PDA

View Full Version : Jake and the Fast Man

Wolf
08-03-2007, 02:51 AM
With apologies to Dan LaFontaine…

In a world where everything is uncertain, one young kick returner finds a way to keep on running. His name is Jerome Mathis, and after running all the way from a small school with big dreams, tragedy struck when hamstrings tightened. But now, with his legs running again, he’s ready for a once-in-a-lifetime comeback.

Payback. This time, it’s for real.

Jerome Mathis might not receive top billing on our training camp playbills, but what he’s done through this first full week of workouts is something of a blockbusting showstopper of a performance. He’s made it through healthy, and he’s looked good doing it.

Jerome Mathis… this is not your older brother’s Corey Bradfor

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/scout/scout148.html

TK_Gamer
08-03-2007, 03:45 AM
I wish Mathis the best this year, he is trully a dangerous weapon on the football field and we should all apprecate how lucky we are to have him.

MightyTExan
08-03-2007, 08:22 AM
If he can stay healthy and has good hands, he could be like Steve Smith. That would be an awesome weapon with AJ.

gtexan02
08-03-2007, 09:25 AM
He and Devin Hester have a lot in common.

DieselDeac
08-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Mathis has more straight line, track sprinter speed than anyone I've ever seen in the NFL.

Lucky
08-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Mathis looked like an NFL receiver, last night. Running routes, catching with his hands, getting off the LOS, putting himself between the ball and the defender. He also turned into a DB, and deflected a sure interception for Bennett. Jones looked very good, too. Those two could turn a problem area into a position of strength if they continue to play well.

rmartin65
08-03-2007, 12:12 PM
This is awsome. One of my favorite players. Lets just hope he stays healthy.

Specnatz
08-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Mathis looked like an NFL receiver, last night. Running routes, catching with his hands, getting off the LOS, putting himself between the ball and the defender. He also turned into a DB, and deflected a sure interception for Bennett. Jones looked very good, too. Those two could turn a problem area into a position of strength if they continue to play well.

Good info, I have been extremely critical of Mathis and I honestly never thought he would make it out of camp. if this is to continue he will have a much more crucial role this year than could have been thought of.

Porky
08-03-2007, 03:02 PM
If he can stay healthy, he is a weapon for sure in the return game, and it sounds like he is making major progress in becoming a legit weapon at WR. The key phrase is IF he can stay healthy. :devilpig:

mexican_texan
08-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Be honest. Who thought this was a Jake Plummer thread?

powerfuldragon
08-03-2007, 03:32 PM
me.

:hides:

badboy
08-03-2007, 03:40 PM
This real good news. Thanks.

HOU-TEX
08-03-2007, 04:06 PM
If he can stay healthy, he is a weapon for sure in the return game, and it sounds like he is making major progress in becoming a legit weapon at WR. The key phrase is IF he can stay healthy. :devilpig:

This is true, but I believe he wouldn't be as missed this year as he was last season. JJ's looking pretty dadgum sharp lately. IMO, he and Mathis have been equally impressive at returns. I'll give JJ the edge at the WR position.

Behind JJ, we have Bethel and Wynn too. Having Mathis healthy would just be an added bonus. I just hope the spot he takes on the roster isn't one we'll regret.:texflag:

badboy
08-03-2007, 04:30 PM
This is true, but I believe he wouldn't be as missed this year as he was last season. JJ's looking pretty dadgum sharp lately. IMO, he and Mathis have been equally impressive at returns. I'll give JJ the edge at the WR position.

Behind JJ, we have Bethel and Wynn too. Having Mathis healthy would just be an added bonus. I just hope the spot he takes on the roster isn't one we'll regret.:texflag:Good point. If Mathis has his wheels back and is replaying his first season, he will definitely be worth a roster spot. Having said that, what if his receiver skills (even with his speed) have him low on list of WR? Do the other guys on the team allow Mathis to be cut or traded? Or can we afford to keep a potential Pro bowler at returns and let another player go? I am saying we keep him.

Vega
08-03-2007, 04:40 PM
The thing is many of the super stud return men in recent years have been mediocre at their regular position (see Dante Hall, Devin Hester, Jermaine Lewis, the beer truck guy who's name escapes me right now). As a result, it's been a bit of a tradeoff for those teams between keeping them around for returns or keeping another more versatile player on the team.

If Mathis can be a legit receiving threat, that would give us a nice toy that few teams have. Plus since he wouldn't be expected to carry TOO much of the offensive load, we could keep throwing him back for returns without fear that a potential injury would cripple the offense.

Specnatz
08-03-2007, 04:51 PM
me.

:hides:

:gun: same here.

brakos82
08-04-2007, 12:56 PM

over here! :shades: