PDA

View Full Version : Robinson's aura rubs off on Bennett

Carr Bombed
08-03-2007, 03:27 AM
Fred Bennett is standing beside one of his heroes, the guy he wanted to be just like. About the last thing he could have imagined is that he and Dunta Robinson would be teammates again.

During his three seasons, Robinson has been one of the few players who showed his anger at the way the franchise was being operated. He fumed after a 2005 loss in Baltimore. He took a not-so-veiled shot at David Carr last season.

Robinson believes in his heart that things finally are turning the right way, that the Texans really might be respectable.

"You never get used to losing," he said. "No one remembers a loser. This season, we've got a chance to do something we've never done. I think it's the best team we've had. We haven't played a game yet, but I'm optimistic."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/texans/5024087.html

God I can't wait for the season to start.

MightyTExan
08-03-2007, 07:20 AM
I get the feeling that Bennett and J Jones will be starting like Koobs did with the good rookies last season.

gtexan02
08-03-2007, 08:25 AM
I love it

"I'm a good player," Robinson said, "but I want to be better than that. I've got a lot of personal goals. I know I've got to play a lot better and do my part to help this football team win. I want to go against Andre (Johnson) every practice. I want to go against the guy I think is the best receiver in the game. It's a matter of competing and doing the best I can. When a receiver catches the ball, I'm starting to take that personally. In years past, it was a hand clap and move on to the next play. Now it's personal."
(From DRob)

HuttoKarl
08-03-2007, 08:59 AM
I was wondering on draft day why we were passing on CB's, but when they announced Fred Bennett, I was very happy. How I could forget about the big Gamecock is beyond me.

He will start this season....I know it.

ObsiWan
08-03-2007, 09:18 AM
I was wondering on draft day why we were passing on CB's, but when they announced Fred Bennett, I was very happy. How I could forget about the big Gamecock is beyond me.

He will start this season....I know it.

He might at that. He looked pretty good yesterday. The 2nd & 3rd team got lots of reps. And he stayed step-for-step whenever they tried to go long on his side.

And D-Rob IS playing with attitude. I don't think AJ caught but one or two balls on him.

O.D. looks good too. FFL players, don't overlook him. Maybe it was because of the playset they were running but he looks to be Schaub's favorite checkdown option.

gtexan02
08-03-2007, 09:20 AM
I heard some talk that Bennett may be moved to FS? Is this total speculation?

gg no re
08-03-2007, 09:32 AM
How I could forget about the big Gamecock is beyond me.I want to place emphasis on this line.

HuttoKarl
08-03-2007, 09:53 AM
I want to place emphasis on this line.

Yeah...because you're a PERV!

:whip: :splits: :whip:

It was sorta meant to be "funny".

Vinny
08-03-2007, 10:10 AM
a bunch of fans got mad at Dunta for not accepting losing...but those were mostly Carr fans....you know, the guys that were comfortable with losing.

real
08-03-2007, 10:17 AM
I love D-rob's approach to the game...

I expect a really good season from him...

gg no re
08-03-2007, 10:21 AM
:whip: :splits: :whip:

It was sorta meant to be "funny".It's okay, HuttoKarl.

We're a more open and tolerant society.

You don't have to keep sending subliminal messages with your bananas, esp. the ones that whip.

Double Barrel
08-03-2007, 11:15 AM
a bunch of fans got mad at Dunta for not accepting losing...but those were mostly Carr fans....you know, the guys that were comfortable with losing.

yeah, it's probably the same fans that were saying he's a second rate DB because he can't cover for 10+ seconds while our defensive line takes a nap.

V Man
08-03-2007, 11:47 AM
yeah, it's probably the same fans that were saying he's a second rate DB because he can't cover for 10+ seconds while our defensive line takes a nap.

must spread my rep.

Specnatz
08-03-2007, 12:04 PM

I have criticized the Safeties, but never D-Rob, but yes a lot of people critize without taking everything into account. It is like the espin way of talking football.

TexansLucky13
08-03-2007, 01:07 PM
I have criticized the Safeties, but never D-Rob, but yes a lot of people critize without taking everything into account. It is like the espin way of talking football.

Do you want this to become a Carr thread?

:gun:

gtexan02
08-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Oh great, now we are becoming DRob apologists. I swear this fan base has a higher excuse-generating potential than any other team I've ever been a fan of.

Is Drob great? Nope. Is he very good? Yes.
Im sorry, but go back and watch the games from last year. Drob visibly gave up on numerous occassions. In instances where he didn't have to cover for 10+ seconds he still gave up position and easy catches to 2nd rate WRs

He had a bad year last year, as did our entire secondary. Is he garbage? Hell no, but he did NOT play to his potential at all. And it wasn't all the DLs fault

badboy
08-03-2007, 01:45 PM
6.0 197 lbs and 4.47 at his school's pro day. Bennett has those things. Now if he can get a few plays under his belt, he could ease my worries on the #2 CB. If we can avoid injuries, have good play at CB & #2 WR and our backs do what I think they can = a good season. Our 1st, 3rd & 4th could address FS, LT (if necessary) and center in 08. That does not include free agency with a mite more $ available.

Specnatz
08-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Just because you dont overtly critize aplayer does it mean you make excuses. Not at all, I gues I should have not said never. I should have said hardly. I do not think he played his best but I guess I put more of that on his supporting cast without knowing as much as some. I am no expert, if I was I would be coaching ... and I did not see all of the games thanks to being in Austin.

Please explain to me how if someone is not overtly critical, they make excuses. Then again I saw people wanting Kubiak to be fired after one season, so I guess every person who said he should not be fired made excuses. Again, I am not sure what excuses were made. If I made an excuse, I guess I am to stupid to realize it.

gtexan02
08-03-2007, 02:13 PM
I was referring more to the post above you where someone claimed people were calling DRob a 2nd rate CB because he couldn't cover for 10+ seconds.

That seemed to be an excuse to me.

HOU-TEX
08-03-2007, 02:14 PM
I was referring more to the post above you where someone claimed people were calling DRob a 2nd rate CB because he couldn't cover for 10+ seconds.

I think they were being sarcastic.:rolleyes:

Double Barrel
08-03-2007, 03:22 PM

yeah, it's sarcasm, but it's rooted in reality regarding the nature of defense. Seriously, do you know of any CB that can cover all day long when there is absolutely no pressure on the QB? (btw, "all day long" is also being sarcastic...)

There is a difference between 'reasons' and 'excuses'. The first takes a knowledge of football, though, so keep on believing it's all excuses. No sweat off my back. (hmmm...more sarcasm?)

Football 101: Coverage will ALWAYS break down when given enough time. This is why a pass rush is so important (perhaps a reason why the Texans have used four 1st round picks on D-linemen?). Any dominant defense begins with control of the trenches. Check football history books if clarification and/or understanding of the concepts presented is required.

I'd bet D.Rob would be picked up the same day he was released. That is one of the measures of value in the NFL, which we clearly learned with previous players.

aj.
08-03-2007, 08:43 PM
I want to place emphasis on this line.

Better beyond than behind I guess...

D-Rob was the only guy playing hard in the 4th quarter against Denver in '04. He damm near killed himself going for a knockout on Kyle Johnson. Never mind that Johnson outweighs him by 60 lbs. He is a passionate and talented NFL player and we are lucky to have him.

Watching D-Rob work on AJ last night was a thing of beauty. You can really appreciate the quickness of these guys when you're seeing it from ground level - or bleacher level only a few feet away - and you iso them.

Bennett has a chance to be something too... his matchups against Mathis were also a treat to watch.

gtexan02
08-03-2007, 08:59 PM
First off, I've never said DRob doesnt have it. In fact, if you'll reread my post, I said Drob was very good. Towards the end of his rookie season, he was great. He maintained pretty good play throughout the next year, but I felt that there were many times last year when he was caught out of position.

Other times, it looked like he had given up. He was a man frustrated with the team, and he let it show.

Im not saying he doesnt have talent, Im just saying that last year he wasn't great. He didn't live up to his potential. And while some of that was the pass rush, you may remember that we have NEVER had a good pass rush. And even with no pass rush in the past, he has produced solidly.

This was all obvious to me while watching the games.

And if my opinions aren't good enough, listen to Joyner's assessment:
is 7.4 overall YPA says that he is an average cornerback and his 45.2% overall success percentage echoes that sentiment. His 16.7% missed pass and 9.0% forced incompletion percentages says that a disproportionate amount of his success last year was due to luck, and that might drop his overall status to mediocre.

Even without those numbers, though, I would still think that anyone watching Texans games would see Robinson’s talent level. The Dolphins and Cowboys both targeted him with success and there were many other games where it was obvious teams weren’t avoiding him in the least. He’s not a terrible cornerback by any stretch but he certainly isn’t “one of the best young cornerbacks in the league” as Kevin Harlan said.
http://gotexans.blogspot.com/2007/07/like-iliad-but-with-graphs.html

gtexan02
08-03-2007, 09:02 PM
I'd bet D.Rob would be picked up the same day he was released. That is one of the measures of value in the NFL, which we clearly learned with previous players.

And I would expect you to know better than to think hype around one player equates to worth. How many players have been released by teams and been immediately sought after? And many times, those players have performed miserably.

I know DRob would be picked up instantly, and thats because he's a good to very good corner. He just didn't play like it last year

Vinny
08-03-2007, 09:04 PM
And if my opinions aren't good enough, listen to Joyner's assessment:isn't this the same Joyner that claimed a few years ago that David Carr was the next great QB in the NFL based on his metrics?

gtexan02
08-03-2007, 09:40 PM
isn't this the same Joyner that claimed a few years ago that David Carr was the next great QB in the NFL based on his metrics?

I dont anyone can be expected to be 100% accurate 100% of the time,

still though, Im pretty sure most of us here on the Texans board hoped Carr would be a great QB based on his measureables.

Thats where most of Mario's support comes from, too

Wolf
08-03-2007, 10:39 PM
is our secondary THAT bad (or were?) ...to me, I don't care if you have deon sanders,joey browner, ronnie lott,lester hayes ( I am throwing out names that first come to mind as cb/safeties).. in the secondary, if the defensive line cannot get pressure .. WR's will get open (esp with d-robs case)and make the secondary look bad (heck even willie anderson schooled deon a time with jim everett at QB) For me it was sickening that about the only time we could get pressure on a QB is when we "brought the house"

IF okoye and williams and crew can generate any kind of semi-pass rush this season (captain obvious speaking), I think we will be pleasantly suprised with our secondary even with D-rob,brown,earl, ??? back there

kiwitexansfan
08-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Ignore this if this has been raised but hasn't DRob come out recently and said that prior to this year he didn't take giving up catches personally.

As a person who has been a defender in every sport I have ever played I can't get my head around that attitude.

He has said that he is going to take it personally this year and I think that change in attitude will take him to the next level.

Hook'er
08-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Hope D-Rob makes the probowl in '07!

junior
08-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Good too see Bennet follow Robinson maybe he too will talk about other performances on the team all the while he has a whopping 3 ints in the last 2 years. if it wasnt for carr this guy probably would have been a 2 time pro bowler. i just dont respect player who is quick to point out others definciencies while they a are playing below average football. take care of your business first then talk. he has only proven to be a no. 2 corner, when glenn was here and no. 1 he had his only good year since he was put in our our no. 1 he has been below par for a no. 1 its that simple.

look at ryans yeah the defense was awful but he did his job if we had 11 players with his effort rather than robinsons effort we would be great.

robinsons effort makes him good ryans makes him great.