevitable: a fatal series of events.
5. influencing or concerned with fate; fatalistic.
6. Obsolete. doomed.
7. Obsolete. prophetic.
-----------------------------------------

He made several mistakes in several games that were fatal to our chances for winning those games (the first Titans game with the interceptions and fumbles or the 4 interceptions against the Patriots, for example.) He tried as hard as he could to cost us other games (like the Raider game and the Browns game) but we were able to overcome his play.

I expect Schaub to make mistakes. I expect him to throw some interceptions and possibly get sacked and fumble a couple of times. He might even cost us a game or two. He's only human and no one's perfect. I do expect him to make more positive plays and less negative plays than Carr did and I expect him to cost us fewer games than Carr cost us.

Carr Bombed
08-04-2007, 02:52 AM
Yeah, as in he killed any chance we had at winning the game.

see the 16 times he laid the ball on the ground last year, including 5 games where he had MULTIPLE fumbles.......... 3 games he fumbled the damn ball 3 times each game. :gun:

Wait, who and I kidding, we were obviously standing between Carr and his path to the HOF.

BattleRedToro
08-04-2007, 09:39 AM
I expect Schaub to... ...possibly get sacked...

Possibly get sacked? lol:

http://www.picpix.com/brad/pic/009e9b1d
I guarantee he will get sacked.

I hope he gets sacked less then Carr was last year, but I'm sure he will get sacked.

GuerillaBlack
08-04-2007, 11:09 AM
AJ should be in that thing.

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Possibly get sacked? lol:

You misread what I wrote.

"...possibly get sacked and fumble a couple of times."

Comparing a couple of times against the multitude of times it happened to Carr.

Brando
08-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Carr bomb, Here's a hint... stay away from Canton. His Picture is the only player at the Houston Texans exhibit. Along with the NFL completion record he set.

He tied it actually. (http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/9815090)

But how many was short dump offs and how many yards did he gain? Not much I'm sure. Here is one example.......

Carr tied Brunell's record on a short pass to Wali Lundy for no gain with 6:19 left.

Please stop the man love for Carr.

Schaub will be fine.............

Second Honeymoon
08-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Carr bomb, Here's a hint... stay away from Canton. His Picture is the only player at the Houston Texans exhibit. Along with the NFL completion record he set.

you mean the one he broke with a negative yardage completion? yeah, thought so.

Carr sucks and people still pining for him suck just as bad.

here is a link you may be interested in
http://www.carolinapanthers.com

go away

tsip
08-04-2007, 04:58 PM
I feel like there is just a calming of the big hoopla, horn blowing when the switch was made. Most were claiming just how much this kid would be the answerer to all that was wrong. Now that Kubs is yelling at him ( which is no big deal. He yells at everyone ) and is getting use to the tough job of being the Texans QB. He's just working, at doing his new job. The hype about the leadership, reading defenses and making the right moves to escape the rush being put on him were just that. These things are what most wanted, but only earned on the playing field. So the early hype then and now the early practices are no time to make any type of judgment. The jury should see more evidence before deciding on any verdict.
We have got guys that can make plays on this team," Schaub said. "They are just young and haven't gotten the experience or amount of opportunities that a guy like Andre Johnson has gotten."

"Schaub has gotten rave reviews for the way he has taken over the team and asserted himself as a leader, a skill Carr was criticized for lacking. Coaches and players alike talk about Schaub's presence in the huddle and his innate ability to bring the team together.

"I just like the way he operates in there," Kubiak said. "I think his teammates are learning to trust him and they definitely believe in him -- just watch them operate around him."

Johnson, who has been with the Texans since 2002, is excited about the possibilities for the offense with Schaub in charge.

"He's a leader," Johnson said. "He's out there working and he has a lot of confidence in his game. He's talking to everyone, trying to get everyone on the same page. I think that's going to take us a long way."

...'c on, Caddy, can't you at least back up 1 of your post with a source?

By KRISTIE RIEKEN, AP Sports Writer
August 4, 2007

Second Honeymoon
08-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Gee tsip, I so happy that all the leadership talk makes you so pumped up. Yawn... as for me it does nothing. As in the old cartoon, Rocky was always at odds with the " Fearless Leader " so until until we get points for leadership that go up on the scoreboard. I'm leaving it up to you to bang the drum and blow you horn over Leadership.

yet Carr gets a free pass with you after 5 years of total suckitude.

sounds like sour grapes to me.....

you criticized Schaub before he even takes a snap yet you remain one of the biggest Carr homers in history after 5 years of ineptitude and losing records.

tsip
08-04-2007, 09:32 PM
yet Carr gets a free pass with you after 5 years of total suckitude.

sounds like sour grapes to me.....

you criticized Schaub before he even takes a snap yet you remain one of the biggest Carr homers in history after 5 years of ineptitude and losing records.

Obviously, Caddy can relate to DC..

tsip
08-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Gee tsip, I so happy that all the leadership talk makes you so pumped up. Yawn... as for me it does nothing. As in the old cartoon, Rocky was always at odds with the " Fearless Leader " so until until we get points for leadership that go up on the scoreboard. I'm leaving it up to you to bang the drum and blow you horn over Leadership.

Caddy, I heard Fox was a 'little' upset that Carr keeps putting himself in a 'sack' position, even though they have a rule of no sacks during TC--better tell him to look at Carr's old game film---what you see, is what you get...

ObsiWan
08-04-2007, 10:14 PM

He didn't SET that record he only TIED it. This is from the CBS Sportsline game summary for the Texans/Bills game.

Carr opened 1-for-3 with an interception on his first pass before completing his next 22 throws. Carr finished 25-of-30 for 223 yards and no touchdowns.

Carr tied the record held by Mark Brunell, who had 22 consecutive completions in Washington's 31-15 win over the Texans at Reliant Stadium on Sept. 24. He tied Brunell's record on a short pass to Wali Lundy for no gain with 6:19 left.

The streak was broken when his pass to Andre Johnson with 5:44 remaining fell short.

What would have been nice was if he had actually broken the record - his next pass was one we needed to keep a fourth qtr drive alive, to kill the clock, and win the game.

As the gamelog states, it was underthrown.

TexansSeminole
08-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Obis, thanks for pointing out what everyone knows. Now my question who has the record? Why, yes Carr, & Burnell. Notice I said nothing about breaking the record.

I thought that someone else broke that record later in the year. Maybe im thinking of something else though.

tsip
08-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Again your right... He was # 1 in dropped passes in AL, last year with 11. Held that in game 14, the last two wins we had last year, he didn't drop any. :cool:

...and AJ has been to 2 pro bowls--your boy, how many?

Vinny
08-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Caddy has turned out to be nothing but a troll at the end of the day. He is obviously not a Texan fan...he wubs Davie too much to be a Texan fan. Real Texans fans don't refer to the team as "the cows" (http://boards.houstontexans.com/showpost.php?p=13515&postcount=27) and such. Don't feed the trolls.

Silly thing is that the cows seem to believe that by move guy out and another in, it will mean a 3-win improvement. I'm happy about Carr w/ the Panthers but we still have a longer road to go to be a winning team.This is the last thing I'll post in this thread about Carr.....This was posted on the Carolina board on 7-30 from camp....this looks familiar doesn't it?

It’s very obvious that Delhomme is our starter and the better QB by far from any of them out there. Anyone who thinks Carr should start needs to get to TC and just watch him. Overthrowing, underthrowing, fumble (Carr getting Shelton the ball late), dancing feet – ugh!! He needs to step up or settle down or something. He is most definitely a project, didn't look like he's been playing for 5 years. He has a "wind up" to his throw that reminds me of a pitcher's short wind up but he does throw it hard. Did see him, also, just "toss" it with his wrist and it was still thrown hard.

I think Basinez did better than Carr or Bell. Heck, Bell was better than Carr.http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/carolina-panthers/55264-my-tc-thoughts-about-our-offense.html

Honoring Earl 34
08-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Caddy has turned out to be nothing but a troll at the end of the day. He is obviously not a Texan fan...he wubs Davie too much to be a Texan fan. Real Texans fans don't refer to the team as "the cows" (http://boards.houstontexans.com/showpost.php?p=13515&postcount=27) and such. Don't feed the trolls.

Caddy lost income when Carr left , kinda like alimony I guess .

Kaiser Toro
08-05-2007, 12:25 PM
If I were putting a trench warfare plan together I would certainly enlist caddy to help execute as he really digs in. At some point this battle of attrition will be over and no holes will be left to dig - are you a Texans fan first who happens to be a Carr fan? If so stay in the NFL forum as you are not doing the Texans' fans a favor standing up for a player that is on another team at the expense of our QB.

Honoring Earl 34
08-05-2007, 12:35 PM
If I were putting a trench warfare plan together I would certainly enlist caddy to help execute as he really digs in. At some point this battle of attrition will be over and no holes will be left to dig - are you a Texans fan first who happens to be a Carr fan? If so stay in the NFL forum as you are not doing the Texans' fans a favor standing up for a player that is on another team at the expense of our QB.

Caddy just believes what he thinks he saw . His being stubborn ... well we've all done to some extent .

Double Barrel
08-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Actually, we don't even know that, as we were not at the meeting where this decision was made.

We don't have to be at the meeting when the owner tells us the truth.

McNair accepted personal responsibility for making the decision at one of the off-season's press conferences.

Head coaching candidates were all asked what they thought of Carr and if they could work with him.

It is well known that our owner felt a personal responsibility to Carr, and this relationship influenced his decisions. It's history now, so no biggie. But you don't even have to read between the lines to see the reality in this story.

Thorn
08-05-2007, 04:01 PM
I still think Schawb is a mistake, and a pricy one at that. But, I guess we'll see what's what this coming Saturday. I would love to be wrong on this, but until I'm shown the error of my ways, I still think the Texans paid a bad price for this 2nd stringer.

Kaiser Toro
08-05-2007, 04:03 PM
I still think Schawb is a mistake, and a pricy one at that. But, I guess we'll see what's what this coming Saturday. I would love to be wrong on this, but until I'm shown the error of my ways, I still think the Texans paid a bad price for this 2nd stringer.

What is your methodology for measuring success and failure on this transaction?

Thorn
08-05-2007, 04:06 PM
What is your methodology for measuring success and failure on this transaction?

Winning games and not looking like the fool Carr was. If he does that, then fine, I'll hold up my hand and admit my horrible misjudgement. But until that happens, I don't like the deal.

Kaiser Toro
08-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Winning games and not looking like the fool Carr was. If he does that, then fine, I'll hold up my hand and admit my horrible misjudgement. But until that happens, I don't like the deal.

I think we all reserve that line of thinking somewhere in our minds.

ObsiWan
08-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Obis, thanks for pointing out what everyone knows. Now my question who has the record? Why, yes Carr, & Burnell. Notice I said nothing about breaking the record.

I notice that these were your words

Along with the NFL completion record he set.When you SET a record it means you BROKE the old one.

The first person to SET the record has it by definition. Anyone else can only tie it unless they SET a new one.

ObsiWan
08-05-2007, 04:36 PM

I have a different question: What would you have had us do instead.

For myself, I'm on record in the Chron.com Texans board (I didn't know this board existed) as wanting Carr, Sage, and whoever else they could get off the F/A mkt to compete for the starter job. Back in January that was my viewpoint. At that time, I would have rather had the picks.

I would have liked to see if he could have blossomed with one more year under Kubiak and, more importantly, if he had the fire in his belly to show some leadership and fight for his spot. I mean, for five years, this was supposed to be HIS TEAM. No real leader would give that up without fighting for it.

Second Honeymoon
08-05-2007, 04:44 PM

For myself, I'm on record in the Chron.com Texans board (I didn't know this board existed) as wanting Carr, Sage, and whoever else they could get off the F/A mkt to compete for the starter job. Back in January that was my viewpoint. At that time, I would have rather had the picks.

I would have liked to see if he could have blossomed with one more year under Kubiak and, more importantly, if he had the fire in his belly to show some leadership and fight for his spot. I mean, for five years, this was supposed to be HIS TEAM. No real leader would give that up without fighting for it.

yup, it just proves that he isn't a real leader and that football isnt that important to him. football was never a priority to him and it showed in his play and it showed on how he 'led' the team.

he was pathetic and the Panthers will soon see this. I wouldn't be surprised if his butt was dropped from the roster at some point within the next calendar year.

he never earned the respect of anyone in this city except the mindless sheeple who cheer a guy SOLELY for the reason that he wears your team's uniform. in order for me to believe in a guy, I ahve to see something worth believing...he didn't show me anything for 5 years so I never believed in him.

Thorn
08-05-2007, 05:01 PM

Well, before the draft, I was calling for a 1st round offensive lineman and picking up Kolb in the second round. But, things turned out different. I certainly can’t argue with our 1st round pick this year. Since Philly took Kolb before we would have picked in the 2nd round, that sort of negated my idea anyway.

I would have drafted an offensive lineman in the 2nd round, and brought in a less pricy free agent QB and let him and Sage fight out for this year, and picked up a quarterback in the draft next year after we’ve settled things down on our o-line.

Basically, we have the same o-line we had last year except for Black. They’ve proven they can run block decent enough, but they are not there when it comes to pass protection. Schaub is going to have the same protection problem Carr did when dropping back.

the wonger need food
08-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Schaub is going to have the same protection problem Carr did when dropping back.

Probably. But the good ones figure out how to avoid the sacks by getting rid of the ball on time, using their footwork and good pocket presense. Things that our previous QB never learned.

Vinny
08-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Basically, we have the same o-line we had last year except for Black. They’ve proven they can run block decent enough, but they are not there when it comes to pass protection. Schaub is going to have the same protection problem Carr did when dropping back.
not really...when you sack yourself (Kubiak said it himself), and then the team cuts you....you can't sack the next QB....you can only continue to sack yourself. :gun:

tsip
08-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Don't LIE.
These were your words
When you SET a record it means you BROKE the old one.

The first person to SET the record has it by definition. Anyone else can only tie it unless they SET a new one.

...my bag, I thought every Caddy post was a lie

tsip
08-05-2007, 07:11 PM

If Matt turns out to be another DC--as many many other posters have pointed out--he only has us for $7 million, not the $35 million Caddy's grandson got us for---

However, I've said it before and I'll say it again--with spme posters you're damned if you do and damned if you don't...Posters moan Carr should have started as a b/u and learned his way...Ok, that's what we have in Schaub--and the 'bitchin' goes on...

tsip
08-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Now I have posted either here or on the other Houston Texan site. That I won't follow the herd that blames the lack of success on one player. But it's not unusal for fans to do the easy thing and blame the QB. Whoops I did find that post on the other Texan messenger board, it was referring to the herd that follows your hate Carr dogma against Carr.

Caddy, you better prepare yourself that the Panthers may cut Carr, as he's starting to show them the 'real' DC. He's getting outplayed by the other qbs and he's out of 'blame/excuses' cards.

...life w/o David--WOW--that's gotta get your insides running!! What will you do? What will you do?

Second Honeymoon
08-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Sorry, but my idea of a Texans fan is to speak his or her own feelings on the team. You seem to think they have to be Carr haters. If you're right then I will be glad to be called a troll.

Feel free to have your own feelings on the team but don't be surprised if people get upset when you are critical and lack belief in Schaub who has yet to play a down for the Texans while you remain zealous in your defense and belief in Carr who failed miserably here for over 70 starts and doesn't even play for the team anymore.

it's flawed logic and shows you are either ignorant or a troll.
the fact that you can operate a PC and spell makes me think you probably arent ignorant so it leads me to believe you are a troll.

I believe in Schaub because I want to believe. Just like I believed in Carr before he played a down. To go in with a defeatist attitude is just pathetic fandom. Give the guy a chance and I will be the first one to say that its not a sure thing. I just expect a real fan to reserve judgement until there is a body of work to judge. After all you gave your matinee idol Carr 5 years of patience and are still clamoring for more....

ObsiWan
08-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Sorry, but my idea of a Texans fan is to speak his or her own feelings on the team. You seem to think they have to be Carr haters. If you're right then I will be glad to be called a troll.

Fair enough. I don't think you have to turn your brain off and mindlessly support the team. If they do something I think is stupid, I'll certainly say so. And what I think is stupid won't necessarily be what someone else thinks is stupid.

That's when the debates start. :pirate:

That's what makes this forum so much fun.

Lucky
08-05-2007, 09:25 PM
He's just working, at doing his new job. The hype about the leadership, reading defenses and making the right moves to escape the rush being put on him were just that.
Caddy, here's a series of photos taken by Bullpen Andy (http://www.texansbullpen.com/07photogallery/Preseason/2007-08-04-TrainingCamp/2007-08-04-TrainingCamp.htm), which show Schaub "doing his job."

Schaub fakes to the RB, while Kalu comes up the middle on a stunt.

http://www.texansbullpen.com/07photogallery/Preseason/2007-08-04-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0223.JPG

Schaub takes a deep drop and looks downfield.

http://www.texansbullpen.com/07photogallery/Preseason/2007-08-04-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0224.JPG

Kalu breaks free, forcing Schaub to break out of the pocket.

http://www.texansbullpen.com/07photogallery/Preseason/2007-08-04-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0225.JPG

Schaub makes a quick move to the right (it was quick), with Kalu in pursuit.

http://www.texansbullpen.com/07photogallery/Preseason/2007-08-04-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0226.JPG

Lucky
08-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Continued:

Schaub evades Kalu and keeps his head upfield.

http://www.texansbullpen.com/07photogallery/Preseason/2007-08-04-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0227.JPG

Schaub finds his outlet receiver, and prepares to release.

http://www.texansbullpen.com/07photogallery/Preseason/2007-08-04-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0228.JPG

Dayne makes catch, turning a 10-yard loss into a 5-yard gain.

http://www.texansbullpen.com/07photogallery/Preseason/2007-08-04-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0229.JPG

Props to Bullpen Andy for the pics. :)

It was one play from one practice. But, it shows that Schaub has some ability to move in the pocket. It's not all hype.

Second Honeymoon
08-05-2007, 10:37 PM
I agree on those being great Pix's. Way to go Bullpen Andy.

nice signature, Texans 'fan'.
/sarcasm off

great pics

the wonger need food
08-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Those are great pics. Watch how pissed Coach Bush gets when Kalu misses Schaub.

Hook'er
08-05-2007, 11:03 PM
I can't wait to see Schaub go agianst that Bear D.

cuppacoffee
08-06-2007, 02:49 AM
I thought we didn't like five yard completions.

:jk:... :jk:... :jk: ...:D

Great pics. Bring on da Bears.

:coffee:

DBCooper
08-06-2007, 11:35 AM

:jk:... :jk:... :jk: ...:D

Great pics. Bring on da Bears.

:coffee:

2 plays and .........First Down!

Double Barrel
08-06-2007, 11:42 AM

Not when it's 3rd and 6. :shades:

Texans_Chick
08-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Those are great pics. Watch how pissed Coach Bush gets when Kalu misses Schaub.

Richard Smith needs to take a few steps back or so.

It would totally suck for Schaub or Kalu to get injured because they tripped over the defensive coordinator.

Texan_Bill
08-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Damn that #8!!!!.

All he does is throw that little dump pass to the running back....

the wonger need food
08-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Richard Smith needs to take a few steps back or so.

It would totally suck for Schaub or Kalu to get injured because they tripped over the defensive coordinator.

For sure....

I love seeing the pics of Coach Bush and Coach Franklin side-by-side, constantly coaching up the defensive linemen. I think we're going to see a huge improvement over last year because of these guys.

I read that Coach Karm is now an assistant to Coach Kubiak. TC, it would be nice if you could get the story around why he was moved and/or replaced.

Texans_Chick
08-06-2007, 01:57 PM
For sure....

I love seeing the pics of Coach Bush and Coach Franklin side-by-side, constantly coaching up the defensive linemen. I think we're going to see a huge improvement over last year because of these guys.

I read that Coach Karm is now an assistant to Coach Kubiak. TC, it would be nice if you could get the story around why he was moved and/or replaced.

He is a likeable guy but he is getting along in years (with a serious health history). They were bringing Dline guys in, and I am guessing it is a combo of those things. Haven't seen anything specific about this though.

Runner
08-07-2007, 06:00 PM
OK, I admit it. Sometimes I can't keep Kubiak's stories straight. I've been reading what a great leader Schaub is for so long, I feel like I'm in 1984. (The novel, not the year).

Offensive leader needed

Coach Gary Kubiak is still looking for a vocal leader to really take charge on the offensive side of the ball and complement Andre Johnson.

"We're in camp, and we're going to have some bad things happen," Kubiak said. "I see the groups go correct them and come back the next period and play better. I think we're growing up from that standpoint.

"I think on the offensive side of the ball we're still looking for that big leader to step up. Andre is a quiet guy. He leads by how he plays, but somebody's got to take control of the group when things are kind of in a lull."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5032357.html

It reminds me of a story I heard about Tommy Lasorda when he managed the Dodgers. He started calling Orel Hershiser "Bulldog" because he wasn't - he didn't have tenacity in a tough game. The psychology worked, because Orel got tougher.

I wonder if Kubiak is playing that game when he talks about Schaub's leadership?

real
08-07-2007, 06:17 PM
It reminds me of a story I heard about Tommy Lasorda when he managed the Dodgers. He started calling Orel Hershiser "Bulldog" because he wasn't - he didn't have tenacity in a tough game. The psychology worked, because Orel got tougher.

I wonder if Kubiak is playing that game when he talks about Schaub's leadership?

Read that this morning too, and I knew everyone would take it different ways...

He talks about guys being vocal...notice he mentions Andre and talks about how he's "quiet"....He's probably looking for a guy who's going to talk and get that side of the ball fired up and play well at the same time...

Because he's looking for more vocal leaders doesn't mean Schaub isn't vocal nor does it mean he's not a leader....All it means is that he's looking for a presence....

If you think about our guys on that side of the ball and their demeanors I'd agree with him...We don't have one brash personality...Nobody with a swagger over there...

Look at guys like Shockey, LT, T.O, McNabb, Portis, Steve Smith, Peyton, Joe Horn....

These are offensive guys who are pretty vocal and have a little swagger...I'm sure that is what he means when he talks about finiding "that guy"....someone who is going to be the offense's pulse....get them fired up....

That really has little to do with anything he's said about Schaub previously...

the wonger need food
08-07-2007, 07:12 PM
If you think about our guys on that side of the ball and their demeanors I'd agree with him...We don't have one brash personality...Nobody with a swagger over there...

Just wait until Jacoby gets his feet under him. He'll be the next Ocho Cinco... or Uno Dos.

Double Barrel
08-07-2007, 07:24 PM
I think key words are important:

Coach Gary Kubiak is still looking for a vocal leader to really take charge on the offensive side of the ball and complement Andre Johnson.

Maybe Schaub is not a VOCAL leader. Leadership can come in many different forms. Some by example, and others by firing people up.

Honestly, though, I don't think a leader truly emerges until it's trial by fire. It'll take good, consistent regular season performances to produce anyone for that role, IMO.

I've never seen a 'leader' on a team that sucks on the field. There is no respect, and right now, Schaub is unproven and simply cannot fulfill that role without first proving himself worthy.

"Intangibles", "mentors", and "leadership" is being overblown to the point of comedy at this point. We've never had a true leader on this team in five seasons. And if we did, he was probably released the next year.